• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

JambiBum

New page as I'm sure it got lost in the server talk. Does anyone have their 20 dollar off code that they would be willing to give me? I would appreciate it.

StUnNeR H2K

So now the server is "Busy" and I have to wait to login. I understand when an MMO get's hammered day like this, but this is stupid. They were not prepared for this at all. All those beta test were just a big waste of time since ultimately we are beta testing the servers now. Problem will solve it self by the end of the week when the majority of everyone gives up.

Welp I think I managed to completely fuck my city. Had a Nuclear power plant going, and everything was just fine, and then all of a sudden my skilled workers level dropped a bunch. I tried countering it by building another community college, but it was too late. Nuclear meltdown on one reactor. Now tons of my land is uninhabitable. Does radiation ever go away?

I'm really, really hating the limited amount of space. It's making me play SimCity in a completely different way than previous ones, and I don't like it. I hate feeling so restricted and having to worry about the absolute most optimal way to lay stuff down.

RedWaltz79

Neo Member
New page as I'm sure it got lost in the server talk. Does anyone have their 20 dollar off code that they would be willing to give me? I would appreciate it.

Me too. If anyone has a $20.00 code they don't plan on using, I was going to buy a game, so it would help greatly.

Thanks. If not, that's cool also.

RedWaltz79

Neo Member
So now the server is "Busy" and I have to wait to login. I understand when an MMO get's hammered day like this, but this is stupid. They were not prepared for this at all. All those beta test were just a big waste of time since ultimately we are beta testing the servers now. Problem will solve it self by the end of the week when the majority of everyone gives up.

I think it is manly the East 1 server having all the issues... a lot of the other servers work fine. I have a city on West 1 and haven't had an issue yet.

We should move the official GAF server to a different service.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I am a bit bummed right now; not necessarily because I can't play, but this just seems like one big mess. I am also a bit disappointed with how many regions there are, the size of them (of course) and the lack of extra fun things to do (like scenarios). The game just feels really bare bones right now.

This was sort of an impulse buy for me, kind of like Diablo 3; I bought into all the hype. I don't regret buying the game at this point, because I believe it can still be fun. However, at this point, I sort of wish I spent my $40.00 on the latest Sims 3 expansion...lol at least I know that game works fine and has a ton of content in it.
What bums me out is none of this is necessary.

Simcity needn't be always online - optional is fine, but mandatory? Why?

Its disappointing to see a series so widely loved go out like this because of unnecessary changes. The amount of uproar should be enough evidence if this.

JambiBum

If you are trying to use it to buy SimCity, it won't work. It only works on specific games.

I know, I want to use it for DS3. Basically what happened is that I used mine for it, went to check out, and then origin fucked up like usual and it basically ate my code and I can't use it now.

RedWaltz79

Neo Member
Well, crap. Oh well! You can still use it if you want, JambiBum! I'm not going to. My main source of DD games is Steam, and I don't see myself switching ever.

I was looking to buy one of the eligible games, so if you guys don't want to use it... I could sure use it.

What bums me out is none of this is necessary.

Simcity needn't be always online - optional is fine, but mandatory? Why?

Its disappointing to see a series so widely loved go out like this because of unnecessary changes. The amount of uproar should be enough evidence if this.

Let's not get too carried away. It isn't going to "go out." If anything, the problems are evocative of just how popular it is, if anything. I mean, I'm disappointed in the current state of things and I even buy into the always online social design (and can understand why people don't, but I'm OK with it.) But when your reasoning for being always online is to be a social game, to tell people to "Go play on other servers" totally negates the design. That's why I'm frustrated at the moment. I was ready to play SimCity as they'd designed it, and am being told I can't play it as they designed it.

Goodness, so many issues with the game and the DRM but one thing I'm a big fan of is the soundtrack. Hot dang, is it pretty amazing

Someone put the whole thing to listen to youtube as one big video, and so far it's great! I'm tempted to buy it when/if it gets released on amazon/itunes just so I can listen to it in my car.

Koomaster

Is it possible to lose a city or something due to error?

My boyfriend's city he has been playing tonight won't load anymore. Game keeps saying it can't load city. Is there any way to fix this? Is it server related or game related?

