• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity |OT| It's not the simulation or city that matter, it's <parameter: string>

Rad-

Got to play a little bit. The size issue is actually worse than I thought. It forced me to scrap my original city layout because it simply didn't fit into the borders! And my idea wasn't even that large.

But still when the online works it's a fun, solid game.

RoKKeR

I've tried 4 times now to build a new city in my private region and am crashing to desktop just a few minutes in. Suppose I'll just stick with my first city for now.

mavs

I would like city size impressions and its impact on the game so far for you guys.

From outside, it completely kills my will to buy this.

The main effects are 1) it exacerbates the painful process of reworking your city layout when something isn't working and 2) it makes the overall function of your city extremely volatile, as two or three individual buildings can disrupt almost your entire city if their condition changes, even if they are changing for the better.

There's enough micromanaging that the tiny size doesn't draw all of your ire. Once you get started the simulation itself will give you all you can handle.

Ballistik

So I did two cities in one of the Europe servers, I come back and now they're not on any of the servers... I just went through each one.

Lol i finally got on, into my Gaf region, and crashed in about 2 minutes. I'll try again tomorrow haha

Yeah, feels like it's just you and me in the region and we're on opposite sides. This game was not made for soloplay :(

Sorry guys :( its not working real well for me today.

anyone else having issues where it says "incorrect login information. please check your credentials and try again".

it happens at the server menu screen thing and every time, i have to restart origin just to fix it.

then when im in game, i can't even play the tutorial. it's frozen. i can move the camera, but all the HUD is unclickable. i can't do shit.

Jealous. :( Two of them aren't even claimed, the other one was claimed but hasn't been played at all.

Posted this picture a few pages back, since then the other one to the right of me has been claimed and is bustling. Mind you the city closest to me there is sending over all his criminals -.-

city2mkk7.png

First attempt. Sort of, did a few practice runs of 30 mins before I settled on trying to break out of the square grid mentality.

Fun game! Mind you I was playing on the European Servers being Canadian, I have not run into any server issues aside from being disconnected once, didn't lose anything nor did the game suddenly stop working. Had a few crashes when switching regions though.

While people complain about city sizes, it is a valid concern, I very much enjoy the more micro focus on the cities special buildings, upgrading them, etc. Can't wait for big ass cities but it is a lot of fun as is.

Pretty. You've got an eye for design.

anyone else having issues where it says "incorrect login information. please check your credentials and try again".

it happens at the server menu screen thing and every time, i have to restart origin just to fix it.

then when im in game, i can't even play the tutorial. it's frozen. i can move the camera, but all the HUD is unclickable. i can't do shit.

I'm having the same problem with the tutorial. Idk what's going onnnn

Raven77

All progress stopped till I figured out how the land value works.

GO to the park and nature button, click on the "land value map" on the right hand side (its the symbol for Simoleons)

Now start dropping parks EVERYWHERE to get your land value to darkish blue. Once that happens, sit back, hit fast forward, and watch the skyscrapers get constructed.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just waited the full 20 minutes for the queue, and right after just got put into another one.. God damnit.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
All progress stopped till I figured out how the land value works.

GO to the park and nature button, click on the "land value map" on the right hand side (its the symbol for Simoleons)

Now start dropping parks EVERYWHERE to get your land value to darkish blue. Once that happens, sit back, hit fast forward, and watch the skyscrapers get constructed.

Take note that each park ($, $$ or $$$) will increase the value of the land to that amount (so you don't end up with a bunch of rich Sims but no work class). Use that to make the Sims in that area happier, without making them richer. That way they'll increase density but not change class. That way you can better control your population.

There are other ways to increase land value: Some schools increase low and medium wealth, some tourist attractions increase high wealth, proximity to city services, so on and so forth.

In other words, take your time reading the descriptions.

So I can go onto the other servers but it won't let me claim and areas any it's the same when I try to create a region from scratch, so pretty much I can't play at all. FUCKING AWESOME

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just waited the full 20 minutes for the queue, and right after just got put into another one.. God damnit.

