• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingaporeGAF |OT| Home to Olympic gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a nice little apartment in Novena :)

As a gamer and gaffer comes of course the important act of choosing the right internet provider...
The apartment already has a fiber access point thingy.

Currently I'm thinking about Starhub's 1Gbps package offer:
http://www.starhub.com/personal/broadband/fibre-broadband/price-plans.html

I realize that the speeds will be (internationally) much slower than advertised (but still pretty fast), is there any reason to not got with Starhub?

My situation:
- I don't need a combined mobile package. Have a Singtel prepaid card, won't get a monthly plan any time soon as I barely make calls and don't need much data either (currently 3GB prepaid but could get lower easily).
- interested in high download and especially high upload speeds. Mostly need it for PS4 related stuff. Probably useless via wireless though?
- I likely won't get TV/cable so I'm interested in that offer to use Starhub Go Select for free, like for Game of Thrones or something. Do I miss some fine-print here?

Total price seems pretty good if I understand the offer correctly (6x$0 + 18x$50).
Not very comfortable about the two years, but I doubt I will leave Singapore before that (and assuming relocation of the contract is painless).
One thing I can't seem to find in the T&C is for how long the contract is auto-renewed after 2 years, another two years? My work contract is currently only for 3 years.

Oh and I'll move in on the 29th. Should I even bother with the internet subscription before that or wait till I moved in?

Fiber > Cable > DSL in my experience worldwide. I'll say that the last time I used Starhub in singapore it was ruthless about cutting out my NFL.com streams after a few minutes, but it very well could have been a cheap plan.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Found a nice little apartment in Novena :)

As a gamer and gaffer comes of course the important act of choosing the right internet provider...
The apartment already has a fiber access point thingy.

Currently I'm thinking about Starhub's 1Gbps package offer:
http://www.starhub.com/personal/broadband/fibre-broadband/price-plans.html

I realize that the speeds will be (internationally) much slower than advertised (but still pretty fast), is there any reason to not got with Starhub?

My situation:
- I don't need a combined mobile package. Have a Singtel prepaid card, won't get a monthly plan any time soon as I barely make calls and don't need much data either (currently 3GB prepaid but could get lower easily).
- interested in high download and especially high upload speeds. Mostly need it for PS4 related stuff. Probably useless via wireless though?
- I likely won't get TV/cable so I'm interested in that offer to use Starhub Go Select for free, like for Game of Thrones or something. Do I miss some fine-print here?

Total price seems pretty good if I understand the offer correctly (6x$0 + 18x$50).
Not very comfortable about the two years, but I doubt I will leave Singapore before that (and assuming relocation of the contract is painless).
One thing I can't seem to find in the T&C is for how long the contract is auto-renewed after 2 years, another two years? My work contract is currently only for 3 years.

Oh and I'll move in on the 29th. Should I even bother with the internet subscription before that or wait till I moved in?

The contract won't get auto-renewed after 2 years unless you choose to. You will just have to keep paying at the same rates for the 3rd year.

Also, it will be good to find out if Starhub Go select broadcasts their dramas uncensored. I recall people complaining about Game of Thrones being heavily censored here but I fo not know if it applies to Starhub Go Select.

Basically you will get no nudity, decreased violence and the removal of scenes with homosexual content if a drama is censored.

Anko

Regarding game of thrones... From what I saw, there was less nudity but not necessarily no nudity at all. The close up of a certain someone's dick was censored, but I do recall seeing boobs. This season has a lot less nudity in general anyway.

The contract won't get auto-renewed after 2 years unless you choose to. You will just have to keep paying at the same rates for the 3rd year.

Also, it will be good to find out if Starhub Go select broadcasts their dramas uncensored. I recall people complaining about Game of Thrones being heavily censored here but I fo not know if it applies to Starhub Go Select.

Basically you will get no nudity, decreased violence and the removal of scenes with homosexual content if a drama is censored.
Ah ok that's good so after the 2 years i can cancel any time for the following month.

Mh I didn't consider censorship... but oh well there's other stuff. It just seems convenient in the absence of cable.

