• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls delisted, becoming Skullgirls Encore (see post #288 for latest updates)

Konami doing dumb ass shit. News at 11.

And if you've downloaded the game before it possibly gets taken down that the game will still do everything it normally did including online play.

Reverend

Neo Member
Again I'm not blaming Lab Zero! But if a game gets delisted it does not receive patch or additional content on PSN, my platform for the game.

It's not going to be gone-forever gone. It's listed on PSN and XBL under a certain content ID- a set of identifying numbers that associate the data with a publisher, in this case Konami. Once Skullgirls gets a new content ID under it's proper publisher and everything passes certification, they can continue to distribute as planned. In the livestream, they said that the earliest it'll be up and running is this coming tuesday, and the latest will be by mid-January.

Sounds like Konami is trying to pop a poison pill on the game right before its console transfer to Marvelous to make said transfer as unnecessarily difficult as possible. Seems quite petty of Konami
(and dumb, as there are plenty of other ways to disrupt the transfer without appearing so overtly villainous)
, if that is the case.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
This is what I want to know lol
I'd rather see a Vita/3DS port personally.
It would be the best fighter on the Vita in every aspect by far. Would revitalize the game quite a bit I like to think.

When/if this gets delisted, it would be impossible for it to ever get back on the respective stores after being taken down, correct? They couldn't republish it without them or something?

EDIT : They are getting republished by someone else. I actually read the thread again.

Wait, so why is Konami delisting the game in the first place?

This is what I want to know lol

The word of the day is "general dickery."

The long & short it is that Konami wasn't doing much at all lately to help LZ on the console front so they decided to move forward without them. Konami using the power of "general dickery" decided that if I can't then you can't which led us to where we are right now.

The long & short it is that Konami wasn't doing much at all lately to help LZ on the console front so they decided to move forward without them. Konami using the power of "general dickery" decided that if I can't then you can't which led us to where we are right now.

Man that still doesn't make any sense to me. Wasn't the game finished? Why would Konami go out of its way to take a game off when it's selling?

I imagine someone at LZ did something to piss off Konami. Otherwise this makes no sense.

There are big holes in my understanding of this, and possibly my understanding of digital publishing. So, he is trying to get a build ready with the Konami logo removed before everyone goes on vacation. But if they needed Konami to publish it on consoles, how can they get it back up so easily simply by removing the logo? And Konami's motivation to do this just doesn't make much sense-- it's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. There's a lot of background info that seems missing.

That's pretty shitty on their part then. It's like if a drug addicted decided to go to rehab, but your parents said no cause they haven't had the "intervention" TV show yet.

It would be the best fighter on the Vita in every aspect by far. Would revitalize the game quite a bit I like to think.

I'd like that, with some cross-server action between the PS3 and Vita. It'd grow the online player base at least.

hupla

There are big holes in my understanding of this, and possibly my understanding of digital publishing. So, he is trying to get a build ready with the Konami logo removed before everyone goes on vacation. But if they needed Konami to publish it on consoles, how can they get it back up so easily simply by removing the logo? And Konami's motivation to do this just doesn't make much sense-- it's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. There's a lot of background info that seems missing.
When skullgirls was first released sony and MS didnt allow self publishing so LabZero (then revergelabs) had konami publish it.

Man that still doesn't make any sense to me. Wasn't the game finished? Why would Konami go out of its way to take a game off when it's selling?

I imagine someone at LZ did something to piss off Konami. Otherwise this makes no sense.

The magic part that's missing from the logic here is that because LZ has moved forward without Konami is that they won't be making money from the game at all soon hence the delisting.

The important part is that there was a lot LZ couldn't get done without having Konami do it which in this case they weren't doing anything at all. Moving forward from Konami lets LZ be able to handle submitting patches and the like without that major hurdle. Which in turn puts the game in the wonderful position of being on parity with the PC version sooner rather than later. This is a wonderful thing for everybody who plays the game on console.

The magic part that's missing from the logic here is that because LZ has moved forward without Konami is that they won't be making money from the game at all soon hence the delisting.

Actually, if I understood correctly, the delisting is what will make them not get money from the game anymore, so had they done nothing they pretty much would be getting money for doing nothing from any new sales.

Felsparrow

Neo Member
Konami is a company full of idiots only kept afloat by one product series.

To think, if someone had poached Kojima, or if they hadn't offered him ridiculous amounts of money and power to not retire and pursue other things, Konami would be bankrupt and dissolved by now.

I even think someone can easily do better than Kojima these days, but Konami is desperate to keep their only cash cow alive.

Superman

Wow... Just wow... Be very interesting to see why they did this. Not cool Konami.

As pointed out previously though... At least they have self publishing (if they decide to go that route).

Actually, if I understood correctly, the delisting is what will make them not get money from the game anymore, so had they done nothing they pretty much would be getting money for doing nothing from any new sales.

The thing is LZ wanted out and for good reason. Konami would still be sitting back making money if they would've been a lot more prompt & helpful in the process of getting things done. And the whole point of this thing was Konami was doing next to nothing in the process but collecting money and that's just horrible business.

Konami is being douchey to Lab Zero. Hope they get the extension. Not sure why they would delist a game that is making them money. Konami is run by a bunch of idiots.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They couldn't fund it themselves.

Yeah, the IndieGoGo campaign was only for DLC:

igg_stretch_goal_bar.png

The important part is that there was a lot LZ couldn't get done without having Konami do it which in this case they weren't doing anything at all. Moving forward from Konami lets LZ be able to handle submitting patches and the like without that major hurdle. Which in turn puts the game in the wonderful position of being on parity with the PC version sooner rather than later. This is a wonderful thing for everybody who plays the game on console.

