• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skies of Arcadia Trademark Renewed. Sega's next HD release?

Videoneon

Ou it wouldn't be that hard. Equip Black Map and go to the Looper Nest. By the end of the game you should start with 12sp so you cN use Aika's move that she learns after Lambda Burst, or stick with that if you don't have enough. It should kill most of the Loopers except the stronger colours and maybe red. But eventually you'll start with 14 and Rain of Swords will end it in one hit

It would just be an utterly annoying and pointless grind

Damn, forgot about Rain of Swords!

But at end game (of first run, I suppose) I started with 13 SP

Vyse LV52
Aika LV51
Fina LV50
Enrique LV48

So I never had enough to start with Rain of Swords, and I don't remember but maybe some of the loopers like Blue and Purple moved too fast and would just flee anyway. Fleeing is not something to worry about I guess, probably don't get much EXP from loopers anyway.

Was it just me or did magic attacks do little damage to loopers too, because I remember frequently using Lambda Burst on Green loopers and inflicting 0 or 1 points of damage sometimes. Never tried with Omega Psyclone though...

Isn't the original code of Saga lost?

I thought all of the game's assets got deleted or something.

Yes, it's "lost".

Which means we'd have to receive a full-blown remake. WHAT A SHAME *.*

Don't know why Sega aren't considering remaking one of the most critically acclaimed games they've ever made.

Please happen. Skies is one of the best games I've ever played, and honestly my favorite RPG (yes, better than Final Fantasy)

Forever

Banned
Don't know why Sega aren't considering remaking one of the most critically acclaimed games they've ever made.

Because it wouldn't sell and it would require money they don't have.

Sega is focusing on low risk investments right now, which is frankly a good move if you want them to remain a viable publisher.

I think some of you would be disappointed because the game hasn't aged very well.

It's still not bad despite that it never reaches the highs of the FF series.

From what I recall it never reached the highs of the FF series when it was new but that didn't stop people from liking it. While I may agree with you when it comes to new people jumping into the franchise cold, I think fans of the original are more willing to look beyond the age of the game and enjoy it for what it is. A simple yet satisfying SEGA RPG.

I think updating screen perspective and resolution will help it tons as well as using the updated Gamecube models. It should be able to hold its own as a bargain buy if its priced similarly to recent SEGA heritage releases.

There was room for a proper sequel how about that? Or how about, and I know this crazy, but how about Sega release something of that caliber again!

From what I recall it never reached the highs of the FF series when it was new but that didn't stop people from liking it. While I may agree with you when it comes to new people jumping into the franchise cold, I think fans of the original are more willing to look beyond the age of the game and enjoy it for what it is. A simple yet satisfying SEGA RPG.

I think updating screen perspective and resolution will help it tons as well as using the updated Gamecube models. It should be able to hold its own as a bargain buy if its priced similarly to recent SEGA heritage releases.
The Dreamcast didn't have many RPGs so it seemed a blessing at the time. Aw well, at least the soundtrack holds up.

Skyzard

Banned

I agree with this, I don't think it would do too badly either. If it isn't just a simple trademark update to prevent others copying the idea then I would love to see it come out on vita as well which doesn't have all that many rpgs yet either.

The atmosphere in SoA was really uplifting and adventurous, I loved it and only really felt a similar thing during parts of FF9. I don't play all that many rpgs to be fair though.

McNum

I agree with this, I don't think it would do too badly either. If it isn't just a simple trademark update to prevent others copying the idea then I would love to see it come out on vita as well which doesn't have all that many rpgs yet either.

The atmosphere in SoA was really uplifting and adventurous, I loved it and only really felt a similar thing during parts of FF9. I don't play all that many rpgs to be fair though.
Xenoblade has a bit of the same, but really, Vyse is more or less in a class of his own here. I mean he
broke out of an inescapable prison, then broke back in, stole the super-prototype battleship and used that to break back out again. By making a big enough hole in the wall to just fly out.
Vyse just has the ability to weaponize optimism. That's a rare trait in an RPG protagonist.

Skyzard

Banned
Xenoblade has a bit of the same, but really, Vyse is more or less in a class of his own here. I mean he
broke out of an inescapable prison, then broke back in, stole the super-prototype battleship and used that to break back out again. By making a big enough hole in the wall to just fly out.
Vyse just has the ability to weaponize optimism. That's a rare trait in an RPG protagonist.

Trying not to read too much of the spoilered text though as I'd definitely want to replay this if it does come out! Didn't even get a chance to finish the game.

Thanks for the Xenoblade mention, will look into it as it's really rewarding to have that feeling in an rpg for me anyway.

