• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masquerada gameplay trailer - drawn like Bastion, plays like Baldur's Gate

PC, Mac and console (TBA), slated for Spring 2016

PCgamesN article.
masquerada_0.jpg

Latest Gameplay trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-31E_dOxCA
Gameplay demo (E3) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phXlKADT8Fw

Masquerada_GIF.gif

Gorgeous art, gorgeous animation, and the RTwP combat looks fun.
I'm so looking forward for this.

Regarding voice act:
for those who missed it, the latest gameplay trailer features several voice actors!

from the description
"fully voiced by the likes of Matthew Mercer (Fire Emblem: Awakening), Jennifer Hale (Mass Effect series), Dave Fennoy (The Walking Dead) and more incredible talents"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-31E_dOxCA (already posted in the OP!)

Not sure I get a Bastion vibe... or I'd want my game associated with that but overall it works for me. Well worth keeping an eye on.

Corpekata

Banned
Cara Ellison wrote a great piece on the devs behind this in her Embed series when she went to Singapore: http://embedwith.tumblr.com/post/106717694732/embed-with-singapore

Not much about the game there beyond some of the story stuff (like the regional issues with portraying homosexuality, since one of the party members is gay) but a great article overall.

They've largely been in the mobile space but this is looking great so far. Looks like they are porting some of their older games to PC in preparation for the new market.

Com_Raven

Not sure I get a Bastion vibe... or I'd want my game associated with that but overall it works for me. Well worth keeping an eye on.

Huh? What's wrong with Bastion? Wasn't it it universally well-reviewed and had very solid sales? Could certainly think of worse indie games to be compared to (even though it does look much more like Banner Saga than Bastion).

Looks interesting, but comparing its art style to Bastion is kind of insulting to Bastion's art team. It doesn't look bad, per se, but it's fairly bland and flat.

edit: Not trying to disparage the game, but OP was basically comparing it to the GOAT for raw style.

Lime

All the game's visuals need is a post-processing filter to make the nice looking art stand more out.

Right now the game looks more flat.

Huh? What's wrong with Bastion? Wasn't it it universally well-reviewed and had very solid sales? Could certainly think of worse indie games to be compared to (even though it does look much more like Banner Saga than Bastion).

I don't know about well-reviewed, but I think it is quite commonly regarded to be an incredibly boring and overrated game. At least that is how I see it and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I agree it is more Banner Saga.

I don't know about well-reviewed, but I think it is quite commonly regarded to be an incredibly boring and overrated game. At least that is how I see it and I'm sure I'm not alone.

I've never seen that sentiment around Bastion. Almost everything I've seen people say about it has been positive. Transistor was more divisive than Bastion was but that's because the combat was much weirder.

Com_Raven

That might very well be the first time I hear someone call Bastion boring, so I am not sure how common that sentiment is :)

Lime

I've never seen that sentiment around Bastion. Almost everything I've seen people say about it has been positive. Transistor was more divisive than Bastion was but that's because the combat was much weirder.

That might very well be the first time I hear someone call Bastion boring, so I am not sure how common that sentiment is :)

I too thought Bastion was quite unengaging. You just mash your attack constantly without much thought. I know that this was the intention with their design, with clear inspiration from Diablo, but those kind of click things don't appeal to me.

Well not just the combat, the writing and narrative structure in Transistor was a step down from Bastion.

nynt9

While I'm sure you're not completely alone, you're definitely a minority. Even if you think the game is boring, the comparison here is to its art style so it doesn't matter anyway.

Here, look at what other people say about the game:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=967565

Hmm, I actually find that pretty odd, because I thought the opposite was the general sentiment. Transistor had a strange style, but I thought people found it a much stronger game overall.

Oh well, if that isn't the general feeling it just means more people are wrong ;)

Whatever the art style, real time combat with pause is always welcome, so I hope they get the balance right and build an interesting world around it.

wilflare

glad you are liking the new gameplay trailer!

you guys are spotting some of the voice talents - any more guesses? :D

the team has been working very hard on Masquerada - they'll be delighted to hear the positive responses thus far

I'm currently interning at Ysbryd, the publisher of Masquerada!

Well not just the combat, the writing and narrative structure in Transistor was a step down from Bastion.

Personally I felt the writing and world building was stronger in Transistor, but it didn't have an emotionally defining moment, like near the end with Zulf. The whole setting of Cloudbank and learning about the people who lived there was one of my personal favourite parts of Transistor.

Practically, if you could say that something is overrated, then that view would typically not be the common one. It would just be... rated.

Alright alright, I also think it looks more like Banner Saga than Bastion.
It's just the article's title though, so please don't derail the thread with that discussion.

glad you are liking the new gameplay trailer!

you guys are spotting some of the voice talents - any more guesses? :D

the team has been working very hard on Masquerada - they'll be delighted to hear the positive responses thus far

I'm currently interning at Ysbryd, the publisher of Masquerada!

The game looks amazing so far, and you guys still have lots of time to polish it until the release date.
I hope everything goes well. :)

ArjanN

Personally I felt the writing and world building was stronger in Transistor, but it didn't have an emotionally defining moment, like near the end with Zulf. The whole setting of Cloudbank and learning about the people who lived there was one of my personal favourite parts of Transistor.

I agree, and IMO Transistor is clearly the better game (Bastion is still good though) but I can see why some people didn't like it as much, the story is probably a little too abstracted for most people, and (like Bastion actually) pretty much all the challenge comes from activating the optional challenge parameters which I'm guessing 90% of the people playing the game never do and miss out on most of the combat depth.

wilflare

Alright alright, I also think it looks more like Banner Saga than Bastion.
It's just the article's title though, so please don't derail the thread with that discussion.

The game looks amazing so far, and you guys still have lots of time to polish it until the release date.
I hope everything goes well. :)

thanks man :D - we do appreciate it!

hint: the voice talents in the latest trailer have done work in Dragon Age and The Walking Dead!

wilflare

for those who missed it, the latest gameplay trailer features several voice actors!

from the description
"fully voiced by the likes of Matthew Mercer (Fire Emblem: Awakening), Jennifer Hale (Mass Effect series), Dave Fennoy (The Walking Dead) and more incredible talents"

from the description

Whaat?
I'm in for Jennifer Hale. :D

Yeah, I watched the videos on the office yesterday so it was muted.

Iksenpets

Banned

This is an opinion only held by mad men. Bastion is fantastic.

This game looks cool, too. But it's no Bastion.

And I agree the style is more Banner Saga, which is cool because Banner Saga is also an awesome game. And it can't go wrong if it actually plays like BG.

bounchfx

looks great, but nothing like bastion. much simpler and like others are saying, similar to banner saga. gotta keep an eye on this now.

The Goat

Looks great! Sounds a bit over acted, but I can live with it. Throw it on the mountain of games I need to play, hah.

poncle

Wow, not sure why this is slipping under everyone's radar, gameplay and settings look great. Hope to read some opinions from the attendees of EGX.

Bluth54

I haven't heard of this game before now but it looks good, I can never have too many quality western isometric party based RPGs in my life. Hopefully it turns out to be a good game.

Top Bottom