• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingaporeGAF |OT| Home to Olympic gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

The National Day Parade is a big spectacle which is similar to opening ceremonies for events like the Olympics so yeah, they do need quite some time to work out the kinks. It's also only done on weekends.

As for the "real city life" you're asking about. It depends on what you're looking for. Most malls and retail shops close early here (10pm mostly) compared to places like Hong Kong. Fridays and Saturdays are only slightly better. Plenty of decent nightspots around though. There is a nice cluster of bars and clubs at Clarke Quay.

So anyone went to the XB1 launch at funan today? How was the mood there like?
Dunno but I did went for the xbox flyer thingy. Won a shirt, need for Speed rivals, destiny and a year of Live. Event is cool but can't enjoy the flyer much since I was playing KI lol

Did not managed to win a xbone lol

Any Singapore GAFFER who want the games I will let it go for lower than market price lol

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno but I did went for the xbox flyer thingy. Won a shirt, need for Speed rivals, destiny and a year of Live. Event is cool but can't enjoy the flyer much since I was playing KI lol

Did not managed to win a xbone lol

Any Singapore GAFFER who want the games I will let it go for lower than market price lol

2 games and LIVE? Was it so easy to win?

2 games and LIVE? Was it so easy to win?
I got the short straw, people just won destiny like noting from luckily dip. All I got is tanks for playing. The competition is quite easy lol since it for each cabinet. The overall racing competition is much harder and I don't even have time to try it out lol.

ElyrionX

Thinking of picking up the X1 just for Forza Horizon 2 because FH1 was incredible.

There was a launch event? I didn't even know lol.

kudoboi

totally forgot about the XB1 launch event because of preliminary exams for O levels :/

I intend on getting an XB1 too once there are more exclusive titles that aren't on PC

Anko

I'm curious to know how it's doing here, seeing as the price is similar to the PS4. Unfortunately, I've decided not to get an XBO unless something like Dragon's Dogma 2 comes out as exclusive to XBO. I'd get a WiiU though, Project Zero <3

Gibbo

Forza for the XB1 does indeed look amazing. gamescore has a demo unit outside their shop , and it is one pretty game.

Dont see myself buying one though. these days i balk at the idea of spending more than 70sgd on a game, quite odd considering that back in my NS days, i had no reservations spending 90 bucks on a PS2 game, living on just a tiny fraction of my current income. remember how fucking expensive PS2 games were?

ElyrionX

Forza for the XB1 does indeed look amazing. gamescore has a demo unit outside their shop , and it is one pretty game.

Dont see myself buying one though. these days i balk at the idea of spending more than 70sgd on a game, quite odd considering that back in my NS days, i had no reservations spending 90 bucks on a PS2 game, living on just a tiny fraction of my current income. remember how fucking expensive PS2 games were?

I remember those days lol.

X1 games are expensive?

Anko

Sony is going to offer a bundle for driveclub that is similar to the destiny bundle. Seems to be the standard going forward.

http://blog.asia.playstation.com/community/sg/en/games/ps4/blog/2014/09/29/get-driveclub-quick-with-free-upgrade-to-limited-edition

@S$699:
- PlayStation®4 (Jet Black)
- PS4 DRIVECLUB™ Software
- 3 Bonus Vehicles
- Immediate access to 5 unlockable cars
- 1 year Extended Warranty Service
- PlayStation®Plus 12-Month Subscription
- SGD 15 PSNSM Prepaid Value-

Edit: Oh wait. This one lacks a camera.

wilflare

if any one in Southeast Asia GAF is reading this, wanna go for GameStart Asia together?
apparently there are playable demos for Bloodborne, The Order, Until Dawn, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and many Vita titles too (Freedom Wars, God Eater 2, Hatsune Miku – Project DIVA F 2nd, THE LEGEND OF HEROES SEN NO KISEKI I, and more)

created an OT but no one cares
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=906377

ElyrionX

Played Forza Horizon 2 at a friend's place. It was too good. I caved and bought an Xbox One immediately after lol. Installing now.

Anyone else here on the 360 or X1? Do add me. My gamertag is ElyrionX

ElyrionX

Also, I thought it was interesting that Forza Horizon 2 wasn't available at retail until next week whereas it's already out in US retail and on the local X1 digital store.

Gibbo

Played Forza Horizon 2 at a friend's place. It was too good. I caved and bought an Xbox One immediately after lol. Installing now.

Anyone else here on the 360 or X1? Do add me. My gamertag is ElyrionX

Oh man. I get tempted everytime I pass by gamescore and they have the Forza demo on display. How much did you spend in total?

ElyrionX

$739 for the Kinect launch version which comes with two free games, FIFA 15 and Dance Central. $70 for FH2 which is only available digitally for now.

If you want to get it, now's a good time since the launch bundle is available. According to the MS website, the Kinect version of the console by itself already costs $739.

wilflare

$739 for the Kinect launch version which comes with two free games, FIFA 15 and Dance Central. $70 for FH2 which is only available digitally for now.

If you want to get it, now's a good time since the launch bundle is available. According to the MS website, the Kinect version of the console by itself already costs $739.

