• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingaporeGAF |OT| Home to Olympic gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElyrionX

not sure if you guys seen this yet!
but our own local game developer (Witching-Hour Studios) and local game publisher (Ysbryd Games) have just released the latest gameplay footage for Masquerada!

It features some amazing voice talents that have done work in Dragon Age and The Walking Dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-31E_dOxCA

there's a GAF discussion going on too - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1098129

Made in Singapore but with a distinctly western voiceover? Meh. Why not get some locals to do it instead? At least it would lend a unique flavour to the game.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
No one wants to hear these lines in a Singapore accent.

Yup. Don't need to have voices that sound like Bolo Santosi. At best, we would probably get something that sounds like Channel 5 dramas i.e. slightly off accents.

Tebius

Neo Member
Made in Singapore but with a distinctly western voiceover? Meh. Why not get some locals to do it instead? At least it would lend a unique flavour to the game.

Heya, dev here. For the record, I did try. Due to scheduling issues, we just couldn't make it happen. I'm big on promoting creative work in Singapore, but sometimes the stars just aren't aligned.

Also, remember that the voices have to fit the setting. Picking local accents for the sake of local accents isn't the best path. The people playing the game probably wouldn't know it's a Singaporean product, so they'd find the accents odd and wouldn't know the significance of the choice. And yes, the locals I spoke to could do a range of accents past Singaporean.

I would have to give credit to Foresight. It's a locally made game that embrace the idea of local talent for the voiceovers.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCiz1AO5euc

ElyrionX

Heya, dev here. For the record, I did try. Due to scheduling issues, we just couldn't make it happen. I'm big on promoting creative work in Singapore, but sometimes the stars just aren't aligned.

Also, remember that the voices have to fit the setting. Picking local accents for the sake of local accents isn't the best path. The people playing the game probably wouldn't know it's a Singaporean product, so they'd find the accents odd and wouldn't know the significance of the choice. And yes, the locals I spoke to could do a range of accents past Singaporean.

I would have to give credit to Foresight. It's a locally made game that embrace the idea of local talent for the voiceovers.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCiz1AO5euc

Yeah, I did think about the setting part and how it'd be nice to see some local flavor in videogames, especially those made here. All the best for your game!

Saya

How's the haze these days in Singapore? I'll be there next week for a few days.

Also, anyone know a good place to pick up some Star Wars: TFA merchandise? Preferably near Marina Bay as I want to go there to check out an exhibition at the ArtScience Museum as well.

If I have time I would like to browse for English secondhand books too. Anyone know of a good place?

tauke

Also, anyone know a good place to pick up some Star Wars: TFA merchandise? Preferably near Marina Bay as I want to go there to check out an exhibition at the ArtScience Museum as well.

If I have time I would like to browse for English secondhand books too. Anyone know of a good place?

You can try Bras Basah Complex as there are a few shops selling old and used books.

xk0sm0sx

You might want to pack a N95 mask or at least a normal surgical mask. The haze is so bad I suffered a headache upon walking outside unprepared. Most of the days are ok except it can get really really terrible on some of the days. The normal surgical mask will not help you during these days.

Saya

You have bad luck, cause the haze just came back with a vengence.

Yeah, the news is all over it. I hope the Formula 1 will be ok this weekend.

You can try Bras Basah Complex as there are a few shops selling old and used books.

Thanks! I'll check it out if I have time.

You might want to pack a N95 mask or at least a normal surgical mask. The haze is so bad I suffered a headache upon walking outside unprepared. Most of the days are ok except it can get really really terrible on some of the days. The normal surgical mask will not help you during these days.

Will do!

Has anyone visited The Deep exhibition at the ArtScience Museum? It looks amazing I want to go there.

Oh boy.... In less than two months I'm moving from Germany to Singapore for a postdoc position...

I guess I'm posting in this thread because I'm exited and scared :D

Currently visiting for a week, first time I've been here or anywhere that far east. I like the city and I also checked out my future working place.

oh and from what I understand you probably will giggle about that I found a cheap hotel in the Geylang district :p

My main concern currently is how to secure a single-room apartment with a good connection to the MRT/work. I can be pretty frugal when it comes to housing, but considering I have to do is ASAP once I return for work (and actually I'm not sure where I will live during it...).

