• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Crowdsourcing - Completed, $829,829 raised, 4+1 characters funded

Ravidrath

Nice to see you guys met the goal. I'll throw my $30 in when I get paid this week.

Just a suggestion but maybe for a reward you could have two custom sticks made with custom art and have anyone who donates any amount entered in a draw to win one of them. Could bring in more people or even people would make even a small donation.

Indiegogo's rules don't allow any sort of "game of chance." Anything like that has to be merit-based.

That's why we have the "Special Social Reward." Whoever gets the most money from referrals gets the stick.

...Well, except me, because I've raised like 2/3rd of it. :p

Slayven

Another 20K goal met, another charcater reveal. Meet Brain Drain

20130227143826-DLC_BrainDrain.png

jDSRWAv.jpg

joe2187

Banned
I would say that flying around in a giant swastika is bad...and offensive

but...it's pretty cool.

But nazis are bad...throw some sunglasses on the spaceship and we have a deal.

Hey, so I accidentally created the worst thread on GAF?

Oops!
It's a double edged sword. Lots of very knowledgeable people are also throwing their two cents in. Honestly, it's a far more informative thread than anything else I've seen for fighting games as of late. This is the kind of stuff we need for fans of the genre to further understand the products they buy.

I know I've been humbled a lot ever since you guys showed up and Eurogamer made that sombre article with Ono.
Yeah, that doesn't mean it will actually be funded, what's it at 40% now? That should have been the main focus. Game is still a pandering to its demographic.
The demographic that loves kickass fighting games.

high five!
What?

Pandering?

What?

Do you not see the character reveals?

The fact that the next goal is Big Band...you know...a MALE character?

Do most people just post knee jerk to thread titles?
How many guys do you see in total? I see somewhere from thirteen to fourteen out of the silhouettes/revealed characters. Most of them look pretty creative.

Kusagari

Most likely the staff itself voted.

I'll admit I was never a big supporter of Big Band...but after hearing about his playstyle, I cannot be more hyped for him.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of his design but if he's a Q that's good then I can't wait.

So if we hit 600k, I'm voting for Marie. All you Minette plebs can stay free, maid master race, etc.

Maids make the best villains.

As much as I'd love to see Stanley, Panzerfaust, Annie, Feng, and a handful of other characters on the SG roster I think Marie "deserves" the spot more than any other potential character given the game's lore and focus around the Skullheart as a plot device.

Her voice actress is amazing as well, her lines being the ones that stuck out to me the most when they got together to voice story mode during the donation drive for breast cancer research. Why hasn't that been put up on youtube yet? Hope the archives are still there x.x

So you want a poorly designed zoner character? I rather take a gamble with someone new :p

If Marie does make it, she is going to need to be reworked so much.

I think it goes without saying that she'd have to be reworked if she were made playable. I don't believe they had any intention to keep her the way she was in the boss fight if she were to make that transition. She has a vacuum in her art, her moveset would probably incorporate that in some way.

20130225114539-DLC_Marie.png

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Just make her like Rachel in BBCT. Everyone liked that character. :)

Squiggly already fills that role to an extent, what makes rachel is her wind. Squiggly has something similar a bit closer to taggers magnetism I guess though.

If marie stays the same she would pretty much be a ghetto nu/testament hybrid. If they let her transform like the boss does Im not exactly sure how they will balance that.

The problem with some character designs is that sometimes they are too good when they work and suck complete ass when just toned down a bit. So you get stuck with a character above the rest or a character that's worthless with no inbetween.

But I'll have some faith and believe they already had plans for her in advance.

Nyoro SF

If marie stays the same she would pretty much be a ghetto nu/testament hybrid.

Kreygasm Kreygasm Kreygasm

Though to kill my inner stream monster for a moment, I really really liked both Nu in BBCT and Testament in GG. While Nu eventually became just too hard for me to use effectively even with mid-level online matches and I eventually preferred Jam over Testament when I had offline GG play at my disposal I would like it if that type of character could just click with me well for once.

Anyway I don't think Marie's boss form will resemble her final form at all; I would be disappointed if the character ended up just as a random skull spawner.

Loona

As much as I'd love to see Stanley, Panzerfaust, Annie, Feng, and a handful of other characters on the SG roster I think Marie "deserves" the spot more than any other potential character given the game's lore and focus around the Skullheart as a plot device.

