• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Mr. X

Oh man

I put in some lab time and I feel like I actually have a decent hold on Fortune now.

So when you use the dash teleport slash move with Valentine, I mix myself up. What's the timing and direction on the input if I want to cancel into a blockbuster after it? I don't seem to be able to cancel via recovery.

Mike Z put something in so specials that cross up don't require you to input the blockbuster in reverse. So if you land Savage Bypass (that teleport slash move) on the Player 1 side, input the blockbuster from the Player 1 side.

~~

Skullgirls @ EVO news

Final Details on the Tournament http://skullgirls.com/forums/forums/index.php?threads/final-evo-details-for-skullgirls.1936/

Marvelous AQL will be doing a stream from the Lab Zero twitch channel. Details on the stream here http://skullgirls.com/forums/forums...kullgirls-events-streaming-from-evo2013.1937/

5MB patch for SG PC today. Anything interesting?

Steam names show up in quick matches and apparently Mike is messing with the frame data in some of Squigly's moves.
Frames : http://skullgirls.com/forums/forums...-and-general-discussion.30/page-10#post-68224

also :

MikeZ said:
[10:59] wippler-workn: IMPORTANT MESSAGE
[10:59] wippler-workn: IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING CRAPPY ONLINE, DON'T PLAY WINDOWED. PLAY IN ALT-ENTER FULLSCREEN. IT WILL BE MUCH BETTER.
[11:00] wippler-workn: and tell your opponent.
[11:00] wippler-workn: except you can't :^P
[11:02] wippler-workn: ESPECIALLY if you are NOT experiencing crappy online. It will help your opponents.
[11:02] wippler-workn: Yeah well...apparently there's something wrong with the frame limiting code. >.<
[11:02] wippler-workn: fullscreen will put you at 60hz

Ravidrath

If I can tell which person you are, sure :p

You can always just go up and ask for Ravidrath.

But this should help you out:

9223097857_18516fbf94_b.jpg

I'm the one on the far right.

It'll be hard for him to recognize you since you aren't looking at the camera, but at least SK knows to look for the shirtless dude with dyed white hair. :)

Ba ha ha ha ha ha

Good to know that the online isn't screwed on PC. :D I'll play some tonight.

So at the end of my stream I hop online and discover the last 35 hours of practice was meaningless, as I am fated to always be bottom tier at all fighting games.

Sigh.

Is that me lol? >.<
Yes

Some people can't handle pressure. Lord knows I fall apart before Q's trolling whenever I fight him in any game (except Skullgirls) lol.
I got my ass handed to me by many squigly's online yesterday.

I wasn't prepared, she's got a tricky game....and I must learn it.
I stick to solos whenever I run into Squigly players. Feels bad cutting them down with my full duo of Parasoul and Peacock.
Mike Z put something in so specials that cross up don't require you to input the blockbuster in reverse. So if you land Savage Bypass (that teleport slash move) on the Player 1 side, input the blockbuster from the Player 1 side.

~~

Skullgirls @ EVO news

Final Details on the Tournament http://skullgirls.com/forums/forums/index.php?threads/final-evo-details-for-skullgirls.1936/

Marvelous AQL will be doing a stream from the Lab Zero twitch channel. Details on the stream here http://skullgirls.com/forums/forums...kullgirls-events-streaming-from-evo2013.1937/
Thanks for the write-ups. Gonna have to tune in for the Lab Zero stream since they've got so much going on in there.
So at the end of my stream I hop online and discover the last 35 hours of practice was meaningless, as I am fated to always be bottom tier at all fighting games.

Sigh.
Good things come those who practice and it'll take a lot more than 35 hours to really have it down. I consider all fighting games practice for each other.

Good things come those who practice and it'll take a lot more than 35 hours to really have it down. I consider all fighting games practice for each other.

Yeah, even 3D games can help with 2D fighters. After sticking with SCV for a while I felt improvement in some of my fundamentals overall for example.

Although it can also fuck things up in the short term if you keep switching between similar enough games. At my arcade there were multiple times I tried to pushblock in Blazblue and then barrier guard in TvC, and let's not forget that one time I was trying to block in UMvC3 with a block button and do two button grabs >.>;

alstein

The crappy online seems to be a problem with some folks and not others, and the game defaults to windowed.
I kinda expect that the issues with online I have at times is the opponent, as my laptop runs SG ridiculously easily.

Runs the game a lot better than I play it- Marvel-style games are a foreign language to me.

Suggest changing default to fullscreen if possible in the next beta patch.

Ravidrath

The crappy online seems to be a problem with some folks and not others, and the game defaults to windowed.
I kinda expect that the issues with online I have at times is the opponent, as my laptop runs SG ridiculously easily.

Runs the game a lot better than I play it- Marvel-style games are a foreign language to me.

Suggest changing default to fullscreen if possible in the next beta patch.

Yeah, we're probably going to do this, also just so it works better with Big Picture mode, which is how we imagine many people playing it.

Masaki_

Played some matches with folks with whopping 200+ ping and, as long as we picked the recommended delay, it was pretty much smooth. Problem is people who insist on playing with delay 0 like GGPO can work miracles (then will proceed to complain about GGPO on forums).

Also, will anyone who's familiar with Fortune give me a few tips? What normals should I be using, general plan, movement, etc? Just basic, general stuff.

Gotta agree with that. Skullgirls helped my AA game and blocking in SF4 without me noticing.
Yeah, even 3D games can help with 2D fighters. After sticking with SCV for a while I felt improvement in some of my fundamentals overall for example.

Although it can also fuck things up in the short term if you keep switching between similar enough games. At my arcade there were multiple times I tried to pushblock in Blazblue and then barrier guard in TvC, and let's not forget that one time I was trying to block in UMvC3 with a block button and do two button grabs >.>;
I should have made special mentions for Tekken and SFIV. Everything I've played doesn't help me there for squat. Tekken I can understand... but SFIV.
Played some matches with folks with whopping 200+ ping and, as long as we picked the recommended delay, it was pretty much smooth. Problem is people who insist on playing with delay 0 like GGPO can work miracles (then will proceed to complain about GGPO on forums).

Also, will anyone who's familiar with Fortune give me a few tips? What normals should I be using, general plan, movement, etc? Just basic, general stuff.
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say you want to make effective use of her overheads while headless and you want to practice om nom nom confirms from far away. It sucks chewing on your opponent's leg only to drop the easiest hit confirm because you couldn't dash cross the stage fast enough.

Also, check the SRK wiki and figure out which normals cause her head to fall off on trades. I hate it with a passion when I press a button that gets me punished like that.
Have a look at Guitalex's awesome guide.

--------

Currently watching the Ultrachen EVO pre-show and apparently the SG side tourney is up to around 160-170 people registered for it XD. Keep in mind that MK9 is hovering around 201 people.

This. Is. AWESOME.
wat
link pls

Kioshen

I should have made special mentions for Tekken and SFIV. Everything I've played doesn't help me there for squat. Tekken I can understand... but SFIV.

wat
link pls

Here's the timestamp.

As for SF4, it's just that Skullgirls is so much faster than SF4 pacing wise that when people jump at me now I have better/faster reactions than when I only played that game. Blocking crossups is no longer an issue either because cross ups in SG are everywhere.

Beckx

Here's the timestamp.

As for SF4, it's just that Skullgirls is so much faster than SF4 pacing wise that when people jump at me now I have better/faster reactions than when I only played that game. Blocking crossups is no longer an issue either because cross ups in SG are everywhere.

No matter how many long combos I do in SG I still can't hit links. I will dub my progression through SFIV as "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Grapplers & Charge Characters." I should probably test out Parasoul again.

The actual tourney thread on Skullheart says 145 though. Still, that's not counting any on site registrations.

And people who don't post on Skullheart.

Beating MK9 in registration numbers would be delicious. It would give good ammunition towards getting SG instated as a full tournament next year.

ANYWAY I am going to be working on my SG game loads this evening. :D

Mr. X

Oh, word? I thought that was the same as most forum posts about attendance - one person updating a list and folks posting "I'm going" and whatnot.

Fair enough then.

Nope. Render is a part of Lab Zero and he's updating the list with people who've did the online registration.

alstein

Yeah, we're probably going to do this, also just so it works better with Big Picture mode, which is how we imagine many people playing it.

Tried fullscreen, it just wouldn't fit on my screen no matter the size I picked. Windowed fullscreen works fine.

Thinking this may be an issue with my comp, where I'm tempted to just reformat at this time.

Nope. Render is a part of Lab Zero and he's updating the list with people who've did the online registration.