I wonder if the telcos will start bundling the XB1 with their subscription plans.

hmm you guys using the SG Store or the US Store

Goodsprings

Neo Member
i wanna visit singapore.

i don't speak Chinese, but singaporeans speak fluent English from what I hear.

Can anyone confirm?

Gibbo

if any one in Southeast Asia GAF is reading this, wanna go for GameStart Asia together?
apparently there are playable demos for Bloodborne, The Order, Until Dawn, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and many Vita titles too (Freedom Wars, God Eater 2, Hatsune Miku – Project DIVA F 2nd, THE LEGEND OF HEROES SEN NO KISEKI I, and more)

created an OT but no one cares
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=906377

depends really. Not too excited about the list of games on show. If it is not too crowded, I just might attend.

Gibbo

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of getting a PS4. It seems you will receive a $100 rebate towards your purchase of a PS4 when you trade in any of your old consoles at Gamestart Asia. Includes everything under the sun I believe- PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, etc

Hello SingaporeGAF, I see that Gamestart is being discussed here.

I will be going to GameStart and will be covering it for PlayStation lifestyle (since PS is the main exhibitor).

If there's anyone here with any photography experience or know how (doesn't have to be a professional photographer), is free on the 24th-25th, and would like to attend Gamestart as a photographer, kindly send me a PM.

I can't really pay anything but you'll get a media pass (no need to buy tickets) so you can attend the media preview on the 24th and can enter the conference floor earlier on the 25th (which will also have presentations and interviews prior to the formal opening of the convention).

Thanks.

Gibbo

Hey guys, anyone of you gents know a good place to order the New 3DS? Most shops ive visited have stopped taking preorders.

pyros

funny thing, was going through singgaf old post to catch up and find out that ElyrionX and Gibbo are my neighbours, I live in Adelphi park, next to Thomson plaza, small world indeed.

Everytime I see this thread pop up it makes me happy that I'm going there again this year ^_^

Only 8 more months and I'll be able to enjoy awesome street hawker food again ^_^

Gibbo

funny thing, was going through singgaf old post to catch up and find out that ElyrionX and Gibbo are my neighbours, I live in Adelphi park, next to Thomson plaza, small world indeed.

might have parked illegally outside your place a few times due to the weekend crowds at TP on weekends!

pyros

Everytime I see this thread pop up it makes me happy that I'm going there again this year ^_^

Only 8 more months and I'll be able to enjoy awesome street hawker food again ^_^

I'll go crazy if I don't get my regular fix of hokkien mee

might have parked illegally outside your place a few times due to the weekend crowds at TP on weekends!

Yeah, TP is so packed in the weekend nowadays, parking is a headache

Gibbo

Anyway to answer my own question earlier, i went to gamemartz at Funan during my lunch break just now, and they still had 3 New 3ds sets for preorder if anyone is interested.

First time that ive bought anything from the shop actually. Staff was pretty friendly, and their prices were in line with gamescore, funzcentre.

ElyrionX

Haha good stuff man. We should all meet up for coffee or something.

Gibbo

Happy New Year guys!

About comix connection - pretty sad if true. Although I've stopped visiting them in recent years, it is never nice to see a business that has been part of your younger years being shut down . There seem be be many of them recently ! Borders, Sembawang Music [My source for JRPG soundtracks back then] , Gramophone.

ElyrionX

Yeah I remember visiting Comics Connection back when they were called Comics World to buy Dragonball cards and comics. They then switched their name to Comics Paradise before changing it again to Comics Connection.

But it's not surprising really. Their retail strategy was all over the place in recent years with a lot of junk on their shelves. It's obvious manga isn't the big seller it used to be (did not know that Chuang Yi had shut down though) but I had always thought CC had transitioned away from that quite well. I once heard that they were the biggest videogames retailer in Singapore couple of years back but that business must not be doing well.

With digital distribution being so prevalent and with discounts seen so often on even relatively new games, all brick and mortar shops in Singapore must be feeling the pressure. The local retailers never really cut prices aggressively on games unless they were shovelware or were a few years old. On the one hand, I am glad that we can finally buy six months old console games at substantial discounts but it will be a pity to see more of these established shops shut down.

Damn. CC and CY both gone? Can't argue with the logic but man, that's a shame. Lots of great memories of loading up on CY manga and visiting CC for stuff when I visited Singapore.

spiritfox

Chuang Yi has been dead for a while, since 2012 IIRC.

Comics Connection used to be the only place I could buy games, but there has been a lot more game stores around recently. I haven't stepped into a Comics Connection since forever, and their selection isn't that great either.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
There are almost no comics shop left now. Same goes for CD shops.

I think CY's fate was sealed when they stopped offering consignment for comics for some reason. I think the shops didn't want to take the risk of not being able to sell their comics. That probably did them in, along with worse sales.

Qvoth

Also I just read on reddit that Comics Connection is closing down. Is that true?

holy fuck for real?
damn i was such a loyal customer to the store in tiong bahru plaza back in the day, i must've spent close to a thousand (probably more) or so over the years

probably going to sg at the end of may, secondary school friend getting married

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom