• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skies of Arcadia Trademark Renewed. Sega's next HD release?

DonMigs85

Well, the texture reduction isn't nearly as noticeable as the music issues - I'd be pretty happy with the GC version with the original music files slotted in, which should be relatively easy to do.

Yeah, and at least Vyse and co. actually got articulated fingers in the GC version.

Well, the texture reduction isn't nearly as noticeable as the music issues - I'd be pretty happy with the GC version with the original music files slotted in, which should be relatively easy to do.

Yeah, SoA Legends with fixed music and tweaked textures would work. Maybe squeeze in an original/Dreamcast mode for nostalgia's sake? Just for people that like to get bombarded with random battles one after another. I can hear the signature Dreamcast GDROM lazer sound that pretty much said a battle was coming even before the screen wipe. Ahh memories...

On Dreamcast I remember a trick to skip some of the random battles: during on foot exploration when the Gd-rom drive start spinning pause and unpause the game. This allow the player to skip just one encounter because the next one is already loaded in the system ram.

By the way, awesome game, no cheap filosophy just a guy and his crew who want to fly in the sky in search of adventures, is the only game who reminded me Panzer Dragoon Saga.

That night in the desert...

KNT-Zero

Sadly I really doubt Sega will do a best of both worlds-style rerelease, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Yeah I think that as well, given that they released a port of Sonic Adventure on consoles AND a DLC of the DX version. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a port of the DC version and start to offer the DC DLCs... which would be the wrong way to do it, but is perfectly possible :(

Nevertheless, I would definitely double dip on this one if it emerges on Steam, even though I have the GC version :p This game deserves more recognition!

Jackl

Probably one of the last major jRPGs I absolutely fell in love with.

The exploration, the fun combat(Random battles didn't piss me off that much), SHIP BATTLES. UPGRADING SHIPS, CREW MEMBERS, HIDEOUTS. EXTRA STUFF. Even the tone set by the game was amazingly refreshing. Kicking ass, taking names, and riding off into the sunset. Fuck you mid-life crisis, I've got bitches and torpedoes!

PLEASE SEGA, I BEG YOU SEQUEL.

Also like my other childhood games and movies, please do not ruin it. Thank you.

On Dreamcast I remember a trick to skip some of the random battles: during on foot exploration when the Gd-rom drive start spinning pause and unpause the game. This allow the player to skip just one encounter because the next one is already loaded in the system ram.

By the way, awesome game, no cheap filosophy just a guy and his crew who want to fly in the sky in search of adventures, is the only game who reminded me Panzer Dragoon Saga.

That night in the desert...

Yep, the happy go lucky premise of the game was all the reason I got so absorbed into the world of SoA. That and the characters were incredibly likable, especially Drachma.

Yeah, SoA Legends with fixed music and tweaked textures would work. Maybe squeeze in an original/Dreamcast mode for nostalgia's sake? Just for people that like to get bombarded with random battles one after another.

I only ever played it on GC and the random battles were absolutely hellish, I can't imagine what the DC version must have been like. And I'm generally a fan of random battles.

8bit

Knows the Score
I only ever played it on GC and the random battles were absolutely hellish, I can't imagine what the DC version must have been like. And I'm generally a fan of random battles.

It wasn't really that much of a difference, lets say the random encounters were on average every 180 seconds as opposed to every 150 seconds.

I've played and completed this on the DC & GC, but I loved the ship battles and may be tempted by those again.

It wasn't really that much of a difference, lets say the random encounters were on average every 180 seconds as opposed to every 150 seconds.

I've played and completed this on the DC & GC, but I loved the ship battles and may be tempted by those again.

Or 1.8 seconds vs 1.5 seconds.

ranmafan

I do hope they release this again soon. Its one of the view gems missing from my Dreamcast library. I could get it now cheaply but I would love to play it on a newer system of course.

faridmon

Why only go for an HD release, when you can remake the whole thing? I really hate to play this game with its old school annoyance like its high encounter rate and slow movement.

Sega, Remake it. Please!

Shahed

Still have my Dreamcast and GameCube versions, but would buy an HD remake in a heartbeat. Having the encounter rate tweaked would be nice though. And mayhe if the battles were sped up slightly

orioto

Good Art™
Yeah obviously the kind of content that would be great on Vita, and not even that retro... But you know... Won't happen i guess...

Shion

I have no idea why this game is so popular. It was always generic to me.
1: Awesome setting.
2: Best overworld ever made in a JRPG (well, that title goes to Xenoblade now, but still).
3: Amazing sense of adventure and exploration.
4: Discoveries.

It's pretty sad that we're excited about a port instead of a sequel.
Awesome cel-shaded graphics, no randrom encounters, Xenoblade-style battle system and Panzer Dragoon Saga-style ship battles.

GOTY 201X :p

Coxy

we knew it was comign with a long time I just hope sega took on board what peopke have been saying and have the DC music with GC content with tweaked encounter rate

Why only go for an HD release, when you can remake the whole thing? I really hate to play this game with its old school annoyance like its high encounter rate and slow movement.

Sega, Remake it. Please!

Remaking is expensive. An upgraded port could still alter encounter rates but I'd still like them to include a "classic" mode with the original Dreamcast settings. You could have Classic, Legends and Remix modes to give players the choice of experiencing the game the original devs released or a less frustrating version.

Goron2000

best junior ever
I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Vyse is a confirmed character for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, it's probably related to that.

Forkball

A sequel would be incredible. Few games reward and encourage exploration like Skies of Arcadia. It has a somewhat typical battle system, but it was still challenging and exciting.

Ezalc

One of the best RPGs of forever. I would really love a sequel, but seeing it get an HD release would be amazing. I still haven't finished my Legends copy, though I plan to do so soon enough.

matmanx1

Would love for this too happen. Vyse is one of my favorites in Valkyria Chronicles and I never got too play the original game much.

nny

I hope they add the option to have the optical drive whirring sound before a random battle starts.

Omikaru

If it is indeed a HD port of an older game, then it's not far fetched to think it's not the only one. Sega seem to do these in batches.

First batch
Sonic Adventure
Space Channel 5 part 2
Sega Bass Fishing
Crazy Taxi

Second batch
Nights into Dreams (it's a PS2 port, right?)
Jet Set Radio HD
Sonic Adventure 2

I think it's reasonable to expect some other last-gen games will be joining it, if that's the case.

So what've we got left over from last gen days? Shenmue I & II? Phantasy Star Online Ep 1 & 2? Headhunter? Panzer Dragoon Orta? Jet Set Radio Future? Anything else I'm missing?

The numbers are slowly narrowing down, and I'd really love to play PSO, JSRF and the Shenmue series in HD.

RPGCrazied

DO IT! I normally don't buy retail like games digitally. But this would be on my PS3 HD so fast. Still wish it could get a disc release.

RPGCrazied

I hope its the DC version, with the Legends content. The music in Legends took a serious hit. Most of it sounds like they are in midi format, and flat sounding.

Haunted

I can't be the only one thinking that the ship battles are better than the standard battle system? Not only by virtue of being different than the one found in a hundred other games, but also because it was to manoeuvre these big ships around strategically.

I also liked the ship battles in Infinite Space, I wish more games had something like this.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Would buy! Please be a combination of the best aspects of the DC and GCN versions. Please also sell well, so that Sega finally makes SOA2 (although I'm not sure they are actually capable of making a worthy sequel to it nowadays).

Top Bottom