So I mentioned the trademark news to my friend last night, and he responded "Huh, that's interesting," and related the following story to me:

He demoed the upcoming Sega/Sonic racing game at PAX this past weekend, and when he was scrolling through the character selection he saw the Vyse was a playable option. He thought Vyse's stats sucked but said out loud, "Well, it's Vyse. I can't not play Vyse," to which the booth rep responded "You know, I've heard a lot of people say that today." He then told my friend that Skies was the No. 2 IP that they got the most requests for (after JSR, I think) and did the "well I can't say anything" thing before vaguely implying that there might be a Skies related announcement to look forward to in the future.

When my friend finished the demo, he commented that he would look forward to whatever was coming up for Skies in the future, and the rep replied "Okay." (My friend thought it interesting that the rep didn't deny anything at this point in the exchange /shrug)

Take it all with a grain of salt, I guess, but a hopeful sign?

Ravidrath

When they announce this, I think a Vita version is likely?

It's likely the same studio that's porting JSR, and their tech is already set up to handle Vita, so...

It's rare nowadays to have a game like this. It isn't brash. It isn't carrying a supertanker-worth of force-fed self-importance, it doesn't think it's oh so adult, or intelligent, or progressive. It's just good happy fun with a dash of simple, honest pathos now and again. We need more of this now, and fast (at this point I go on my "Give Kodama $9m and a team of 40" rant).

Some awesome music:

(Beware of spoilers, especially in comments sections, and if you see yourself playing this game you'll want to hold off on viewing these)

Ice Dungeon

YES.

Sega bringing us back to the past,
to play the games that kick ass...

I have a soft spot for the Ixa'taka town theme:

YES.

Military Facility

Air Pirate Secret Base

Ruins

Sailor Town

Uninhabited Island

YES.

Shion

It's rare nowadays to have a game like this. It isn't brash. It isn't carrying a supertanker-worth of force-fed self-importance, it doesn't think it's oh so adult, or intelligent, or progressive. It's just good happy fun with a dash of simple, honest pathos now and again. We need more of this now, and fast (at this point I go on my "Give Kodama $9m and a team of 40" rant).

YES.

YES.

Military Facility

Air Pirate Secret Base

Ruins

Sailor Town

Uninhabited Island

YES.

Valua City (My favorite theme in the game)

Town of Ice

Valua City (My favorite theme in the game)

Town of Ice
All good choices, but...
YYvCJ.gif

Ancient Temple Dungeon

Bombardment

Videoneon

Vyse is crazy as fuck; he is amazing.

Running across the rail as it's collapsing back to Dangral Island
"Oh shit...we're fighting the Valuan Armada?...Alright, I guess we're doing it then!" several times, including the fight near the end
Fighting most all of the Gigas
First to make it in and out of the Dark Rift; prior to then thought to be a deadzone
Hanging out at the Lower Sea
Going to Outer Space (? still have no idea how the geography works for that) and hanging out at the Great Silver Shrine

Instead of a HD remake, how about a sequel.

Baby steps, man... baby steps.

Vyse is crazy as fuck; he is amazing.

Running across the rail as it's collapsing back to Dangral Island
"Oh shit...we're fighting the Valuan Armada?...Alright, I guess we're doing it then!" several times, including the fight near the end
Fighting most all of the Gigas
First to make it in and out of the Dark Rift; prior to then thought to be a deadzone
Hanging out at the Lower Sea
Going to Outer Space (? still have no idea how the geography works for that) and hanging out at the Great Silver Shrine

It's nice to see that trait wasn't lost in Valkyria Chronicles.

Vyse: *runs into a whole horde of enemies*
Vyse: HOO-WEE, our hero's in trouble now!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHHah
Vyse: *attack increase*
Vyse: *kills them all*

Duffyside

Banned
My favorite Skies moment is when you find the ice city like a chandelier underneath their continent, preserved because it was protected by the land mass above them. I don't know why, exactly, but that always stuck with me. I've always had a thing for seemingly-crazy shit with a seemingly-plausible explanation to back it.

Just too bad such a rad idea was done so long ago, as the Dreamcast didn't have the power to really make a big city to explore, so the initial awesome impression was sort of wasted as you just walked down the empty linear path, like always. Would love to see someone steal this idea with the newer consoles.

AniHawk

Baby steps, man... baby steps.

It's nice to see that trait wasn't lost in Valkyria Chronicles.

Vyse: *runs into a whole horde of enemies*
Vyse: HOO-WEE, our hero's in trouble now!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHHah
Vyse: *attack increase*
Vyse: *kills them all*

i made sure to corner the last bad guy in valkyria chronicles for the sole purpose of having vyse do the honors of killing him.

Top Bottom