• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Crowdsourcing - Completed, $829,829 raised, 4+1 characters funded

joe2187

Banned
What needs to happen now

- New tiers or open more slots on old tiers to make way for big band
- Big Band TF2 Item Tier
Profit.

Ravidrath

What needs to happen now

- New tiers or open more slots on old tiers to make way for big band
- Big Band TF2 Item Tier
Profit.

We're going to have to hold off a bit on some of the higher tiers, because we're afraid of running out of places to put NPCs, and the rewards taking away too much time from actually making characters.

kirblar

We're going to have to hold off a bit on some of the higher tiers, because we're afraid of running out of places to put NPCs, and the rewards taking away too much time from actually making characters.
Super-rare/exclusive TF2 hat tier? (Completely serious.)

Aaron

Add a shout out button to the game. It would work like a taunt, but instead of new animation it displays a word bubble with a random contributor's name in it.

Dachande

Oh, actually, I got a question about Big Band.

If you guys get the amount for BB, are you planning to scale up the team and outsourcing and work on him simultaneously with Squigly, or are you going to wait and start work on him after Squigly's done?

Ravidrath

Oh, actually, I got a question about Big Band.

If you guys get the amount for BB, are you planning to scale up the team and outsourcing and work on him simultaneously with Squigly, or are you going to wait and start work on him after Squigly's done?

We tried multiplexing character development on the core game, and it just doesn't work for us. It's hard enough to manage like 100 contractors generating 4500 unique pieces of art for one character.

But also, people get used to drawing a certain thing and it becomes easier the longer you do it, so going back and forth between characters could actually slow things down or reduce quality.

So we'll release the characters one at a time, so there's something new coming in every 3-4 months.

Dachande

Cool, yeah, makes a lot of sense. I guess that also explains why you guys did character reveals fairly slowly while making the main game!

Plus you've got the extended publicity a new DLC char every 3/4 months gives you rather than all at once/very close together.

alstein

Are you guys going to get a cut of sales/DLC in future on the PC/console versions?

Thinking if you are, if this is the case folks who are worried about you guys eating can buy the game.

Ravidrath

Are you guys going to get a cut of sales/DLC in future on the PC/console versions?

Thinking if you are, if this is the case folks who are worried about you guys eating can buy the game.

Still working this out - we'll probably get something, but likely not much.

Autumn knows full well they put us in a bad position and are really impressed with how much we've accomplished in light of the months of near-constant setbacks, but they also still have an obligation to their investors. So it's just a matter of finding that balance.

I backed this yesterday with $30.

I've been waiting for the PC version since this game was announced.
I'm totally looking forward to the beta test, actually. :)

alstein

Still working this out - we'll probably get something, but likely not much.

Autumn knows full well they put us in a bad position and are really impressed with how much we've accomplished in light of the months of near-constant setbacks, but they also still have an obligation to their investors. So it's just a matter of finding that balance.

Just wondering how you guys are going to get past eating ramen if a bunch of these chars get sourced. I know how much of a haircut you guys are taking, and you deserve better (you can say that about thousands of folks, but you guys really do, I've rarely seen devs put this much into a game)

Ravidrath

Just wondering how you guys are going to get past eating ramen if a bunch of these chars get sourced. I know how much of a haircut you guys are taking, and you deserve better (you can say that about thousands of folks, but you guys really do, I've rarely seen devs put this much into a game)

Probably not, to be honest?

Like, if we end up between goals we might use some of that money to, like... spring for health insurance? But we really plan to use it to make more stuff for the game.

Jenga

Banned
Guys put a pony in your game, $$$$$
ok how about a pony with a unicorn horn right

right okay

and she has a horn that fires projectiles

right right

still following me

and she has a tail that glows and sparkles when she charges it

and she has a mlp colorset

bam, skullgirls 2 funded

right okay

right right

still following me

bam, skullgirls 2 funded

jokes aside, if they did another fund drive for a pony oc designed by /mlp/, it would easily get funded

That Big Band VA vid is neat actually. Most amateur VAs are terrible. It's a good execution of a concept for how the character could sound - but for all we know he could have a musical riff on Sentinel's voice or something.

I might run some streams to raise awareness on Twitch, but I'll need to grab the game for PS3 first given that it's the updated version.

Kioshen

right okay

right right

still following me

bam, skullgirls 2 funded cease and desist letter from Hasbro and no more skullgirls

FTFY

Krackatoa

They call me Big Band
TPYcB50.gif

I have brass joints
TPYcB50.gif

Beat me up
TPYcB50.gif

And earn 15 Silver Points
TPYcB50.gif

Loona

right okay

right right

still following me

bam, skullgirls 2 funded

Nonononono!