Thanks guys, going with starhub fibre package then.

Zereta

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/indonesia-foils-plot-to/3016798.html

Goddamn, that was a close one

I suspect that was meant to be our "Bastille Day" incident, especially with National Day just around the corner.

Yea, its insane how close this was apparently. Kinda terrifying that something was about to happen so close to home.

There is no known affiliation between these 6 and ISIS right?

EDIT: Ah, Indonesian group in league with ISIS. Geez.

It's truly amazing how we have avoid/prevented any major terror attacks on our soil for years.

I hope this starts to break the mentality Singaporeans have about "Nobody would attack us!".

Everywhere is fair game to ISIS.

Zereta

It's truly amazing how we have avoid/prevented any major terror attacks on our soil for years.

I hope this starts to break the mentality Singaporeans have about "Nobody would attack us!".

Everywhere is fair game to ISIS.

Damn right it is, especially considering we're literally surrounded by countries with growing ISIS cells.

When I'm in America studying, my mother is constantly terrified by the news she hears about shootings and killings and wonders when that's gonna hit Boston. But I wonder when my mother in Singapore is gonna lose the sense of protection she and millions of Singaporeans have back home, thinking we're untouchable.

It's only a matter of time. Think its time for all of us to be mentally prepared for that.

spiritfox

Well it's not the first time a plot against us has been uncovered. I know we can't be complacent, but so far we have been able to stop anything from happening. Hopefully it'll continue to stay that way.

Happy National Day!

I wonder if other countries make it a big show and dance like we do lol.
Coming from Germany. .. lol nope

Just done taking pics of the fireworks. Was surprisingly short and not surprisingly I had to fight for a good spot to put up my tripod haha

happy 51st (feels weird that it's so young haha)

kudoboi

none of my friends even care about NDP... i don't think any of them even did something NDP related based on what i saw on snapchat

ElyrionX

Happy National Day!

I wonder if other countries make it a big show and dance like we do lol.

No. It's too expensive and most countries don't have a ready source of cheap labour (NSFs) to do all the dirty work. I actually feel the the cost of the NDP is always understated. Take away the NSFs helping with logistics and stuff behind the scenes and the whole affair will probably cost a whole lot more than what is being reported.

wilflare

thanks for the title change <3
(was it duckroll? but thanks :D)

Damn right it is, especially considering we're literally surrounded by countries with growing ISIS cells.

When I'm in America studying, my mother is constantly terrified by the news she hears about shootings and killings and wonders when that's gonna hit Boston. But I wonder when my mother in Singapore is gonna lose the sense of protection she and millions of Singaporeans have back home, thinking we're untouchable.

It's only a matter of time. Think its time for all of us to be mentally prepared for that.

I think for all the hate/dislike people usually give MINDEF/SAF (due to National Service), they have been really working hard to keep Singapore safe (early detection, mitigating threats and what not)

Man, all the old guards are moving on.

EDIT:

Thinking about it, he was the president I sworn to protect "with our lives! Sir!" During my time as an NSF

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
The last I heard about Singapore the government was trying to build an island out of burned up trash, how's that thing coming?

The last I heard about Singapore the government was trying to build an island out of burned up trash, how's that thing coming?

Jurong Island? Finished 2009 (20 years ahead of schedule, per Wikipedia?) I know they have some plans to expand the main island though too.

Rest

Jurong Island? Finished 2009 (20 years ahead of schedule, per Wikipedia?) I know they have some plans to expand the main island though too.
Oh wow, I had no idea, I figured I hadn't heard any more about it because it still wasn't done. If it's been done for seven years I'm assuming they've already built stuff on it. I always wondered how they would make sure the soil was stable; any stories of flooding, sinking, land collapses, sinkholes, etc.?

Oh wow, I had no idea, I figured I hadn't heard any more about it because it still wasn't done. If it's been done for seven years I'm assuming they've already built stuff on it. I always wondered how they would make sure the soil was stable; any stories of flooding, sinking, land collapses, sinkholes, etc.?

Well it's not exactly trash. Land reclamation is pretty advanced these days, especially for countries in desperate need of land like Singapore. It's a complex mixture of sand dredging (basically, fill the area you want with giant, heavy rocks, then fill the gaps with appropriate mixtures of sand/dirt/clay as a strengthening agent) It's a proven technique and gives a pretty solid foundation, especially once you overengineer it with stone walls, cement, etc. as required. (In fact you typically build a wall, drain the area, then fill). As an outsider you have to admit Singapore's government is really conducive to building properly overengineered projects with the money to back it up.

The interesting thing about this stuff is that Malaysia recently built Forest City, which is basically a huge condo / living area island set that is pretty uncomfortably close to Singapore as well. So the two countries fight a lot over maritime boundaries. (And not just for this reason either...)

The trash island you might be thinking of is Semaukau, which is literally a landfill island. It's a nature preserve with 11 "trash cells" that are composed entirely of material passed through incinerators. As cells are finished they are covered with earth and planted over. It's been enormously successful as a preserve - thriving plant life, coral nursery, no smell - and is expected to last until around 2045 for waste disposal needs.

Rest

Well it's not exactly trash. Land reclamation is pretty advanced these days, especially for countries in desperate need of land like Singapore. It's a complex mixture of sand dredging (basically, fill the area you want with giant, heavy rocks, then fill the gaps with appropriate mixtures of sand/dirt/clay as a strengthening agent) It's a proven technique and gives a pretty solid foundation, especially once you overengineer it with stone walls, cement, etc. as required. (In fact you typically build a wall, drain the area, then fill). As an outsider you have to admit Singapore's government is really conducive to building properly overengineered projects with the money to back it up.

The interesting thing about this stuff is that Malaysia recently built Forest City, which is basically a huge condo / living area island set that is pretty uncomfortably close to Singapore as well. So the two countries fight a lot over maritime boundaries. (And not just for this reason either...)

The trash island you might be thinking of is Semaukau, which is literally a landfill island. It's a nature preserve with 11 "trash cells" that are composed entirely of material passed through incinerators. As cells are finished they are covered with earth and planted over. It's been enormously successful as a preserve - thriving plant life, coral nursery, no smell - and is expected to last until around 2045 for waste disposal needs.

Both projects sound similar, but story I saw didn't say that primary purpose was for landfill or waste disposal, and said that the plan was to put housing or other direct human use infrastructure on it. Building it cell by cell sounds familiar too, though.

They said that the primary source of new land material would be nontoxic garbage though. The process was to collect it, dry it, burn it, and the deposit it where new land was desired.

Both projects sound similar, but story I saw didn't say that primary purpose was for landfill or waste disposal, and said that the plan was to put housing or other direct human use infrastructure on it. Building it cell by cell sounds familiar too, though.

They said that the primary source of new land material would be nontoxic garbage though. The process was to collect it, dry it, burn it, and the deposit it where new land was desired.

Hmm, maybe a local knows more? I know there are general reclamation plans going on there all the time. But Semaukau is their primary landfill. And these projects are all government started, they're not private deals as far as I know. So on the spectrum of long term feasibility they sound a lot sturdier than, say, US/Canadian coastal swampland cities. Only time will tell, I guess.

spiritfox

Semakau is the only offshore landfill we have. Do you have a link to the story?

Rest

Semakau is the only offshore landfill we have. Do you have a link to the story?

No, I saw a short documentary about it almost 10 years ago, never seen anything about it online.

Does anyone else feel like you're the only one around here actually disheartened/depressed about yesterday?

I mean I'm sure a lot of people cared about it but I get the feeling to most it's just a sideshow that goes on in the other part of the world. I don't know maybe I'm just overly sensitive. At times it does feel like Singapore is impervious to a lot of the big things in the world which would lead to apathy.

Qvoth

anyone tried tsuta's singapore branch?
in japan they're the only ramen place that earned a michelin star
opened in singapore opposite far east plaza last sunday

ElyrionX

Ippudo is probably the best. Santouka has really good chashu but their noodle broth is way too salty.

With that said, I can't wait to try Tsuta. There are very few ramen places that serves clear shoyu broth in Singapore.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get it. We are one of the world's main ports. We have a tech savvy consumer population.

And yet, we get about 4 PS Pros, and 3 PSVRs for the entire city on their respective launch dates.

I mean c'mon.

Usobuko

Banned
I tried Ramen Champion, Ippudo, Santouka, Sanpoutei, Marutama, Keisuke, Baikohken, Nantsuttei, Chabuton and perhaps some places I can't remember atm.

I like Ippudo the most and I can't wait to try Tsuta. I always prefer Tonkotsu or Shio broth though.

As for yesterday election result, yes I'm pretty vivid. I may step out of my boundaries at times because I find it to contain my emotions on this.

I don't get it. We are one of the world's main ports. We have a tech savvy consumer population.

And yet, we get about 4 PS Pros, and 3 PSVRs for the entire city on their respective launch dates.

I mean c'mon.

We'll just have to share among each other.

I tried Ramen Champion, Ippudo, Santouka, Sanpoutei, Marutama, Keisuke, Baikohken, Nantsuttei, Chabuton and perhaps some places I can't remember atm.

I like Ippudo the most and I can't wait to try Tsuta. I always prefer Tonkotsu or Shio broth though.

I decided my favorite broth is Shoryu.

As for yesterday election result, yes I'm pretty vivid. I may step out of my boundaries at times because I find it to contain my emotions on this.

I feel confident in saying that most Singaporeans probably are mindblown with the results in the sense that it's inconceivable that the obvious bad choice won.

I think most don't fully comprehend how 'uniquely unqualified' he is though.

I mean c'mon.

What irks me more about the situation is that, unlike when a console usually launches, there doesn't seem to be that bad of supply shortages in the other regions with the Pro. It baffles me why we're getting the short end of the stick like this. I've spoken with some shops and the Sony centers and they all seem to agree that any new stock is only going to come in midway through December.

Is there any ramen place that's less than $10 a bowl?

I honestly have a tough time thinking of anything under $10 that I would recommend.

I like the Chabuton lunch sets.

Regarding Trump: meh. Much more relevant for me was that Singapore will get Amazon in spring :D I hate physical shopping in dozens of malls after being used to simply finding specifically what I want online and for a good price.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I like the Chabuton lunch sets.

Regarding Trump: meh. Much more relevant for me was that Singapore will get Amazon in spring :D I hate physical shopping in dozens of malls after being used to simply finding specifically what I want online and for a good price.

I really doubt that Amazon will be able to give better deals to singaporeans. I remember when newegg launched in Singapore, people thought they were going to get cheaper prices for computer parts, but that didn't materialize.

The online market in Singapore is different from the US. The major players mostly follow the Alibaba model, where small retailers/merchants list for free on a website and pay for visibility. Amazon is basically a retailer that buys and sells the goods themselves. This works in the US because it is a huge market and there are economies of scale, but I doubt this model will work in south east asia. I am just a skeptic.

ElyrionX

Yeah I've been looking for a PS VR since launch but no luck so far. Anyone have any insights on where or when I can get one?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I've been looking for a PS VR since launch but no luck so far. Anyone have any insights on where or when I can get one?

I saw one at Gamemartz J8 the other day. Maybe you can call to enquiry. But I saw the Pegi logo so it might not be a local set and not too sure if it's a bundle with a camera.

How's everyobe9luck for the PS4 Pro. I preordered from the above shop but they didn't have enough stock... Paying more to order from Amazon instead.

How's everyobe9luck for the PS4 Pro. I preordered from the above shop but they didn't have enough stock... Paying more to order from Amazon instead.

That's what I'd usually do for my games, but I'm not willing to forgo the local warranty just to get my console earlier.

I'll update again if I hear anything new about the second batch, but going by what I've heard, I'd consider myself lucky if there's enough stock for them to fulfill my reservation. Realistically speaking, I could be looking at getting my console in January, sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom