• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sin & MOTHER F**KING Punishment 2 is only 30 MOTHER F**KING DAYS AWAY

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
GhostSeed said:
Translation plz :D

Well, from the looks of this particular comment made by so-and-so,
NINTENDO64で発売された前作(※1)は
知る人ぞ知る存在になっていますけど、
この『罪と罰』という商品が
どのような人たちによってつくられ、
どのような魅力がこのソフトにあるのか、
もっと多くの方々に少しでもお伝えしたいと思い、
今日は無理を言って京都までお越しいただきました。
よろしくお願いします。

...it appears that Nintendo 64 is mentioned.

Now, from that, using my reading skills, I deduced that Nintendo 64 is discussed in that particular comment.

Thusly, Nintendo 64 is the next Nintendo system.

SOMEONE PLEASE TRANSLATE

semiregular

Neo Member
First three pages were mainly talking about the development hell they got stuck in when developing for the Nintendo 64 (and apparently it was the same over Hal Laboratory, said Iwata), how did the project start and how did they decide the title. Interesting but I have no idea how to translate those (laughs).

Some quick translations related to S&P2 (could be wrong, feel free to correct me)

The game is 60 fps. When S&P2 team heard that Super Mario Galaxy runs at 60 fps, they said to themselves 'well, we'll do that too!'. And that's the reason why there are demo stations - because you can't experience the smoothness of the game without actually seeing it running.

Suzuki Yasushi, the person who did the art for the original S&P, has left Treasure and stopped doing videogame arts at the time development started. They ask him to come back because they felt if the designer is changed, the whole taste of the game would change and it would become a whole different game.

Treasure started developing the game with the gamecube controller in mind, and they made it really really difficult. Nakagawa expected Nintendo will tell them to fix that and make the game easier, but turned out feedback from Nintendo was that it was way too easy. That's because the wii-mote pointer made aiming so much easier. Treasure had to balance the difficulty for both the gamecube controller and the wii-mote afterwards. So now different controllers will have advantage in different parts of the game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
semiregular said:
For those who can read Japanese, there is an Iwata asks for the game.

http://wii.com/jp/articles/tsumitobatsu/crv/vol/index.html

(laughs)

oh gawdoh gawdoh gawdoh gawdoh gawd

semiregular said:
Treasure started developing the game with the gamecube controller in mind, and they made it really really difficult. Nakagawa expected Nintendo will tell them to fix that and make the game easier, but turned out feedback from Nintendo was that it was way too easy. That's because the wii-mote pointer made aiming so much easier and Treasure had to balance the difficulty for both the gamecube controller and the wii-mote. So now different controllers will have advantage in different parts of the game.

That's interesting. I would have thought they would have changed the enemy patterns instead.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
semiregular said:
First three pages were mainly talking about the development hell they got stuck in when developing for the Nintendo 64 (and apparently it was the same over Hal Laboratory, said Iwata), how did the project start and how did they decide the title. Interesting but I have no idea how to translate those (laughs).

Some quick translations related to S&P2 (could be wrong, feel free to correct me)

The game is 60 fps. When S&P2 team heard that Super Mario Galaxy runs at 60 fps, they said to themselves 'well, we'll do that too!'. And that's the reason why there are demo stations - because you can't experience the smoothness of the game without actually seeing it running.

Suzuki Yasushi, the person who did the art for the original S&P, has left Treasure and stopped doing videogame arts at the time development started. They ask him to come back because they felt if the designer is changed, the whole taste of the game would change and it would become a whole different game.

Treasure started developing the game with the gamecube controller in mind, and they made it really really difficult. Nakagawa expected Nintendo will tell them to fix that and make the game easier, but turned out feedback from Nintendo was that it was way too easy. That's because the wii-mote pointer made aiming so much easier and Treasure had to balance the difficulty for both the gamecube controller and the wii-mote. So now different controllers will have advantage in different parts of the game.

Wow, that's interesting. I just hope that doesn't mean I'll have to swap out controllers too often, if at all.

Some more notes on that S&P2 interview (copied and pasted from shmups):

You can see Nakagawa, second to left (co-director of Ikaruga), and I believe Suzuki Eishi on the right who did Character/Object design for Ikaruga, Treasure head honcho Maekawa in the middle with the glasses.

It's a pretty big deal that Iwata did this interview with their team I would think. Will be curious to see how the game sells given Nintendo's backing.

Nakagawa is pretty hilarious though, they must have put that dude through development hell with this game because there's a lot of points where he complains about how hard both the original and this one were to program, and then gets quiet and just nods until Iwata prods him on lol. Trauma.

This exchange was pretty funny. Yamagami, who is the producer for this game and was brought on specifically for it, talks about playing the original S&P in prep for building the new one.

Yamagami
So I told them "look, this game is too hard, I can't get anywhere in it"
and their response was "you're not the right guy for this job then"

When I told them "normal people wouldn't be able to play this" they said
"there's nobody in this company who can't play this game"
"if you can't play it, you shouldn't be a team member" ....

lol

Ironically, Nakagawa later goes on to describe how when they submitted S&P2 to Nintendo for approval, Nintendo came back and told them the game was too easy. They had apparently produced a deliciously difficult game using the gamecub controller, but with the nunchuk the game was apparently way too easy. So they had to adjust a lot of stuff to make it harder. Treasure!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I love how this interview is mostly Treasure staffers venting about the 64 hardware. lol.

sprsk

Surgeon Rocket said:
Wow, that's interesting. I just hope that doesn't mean I'll have to swap out controllers too often, if at all.

