• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Guys if you don't like DRM then Don't Buy The Game!!!

If you don't like MICROTRANSACTIONS, then DON'T buy them!!!

If you don't like Kinect, then DON'T use it!!!

If you don't like MULTIPLAYER in your sequel to a game series that has always been single player, then DON'T play it!!!

The above mentality is what is ruining games. People are so willing to accept the unacceptable it just blows my mind. They don't realize the deeper issues these things cause. Adding multiplayer takes developer time and polish away from single player (and even if it doesnt, it boosts the cost to make the game, which can lead to developer closure if unsuccessful), Kinect is the same. Microtransactions set a horrible horrible precedent. DRM sucks and I don't want to have to skip a game just cause it has an always online component.

People shouldn't have to be quiet about things that are added to (and potentially ruin) franchises they love. We need to start speaking with our wallets.

End of rant.
Great idea. I bet if no one bought this SimCity EA would make another one real soon!

ecnal

can anyone explain this to me?

here is the region with the 3 rail connected cities:

Do59d3S.jpg

here's my train station in city 3:

MSdIZ14.jpg

there is absolutely no train commute going on between city 3 and any of the other two cities. the train station has been commuter-less for over 2 weeks of in-game time... what is going on?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Do59d3S.jpg

MSdIZ14.jpg

there is absolutely no train commute going on between city 3 and any of the other two cities. the train station has been commuter-less for over 2 weeks of in-game time... what is going on?

Maybe a stupid question, but do all your cities have train stations?

Do59d3S.jpg

MSdIZ14.jpg

Do all 3 cities have train stations?

Try putting a bus stop next to the train station.

This is also probably related to the server problems. any intercity stuff like trains is controlled by the servers and with them maxed out it is causing bugs like this.

Slacker

http://i.imgur.com/Do59d3S.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MSdIZ14.jpg

I'm going to go out on a huge limb here and say it's a bug. Hopefully that's the only one we encounter. :)

a few quick questions:

is there a way to undo your last move? I just started playing and keep making mistakes with the roads

is there a way to just reset the city without abandoning and creating a whole new game?

how do you invite a friend to your region after you have already started your city?

I'm going to go out on a huge limb here and say it's a bug. Hopefully that's the only one we encounter. :)
You haven't gotten the Schrodingers buildings that phase in and out of existence yet?

a few quick questions:

is there a way to undo your last move? I just started playing and keep making mistakes with the roads

is there a way to just reset the city without abandoning and creating a whole new game?

how do you invite a friend to your region after you have already started your city?
No

No

Not sure about #3

Raven77

Great idea. I bet if no one bought this SimCity EA would make another one real soon!

Lol you really want them to make another one after this? Can you even imagine? It will probably come with a finger print reader that you have to hook up after logging in. Only 1 player per copy!

AppleMIX

If you don't like MULTIPLAYER in your sequel to a game series that has always been single player, then DON'T play it!!!

The above mentality is what is ruining games. People are so willing to accept the unacceptable it just blows my mind. They don't realize the deeper issues these things cause. Adding multiplayer takes developer time and polish away from single player (and even if it doesnt, it boosts the cost to make the game, which can lead to developer closure if unsuccessful), Kinect is the same. Microtransactions set a horrible horrible precedent. DRM sucks and I don't want to have to skip a game just cause it has an always online component.

People shouldn't have to be quiet about things that are added to (and potentially ruin) franchises they love. We need to start speaking with our wallets.

End of rant.

You're not making sense. If you don't buy a game because of DRM then you are speaking with your wallets.

End of rant.

I spoke with my wallet and bought it because I don't feel that games must always be solo experiences and there's nothing wrong in rebooting a game into an community focused one.

ecnal

Maybe a stupid question, but do all your cities have train stations?

yeah, all 3 have train stations.

This is also probably related to the server problems. any intercity stuff like trains is controlled by the servers and with them maxed out it is causing bugs like this.

yeah, all 3 have train stations.

the other two cities have bus stops and/or street car stops by the train station.

maybe due to the servers?

:(

Shane86

None of the intercity trade was working for me either, was playing a city for 2 hours before it said I was connected to the region, then a mayor from another city took a tour, trade still didn't work.

sangreal

a few quick questions:

go to main menu, then click play (not resume) and load your region. there should be an invite button

Raven77

Sorry in my drunken, Paramater-string induced rage my post is a bit nonsensical. To summarize, gamers need to quit "accepting" things and start showing they are unhappy by not supporting companies who force this stuff into games we love.

Idk, its late, Im tired, and my citizens need me EA!!!

Septimius

End of rant.

tl;dr: If you don't buy the game, don't buy it is the wrong attitude, but vote with your wallet. What?

Lothars

I spoke with my wallet and bought it because I don't feel that games must always be solo experiences and there's nothing wrong in rebooting a game into an community focused one.
I feel the same way and that's what I did as well, I wish the servers were up and running consistently but I don't regret buying it at all.

Raven77 - your post made no sense, your saying that if people say they are boycotting the game or not buying it than they are speaking with their wallets.

Sorry in my drunken, Paramater-string induced rage my post is a bit nonsensical. To summarize, gamers need to quit "accepting" things and start showing they are unhappy by not supporting companies who force this stuff into games we love.

Idk, its late, Im tired, and my citizens need me EA!!!
Oh OK

Twinduct

Christ finally unlocked ... time to download the launcher and hopefully I can play tomorrow. Lesson learned, never fucking pre-order.

Raven77

Not saying it isn't a good game. But the DRM-disguised changes are just out of line. I can't even imagine what they may try to pull with a sequel.

I like the game, I truly do, I both love and hate the small city size. It forces me to squeeze every precious ounce of productivity out of every inch of land I have. At the same time, an expanded city sized offline mode would be most welcome.

blazeuk

But how will GMG disable the key you already used? If they are unable to deactivate the key you would still be able to play so getting a refund will only hurt GMG and not EA.

I imagine GMG have a fairly decent relationship with most publishers that they could request keys to be disabled and then have new ones issued to them. I'd find it surprising if they couldn't do that since a large part of their business is based around issuing keys, without the ability to disable them, they'd be open for all sorts of abuse.

Bricky

FINALLY get in a server, FINALLY get in the tutorial (again), skip it by going back to the main menu, and now I can't make a new region or join one. EA is just trolling me right now.

Nlroh

I suppose I've been lucky, I haven't had a single server problem and I've been playing since Monday. But this is ridiculous, I don't know what were they thinking, this no cheetah speed nonsense makes the game unplayable.

Veritas_

My apologies to whoever claimed my "New Vegas" city. I was halfway through demolishing the whole thing to start over and somehow I ended up abandoning it. Hopefully you've got enough cash to get started.

Top Bottom