Is moving forward without the consent of the publisher legal? It seems to me that LZ went about this the wrong way.

This is the same company that had no shame pushing out the abortion that was Silent Hill HD Collection. No one should be shocked.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The fact that a popular grassroots digital game like Skullgirls needed Konami to publish them in the first place...

Arcblast

Neo Member
This makes no sense, man. So Lab Zero doesn't want Konami to publish anymore? And then Konami went ahead and delisted the game from PSN/XBL?

I think what started a lot of this mess is that a while back, Autumn Games and Konami were sued over a Def Jam Rapstar loan. This caused problems for Skullgirls, as it was also co-published by Autumn Games and Konami, and due to the lawsuit I think a lot of money was tied up and couldn't be used to continue to pay the Skullgirls crew, who wanted to continue working on the game. So they cut ties and reformed, changing from Reverge Labs to Lab Zero, and did a Kickstarter to fund their continued support of the game, and moved to new publishers.

It seems like this separation and reforming hasn't gone quite as smoothly as it could, and Konami is making it harder than it needs to be for whatever reasons.

I don't know if my info is 100% accurate as this is all from memory, but I think its the basic gist.

Pikma

Banned
From the company that killed one of the most important brands in all of gaming's history and flushed their 25+ years of legacy down the toilet in a matter of seconds. How is this surprising? And you guys say corporate evil is a myth, that "it's all about business"... They're a fucking calamity.

Argyle

Is moving forward without the consent of the publisher legal? It seems to me that LZ went about this the wrong way.

I think it's more like

Autumn and Konami co-publish Skullgirls, with Reverge developing.
Konami and Autumn end up suing each other for an unrelated matter.
Autumn has to suspend development of Skullgirls DLC because (indirectly) of the lawsuit, causing the team to get laid off from Reverge.
The team reconstitutes itself as Lab Zero and carries on. MAQL comes in and publishes the PC version.
Konami continues to be a roadblock in getting things done on the console versions. MAQL offers to take over as co-publisher with Autumn on the console versions, but this could be messy as transferring one game to another publisher on PSN/XBLA has only happened a few times before.
Konami agrees to wash their hands of Skullgirls and let MAQL take over, but it looks like they have decided to get a few parting shots in on their way out.

Crocodile

LZ legally terminated their relationship with Konami weeks ago: http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/patch-update-autumn-and-konami-cease-relations.887/

LZ has been playing it by the book this whole time. Seems to me rather than wait for the Autmun version to naturally replace the Konami version, Konami went behind LZ's back and sought to have the game delisted ASAP.

This makes no sense, man. So Lab Zero doesn't want Konami to publish anymore? And then Konami went ahead and delisted the game from PSN/XBL?

Konami has been basically super unresponsive for a while. That and their shitty testers have been partially to wholly responsible (depending on the time period) for the delay in content updates on consoles and causing that version to fall behind the PC version.

I think it's more like

Autumn and Konami co-publish Skullgirls, with Reverge developing.
Konami and Autumn end up suing each other for an unrelated matter.
Autumn has to suspend development of Skullgirls DLC because (indirectly) of the lawsuit, causing the team to get laid off from Reverge.
The team reconstitutes itself as Lab Zero and carries on. MAQL comes in and publishes the PC version.
Konami continues to be a roadblock in getting things done on the console versions. MAQL offers to take over as co-publisher with Autumn on the console versions, but this could be messy as transferring one game to another publisher on PSN/XBLA has only happened a few times before.
Konami agrees to wash their hands of Skullgirls and let MAQL take over, but it looks like they have decided to get a few parting shots in on their way out.

Basically this.

Keep fighting the good fight Lab Zero!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Konami is a company full of idiots only kept afloat by one product series.

To think, if someone had poached Kojima, or if they hadn't offered him ridiculous amounts of money and power to not retire and pursue other things, Konami would be bankrupt and dissolved by now.

I even think someone can easily do better than Kojima these days, but Konami is desperate to keep their only cash cow alive.

Oh no, a thousand times no, Konami is actually doing very well itself, video games are only a small part of their business.

Arcblast

Neo Member
Ohhh, it make sense now. Thanks!

So Marvelous took over the publishing rights from Konami already. As childish as Konami's action was... it's understandable. My family runs a small business... shit like this happens all the time when two companies parts their ways.

Konami has been basically super unresponsive for a while. That and their shitty testers have been partially to wholly responsible (depending on the time period) for the delay in content updates on consoles and causing that version to fall behind the PC version.

Yeah, I've had a little bit of... communication with Konami a loooong time ago... everything about the company was sluggish as hell. Seems like them haven't changed.

And I forgot to say, best luck to Lab Zero yo. Sounds like a really rough ride from the beginning.

Pikma

Banned
Talk shit all you want about how Square and Capcom and SEGA are awful; if you refuse to look at the mistakes and fuckuppery Konami has made this gen, then you're crazy. They're disgusting.
What what what?

I'm accusing Konami of killing Hudson Soft, isn't that enough? I didn't even talk about the other companies you mentioned.

Alfredo

Why the heck did Konami stop communicating with Lab Zero in the first place? This wouldn't have happened if it was called "Metal Gear Girls." >=[

This is complete and utter bullshit. Labzero's luck has been abysmal, Its such a shame because skullgirls is such a fun game. I hope their luck turns around when they release the /killkonami patch.

Top Bottom