• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Crowdsourcing - Completed, $829,829 raised, 4+1 characters funded

Mesoian

Ben Birdland has seen a lot in his time, including the worst of the Grand War, but nothing was worse than was he saw when he was a beat cop in New Meridian. When he ran afoul of his crooked unit he was given a violent early retirement, and his broken body was left to spend the rest of its days in an iron lung.

Am I having a stroke or am I reading this wrong?

alstein

If they were okay quality outfits (I mean in terms of fabrics/durability/longevity), that would be SUPER expensive.

Would have to be at least a $2k reward tier.

The Evo idea for a $5k pledge would work, but you'd see a number of Japanese hop onto that pledge.

Five ultra tier slots at 5k for a trip to EVO would be nice, I think.

The Evo idea for a $5k pledge would work, but you'd see a number of Japanese hop onto that pledge.
You make it sound like a bad thing lol. I guess the ticket costs would be much higher?

Mesoian

We’d also like to experiment with the idea of making his combos musical, perhaps sounding like improvisational jazz as you chain his attacks together.

BnB = "Does John Coltrane Dream of a Merry Go Round?"

kirblar

Include some sort of EVO thing/meeting but don't include airfare. That's way too big a variable.

NEO0MJ

BRB going to go rob a bank.

Well, Grundy in Injustice does something like this. When you combo his chain throws, he sings the nursery rhyme his character is based on. It's pretty cool.

Anyways, Big Band sounds awesome. Old timer who relies on experience to beat his opponents is one of my fav' tropes.

"US only."

For international order, please add an additional $8 to your contribution.

Nyoro SF

limited at 5k..period. You are honestly looking at an item that will in a years time be up with MAx's head and Bill's hat.

Well it's not quite limited to 5k. Anyone who pays for the upper tiers also gets it. I reckon after all the tiers are added and the campaign ends that around 8000 people will have it. I dunno if that's still rare because I know nothing about the TF2 hat economy.

joe2187

Banned
Another 20K goal met, another charcater reveal. Meet Brain Drain

20130227143826-DLC_BrainDrain.png

Mysterious head of the Anti-skullgirls lab, creator of Ileum, and PainWheel. With seemingly psychic based powers, with the ability to control the actions of painwheel during her story mode.

EDIT: GiantBomb did an really great article on the campaign and the true cost of developing a game

some quotes:

The Indiegogo campaign went live on Monday morning, but articles were up on websites ahead of time. This included a Joystiq story with the headline “Skullgirls dev wants $150,000 in crowdfunding for new character,” which prompted a series of comments from users shocked at the sticker price.

“$150k Christ on a bike. I've overseen whole projects that cost less than that," said one commenter.

“Its just a character........" said one reader. "how the fuck can making a character for a video game cost more then my house??? 0_o”

“Building is what they can jump off of," said another commenter. "For one character? Even CAPCOM isn't that greedy, they only sell you the same game 3x”

Trying to raise at least $150,000 was picked for a very specific reason: it was the money Lab Zero Games needed. Often, crowdfunding projects will ask for roughly half of what it actually needs to complete what it’s really promising. There is a psychological effect to crowdfunding, and people want to back a winner. A winner is likely to exceed its funding goal, and get closer to its real goal. The Skullgirls developers actually broke down development costs, hoping to persuade people this was reality:

“We’ve always tried to be really transparent,” said Bartholow. “ [...] We’ve always taken a kind of Game Dev 101 approach to all of this. People don’t know anything about game development, and the people that you think might know something, know shockingly little.”

Other developers I’ve talked to back up Lab Zero Games’ claims.

“I think a lot of things in game production tend to be a lot more expensive than many people realize,” said former Capcom special advisor Seth Killian, who’s now a producer at Sony Santa Monica. “The Skullgirls team has done a great job breaking out some of their costs, and I can certainly attest that a good fighting game character costs a lot more to develop and implement than developing virtually any other similar asset in games. [...] The characters are the game in fighters, and adding more involves a huge amount of intricate assets and one of the most difficult ‘but how does it fit into the rest of the game’ challenges anywhere in development.”

joe2187

Banned
Brain Drain is the best design in the Skullgirls universe by a large margin. Just needs a better name.

He makes a Cameo appearence in the game during Painwheels intro

1C5a4.png

Because he's wearing that snazzy winter coat, I want him to talk just like Bane from TDKR

Johnz

Neo Member
If he had foot dive..and had bane voice I'm pretty sure brain drain would sweep the third dlc vote.

Had another idea..for the person who donates the most..why not make the promo hats for that person unusual with your own custom effects..

Just read a bit about Big Band. I love his backstory. It sounds like something straight out of Sin City.

love love love it

Mysterious head of the Anti-skullgirls lab, creator of Ileum, and PainWheel. With seemingly psychic based powers, with the ability to control the actions of painwheel during her story mode.
Brain Drain looks excellent.

Oh god that picture is giving me tridash L vibes.

I got a question that popped into my mind the other day, Ravi. The team will clearly be busy by the end of this fundraiser building all those stages and characters. I was just wondering if you plan on contacting Keits again to make sure that the stages work well for color blind people. It may be a concern since it supposedly strikes a bit more often for us guys and lord knows we are the overwhelming majority of the playerbase.

Just wondering

wildfire

Banned

EDIT: GiantBomb did an really great article on the campaign and the true cost of developing a game

some quotes:

Hmmmm Professor Shark or Painwheel's arch nemesis? I'm really hoping now we get a chance to vote on a third character.

Top Bottom