Btw did anyone immigrate from elsewhere and got used by now to the climate? I'm walking through the city the whole day and have to constantly seek shelter in malls and the subway. I swear I get the feeling I'm the only person in the city whose sweating like a pig haha

edit: my city impression: Western+Eastern+Scifi architecture = Cyberpunk but nice and not Blade Runner-dark, with shit like trees in the skyscrapers. Also everything is a mall or food court, wow.

My main concern currently is how to secure a single-room apartment with a good connection to the MRT/work. I can be pretty frugal when it comes to housing, but considering I have to do is ASAP once I return for work (and actually I'm not sure where I will live during it...).

I'm not a local but the bottom line is that nothing is cheap. Income tax is really low, but you're offsetting that by paying a lot on rent. (Dunno how it compares to Germany, but for example rent is a lot higher than say Vancouver)

Btw did anyone immigrate from elsewhere and got used by now to the climate? I'm walking through the city the whole day and have to constantly seek shelter in malls and the subway. I swear I get the feeling I'm the only person in the city whose sweating like a pig haha

This is the beauty of SG; dress light and use the malls to cooldown! :)

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Oh boy.... In less than two months I'm moving from Germany to Singapore for a postdoc position...

I guess I'm posting in this thread because I'm exited and scared :D

Currently visiting for a week, first time I've been here or anywhere that far east. I like the city and I also checked out my future working place.

oh and from what I understand you probably will giggle about that I found a cheap hotel in the Geylang district :p

edit: my city impression: Western+Eastern+Scifi architecture = Cyberpunk but nice and not Blade Runner-dark, with shit like trees in the skyscrapers. Also everything is a mall or food court, wow.

Rental won't be cheap. Best chance of getting lower rent would be to just rent a single room from an apartment and share the place with the landlord or other tenants. Rent a room off a HDB flat (basically government housing) and not condominium apartments unless you can find one at a cheap price. It really depends on your budget though.

And no even as a local I never got use to the heat after 32 years. The 100 or so malls do help though :p Some might even find the air-conditioned places too cold so bringing light outerwear is good. I'm currently working in a German company here and the German expats are mostly complaining about how cold the office gets and wanting the air-condition to be turned up or turned off, much to the annoyance of the local co-workers :p

kudoboi

Btw did anyone immigrate from elsewhere and got used by now to the climate? I'm walking through the city the whole day and have to constantly seek shelter in malls and the subway. I swear I get the feeling I'm the only person in the city whose sweating like a pig haha.

Nah. As a local, I can't even tolerate the climate after all these years. The air conditioner is switched on in my house nearly the entire day

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sure your university/institute will sort you out, but message me if you need any help on housing or general acclimatisation to life in Singapore. It's great here.

ElyrionX

Anyone here play Overwatch on PC? I know Singapore players tend to default to Americas server for Blizzard games but I tried Asia yesterday and the ping is signifcantly lower (50s vs. 150s). But my friend's list does not seem to work when playing in Asia for some reason.

Also if anyone wants to group up, add me. ElyrionX#6495

Qvoth

i'm looking for american bbq restaurants in singapore
ribs/brisket etc
recommendations?

oh and anybody ever tried the oyster buffet thing going on at pan pacific orchard? would like to know if it's good

Sorry for the late reply, was a busy time to basically dissolve my existence in Germany ^^
I arrived yesterday in Singapore and more or less started with work today. So, hi, you guys have to live with me now in this small space :p

I'm not a local but the bottom line is that nothing is cheap. Income tax is really low, but you're offsetting that by paying a lot on rent. (Dunno how it compares to Germany, but for example rent is a lot higher than say Vancouver)

This is the beauty of SG; dress light and use the malls to cooldown! :)

Yeah, rent is expensive even compared to the most expensive cities in Germany.

btw I noticed the climate isn't so bad now that I spend at most 15 minutes outside ;)

Rental won't be cheap. Best chance of getting lower rent would be to just rent a single room from an apartment and share the place with the landlord or other tenants. Rent a room off a HDB flat (basically government housing) and not condominium apartments unless you can find one at a cheap price. It really depends on your budget though.

And no even as a local I never got use to the heat after 32 years. The 100 or so malls do help though :p Some might even find the air-conditioned places too cold so bringing light outerwear is good. I'm currently working in a German company here and the German expats are mostly complaining about how cold the office gets and wanting the air-condition to be turned up or turned off, much to the annoyance of the local co-workers :p

I currently get paid S$4800 + S$1000 housing allowance. I'm not sure how comfortably you can live with that here, but I will closely document my budget in the upcoming months. In Germany I was only paid with a 50% contract (PhD life yay) and now I get even more than a full contract in Germany, so I'll manage.
I intent not to spend more than a third on rent etc., no public retirement insurance for me here so I'll save a bit more than usual.

You're right that it's much cheaper to get a shared room situation. Actually as I hardly cook I could settle with a master bedroom (with own bathroom). Probably also better for meeting people though I must say I reaaaally like living alone.

To be close to work I'm looking into living in the area between/in Novena and the botanical gardens. I'm not really picky when it comes to apartments, it basically only has to be close to a suitable MRT station. Though I would love to live high up in a high-rise building for a change.
Maybe I can find something for ~S$2000 as it's not really in the center. Do you guys think I should take an agent or will that just be wasting money?

btw. as the labs in Germany have AC as well, I'm used to people fighting over the temperature haha Though I must say my current lab/office floor is very comfortable and I don't have to bring extra clothes I think. In my room I set it to 26 °C

Nah. As a local, I can't even tolerate the climate after all these years. The air conditioner is switched on in my house nearly the entire day

actually, how is it with leaving the AC on while I'm gone. Is that seen as disgraceful waste of energy or as necessity? I guess it doesn't take that long to cool depending on the room size...

I'm sure your university/institute will sort you out, but message me if you need any help on housing or general acclimatisation to life in Singapore. It's great here.

Thanks a lot for the offer! Yeah, my employer organized something with the NTU. For minimal costs I'm allowed to live in a (somewhat shitty) shared apartment on campus for one month. So this month I have to find my real new home. Can't be soon enough actually because the campus is so far in the west that commuting to my work place takes like an hour in total... But I still also need to get Employment Pass, local bank account (currently I favor OCBC for a higher interest rate) etc.

Bonus question: how are white/Caucasian people seen by the locals? I thought the population would be more mixed but it seems kinda rare to see other Caucasians. Any prejudice (also funny ones)?

spiritfox

Don't leave the AC on. That's bad form even here.

You won't have any problem as a white person, except for a few older folks who might be a little racist. I think most Caucasians tend to stick to the higher class areas like Orchard or the Holland area.

Bonus question: how are white/Caucasian people seen by the locals? I thought the population would be more mixed but it seems kinda rare to see other Caucasians. Any prejudice (also funny ones)?

I never noticed any particular bias, expats are very common in SG and the expat/PR population was enough to consider them the 4th cultural pillar of the city behind the Chinese/Muslim/Indian communities, but if anything it's probably due to how immigration is a fact of life for the city. They can't sustain the population without PRs. Beyond that it's really dependent on where you travel. Hang out near Clarke Quay and expect to see more foreigners lol

(That being said I can't eat true malay/thai levels of spice so I don't notice being locked out of some things)

kudoboi

Anyone here play Overwatch on PC? I know Singapore players tend to default to Americas server for Blizzard games but I tried Asia yesterday and the ping is signifcantly lower (50s vs. 150s). But my friend's list does not seem to work when playing in Asia for some reason.

there are singapore servers in America region. I tend to get 9 ish ping for my games in america region 80% of the time

actually, how is it with leaving the AC on while I'm gone. Is that seen as disgraceful waste of energy or as necessity? I guess it doesn't take that long to cool depending on the room size...
don't do it unless you have one of those smart air conditioners that switches to standby mode when you leave the room (the one im currently using)

Gibbo

Added you a few days back (tanbrother) but won't be online much for the next week - forecasting season at my bank!

ElyrionX

Added you a few days back (tanbrother) but won't be online much for the next week - forecasting season at my bank!

Yeah I figured that was you but never saw you online. I've been staying up late to play this since release. Sleep be damned lol.

Gibbo

Yeah I figured that was you but never saw you online. I've been staying up late to play this since release. Sleep be damned lol.

I should be online abit more often next week. Been mostly using Lucio and winston in the 8 hours or so that I've put into the game.

Gibbo

ribs/brisket etc
recommendations?

oh and anybody ever tried the oyster buffet thing going on at pan pacific orchard? would like to know if it's good

I'm assuming you're referring to The Edge buffet at pan pacific? It is imo the best buffet you can find in Singapore. Excellent spread, service and layout

Was looking for some cinemas online today and got confused why pretty much all the showings had Chinese subtitles. Now I've read that this is standard besides some unpopular R18+ movies?
Are they really not doing even just a few showings w/o subtitles later on or something? Even all the Shaw IMAX (is that actually a full screen imax?) showings seem to have them.

:/

Going to be leaving for Singapore from the U.S for an internship in 9 days. I'll be living there for two months and I am so excited! It's going to be my first time.

kudoboi

Was looking for some cinemas online today and got confused why pretty much all the showings had Chinese subtitles. Now I've read that this is standard besides some unpopular R18+ movies?
Are they really not doing even just a few showings w/o subtitles later on or something? Even all the Shaw IMAX (is that actually a full screen imax?) showings seem to have them.

never seen any movies in cinema here without subs

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The subs are probably to cater to the older Chinese population who can't speak English. There is still a small amount of Singaporeans who can't speak or understand English, or not well enough so these subtitles will help. My 67 year old dad would be one of these non English speakers.

Most movies have them, unless they're more niche or indie ones.

ElyrionX

It's not that much of a dealbreaker. And yeah, most movies have them.

Zereta

The subs are probably to cater to the older Chinese population who can't speak English. There is still a small amount of Singaporeans who can't speak or understand English, or not well enough so these subtitles will help. My 67 year old dad would be one of these non English speakers.

Most movies have them, unless they're more niche or indie ones.

I've never really liked it, especially since having just spent my first year in college in America and watching movies without those subtitles. But over the years, I just learned to get used to it.

It's not that much of a dealbreaker. And yeah, most movies have them.

For me it kinda is. Not because it's in Chinese but because i can't stand having the actual movie covered up and it's distracting. I only watch with subs if i don't know the language (or it's something like macbeth haha).
But i don't go so often anyway, mostly just to not get spoiled on an important movie. So yeah. More blu-rays for me then.

Though I wonder why they don't even have it as separate showings (like 3D. In Germany they do it for English audio as well) if most citizens could handle it. I guess it's something you never notice if you grow up with it so there's no need to change it.

Found some real bread today after work, good day, I'm eager to try it once I'm back in my guest house haha

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
For me it kinda is. Not because it's in Chinese but because i can't stand having the actual movie covered up and it's distracting. I only watch with subs if i don't know the language (or it's something like macbeth haha).
But i don't go so often anyway, mostly just to not get spoiled on an important movie. So yeah. More blu-rays for me then.

Though I wonder why they don't even have it as separate showings (like 3D. In Germany they do it for English audio as well) if most citizens could handle it. I guess it's something you never notice if you grow up with it so there's no need to change it.

Found some real bread today after work, good day, I'm eager to try it once I'm back in my guest house haha

There's no real incentive in providing subtitle-less versions. I would assume that most people don't find subtitles distracting either. It takes ups just a small part of the screen and doesn't really obscures anything.

kamikaze

ribs/brisket etc
recommendations?

when i first got here, i tried looking around for american bbq restaurants. smokey's and jerry's were the only ones i remember.

http://smokeysbbq.com.sg/
http://www.jerrybbq.com/

i thought they're ok but not necessarily great...but i'm not really quite a bbq officianado having grown up in northern new jersey (but san francisco had a couple nice places when i lived there).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom