• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

StUnNeR H2K

Why not just add more servers and reduce the capacity of the current servers... It's probably to late to do this though, since this is just like what happen with Star Wars: The Old Republic, were they added a ton of servers just to watch the population die due to the fact nobody could play it the first few days.

SaberVulcan

let's all redo our region. my city is shit anyways lol.

The first GAF server I was on... oh god was awful. I am positive that none of my neighbors built schools (including me) I had criminals from 4 cities running around on a mountaintop city with only 1 main road that was constantly backed up.

Why not just add more servers and reduce the capacity of the current servers... It's probably to late to do this though, since this is just like what happen with Star Wars: The Old Republic, were they added a ton of servers just to watch the population die due to the fact nobody could play it the first few days.

Im guessing that they really didnt think it through, and expected their servers to be able to handle the load, or they just didnt give a fuck and release the game before their servers were ready. Or maybe Maxis was in charge of the servers instead of, for example, the EA people who setup the TOR servers, and they had no idea wtf to do.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I would say that Diablo 3 didn't teach EA anything, but I am sure it taught them that gamers will put up with a subpar launch and still support and play the game so why make sure the launch goes smoothly?

How long did it take for Diablo 3 to get sorted out? A week or 2?

chiablo

I'm pretending that the game's release was delayed a week; so the actual release date for me is 3/12/13.

You suckers get to suffer through the pre-release beta while I reap the benefits of a stable launch.

sangreal

Couple questions about regions... I'm playing by myself in a private region and they don't seem to interact at all. I tried setting up services between the regions but:

a) they dont show up when I switch regions unless I quit and reload the whole region
b) they dont seem to work even then (but I recall something about there being a built-in timer before they work)

Also I tried sending my second city a gift of a ton of simoleons but it never showed up. none of the graphs in the region view or even the amount of simoleons each city has update without reloading the region also.

Finally, a lot of buildings have a requirement that 'xxx has been built in the region'. does this really mean "in the city?" because building the pre-req in another city in the region doesnt work for me.

anyone?

Alright, just woke up so Discovery Delta 2 people send me a message on origin and I'll invite you. Servers are working as on now so there should be no issues.

Edit: Having a garbage problem, have lots of people complaining. When it says 5,216 of 36,007 am I only collecting a fifth of the garbage everyday? What do I do to correct this?

JWong

Banned
Ugh, I hate the city spaces with only one highway entrance. I'm just looking at the entrance being backed up all the way off the screen.

Alright, just woke up so Discovery Delta 2 people send me a message on origin and I'll invite you. Servers are working as on now so there should be no issues.

Edit: Having a garbage problem, have lots of people complaining. When it says 5,216 of 36,007 am I only collecting a fifth of the garbage everyday? What do I do to correct this?

More garbage trucks or second dump? Also, heavy traffic will prevent your garbage trucks from picking it up in a timely manner. You can also try to get a neighboring city to send in garbage trucks.

N-Bomb

More garbage trucks or second dump? Also, heavy traffic will prevent your garbage trucks from picking it up in a timely manner. You can also try to get a neighboring city to send in garbage trucks.

How does one deal w/ traffic effectively? I've got busses going, streetcars along the main street...

Koomaster

Oh those cities are probably gone my friend
Yeah my boyfriend has lost every city he has made since launch because of these server issues. They either mysteriously vanish or don't save or the game refuses to let him access them any further.

Not sure how this launch could be any worse. He either can't get into the game, or when he does all his work just goes up in smoke.

btkadams

it's hard to sift through the server headaches in here. when the game is working, how do you guys like it? is this the return of the 2000 addiction? i haven't played a simcity since maybe 2002.

Covfan

Absolutely love the game (when I can play it). Game crapped out for me in the tutorial mode and hasn't let me log in since. Will persevere though.

I didn't think anything could be worse than Diablo 3's initial launch. But this... this takes the cake. I couldn't play a single game uninterrupted, whether it's a client crash or a server issue.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
WUVQujm.jpg

from http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/19ulaw/i_got_bored_while_waiting_for_the_simcity_servers/

How does one deal w/ traffic effectively? I've got busses going, streetcars along the main street...

Use park & Rides as well, place a whole bunch of them around. Upgrade street density, use avenues & Streetcars, set up passenger rail,

dont be afraid to bulldoze an entire neighborhood to re-plan the roads for efficiency, its pretty much a necessity in this game.

Spl1nter

Use park & Rides as well, place a whole bunch of them around. Upgrade street density, use avenues & Streetcars, set up passenger rail,

dont be afraid to bulldoze an entire neighborhood to re-plan the roads for efficiency, its pretty much a necessity in this game.

Bus terminals!!! so critical for commuting to other cities in region.

Darklord

Banned
How exactly do you get sims more money? The low income earners say they don't have enough but what do you do it increase it?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If we can have a few posts without complaining, can someone answer this?

Nobody has answered this yet, so:

Resetting the entire region is like deleting it and restarting it - all resources and cities are reset, but so is your money. It is literally like abandoning it and leaving it to rot in a little corner of the server where nobody will ever find it, while you start a new one :p

N-Bomb

Bus terminals!!! so critical for commuting to other cities in region.

Is there some specific place to place these? I have a terminal downtown... are they more effective near the highway?

Such a learning curve! Not many of the mechanics are explained :\

N-Bomb

Am I wrong, or are a lot of the analytics from previous games missing? I can't see a listing of unemployment, for example.

RS4-

Was at 80k for a while, decided to demolish 3 blocks of an area, gained 25k residents.

Too bad it's still in the middle of where my coal is. Just going to save up, relocate my city hall (again for the third time) just to have access to the coal and build the stupid boat building as well.

Top Bottom