How would you even make her story mode work?... Double's works on the principle of clashing priorities, but for Marie to have her own?...
Maybe have her boss fight be against a team of 3 characters not powered down by the game's usual balancing mechanics, so they'd all be as strong as if they were solo?

My main issue with Marie's boss implementation is that most of what you learn about dealing with an opponent goes out the wondow when you fight her (can she even be thrown?... She feels so static I might as well be hitting the SF2 car...), whoch doscards the notion of a game boss as the final test of what the single player mode teaches you. The tutorials gave me more trouble.

Ravidrath

So, just saying...

If we get to make more Skullgirls, Marie will get made some day, no matter what.

If we didn't have our unfortunate disruption, the next characters Alex wanted to make for the first story arc were Umbrella, Black Dahlia, and Marie. Our hope was that we could get some male characters in there, too, to balance out the roster a little bit.

So, I guess in some sense, I feel like a vote for any of the three characters I mentioned above are somewhat "wasted."

Of course here's no guarantee that we'll ever be able to make characters under our own steam again, but I still feel the fan vote would be best used to make characters outside the current plan happen sooner.

Scorecard time once again, and we're just crossed another milestone, standing at $250,030, raising $36,877 in the last 30 hours or so. I'd imagine the Giant Bomb article and subsequent carnival of stupid helped. It's now the 22nd biggest project on Indiegogo of all time.

Don't forget, plenty of time left (27 days, to be precise). Plenty of time to find the $150k for Big Band and his stage.

Nyoro SF

So, just saying...

If we get to make more Skullgirls, Marie will get made some day, no matter what.

If we didn't have our unfortunate disruption, the next characters Alex wanted to make for the first story arc were Umbrella, Black Dahlia, and Marie. Our hope was that we could get some male characters in there, too, to balance out the roster a little bit.

So, I guess in some sense, I feel like a vote for any of the three characters I mentioned above are somewhat "wasted."

Of course here's no guarantee that we'll ever be able to make characters under our own steam again, but I still feel the fan vote would be best used to make characters outside the current plan happen sooner.

But what if I wanted Marie to be made first? Ha-ha! :p

NEO0MJ

How would you even make her story mode work?... Double's works on the principle of clashing priorities, but for Marie to have her own?...

I think they can create a boss version of Double, after all it's more than obvious that she's(it's?) one of the stories most powerful and knowledgeable characters.

Come on, the character couldn't even take care of two crooks, she'd be a terrible fighter. Best thing she can do is it on the sidelines and cheer Ms.Fortune.

Two hundred and fifty thousand dollars!

$ 125k to finish big band!

Loona

I think they can create a boss version of Double, after all it's more than obvious that she's(it's?) one of the stories most powerful and knowledgeable characters.

Double could work well, a gimmicks like unlimited or regenerating power bar, Ms. Fortune heads from her super that don't run out but must be hit to dissapear, exclusive attacks that use frames from characters not yet implemented (beyond the current Tommy, Squigly and Ms. Victoria stuff in her super) - her concept is pretty flexible.

Come on, the character couldn't even take care of two crooks, she'd be a terrible fighter. Best thing she can do is it on the sidelines and cheer Ms.Fortune.

At most, she could be an assist attack for her boss...
Then again, maybe her kidnapping in Nadia's ending hints at some unseen talents

I am an idiot. I should have thought of this two days ago.

Ravidrath, you have a cast of memorable VAs. You're considering items for TF2 and DOTA 2. Get some of the voice actors to make a DOTA 2 announcer/mega kill combo.

The Bastion VA did that and it's the best individual item in the entire store. People love the custom announcers. You could put it into a $40 tier and then sell it on the DOTA 2 store after it's released too.

There's no promotional hero cosmetic items in the store currently, but the Bastion and Pirate announcers are completely off the wall and the community doesn't mind.

(Although if you get a Leviathan Pudge hook OK'd by Valve, take all of my money forever.)

(Also there's only one female announcer on the store currently and it's Death Prophet and it's TERRIBLE)

Johnz

Neo Member

Ravidrath, you have a cast of memorable VAs. You're considering items for TF2 and DOTA 2. Get some of the voice actors to make a DOTA 2 announcer/mega kill combo.

The Bastion VA did that and it's the best individual item in the entire store. People love the custom announcers. You could put it into a $40 tier and then sell it on the DOTA 2 store after it's released.

best idea

Ravidrath

The Bastion VA did that and it's the best individual item in the entire store. People love the custom announcers. You could put it into a $40 tier and then sell it on the DOTA 2 store after it's released too.

