• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

Returners

Macam said:
Forgive me for asking a question that I'm sure has been asked before, but as a new entrant to the series, I was just curious:

1. Is there a 3rd installment landing in the US anytime soon? I noticed it's been released in the US, but not here as of yet. I can't seem to find any information as to a potential future release date or time frame.

2. It seems some people here are buying songs across regions. How does one do that and is that supported/have any trade-offs and/or problems?

Thanks!

No idea. But when they do, I'm sure they'll be bundled with the wireless mics.

lupinko

Macam said:
Forgive me for asking a question that I'm sure has been asked before, but as a new entrant to the series, I was just curious:

1. Is there a 3rd installment landing in the US anytime soon? I noticed it's been released in the US, but not here as of yet. I can't seem to find any information as to a potential future release date or time frame.

2. It seems some people here are buying songs across regions. How does one do that and is that supported/have any trade-offs and/or problems?

Thanks!

SingStar Vol. 3 has not yet been released in the US, the only PS3 SingStars available in the US market are: SingStar Vol. 1, SingStar Vol. 2, SingStar ABBA, and SingStar Queen. Apparently SingStar Latino is being prepped next for the US.

In contrast in PAL territories you already have SingStar Vol. 3, SingStar Pop Hits (formerly Vol. 4), SingStar Motown, SingStar Take That as well as other special territorial editions.

Macam

Banned
agm2502 said:
You need to create a EU PSN account and buy a EU PSN card, the only issue is that if your PS3 breaks then you probably won't be able to get your EU purchases re authorised for you new system.

Gotcha.

That said, I imagine that means that the content you buy off the European Singstar store wouldn't be mixed with any existing or additional content you bought off the US Singstar store then, right? I would assume that any additional game content is tied to whichever account is logged in during the game session.

woodypop

Macam said:
Gotcha.

That said, I imagine that means that the content you buy off the European Singstar store wouldn't be mixed with any existing or additional content you bought off the US Singstar store then, right? I would assume that any additional game content is tied to whichever account is logged in during the game session.
Actually, all the songs you purchase (regardless of which account you used to buy them) show up on the same song selection carousel.

Tntnnbltn

Macam said:
DLC is common across all accounts. Content purchased from all regions appears together in the game.

(It's due to the fact that SingStar saves all DLC to a central file under Game Data Utility, so that DLC will be accessible no matter what volume disc you are using)

Edit: Beaten because the rain made my internet disconnect :(

Macam

Banned
woodypop said:
Actually, all the songs you purchase (regardless of which account you used to buy them) show up on the same song selection carousel.

...really? Wow. That's something I'll have to look into then. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Toki767

I haven't seen anyone post this yet since really it's not that great, but the Festive Fun 2 Songpack was announced with these songs.

Nat King Cole - A Cradle In Bethlehem
Doris Day - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Johnny Mathis - When A Child Is Born
Cliff Richard - Saviour's Day
Elton John - Step Into Christmas

I love Christmas songs and all but it's weird that I only know one of these.

lupinko

Toki767 said:
I haven't seen anyone post this yet since really it's not that great, but the Festive Fun 2 Songpack was announced with these songs.

Nat King Cole - A Cradle In Bethlehem
Doris Day - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Johnny Mathis - When A Child Is Born
Cliff Richard - Saviour's Day
Elton John - Step Into Christmas

I love Christmas songs and all but it's weird that I only know one of these.

Big upgrade from last year's.

And North America will so not get that, if they do, London Studio either will have sorted out the UMG thing or it'll be a different pack.

So, SingStar Take That rocks. I might've preferred a few more of the classic songs and fewer of the new songs, but still - easily my favorite SingStar disc to date. I've had a blast with Do What U Like and Once You've Tasted Love in particular tonight. Unfortunately, nobody I know is familiar with the songs, so I've been the only star all evening.

netguy503

Guaranteed method for 200 views in one week AND 8000 total views!

This is a METHOD that will allow you to unlock the following three trophies, which many are having a hard time with.

Center Of Attention
Have a media upload viewed over 100 times in its first week online.

All Eyes On You
Have a media upload viewed over 200 times in its first week online.

SingStar Celebrity
Get a grand total of 8,000 views from all your media.

I could not find any previous post even hinting at this method, which a friend discovered by mistake.

As you may know, you can only rate a media once. Even if you rate it several times in a row it will not count. The reason for this is that every rating is associated with an account. However, media VIEWS are not limited to one account, so one account CAN view the same media multiple times and the counter will increase.

Now, the thing here is sometimes it doesn't seem to increase the counter. But with a little testing it became more and more apparent how the view count system works, and that is ALL revealed here.
For practical purposes, this thread will be about snapshots, where you can upload 100 (the other media is limited to 5 each, and is harder to increase the count).

If you go to a friend's media, load snapshots, and hold down the right arrow you will fly thru the snapshots. You do NOT have to stay on each media for any time (unless you are also going for the Gallery Gazer trophy), a simple fly thru will work!

You will need to re-press the right arrow for each "page" (when it hits 21, 41, 61 and 81).

Now here are two big gold nuggets:

* Found that the way the system limits your views is by remembering what media you viewed during that game session. If you Quit the game, and then load the game again, you can view and increase the counter again! You might need to back out to the first page by hitting the circle O button several times, but not positive that this is necessary or not.
* Found that even thou the counter doesn't go up immediately, it IS still counting it. It seems like the server has one log of what was viewed and is slowly applying it to the media over the next few minutes. So if you view all media ten times in a row, and look at the view count ten minutes after you are done, each media count will have increased appropriately.

Good luck, hope this helps you. If you want to show a little gratitude, I would appreciate it if you 5* my snapshots (I have 100 new ones I just uploaded today, PSN:Netguy503). Thanks and good luck to you!

Tntnnbltn

Will try it later this week.

Less than 12 hours until the update announcement, whoo. I'm predicting more Mika, Snow Patrol, Keane... Not expecting anything mindblowing for my tastes though.

I think it's time for me to start OPERATION NAMEDROP, where every fortnight I suggest 2 Australian/New Zealand artists to Nina Scherer, including 2-3 specific song recommendations. I've currently planned through till early April. All songs specifically chosen for maximum international + local appeal and suitability for SingStar (both content and singing-wise), and order chosen to maximise label variation. No Warner tracks for obvious reasons.

Code:
=====================================================================================================
WEEK    ARTIST                  LABEL     TRACKS
=====================================================================================================
26/11   Ladyhawke                UMG      Dusk Till Dawn / My Delirium / Paris Is Burning
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17/12   The Presets              UMG      If I Know You / My People / This Boy's In Love
17/12   Delta Goodrem            SME*     In This Life / Lost Without You / Not Me, Not I
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14/01   End Of Fashion           EMI      Dying For You / Fussy / The Game
14/01   Jessica Mauboy           SME      Burn / Running Back / Up-Down
28/01   Grinspoon                UMG      Better Off Alone / Chemical Heart / Hard Act To Follow
28/01   Natalie Bassingthwaite   SME      1000 Stars / Alive / Someday Soon
11/02   Alex Lloyd               EMI      Amazing / Beautiful / Never Meant To Fail
11/02   Vanessa Amorosi          UMG      Absolutely Everybody / Perfect / This Is Who I Am
25/02   Kisschasy                EMI      Opinions Won't Keep You Warm At Night / Spray On Pants
25/02   Shannon Noll             SME      Learn To Fly / Lift / Shine
11/03   Gabriella Cilmi          UMG      Don't Wanna Go To Bed Now / Save The Lies	
11/03   Pete Murray              SME      Better Days / Opportunity / So Beautiful
25/03   Cassie Davis             SME      Do It Again / Like It Loud / No More
25/03   Powderfinger             UMG      Lost And Running / My Happiness / On My Mind
08/04   Savage Garden            SME**    Affirmation / I Knew I Loved You / Truly Madly Deeply
08/04   Guy Sebastian            SME      Angels Brought Me Here / Elevator Love / Like It Like That

* "In This Life" is under UMG in North America
** All songs under Roadshow in Australia

Problems with getting Australian tracks :( ...
  • Warner Music has a big presence here (Mushroom Records). A lot of artists I'd love to see are unavailable (Evermore, Jet, Eskimo Joe, Gyroscope, Operator Please [via their UK label]...)
  • A lot of Australian artists only distribution to Aus/NZ. They might not necessarily have worldwide distribution rights set up. Dunno how this would affect worldwide SingStore licensing
  • There is a lack of effort from London Studio to license Australian songs unless (1) they were on an Australian PS2 editions, (2) they managed to chart in the UK, or (3) they were released as the debut single by an Australian Idol winner.

lupinko

I want Bare Hands, Possessionless and You Will Only Break My Heart, oh it doesn't matter i just want more Delta on the store already. =/

Also I want another Queen song pack, not to mention, they should start doing Police song packs, oh man so awesome.

Toki767

I think the only thing we can count on for sure in Singstar are Queen and Coldplay songpacks.

Another Britney songpack would be much appreciated.

Tntnnbltn

Toki767 said:
I meant in terms of things that haven't been announced yet. :D
I think there'll be a whole bunch more from UMG. Now that we've worn through half the UMG back catalogue there'll be more new tracks, and the Amy Winehouse/Snow Patrol packs are a good indication of what's to come.

Toki767

Wow, it's already been halfway through the back catalogue? That's pretty impressive for 4 months or so.

I'd actually really love a Boyz II Men songpack. I'm a little saddened that "I'll Make Love To You" is the only song on the store. At least add "Motownphilly" since that's already on a disc. It'd be great to have "End of the Road", "On Bended Knee", and "Water Runs Dry" though since those were very popular songs back in the day. If they ever get the license to Mariah Carey songs though, "One Sweet Day" is a must.

lupinko

Mariah Carey's back catalogue (i.e. her biggest hits from the 90s) are owned by SME, it's only her more recent stuff that is from UMG.

And with the way SME is in general with the Singstore. =/

Toki767

Back when we were making UMG wishlists, I discovered that a lot of the songs I grew up hearing and wanted to sing on Singstar were actually owned by SME with the exception of Boyz II Men. That really made me want to bang my head on my desk.

Tntnnbltn

UK SingStore Update, 26th November 2009

English:
  • Babyface - "Sleigh Ride"
  • Celine Dion – "Christmas Eve"
  • Cornershop – "Brimful Of Asha" (Norman Cook Remix)
  • Daniel Bedingfield – "If You’re Not The One"
  • Dodgy – "Good Enough"
  • Delta Goodrem – "Believe Again"
  • Dr Alban – "It’s My Life"
  • Glasvegas - "Please Come Back Home"
  • Ida Maria – "I Like You So Much Better When You’re Naked"
  • James Morrison – "You Give Me Something"
  • McFly – "All About You"
  • Mika – "Love Today"
  • Natalie Bassingthwaighte - "Alive"
  • Natalie Bassingthwaighte - "Someday Soon"
  • OMC – "How Bizarre"
  • Orson – "Bright Idea"
  • Paul McCartney – "Wonderful Christmastime"
  • Placebo – "The Never-Ending Why"
  • Rogue Traders – "I Never Liked You"
  • Sarah Connor – "Christmas In My Heart"
  • Shakin’ Stevens – "Merry Christmas Everyone"
  • Superfamily – "It’s A Lie"
  • Toni Braxton - "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"
  • Whimsical feat. Maria Mena - "Everytime"

Festive Fun 2 song pack:
  • Cliff Richard – "Saviour’s Day"
  • Doris Day – "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"
  • Elton John – "Step Into Christmas"
  • Johnny Mathis – "When A Child Is Born"
  • Nat King Cole – "A Cradle In Bethlehem"

Paul McCartney song pack:
  • Paul McCartney – "Dance Tonight"
  • Paul McCartney – "Pipes of Peace"
  • Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder – "Ebony And Ivory"
  • Paul McCartney & Wings – "Band On The Run"
  • Paul McCartney & Wings – "Mull Of Kintyre"

Snow Patrol song pack:
  • Snow Patrol – "Chocolate"
  • Snow Patrol – "Run"
  • Snow Patrol – "Set The Fire to The Third Bar"
  • Snow Patrol – "Shut Your Eyes"
  • Snow Patrol – "Spitting Games"

Spanish:
  • Aleks Syntek – "Con Ana Torroja Duele el amor"
  • Chayanne – "Torero"

German:
  • Chris Marlow – "Santa Maria"
  • Jan Delay – "Für Immer Und Dich"

Finnish:
  • Indica - "Valoissa"

French:

Hits Français Starter Pack:
  • Helmut Fritz – "Ca M’enerve"
  • Julien Doré – "Moi lolita"
  • Tété – "À La Faveur De L’Automne"
  • Christophe Willem – "Berlin"
  • Grégoire – "Ta Main"

lupinko

While that Paul McCartney song pack is really disappointing (I own 4 of the 5 songs), this is one of the best updates in a long time mainly because of:

Delta Goodrem – "Believe Again"

Although, this music video is a little too, I don't know, odd?

Tntnnbltn

Other update news...
The SingStar v4.30 update was submitted to our Format QA teams (FQA) last Friday. We delayed the submission by several days to put in some code that will allow us to unlock the save data in a future release. This was done because of your feedback. This morning I received conformation that the SingStar v4.30 has passed FQA for Europe. We are now waiting for the Format QA teams in America to pass SingStar v4.30, which we expect to happen this week. Additionally the final checks for the new server are being conducted this week. We are now firmly on track for release on the 1st December’.

lupinko said:
Although, this music video is a little too, I don't know, odd?
I'm sure the US could always go and make a crappier version of it. :-/

(True fact: It was the first Australian music video ever shot in HD. Not that we'd get it in HD of course)

Tntnnbltn

Done with formatting (except for Toni Braxton, whose song is nowhere to be found on YouTube).

My pick-ups:
  • Daniel Bedingfield – "If You’re Not The One"
  • Delta Goodrem – "Believe Again" **
  • James Morrison – "You Give Me Something"
  • Mika – "Love Today"
  • Natalie Bassingthwaighte – "Alive" **
  • Natalie Bassingthwaighte - "Someday Soon" **
  • Rogue Traders – "I Never Liked You" **

** Wow, wow, wow. Absolute awesomeness. WOW. These are all songs which I have personally requested in the past. I'm going to compile a list of all requests I have made so I can try to see how those specific requests got through to the team. May be beneficial in aiding future requests.

All of the ** tracks are from SME Australia, so this + last week's track from Wes Carr suggests to me that SME Australia are in a licensing happy mood right now.

Toki767

Looks like just Daniel Bedingfield for me this week. Doesn't seem like a bad selection overall though, just don't really know who the other people are besides James Morrison. :lol

Tntnnbltn

Chart analysis... Might explain some of their song choices.

Code:
=========================================================================
 YEAR     SONG                                           AUS   UK    US  
 1992     Dr Alban – "It’s My Life"                       43    2    88
 1996     Dodgy – "Good Enough"                            -    4     -
 1996     OMC – "How Bizarre"                              1    4     -
 1997     Cornershop – "Brimful Of Asha"                   -   60     -
 2002     Daniel Bedingfield – "If You’re Not The One"    14    1    15
 2005     McFly – "All About You"                          -    1     -
 2005     Orson – "Bright Idea"                            -    1     -
 2006     James Morrison – "You Give Me Something"         7    5     -
 2007     Delta Goodrem – "Believe Again"                  2    -     -
 2007     Mika – "Love Today"                              3    6    92
 2008     Glasvegas - "Please Come Back Home"              -   76     -
 2008     Ida Maria – "I Like You So Much Better"          -   13     -
 2008     Rogue Traders – "I Never Liked You"              8    -     -
 2008     Natalie Bassingthwaighte - "Alive"               8    -     -
 2009     Natalie Bassingthwaighte - "Someday Soon"        7    -     -

Tntnnbltn

Another true fact: I have made 183 individual song requests to the SingStar Team in the last 12 months, excluding the massive UMG wishlist.

I've been busy, apparently.

Couldn't find any requests I'd made for Delta Goodrem - "Believe Again" though. It's strange, because it's my favourite song from her third album and I always consider it when requesting more Delta. But it appears every time I've requested her I've always ended up picking other songs instead.

I searched Google.com for 'tntnnbltn' 'believe again' and the only significant hit was a post I made here. Surely they wouldn't read here would they?

Other alternatives: I've mentioned it in other personal requests that I somehow haven't been able to locate, or someone else requested it. I don't think the SingStar Team would've just picked this song on their own (given past experiences, the fact that it's not her most popular single by a long shot, and the fact that they already have "You Will Only Break My Heart" charted from a PS2 version)

Toki767

Tntnnbltn said:
Another true fact: I have made 183 individual song requests to the SingStar Team in the last 12 months, excluding the massive UMG wishlist.

I've been busy, apparently.
How many of them made it to the store?

Tntnnbltn

Toki767 said:
How many of them made it to the store?
11. :lol :lol

1. Damien Leith - Night Of My Life
  2. Rogue Traders - I Never Liked You
  3. Good Charlotte - I Don't Wanna Be In Love
  4. Pink - Don't Let Me Get Me
  5. Pink - Family Portrait
  6. Pink - Nobody Knows
  7. Empire Of The Sun - We Are The People
  8. Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Alive
  9. Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Someday Soon
  10. John Farnham - You're The Voice
  11. La Roux - In For The Kill

And there's a good chance a majority of those were serendipitous (i.e. I just happened to request something that eventually came along anyway).

Moral of the story: Develop request strategies that actually work.

Tntnnbltn

Toki767 said:
You'll have to share your strategy with the rest of us. :lol
Log of past requests: (Potentially incomplete; I only made it tonight)

Click #1, Click #2

Note: A lot of song listings are duplicates (often using different request strategies). Some prior to about April-ish include some Warner tracks as it pre-dated me noticing the Warner/London Studio breakdown.

Previous methods of requesting:
- email requests to team@singstargame.com
- leave requests in the Track Suggestions discussion board @ UK Facebook
- leave requests in the comments sections for new SingStore updates @ UK Facebook (generally related to artists in current update. i.e. I'd like more of this artist...)

Problem:
- No feedback. No way of knowing if you are being listened to or if your emails are falling into a giant Spam folder. I originally thought the emails were being listened to when Damien Leith appeared on the store an appropriate time after I requested him, but that could have been coincidental. However this huge load of tracks from Nat B, Delta Goodrem and Rogue Traders suggest that some of my requests were getting through all along.

Example of my new strategy via EU PS Blog:

Me said:
Hey Nina :)

I came here intending to post how I’d like to see more Australian songs in SingStore updates, but you absolutely FLOORED ME with this ABSOLUTELY AWESOME AWESOME UPDATE. Delta Goodrem, Nat Bassingthwaighte, Rogue Traders… WOW. This is the best birthday present (7 days early) I could’ve ever asked for. :D :D :D

Um, so yeah. I *was* going to say that I know that you listen to our feedback, and how to help boost Aussie/New Zealand content on the Store I was going to recommend an Aussie/NZ artists or two each week.

First recommendation is Ladyhawke, a New Zealand electropop artist. Songs from her 2008 debut album have been Top 10 hits in AUS + NZ, and have performed reasonably well in the UK. Particular songs that would be great for SingStar include “My Delirium” (#8 AUS, #9 NZ, #33 UK), “Paris Is Burning” and “Dusk Till Dawn”.

But yeah. WOW. YOU ARE SO AWESOME. WOW! :D
Nina said:
I knew it was your birthday next week ;)

Might be able to give you some Ladyhwke soon but no promises!

I can accept something being held up in licensing limbo for 6 months, but it's so much more annoying making 6 months worth of requests without knowing if anyone is even listening at the other end.

Tntnnbltn

Toki767 said:
Chances are this thread will be on hiatus for 2 and a half weeks after Thursday. :lol
Hell no. I'm going to have to show off my redesigned Wikipedia pages before then.

Ugh, unless it's gonna take longer than 3 weeks to do 'em. :-/

Top Bottom