Also, he got tired of trying to log into his city and decided to start a new region. Played for 30 min. and the game crashed. Now there is a 20 min. queue to log in. So we don't know if the game has saved his 2nd city or what is going on.

My boyfriend's city he has been playing tonight won't load anymore. Game keeps saying it can't load city. Is there any way to fix this? Is it server related or game related?

Also, he got tired of trying to log into his city and decided to start a new region. Played for 30 min. and the game crashed. Now there is a 20 min. queue to log in. So we don't know if the game has saved his 2nd city or what is going on.

Happened to me a few times. I think the crash is actually related to the game trying to sync, thus no, it won't have saved.

Soi-Fong

Here's some shots of my city, Hikari.

Xom.png

Zom.png

apm.png

mavs

A reviewer had this problem, I think it was on Kotaku. They didn't get a fix since the review servers were getting wiped anyway, maybe try Origin live chat?

RoKKeR

Looks great Soi, love that little Town Hall center. Not too congested, its a nice touch.

Damn, wish I was in a region!

Soi-Fong

Looks great Soi, love that little Town Hall center. Not too congested, its a nice touch.

Damn, wish I was in a region!

That was a random region. I'm not even connected to anybody at all so I've had to try to self-support pretty much. As you can see also, I went crazy with the roads and I don't know how to plan roadwork at all.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Let's not get too carried away. It isn't going to "go out." If anything, the problems are evocative of just how popular it is, if anything. I mean, I'm disappointed in the current state of things and I even buy into the always online social design (and can understand why people don't, but I'm OK with it.) But when your reasoning for being always online is to be a social game, to tell people to "Go play on other servers" totally negates the design. That's why I'm frustrated at the moment. I was ready to play SimCity as they'd designed it, and am being told I can't play it as they designed it.
Thing is, I don't think an *always* online design is necessary for SimCity to be SimCity. Optional, (like SC4), is perfectly fine. I get the idea that making it social takes it into new directions, but when it isn't ready for it, why not have a different option?

Also, I don't want to wait 10+ years to see what else changes. SC4 lasted so long because of community support...which is unconfirmed at this point. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth as to the future of the series.

However, if you're enjoying it, enjoy it. I don't want to sway any positive experiences.

yogloo

Wow. This thread is moving fast. I can barely keep up with it. I think the US server is borked. It's busy to me all the time. I have been playing in Euro servers and everything is fine and dandy. I'll try to get in discovery delta 3 as soon as I can get into the US server. All the friend requests just came in earlier today.

Wow. This thread is moving fast. I can barely keep up with it. I think the US server is borked. It's busy to me all the time. I have been playing in Euro servers and everything is fine and dandy. I'll try to get in discovery delta 3 as soon as I can get into the US server. All the friend requests just came in earlier today.

I can get on the EU servers, but I can't create a city :( I'm in queue again for NA servers hoping it will work this time.

Soi-Fong

Yeah I BSOD every so often if I either

1. Alt+tab out while im playing with my city

2. open it when I have my two monitors on

I also have dodgy flickering when I highlight something.

I've had this too. Goddamn I thought I was the only one. I've had numerous crashes and thought it was my computer so uninstalled and redownloaded and installed and it still happens.

Sinistral

First attempt. Sort of, did a few practice runs of 30 mins before I settled on trying to break out of the square grid mentality.

Fun game! Mind you I was playing on the European Servers being Canadian, I have not run into any server issues aside from being disconnected once, didn't lose anything nor did the game suddenly stop working. Had a few crashes when switching regions though.

While people complain about city sizes, it is a valid concern, I very much enjoy the more micro focus on the cities special buildings, upgrading them, etc. Can't wait for big ass cities but it is a lot of fun as is.

Zona

Well I'm in love with this game. But can whoever it is who has the city next to me in delta 3 please kindly tell you citizens to STOP VISITING! Their grid locking my city. Heh

Game forced me to upgrade my card. Looks so good now. I probably put a 1000 hours into simcity 2000 back in the day, and I'm loving this game so far.

Ranger X

I would like city size impressions and its impact on the game so far for you guys.

From outside, it completely kills my will to buy this.

Top Bottom