• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity V (2013, EA/Maxis) - screens/artwork [Up: Details, Should Be More March 6th]

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Question

Is it normal that Sim City 4 performs really badly even on a modern pc? Whenever my city gets any decent size, the whole thing starts to choke and stutter.

Is it because of Windows 7? Is it because I don't have the "right" pc components? Is it because -for some insane reason- a 9 year old game is still to heavy for my 5 months old pc? Or is it just a badly made game that just can't run smooth at all?

Bam.

zoku88

Roads don't carry power in 2000, so you need to manually ensure that there are power lines between zones across roads.

Water works the same I think, it's that the effective radius of a water pipe is lower so you need more of them.

Oh, you mean, like, if you have two zones that are seperated by a road, you had to make a power line go across the road to make sure both zones are powered?

Actually, now I sorta remember that.

Btw, I like your avatar. Favorite character from that show.

EDIT: Not really sure why I don't remember water in 2000 at all.... It's possible that I just sucked at the game, though. or I have bad memory.

Sober

Question

Is it normal that Sim City 4 performs really badly even on a modern pc? Whenever my city gets any decent size, the whole thing starts to choke and stutter.

Is it because of Windows 7? Is it because I don't have the "right" pc components? Is it because -for some insane reason- a 9 year old game is still to heavy for my 5 months old pc? Or is it just a badly made game that just can't run smooth at all?

Either way, it's one of the contributing factors why I greatly prefer playing SC3000.
Wasn't futureproofed. I think it'll be relatively stable if you set to XP compat. mode, make sure it runs on 1 core and change a file so it recognizes your video card (it'll be too new and technically 'not supported'). People also have had success with a combination of playing in software rendering and turning off shadows (though from what I remember they look super nice).

Haven't played in a long while though.

That seems...excessive for a simcity game.

I've been delaying the dreaded PC upgrade for a while now and haven't yet installed Civ 5, Shogun 2 or Skyrim so it would be for those games as well. SimCity has always been one of my favourite series. I seriously can't wait.

I'm thinking dual GTX680, Intel's 22nm processor and 8GB RAM, that should keep me going for a while. My dual 8800GT set up has been plugging away until now, but it's ageing quite badly.

Hate all you want, but I hope they put in an easily accessible god mode/free mode where you can just build whatever you want to your hearts content without worrying about income. I just like looking at pretty maps and building cool shit.

+1 This is why I loved Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 despite all the haters :p

Minsc

Gold Member
Wasn't futureproofed. I think it'll be relatively stable if you set to XP compat. mode, make sure it runs on 1 core and change a file so it recognizes your video card (it'll be too new and technically 'not supported'). People also have had success with a combination of playing in software rendering and turning off shadows (though from what I remember they look super nice).

Haven't played in a long while though.

I just tried it on Windows 7 64-bit, expecting the worst, it ran pretty well, no tweaking anything. At max settings, 1600x1200, the "big city tutorial" which looks cram-packed with buildings runs at ~30fps. Definitely serviceable, dropping resolution increased performance further too, making it generally 60fps the entire time.

Mr Swine

Banned
I just tried it on Windows 7 64-bit, expecting the worst, it ran pretty well, no tweaking anything. At max settings, 1600x1200, the "big city tutorial" which looks cram-packed with buildings runs at ~30fps. Definitely serviceable, dropping resolution increased performance further too, making it generally 60fps the entire time.

What kind of CPU, GPU and Memory do you have Minsc?

+1 This is why I loved Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 despite all the haters :p

People who hate RCT3 are people who dont now shit about constructing beautiful scenery in theme parks.
RCT3 with the expansions, the patches and the custom scenery is the perfect game to make the theme park of your dreams, exteriors and even interiors of the buildings.
Even if RCT1 and 2 are better simulation games, RCT3 is the better theme park builder.

relaxor

what?
more complex energy management

423153_3467328642405_1246729435_33643765_1166770356_n.jpg

People who hate RCT3 are people who dont now shit about constructing beautiful scenery in theme parks.
RCT3 with the expansions, the patches and the custom scenery is the perfect game to make the theme park of your dreams, exteriors and even interiors of the buildings.
Even if RCT1 and 2 are better simulation games, RCT3 is the better theme park builder.

Don't forget the massive amounts of good custom 'scenery' or mods. The scene even cracked how to make custom rides after 6 years. It just needs a patch to run multi-core and a few other things and it would be perfect..

As for a new sim city?

OMG!!!!

Minsc

Gold Member
What kind of CPU, GPU and Memory do you have Minsc?

i7 920 @ 3.3Ghz + 5870, nothing too crazy. I don't know if it's just the AMD CPUs, but I read a lot of people need to set core affinity to 1 for various games, and I've yet to have to do such a thing with mine. Then again, I also read about tons of AMD GPU issues, and I don't really have much trouble there either.

Most of my hours were spent with Sim City 2000 out of all the games, followed by 3000. Haven't put any time in to 4000 yet, but I keep hearing so many good things about it, I just grabbed it on sale.