Ok, first time I've experienced the queue.

I will now join the rage.

So I can go onto the other servers but it won't let me claim and areas and it's the same when I try to create a region from scratch, so pretty much I can't play at all. FUCKING AWESOME

Another crash... OMG.. Lol Fucking server issues.

I am on my 3rd 20 minute queue at this point.
damn

Just opened the game (disc copy!), installed the game, tried to claim a city and the game tells me that I can't claim a city and to try again endlessly. Is this the server issues that everyone has been talking about? I didn't get any server messages but I don't see any other reason for this to happen.

It's an amazing game mind you, but these server issues are annoying.

I can't figure out if my un-ability to claim any areas is server issues too or something else

Just opened the game (disc copy!), installed the game, tried to claim a city and the game tells me that I can't claim a city and to try again endlessly. Is this the server issues that everyone has been talking about? I didn't get any server messages but I don't see any other reason for this to happen.

That's exactly whats happening to me

Mobius 1

My region is empty. Cmon people, I got a shitty terrain and made something out of it. Join up and let me sell you some services.

eastmen

Banned
My region is empty. Cmon people, I got a shitty terrain and made something out of it. Join up and let me sell you some services.

I'd love to but even when I pick a server on the other side of the world it kicks me in 15 mins and then makes me do the starter town. While in the starter town I can't build anything cause nothing shows up in the sub menus to build.

Horrible game

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Everyone's city is so beautiful. I have to break out of my square grid mentality.

No, but the square grid is the best for optimal terrain usage!

However, be aware that the regular "small" grid does not support dense industrial (and probably doesn't support dense residential either, so i'm probably fucked!)

Ran into a bug where all I could hear was just sirens going on and on even if I went into the main menu. Decided to restart game, bam queue.

Can't get into any NA servers, decided to hell with it might as well try for Europe or Oceania. Can't even start a city/game on my own or join without getting "Can't claim the city currently, try claiming again" error.

I don't think I've ever been so frustrated or flabbergasted at a game's launch (and yes I've been through some of the more notorious ones).

For a SimCity game, this is utterly deplorable.

The game itself is pretty fun, still trying to figure out the specialization features (trying to do the tech route). Still trying to figure best optimal but aesthetically pleasing layout.

Edit: Has there been any response or message from the SimCity team about this crap??!!

Mugaaz

Sorry but no, I can't. You either make your own region and don't use the website, or you create the website region with the people in it. Don't want to be a dick but I'm not gonna kick people that registered the way they should, like it's says in the OP.

Well someone just took my spot in the region, awesome. Lost 2 saves, wait 2 hours to get on this server, go through tutorial, then someone takes my spot. Fucking shit.

i'm like seriously ready to bash my monitor into pieces. i've never been so frustrated with a launch game ever. diablo 3 had a shitty launch, but at least i was able to play the damn game.

some servers force me to do the tutorial, but it's a dead tutorial. i enter the city and there's no prompts and the HUD buttons are disabled, there's nothing going on and i quit to menu and it forces me to do the same shit. i choose another server and it's the same crap. i finally choose euro west 2 and i'm able to bypass the tutorial and create a private region so i can practice and then when i click claim city.. it says it cannot create the city at this time..WTF. it's a damn private region.. .create the damn city so i can practice damnit.

i'm so fed up right now and i'm not accepting any "forgive us cuz it's launch day" bullshit. you created a damn online always game for one of the most popular pc franchises of all time and you gave us shitty ass severs to deal with. xbox live would handle this shit better over a p2p network. ugh!

/rant

edit: i finally got into the city and guess what!! i can't build anything. i click roads and there's nothing in there. i can't select crap and i'm forced to quit and then forced to go play a tutorial again where i can't do shit in the tutorial.. it's a damn never ending cycle of not being able to play.

shame on you EA & Maxis. you completely failed me

RoKKeR

Does anybody know how to change the orientation of a building? I'm trying to set an oil plant and would like to rotate it 90 degrees.