Skullgirls has a fair share of half-animal characters like Ms. Fortune and the fish folk (IIRC some NPCs call them ferals, with the fish folk specifically being called dagonians, right?), so if it was to add a horse-like character, and given the lack of male characters, there's only one obvious inspiration - and that's Thirty-Thirty from Bravestarr:

Thirty_thirty.jpg

Or make that female too and call her Sarah Jane.

Scorecard time, and the pace has noticeably dropped off, which is to be expected for any Kickstarter-esque thing. We're currently standing at $213,153, still enough to overtake Pure Pwnage The Movie for the 25th all time biggest project on Indiegogo.

ASDFDSFDFADF.
This guy did a VO test for Big Band I guess, if the character is funded he NEEDS to try out for the part. I was COMPLETELY sold after the first line, oh my god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeEIWoLeRTg

AHHHH, IT'S SO PERFECT. THE JAZZ MUSIC IN THE BACKGROUND@@@
Yay, GeneralIvan. I'm glad he's finally getting roles in bigger things, he's a good VA. Hopefully they think about getting him after a few more auditions~!

Ravidrath

Scorecard time, and the pace has noticeably dropped off, which is to be expected for any Kickstarter-esque thing. We're currently standing at $213,153, still enough to overtake Pure Pwnage The Movie for the 25th all time biggest project on Indiegogo.

Yeah, we're scrambling to shift gears to Big Band, because we weren't exactly prepared for this to happen in a single day.

He will never have as much stuff as Squigly has, since she had completed preproduction by the time we were laid off, but we should be able to show everyone the pre-production process.

alstein

It may also be somewhat the lack of high-end rewards.

getting Big Band would be enough right now.

I just hope some studio sees this drive and wishes to fund a sequel or new IP. I know Lab Zero is trying.

I'd love to see a Lab Zero/Gaslamp games mash-up (Dredmor), that would be pure insanity. Just imagine Slime Diggles.

Ravidrath

It may also be somewhat the lack of high-end rewards.

We're racking our brains trying to come up with new things that might be actually worthwhile.

Like, IGG's suggesting a $5000 "meet the team" perk. Maybe I'm just being modest, but I don't think anyone would pay to meet us? And it's not like we've got a cool office to hang out in or where people can watch us work, or anything like that - everyone's working from home for the foreseeable future.

alstein

We're racking our brains trying to come up with new things that might be actually worthwhile.

Like, IGG's suggesting a $5000 "meet the team" perk. Maybe I'm just being modest, but I don't think anyone would pay to meet us? And it's not like we've got a cool office to hang out in or where people can watch us work, or anything like that - everyone's working from home for the foreseeable future.

Maybe do the meet and greet at some major? IF they can drop $5k, they can fly out there.

Another idea: sell cosplay outfits, though that would also be expensive.

joe2187

Banned
how much would it cost to make a custom Statue/figure of a character? very limited of course commission a few and see how well the tier sells?

Ravidrath

Maybe do the meet and greet at some major? IF they can drop $5k, they can fly out there.

OK, there might be something to this...

Fly to Evo, get accommodations provided, hang out with the team?

how much would it cost to make a custom Statue/figure of a character? very limited of course commission a few and see how well the tier sells?

I think we priced the initial sculpture around $1500 or so. Manufacturing costs are reasonable, but only if you end up making a lot of them.

I think we priced the initial sculpture around $1500 or so. Manufacturing costs are reasonable, but only if you end up making a lot of them.

Do you mean that's what the tier would need to be or that's how much it costs to actually make?

Depending on how much a lot is, it would be a good high level tier as long as it's truly limited, which of course it would be in this case. So yea, how much is a lot?

OK, there might be something to this...

Fly to Evo, get accommodations provided, hang out with the team?

If you made it a truly one-of-a-kind thing, people would be willing to pay way more than the actual bill of materials.

Nyoro SF

High quality figures at a 2000$ tier would be interesting if they do cost 1500 to make.

EDIT: Actually you guys need to make money, so 2500 maybe....

Ravidrath

The first one would cost $1500, but subsequent ones would cost a lot less. How much less depends on how many we make, though.

Like, I bought those insane Ratchet and Clank figures that Insomniac made for themselves through a friend. I spent $150 on those, which was at cost, but that's because they only made 300.

Elixist

The first one would cost $1500, but subsequent ones would cost a lot less. How much less depends on how many we make, though.

Like, I bought those insane Ratchet and Clank figures that Insomniac made for themselves through a friend. I spent $150 on those, which was at cost, but that's because they only made 300.

any pics of the ratchet and clank figures?

I feel like the main problem with this is one you were worried about when you were first putting the tiers together, that the prize would suck up too much of the funds.

But yea, as long as the quality is high enough, 300 at $1500 might do well. I think the real question is how much you guys are willing to spend on them to determine how many you can make.

Top Bottom