A real 3D entry to the series with a well-written, modern engine would be very welcome to me. My hope is such a game would sell well enough to spark interest in looking in to other older sim games too. Sim Golf 2 was mentioned earlier in the thread, I still have the original, and play it time to time. Looks great, but being able to switch to a 3rd person view and play out your course like a Tiger Woods golf game would be sweet. They could put in all sorts of challenges too. Same goes for a lot of the other sim games from the DOS / early windows era.

Black-Box

in all fairness, RCT3 had a lot of problems, and it could of looked so much better

I actually prefer the older versions of sim city. It gets overly complicated after a while. I have no desire to see what people walking on the street look like.

I actually prefer the older versions of sim city. It gets overly complicated after a while. I have no desire to see what people walking on the street look like.

I couldn't be more of a polar opposite from you. The more complexity the better it got. I want it to feel like a real city. I want my decisions to have actual political impact.

MIKEAL

Banned
With the exception of how the people look, it's progressed so much..

Don't see how any ugliness.

I digress. Maybe with SC5 coming out, someone will get the idea to make a new Roller Coaster simulator(tm) game.. One can hope.

I loved that game, the only thing that disappointed me was the way they handled turning, it was janky

edit: on topic, i just started playing simcity 4 again recently, omg i forgot how addicting it was

PLEEEEASE PLEEEASE NO GIMMICKS.

I don't give a shit about shitty "societies", nor lameass cross-product crap with The Sims, nor stupid U Drive missions cluttering my screen, or any of the other shit that has plauged all the recent SimCity games. I just want a clean, unadulterated SimCity as it should be.

And yet, considering how we're dealing with EA here, I'm dreading whatever bullshit "marketable feature" they'll force Maxis to shoehorn in.

Tookay

I don't give a shit about shitty "societies", nor lameass cross-product crap with The Sims, nor stupid U Drive missions cluttering my screen, or any of the other shit that has plauged all the recent SimCity games. I just want a clean, unadulterated SimCity as it should be.

This. I only just got into this series with 4, but I've been yearning for a good sandbox simulator. Don't screw it up EA.

"Exclusive disaster set if you preorder at Gamestop!"

PLEEEEASE PLEEEASE NO GIMMICKS.

And yet, considering how we're dealing with EA here, I'm dreading whatever bullshit "marketable feature" they'll force Maxis to shoehorn in.

get out of my body please

Jasoco

Banned
Man. Love me some Sim City.

I will buy this if A) it isn't Origin exclusive (Fuck that shit you fucking fucks. Steam or nothing!) and B) it actually runs on my MacBook Air. I fear it won't.

Though I would LOVE an iPad 3 version. I'd actually prefer it. Sim City is better played with touch controls. And with the better graphics and Retina display the iPad 3 will have, man it'd be sweet. They already have a sort of Sim City 4 on the iPad and it's pretty neat. If they could get V on there without sacrificing too much it would be a day 1 purchase for me.

I will buy this if A) it isn't Origin exclusive (Fuck that shit you fucking fucks. Steam or nothing!) and B) it actually runs on my MacBook Air. I fear it won't.

Though I would LOVE an iPad 3 version. I'd actually prefer it. Sim City is better played with touch controls. And with the better graphics and Retina display the iPad 3 will have, man it'd be sweet. They already have a sort of Sim City 4 on the iPad and it's pretty neat. If they could get V on there without sacrificing too much it would be a day 1 purchase for me.

It's not neat, i'm a huge SimCity fan and i have the iPad version, is a good effort but nothing special. Sim City need horsepower, or maybe some Nintendo tricks because the Snes version is the only non pc Sim City really really good.

benjipwns

Banned
A sim city with two screens, one showing your city developing and one showing all the different 'blueprints' (zoning, electricity, water, etc) would be really interesting if you ask me. Hope that they're going to do that as well.
Multi-monitor support on PC would be great.
I will buy this if A) it isn't Origin exclusive
Then you probably won't be buying it.

I really don't understand the Origin hate here on GAF. I've had no major problems with it.

benjipwns

Banned
I really don't understand the Origin hate here on GAF. I've had no major problems with it.
From Jasoco's post, and some others, and myself, I can just find it easier to have everything in Steam. Yes I can add other games, but installing/uninstalling them etc. from other clients is not as simple as just having them in Steam.

There are other concerns of course, but the simplicity of one client is high up there for most everyone I imagine.

Question

Is it because of Windows 7? Is it because I don't have the "right" pc components? Is it because -for some insane reason- a 9 year old game is still to heavy for my 5 months old pc? Or is it just a badly made game that just can't run smooth at all?.

The games rendering engine is rather busted. To get the best performance, run SC4 in window mode with software rendering. Simcity 4's 3d was based around DX 7 and 16 meg video cards but the developers did a lot of hacking around DX7 that just screws with modern cards.

Top Bottom