• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Crowdsourcing - Completed, $829,829 raised, 4+1 characters funded

Zukuu

Banned
I imagine that his design came before his name. And, I think he has a really good chance of being the 3rd character. He's really popular.

I think they thought "let's do a character that has a "Panzerfaust"". So the name was there first, I assume. The overall concept ala "big bulky male", was probably the first step tho.

Mike Z just said on stream that a Republican Double voice will be coming to the game

this is the greatest way to start my post-midnight day

Robofortune voice at 350K confirmed

I want to hear the plan for Big Band's voice. If its not satisfactory, I will fly out to your studio, steal all your recording equipment and do it myself.

Wow, almost 300,000.

Perhaps they actually will make 600,000.

Putting how much money they are asking to do this sort of thing, and how much people are justifying it as as a normal cost, only further proves how much of a jerk the folks at Hasbro are for C&D-ing Mane6.

The amount of work they put a stop to must be worth over 1 million dollars. Definitely have no sympathy for Hasbro in their unjust abuse of copyright law. Hasbro are basically thieves in my book for doing that.

alstein

Wow, almost 300,000.

Putting how much money they are asking to do this sort of thing, and how much people are justifying it as as a normal cost, only further proves how much of a jerk the folks as Hasbro are for C&D-ing Mane6.

The amount of work they put a stop to must be worth over 1 million dollars. Definitely have no sympathy for Hasbro in their unjust abuse of copyright law. Hasbro are basically thieves in my book for doing that.

The work in Skullgirls is 10 times as professional as the work in MLPFiM.

MLPFiM is closer to see, Eternal Fighter Zero or Melty Blood in terms of professionalism.

Kioshen

Wow, almost 300,000.

Putting how much money they are asking to do this sort of thing, and how much people are justifying it as as a normal cost, only further proves how much of a jerk the folks as Hasbro are for C&D-ing Mane6.

Who owns the IP ? Hasbro. Who funded the original shows that created the craze ? Hasbro. Who decides which direction that IP needs to go and what it doesn't need to do ? Hasbro. Who took all those recognizable characters, used those assets without permissions and created hype for their fighting engine without putting work to build up the world from the ground up ? Mane6.

Do I think Hasbro should have worked with them to work something out sure. Do I think Mane6 was just asking for it by building it without permission and steering the IP to where Hasbro I would assume would not let these characters just fight each other ? Hell yes. The amount of work Mane6 is nothing compared to the original studio that made the series and pushed by the marketing machine that made the IP the baffling juggernaut that it is today.

Steering back on the real subject, I'm really happy that the crowdfunding is going so well but really bummed at much people don't understand what a bargain this is and why it costs so much to build just one fighting game character.

joe2187

Banned
New goal met, New character reveal. Meet Feng
20130301101437-DLC_Feng.png

One of Cerabellas troupe of circus performers, capable of tremendous acrobatic feats. The two feathers in her hair actually her weapons she uses to fight.

Stuff from last night's salty cupcakes stream

Big Band
-parries, but less powerful than 3S
-stackable defense buff super
-melody combos
-musical combo inputs(hold one button while pressing another, etc.)
-Not necessarily a charge character

Feng
-Closest to Makoto and character Mike would like to have in Skullgirls most out of revealed characters so far
-Feng, Black Dahlia and Andy are three of Mike's first in line for DLC out of revealed characters. None of them are his favorite

Random
-Character beta testing on the PC possible and kinda likely
-Republican Double announcer for 250k, Robo Fortune VA for 350k, Foul mouth Parasoul VA for 450k and Soviet Mike Z announcer for 550k. There was talk of doing something with LittleKuriboh for Valentine
-Character stuff is fluid and could change at any moment. VA and beta testing stuff is real. Donate for Salty Parasoul plz

I had no clue Feng was supposed to be similar to Makoto. That alone made me donate just to cross the 260k barrier. I definitely want to see her in sooner rather than later. She is also that super thin pixie type. Makoto and acrobatics? What's not to like?