There's no promotional hero cosmetic items in the store currently, but the Bastion and Pirate announcers are completely off the wall and the community doesn't mind.

(Although if you get a Leviathan Pudge hook OK'd by Valve, take all of my money forever.)

(Also there's only one female announcer on the store currently and it's Death Prophet and it's TERRIBLE)

I forgot to mention that we're already investigating announcer packs and UI skins.

Nice idea

Seems like there is definitely some wiggle room left in the tiers at this point. Something like that for $40 could work. Hopefully Peter has some stuff up his sleeve for the big, empty space between $500 and $1000. Big ticket stuff in a new tier ought to be pretty amazing too.

Ravidrath

IGG has a max of 12 active tiers, so I'd have to get rid of some to make room for new tiers. I thought a ton of people would take the $5 tier, but I might nix it to make room for others.

I'm still pricing out these mega tiers, and they should go up sometime today. We already have a taker for one of the $5000 Divinity spots, believe it or not.

IGG has a max of 12 active tiers, so I'd have to get rid of some to make room for new tiers. I thought a ton of people would take the $5 tier, but I might nix it to make room for others.

I'm still pricing out these mega tiers, and they should go up sometime today. We already have a taker for one of the $5000 Divinity spots, believe it or not.
You can definitely axe the $5 tier.

Good stuff on the making of a 5k tier. There is always someone crazy and rich enough out there for Skullgirls. Just five of those guys/gals could make a huge difference.
Once this is all said and done, you guys can recreate this gif with more than $17
That video was absolutely hilarious. Kudos to them on the addition of No mercy music. It'd be great if they could make something new before the end of this drive. :p

You're going to keep track of everyone that's in the $5 tier though, right? And I guess if you're adding two, you'd dropkick the $10 one as well

Also, I'm totally jealous of MoneyGAF. I dove in, but it'd have been nice if I could have dove in deeper.

You're going to keep track of everyone that's in the $5 tier though, right? And I guess if you're adding two, you'd dropkick the $10 one as well
Probably the patron saint? It'd make room for a new $750 or $1k tier. They're gonna need more stages than Smash Bros if they keep adding more NPCs :p

Probably the patron saint? It'd make room for a new $750 or $1k tier. They're gonna need more stages than Smash Bros if they keep adding more NPCs :p

You know, now that you mention it, there's really no need to keep any of the tiers that are sold out. They're unlikely to reopen any of them again, so they could just get rid of them all.

Johnz

Neo Member
You can definitely axe the $5 tier.

Good stuff on the making of a 5k tier. There is always someone crazy and rich enough out there for Skullgirls. Just five of those guys/gals could make a huge difference.

That video was absolutely hilarious. Kudos to them on the addition of No mercy music. It'd be great if they could make something new before the end of this drive. :p

One of those guys has a gaf account actually.

SupaNaab

Ill throw out another idea for a tier. Lessons. For a lot of supporters, they aren't just supporting the DLC content, they are purchasing a game. For instance, if I bought the hour skype conversation I would probably prefer an hour playing MikeZ's Cerebella. Also, iirc Doublefine was able to circumvent the limited number of award tiers by just posting them on their website.

wildfire

Banned
Ill throw out another idea for a tier. Lessons. For a lot of supporters, they aren't just supporting the DLC content, they are purchasing a game. For instance, if I bought the hour skype conversation I would probably prefer an hour playing MikeZ's Cerebella. Also, iirc Doublefine was able to circumvent the limited number of award tiers by just posting them on their website.

Now that is a great idea.

Zukuu

Banned
I don't play the game, but Brain Drain looks hella interesting.

I think it would be wise to include a 2nd male character, if they reach that goal. 8 / 2 is a acceptable ratio.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ill throw out another idea for a tier. Lessons. For a lot of supporters, they aren't just supporting the DLC content, they are purchasing a game. For instance, if I bought the hour skype conversation I would probably prefer an hour playing MikeZ's Cerebella.

That's a pretty good idea.

Zukuu

Banned
Also, what about Panzerfaust? He looks dope too. I loled at how literally they made his look according to the name xD (You probably all know this already, but Panzerfaust = literally "Tank fist"; translated first hand by me).

Also, what about Panzerfaust? He looks dope too. I loled at how literally they made his look according to the name xD (You probably all know this already, but Panzerfaust = literally "Tank fist"; translated first hand by me).

I imagine that his design came before his name. And, I think he has a really good chance of being the 3rd character. He's really popular.

Top Bottom