• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skies of Arcadia Trademark Renewed. Sega's next HD release?

Seik

Banned
Its amazing how the internet can now reveal any project at its earliest, fetal state.

Hope it will happen.

Persona7

Banned
e3A5E.gif

Muku

I own and have beaten both the Dreamcast and Gamecube version. And would totally buy this game if it came out again. I'm a sucker for it. :( Though, I bought the GC version to support them, because I really enjoyed it on the DC.

Astra

It'd be pretty cool if we saw an HD release, or a sequel.

JUST HOOK IT TO MY BRAIN!

but whatever, if not.

Would love an HD update. One of the few JRPGS I sat and really played through without getting up I loved it so much. Such an unparalleled sense of scope for the time. Up there in my top 5 games, so many fond memories came out of that game because it really affected me in some areas outside of gaming, such as world-building in my personal writing.

The character themes are fantastic as well. Dat Ramirez Theme.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I would certainly like for this to happen.

Fire, consume my enemy; lambda burst

This is about the level of excitement I have but could not articulate quite as eloquently.

INTO MY BELLY YOU GO NOW, is what I was going to say.

I remember trying to get this on Dreamcast back in the day but being unable to find it, so I grabbed it on Gamecube instead.

My only gameplay memories are of being constantly wiped out once all the enemies start using OHKO Silver magic, and giving up shortly thereafter.

Roto13

Even the random battles in the GameCube version were too frequent and they were cut in half or something.

Reduce them even more and you've got yourself a deal.

epmode

Oh man, a PC release would be sublime. I was always disappointed that the Gamecube version didn't allow for VGA output, unlike the Dreamcast original. Seeing it at a real resolution... omgomg

And a PC release might mean limited modding. Lower encounter rates! Maybe!

KageMaru

Still have my DC version but I'd be all over this.

Shame Sega didn't start releasing their classic games earlier this Gen. There's so many more games they can release, so hopefully they keep this up next gen.

M-PG71C

I absolutely loved Skies of Arcadia. Played it on the DC and then played it on the GC. This will be day one for me, I just can't turn it down. It's one of the finest RPGs ever made.

bakedpony

I'd love to get this. One of the most populat RPG's last gen that never made it to the PS2 (not with an English version at least).

I have no idea why this game is so popular. It was always generic to me. I couldn't get past the first hour without dying of boredom first. I had tried several times to play it so I could understand the hype, but it just wasn't happening for me.

near

Gold Member
I will only accept the idea of SoA HD if it serves as fan preparation for SoA2. But because that isn't going to happen, screw this trademark renewal! :(

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
"Come on, dance for me!"

Even though the ship battles take forever, and sometimes there's a few too many random encounters, Skies is still one of my favorite RPGs ever. Exploring, building your own pirate fort, earning titles, fighting optional bosses...soooo good.
Love this game.

Gilder was a BAWSE.

Vyse is one of my favorite RPG protagonists, because FUCK YO WHINY EMO EXISTENTIAL BULLSHIT, THAT'S WHY! I'M GONNA GET MY CREW AND SAIL AROUND THE FUCKING WORLD IN A FUCKING SKY BATTLESHIP AND KICK ASS WITH A HOT PIRATE REDHEAD CHICK ON ONE ARM AND A MAGIC MOON PRINCESS ON THE OTHER! SUCK IT, CLOUD!

I hope it's an HD remaster on the level of Sony's, but it's Sega so probably not. Anyway make it a port of the GC version with the reduced encounter rate, and while you are at it do something to speed up the slow as shit ship battles.

Mengetsu

Please XBLA/PSN release! I'v must of played this game 3-4 times and I never get tired of it. I will go on this epic adventure again Sega please!

bakedpony

I have no idea why this game is so popular. It was always generic to me. I couldn't get past the first hour without dying of boredom first. I had tried several times to play it so I could understand the hype, but it just wasn't happening for me.

A lot of the greatesr RPGs do start slow though... (Persona 4, Suikoden 6, etc)

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This and Chrono Trigger are the greatest RPGs I have ever played. I probably would say Chrono Trigger is the better game, but SOA holds a very VERY special place in my heart, and even had a hand in the creation of my handle (which I created a long time ago). I cant think of a game that has since captured the feeling of exploring quite like SOA did.

CloudSea said:
It's pretty sad that we're excited about a port instead of a sequel

I gave up on this pipe-dream a long longgggg time ago. So many days spent searching the gamefaq boards, hoping the long rumored sequel would finally become real. :/

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I cant think of a game that has since captured the feeling of exploring quite like SOA did.

Nothing beats flying through the air and seeing something kinda weird at the corner of the screen and turning to see it and being like, WTF IS THAT THING HOLY SHIT RUN OR FIGHT? RUN?! OR FIGHT!?

the answer is always fight

IrishNinja

would buy again, would LAMDA BURST all day again
hopefully with loading times/encounter rate slightly adjusted!

I hope it's an HD remaster on the level of Sony's, but it's Sega so probably not. Anyway make it a port of the GC version with the reduced encounter rate, and while you are at it do something to speed up the slow as shit ship battles.

There was a report that JSR was supposed to be an example of what to expect from Sega's digital re-releases in the future. It's on track to being one of the best HD remasters.

IrishNinja

^i know it was Treasure, but Guardian Heroes set the bar high on these things for me
then again, after Backbone it didnt take much to impress

MaxDOL

Nooooo
I recently imported the GC one from the US for 50 bucks.
Damn you international shipping rate.

I would buy the HD release.

jsr is just in hd right?they didnt add anything correct?

The preservation may not be flawless, but the presentation nearly is -- Jet Set Radio's bold, cartoonish aesthetic benefits immensely from the higher resolution, 16:9 display and 60 frames-per-second output. Oh, and there's one more thing you didn't have before: a second analogue stick to steer the camera!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/13/jet-set-radio-hd-retains-us-version-content-half-of-original-tr/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega can just have all my money at this point. It wouldn't be too surprising if they put it up considering they put Vyse in ASR this time around.

Still have a DC version and a GCN version, but will probably (most likely) give this a purchase.

teiresias

I enjoyed the game the first time through on Dreamcast, but I honestly don't know if I could play it again as it was a very slow burn through the game - meaning I remember the battles being slow, the encounter rate being high, and even moving around the world being slow. I think they need to tweak some of these things in any HD release (though I have no idea what was changed for the GC release).

Top Bottom