Stuff from last night's salty cupcakes stream

Big Band
-parries, but less powerful than 3S
-stackable defense buff super
-melody combos
-musical combo inputs(hold one button while pressing another, etc.)
-Not necessarily a charge character

Feng
-Closest to Makoto and character Mike would like to have in Skullgirls most out of revealed characters so far
-Feng, Black Dahlia and Andy are three of Mike's first in line for DLC out of revealed characters. None of them are his favorite

Random
-Character beta testing on the PC possible and kinda likely
-Republican Double announcer for 250k, Robo Fortune VA for 350k, Foul mouth Parasoul VA for 450k and Soviet Mike Z announcer for 550k. There was talk of doing something with LittleKuriboh for Valentine
-Character stuff is fluid and could change at any moment. VA and beta testing stuff is real. Donate for Salty Parasoul plz

I had no clue Feng was supposed to be similar to Makoto. That alone made me donate just to cross the 260k barrier. I definitely want to see her in sooner rather than later. She is also that super thin pixie type. Makoto and acrobatics? What's not to like?

Stuff bolded:
funny-gifs-want.gif

Especially for sailor mouth Parasoul, I wouldn't mind giving my favorite character some new and hopefully hilarious dialogue

Johnz

Neo Member
Some day we will get new tiers..and valve will be ok with skullgirls using hats to fund an indygogo..and the money will go up thousands of dollars at a time.

Soulstar

What's this about Feng playing like Makoto!? Welp might as well stop here we all know there can be no other option.

Stuff bolded:

Especially for sailor mouth Parasoul, I wouldn't mind giving my favorite character some new and hopefully hilarious dialogue
You and me both.
Some day we will get new tiers..and valve will be ok with skullgirls using hats to fund an indygogo..and the money will go up thousands of dollars at a time.
It's a slow burn, but the 30-150 dollar tiers are really coming through. The thirty dollar tier seems to be averaging about 12 transactions per hour. If they kept a similar pace for the next twenty-five days we could still rake in 216k. This doesn't even include the occasional $50 to $150 transactions that show up 1-3 times per hour.

I worry about the third character. I felt it was a sure-fire bet earlier and gaming journalism has been good as hell to us during this post PS4 period. I hope it stays quiet like this for most of the campaign.
What's this about Feng playing like Makoto!? Welp might as well stop here we all know there can be no other option.
Azure J will be so pleased.

Johnz

Neo Member
You and me both.

It's a slow burn, but the 30-150 dollar tiers are really coming through. The thirty dollar tier seems to be averaging about 12 transactions per hour. If they kept a similar pace for the next twenty-five days we could still rake in 216k. This doesn't even include the occasional $50 to $150 transactions that show up 1-3 times per hour.

I worry about the third character. I felt it was a sure-fire bet earlier and gaming journalism has been good as hell to us during this post PS4 period. I hope it stays quiet like this for most of the campaign.

Azure J will be so pleased.

but the hat transactions should stop soon shouldn't they due to the valve thingy?

alstein

Would it be possible at all to get Filia in her original outfit? I like it much better than the outfit that made it into the game.

Alfredo

I hope they get the Valve thing sorted out. I'd imagine a lot of donations came from just the TF2 hat. I've already seen a person tweeting to the Skullgirls account about wanting a refund because of it.

joe2187

Banned
Would it be possible at all to get Filia in her original outfit? I like it much better than the outfit that made it into the game.

Color pallettes yes

Alt costumes?...No way in ever. 2D characters hand drawn...another outfit would require them to redraw the entire character from scratch.

but the hat transactions should stop soon shouldn't they due to the valve thingy?
If it were that big a deal then Valve would have stopped the presses on the spot.
I hope they get the Valve thing sorted out. I'd imagine a lot of donations came from just the TF2 hat. I've already seen a person tweeting to the Skullgirls account about wanting a refund because of it.
A bit premature to say the least lol.
Show me the receipts.

Johnz

Neo Member
If it were that big a deal then Valve would have stopped the presses on the spot.

A bit premature to say the least lol.

Show me the receipts.

I do believe the way ravi worded it on twitter is that people will be refunded that money if it doesn't work out. So. Could go either way honestly.

Do the math. 30$ x 2730 = 81,910 or 70k+

Top Bottom