• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

syoaran

I can't even share resources between the cities... did they also deactivate that feature? :roll:

Regional demand feels very confusing. I build a ton of houses when residential demand in the region is really high, and demand is reduced - but then all industry in the region complains that there are no workers and close up. Could be a server issue, but I saw the same thing happen during the second beta.

I really wish I had just cancelled my order , I really like what I've played , but this is all utter bullshit that I feel embarrassed to have supported financially.

Don't be. You and many others are now lost customers to future 'always-online' EA titles. I'm a huge SimCity fan and no matter how excited I am for a game now, I won't be buying it day 1 if it's always online, especially under EA.

ekim

I also think that all those alleged calculations on the server can be done offline. You can find your cities' state files in the simcityUserdata sub folder. If I would guess the only thing that happens is, that this file will be uploaded to the servers. If you now play alone you wouldn't need any server for calculating how many people from your first coty work in another city or how many money you get from selling water. These calculations should be peanuts.

sangreal

I also think that all those alleged calculations on the server can be done offline. You can find your cities' state files in the simcityUserdata sub folder. If I would guess the only thing that happens is, that this file will be uploaded to the servers. If you now play alone you wouldn't need any server for calculating how many people from your first coty work in another city or how many money you get from selling water. These calculations should be peanuts.

I played the game for a significant amount of time with that disconnected message in the top left

Orbis

The current theory is that most of the simulation is server side so slowing it down will help relive the servers.
Nah the game can actually run fine for a short period when the internet connection is lost so the city simulation seems to be client side. Probably just data being uploaded/downloaded more frequently which adds to server load.

EDIT: Already mentioned above.

I don't think they will if you've already used the key? Could be wrong though.

I haven't tried yet, but I will definitely will be trying for a refund if the servers are still down on Friday. I hope GMG won't put up much resistance with the Sale of Goods Act waved in their face. If a product is not fit for purpose you should be eligible for a refund right? Its the law.

AzerPhire

I haven't tried yet, but I will definitely will be trying for a refund if the servers are still down on Friday. I hope GMG won't put up much resistance with the Sale of Goods Act waved in their face. If a product is not fit for purpose you should be eligible for a refund right? Its the law.

But how will GMG disable the key you already used? If they are unable to deactivate the key you would still be able to play so getting a refund will only hurt GMG and not EA.

Definity

Predictions on how many copies this game sold?

I'm guessing a metric ton based on server performance. I'm sure they will include the number in the "I'm sorry we fucked up" press release.

VALIS

So I finally got in today. The stars were in alignment, the apocalypse is nearing, whatever. I actually got past the loader window, into the game itself, and it knew what GAF-VW3 was!

I hop in and fix my city in preparation for its eventual nukage (so I can start my 2nd city on top of it). Things are going good, I'm checking out what kind of damage I'm about to do to my neighbors, and I hop into Rad's city. It's really nice. Very artistic layout (which leads to some traffic nightmares), I took a few screenshots (that I can't find), go home and ...

... never make it. I'm assuming that means I got kicked out. I get greeted with something I've never seen before (add it to the nightmare screenshot pool):

FFslpcm.png

Oceanic 1 is the biggest dick tease. I constantly log on to that bright green "available" server constantly only to not be able to claim a city or not load the game at all. I have not been able to play a minute of this game since a few hours after it came out early Tuesday morning.

P.S. Today's patch, it secretly throttles the transfer of data from server to client. What normally took ~15'ish seconds to load seems to take ~60 now. I think I've read all of the little loading screen blurbs in one sitting. That's ... sad ...

Nah, this is not new. Sometimes the game would take 10 seconds to load and sometimes it would take 3 minutes. Been like this from the beginning.

KaYotiX

Banned
hopefully more ppl get refunds so there is less stress on the servers......I love the game ALOT. Need to fix the server shit ASAP.

just got my game and i cant log in :(

fuuuck

add me: Omiee

Hey, you appeared!

I'm at work, but add me on Origin: cannibalchef

And if you can, try and get on NA East 2. That way I can add you to the GAF Discovery Delta 1 region that you signed up for (Sawyer's Crossing)

Omiee

Hey, you appeared!

I'm at work, but add me on Origin: cannibalchef

And if you can, try and get on NA East 2. That way I can add you to the GAF Discovery Delta 1 region that you signed up for (Sawyer's Crossing)

yeah it came in today, was delayed with the mail.

i will try to get in that server, but at the moment everything is full or busy.

will add you

SRTtoZ

I thought people were kidding when they said they disabled cheetah speed. WTF, thats a pretty big gameplay feature.

Raven77

Guys if you don't like DRM then Don't Buy The Game!!!

If you don't like MICROTRANSACTIONS, then DON'T buy them!!!

If you don't like Kinect, then DON'T use it!!!

If you don't like MULTIPLAYER in your sequel to a game series that has always been single player, then DON'T play it!!!

The above mentality is what is ruining games. People are so willing to accept the unacceptable it just blows my mind. They don't realize the deeper issues these things cause. Adding multiplayer takes developer time and polish away from single player (and even if it doesnt, it boosts the cost to make the game, which can lead to developer closure if unsuccessful), Kinect is the same. Microtransactions set a horrible horrible precedent. DRM sucks and I don't want to have to skip a game just cause it has an always online component.

People shouldn't have to be quiet about things that are added to (and potentially ruin) franchises they love. We need to start speaking with our wallets.

End of rant.

Top Bottom