I doubt it will matter much for people who arent aiming for the top of the ranking.

My favorite exchange:

(About starting work in 3D on the N64)

Iwata: Bosses?

Nakagawa: Well you know if boss characters aren't big...

Iwata: They aren't bosses.

Nakagawa: Right. But, in 3D, they appear out in the distance.

Iwata: Totally normal for bosses to be in the distance.

Nakagawa: The thing is that they were too small so it's like "That's not a boss!"

Iwata: Even though they were really big, they appeared very small.

Nakagawa: (With a stern expression) Yeah...

Iwata: That is a problem. (laughs)

Nakagawa: Yeah, it was. But in Sin and Punishment you can attack enemies close up, so we figured that might be a way to show how big the bosses were. The problem was though, when they got close, they were way too big.

Iwata: (laughs)

Nakagawa (looking troubled) They couldn't fit on the screen...

Iwata: You couldn't tell what the boss was if it came too close.

Nakagawa: Exactly. So you'd have this extreme close up of feet, but instead of feeling like youre up against a huge boss you're just like "It's just a pair of feet."

Everyone: LOL

Neo C.

semiregular said:
Nintendo ninjas on work.

swerve

Whilst I've been counting the days down for over a month and counting down the weeks for months before that, I just *properly* realized that Sin & Punishment 2 comes out in FOUR DAYS.

Sin & Punishment. 2. A sequel to Sin & Punishment. In four days. *explodes*.

The return of this franchise is a victory for gamers, and I hope it moves enough units to justify the whole venture. While Nintendo hasn't done a very good job of rallying 3rd party devs on the Wii some of their second party projects show that they haven't completely abandoned 'core' gamers like some people seem to believe. I hope they keep pumping out games like Excite Truck/Bots, Shake It!, Punchout!!, S&P2, etc.

F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Pilotwings, Star Fox, Kirby and Donkey Kong are all ripe for the picking. Make it so, Nintendo.

For Japan-Gaffers, where would be the cheapest place to get this game?

Amazon.jp (20%off right now and free shipping)? Softmap? Costco?

adversesolutions said:
This exchange was pretty funny. Yamagami, who is the producer for this game and was brought on specifically for it, talks about playing the original S&P in prep for building the new one.

Yamagami
So I told them "look, this game is too hard, I can't get anywhere in it"
and their response was "you're not the right guy for this job then"

When I told them "normal people wouldn't be able to play this" they said
"there's nobody in this company who can't play this game"
"if you can't play it, you shouldn't be a team member" ....

lol

It's a funny exchange, but glad he got the smack laid down on him and this is one example of why Treasure continues to be an awesome company for hardcore players and shmup fans.

sprsk

No one has said anything about the game yet, but I'd just like to drop by and say it pretty much exceeded my expectations, and man the music is great.

It's classic Treasure, levels have you going from one crazy encounter to the next. The bosses so far are awesome. Man, I can't wait to play more.

sprsk said:
No one has said anything about the game yet, but I'd just like to drop by and say it pretty much exceeded my expectations, and man the music is great.

It's classic Treasure, levels have you going from one crazy encounter to the next. The bosses so far are awesome. Man, I can't wait to play more.
*whimpers*

I wish I had it now.

wrowa

sprsk said:

;____;

Haunted

sprsk said:

:mad:

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
sprsk said:

Tease much?

sprsk said:

I...argh...

argh...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
sprsk said:

Is it better than the first one, so far?

Nemesis556 said:
No one has confirmed whether the JP release is in English, have they?

I think it isn't, what with the Japanese voice acting being standard in the trailers.

Jazzem

sprsk said:

Really? That's cool to hear, Treasure games usually have great music but the original game had a really dull soundtrack. Can't wait for this :D

sprsk said:

"One crazy enounter to the next," awesome boss battles and great music all = classic Treasure indeed and insta-purchase when it arrives stateside. Thanks for the impressions.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Very disappointed that the demo was never leaked.
The game has, but I've no interest in that.
Retailer kiosk demo, I guess?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
GrotesqueBeauty said:
The lack of impressions in here is cruel. :(
It must be because everyone is playing it and it's like sex and and and it's so great, right? Rite?
Rite??
Rite??!

Mdk7

Nemesis556 said:
No one has confirmed whether the JP release is in English, have they?
Yeah let us know guys...
I'm sooo tempted to import it!! And even if it's japanese only could you please tell me how import friendly is it? The language barrier shouldn't be that strong, should it?
Thanks guys!

Regulus Tera said:
Is it better than the first one, at least in the introductory stages?

Is more intense, the fluid frame-rate,insane count of enemies on screen,the music is a lot better,but i won´t say its a better game until i finish the game

Some Details:

Forget the images and videos,the game looks much better,crispy textures in par with metroid prime 3,the frame-rate nevers drops,the only letdown is the blob shadows

Time limit still exist

You find coins in the stage,maybe theres a kind shop in the game

The menus looks like brawl,big buttons,clean style,etc

The music from the fisrt trailer play in the city stages

No get bonus

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Blackbird| said:
Is more intense,a the fluid frame-rate,insane count of enemies on screen,the music is a lot better,but i won´t say its a better game until i finish the game

I hate you SO much right now.

What about the cinematic sequences? Is it intelligible for once?

Top Bottom