Pyrogeek

Does anybody know how to change the orientation of a building? I'm trying to set an oil plant and would like to rotate it 90 degrees.

The buildings orientate toward the road piece you are setting them against, so the only way to do this would be to build a road in the right direction so the oil plant orientates the way you want.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The buildings orientate toward the road piece you are setting them against, so the only way to do this would be to build a road in the right direction so the oil plant orientates the way you want.

Which is the fucking worst, because in order to get the best amount of oil extraction, you need to place the plant on a specific location, but you just don't know that location until you've built about 16 different roads to figure it out where is it.

VALIS

For all this rage, and I think most of it is justified, if they can get their server issues sorted and somehow expand the city size, this would be an excellent game. I think most would agree.

smr00

Banned
So glad i paid $60 for a game i can't even play with friends or by myself for that matter. It won't let me create a goddamn region or anything.

Get your fucking shit together EA. If i could get a refund for this shit i would in a heart beat because this is utter bullshit. I will never in my life buy another EA game on launch, I'll wait for a $5 amazon/GMG/GG price.

This thread is depressing. I'm so glad I decided not to buy but I'm very disappointed so many people chose to give money to a model they claim to hate, again.

Lothars

This thread is depressing. I'm so glad I decided not to buy but I'm very disappointed so many people chose to give money to a model they claim to hate, again.
I don't hate the model and I don't have an issue with it being used for Sim City or Diablo 3 but I wish it would work great from launch on.

smr00

Banned
Wait what?

A queue for playing the game? lol

I guess this settles it, I was considering this game or Anno.

Anno it s.
Queuing is just half the problem.

Quite a few people including myself can't even make regions or create games to play by ourselves because we keep getting errors and our friends list wont even load when we get into games. This is Diablo 3 level shit fest and i see clearly now.. I see why so many people have hatred towards Origin and EA in general.

This left a bad taste in my mouth, a taste that is never going to go away.

I don't hate the model and I don't have an issue with it being used for Sim City or Diablo 3 but I wish it would work great from launch on.
Online DRM? Don't care long as it works.

This? This ain't working. It's been shit since the game went live and EA's solution? Add 2 servers.

Hellcrow

Oh wow, joining a non-full server, and I can't claim any new region. I thought maybe EA would drop the ball with launch server stability, but I did not think they would trip on it, roll down the stairs, crack their head and manage to piss everyone off in the process.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
i'm like seriously ready to bash my monitor into pieces. i've never been so frustrated with a launch game ever. diablo 3 had a shitty launch, but at least i was able to play the damn game.

some servers force me to do the tutorial, but it's a dead tutorial. i enter the city and there's no prompts and the HUD buttons are disabled, there's nothing going on and i quit to menu and it forces me to do the same shit. i choose another server and it's the same crap. i finally choose euro west 2 and i'm able to bypass the tutorial and create a private region so i can practice and then when i click claim city.. it says it cannot create the city at this time..WTF. it's a damn private region.. .create the damn city so i can practice damnit.

i'm so fed up right now and i'm not accepting any "forgive us cuz it's launch day" bullshit. you created a damn online always game for one of the most popular pc franchises of all time and you gave us shitty ass severs to deal with. xbox live would handle this shit better over a p2p network. ugh!

/rant

edit: i finally got into the city and guess what!! i can't build anything. i click roads and there's nothing in there. i can't select crap and i'm forced to quit and then forced to go play a tutorial again where i can't do shit in the tutorial.. it's a damn never ending cycle of not being able to play.

shame on you EA & Maxis. you completely failed me

I had the exact same experience as you, but I was able to build in the plot the game finally let me have. Played for 25 minutes, and the game crashed to desktop.

Then I went through the entire process again. An hour later, I finally got back to my region, and my city wasn't there. I started a new one, then 15 minutes into that one the game crashed to desktop.

Top Bottom