Remind me to fact check in the future before posting anything. :p

Which reminds me:

Streamers of Skullgirls! (Who use OBS, anyway):

I've been tinkering with my stream's settings today to see if I can make it look as snazzy as I can, and I think I might have found something useful, if anyone else wants to test it to corroborate. In the "Custom x264 Encoder Settings" window, enter the value tune=animation, and then try comparing quality. I might be mistaken, but from what I've tested it does help make the game look a bit better. :)

Currently I'm running the following custom settings:

tune=animation 8x8dct=1 aq-mode=2 b-adapt=2 bframes=1 chroma-qp-offset=2 colormatrix=smpte170m deblock=0:0 direct=auto ipratio=1.41 keyint=240 level=3.1 me=umh merange=16 min-keyint=auto mixed-refs=1 no-mbtree=0 partitions=all profile=high psy-rd=0.5:0.0 qcomp=0.6 qpmax=51 qpmin=10 qpstep=4 ratetol=10 rc-lookahead=30 ref=1 scenecut=40 subme=10 threads=0 trellis=2 weightb=1 weightp=2

Everything other than tune I pulled off of a forum post I pulled up a little while back. I seem to be able to stream 432p now rather than 360p.

You can always just go up and ask for Ravidrath.

But this should help you out:

9223097857_18516fbf94_b.jpg

I'm the one on the far right.

That's me in the middle, BTW!

Went to AX in part because I wasn't going to be able to make it to Evo, got to meet just about everyone sans the VAs. The lines for signatures on Sunday were crazy. And the line for the Skullgirls panel pretty much eclipsed the entire hall leading up to the room housing it; I think if they'd been able to let everyone who wanted to see it in, the room would be almost 3x over capacity.

I got to see Mike on Sunday. He insisted on taking a pretty crazy picture, heh. Also thanks to him I ended up getting some picture keychains from this booth in the Artist's Alley section. Mine has Feng on one side, Annie on the other. I got some Stanley ones for a few of my friends too. Peter also hooked me up with one of those awesome Lenny plushies on Friday, which were selling like hotcakes and were gone(I think?) before Sunday.

On Monday I got to have dinner with Peter, Alex, Mariel, Jon, Brian, and Richard, plus two of my friends. Did some curry and some ice cream, both of which were pretty delicious! Also finally got the donation drive posters signed, for the SRK guys who were waiting on those. (End of an ordeal, man... </3 USPS)

AX in general was a blast, but I gotta say I'm even more excited and proud to be working for L0 after getting to meet almost everyone in person. You guys are the best. :D

I said it in the IRC, but I'll repeat it here: it is awesome that I can pop into the IRC at certain times and bounce a query off of Mike Z about something in the game.

I pop into the IRC to ask if any of them know if the fact that you can do a stancel with qcf+lp+lk is intentional or not and I got a clear and quick answer. :)

That isn't common in the video game industry and I give him massive props for it.

I said it in the IRC, but I'll repeat it here: it is awesome that I can pop into the IRC at certain times and bounce a query off of Mike Z about something in the game.

I pop into the IRC to ask if any of them know if the fact that you can do a stancel with qcf+lp+lk is intentional or not and I got a clear and quick answer. :)

That isn't common in the video game industry and I give him massive props for it.
What's the link to the IRC? I want to lobby for my idea.

Here's the timestamp.

Thanks

Yeah, that was pretty much my experience regarding speed except I learned it long ago from other anime games. Mahvel 3 is pretty good at getting you used to high speed blocking too.
That's me in the middle, BTW!

Went to AX in part because I wasn't going to be able to make it to Evo, got to meet just about everyone sans the VAs. The lines for signatures on Sunday were crazy. And the line for the Skullgirls panel pretty much eclipsed the entire hall leading up to the room housing it; I think if they'd been able to let everyone who wanted to see it in, the room would be almost 3x over capacity.

I got to see Mike on Sunday. He insisted on taking a pretty crazy picture, heh. Also thanks to him I ended up getting some picture keychains from this booth in the Artist's Alley section. Mine has Feng on one side, Annie on the other. I got some Stanley ones for a few of my friends too. Peter also hooked me up with one of those awesome Lenny plushies on Friday, which were selling like hotcakes and were gone(I think?) before Sunday.

On Monday I got to have dinner with Peter, Alex, Mariel, Jon, Brian, and Richard, plus two of my friends. Did some curry and some ice cream, both of which were pretty delicious! Also finally got the donation drive posters signed, for the SRK guys who were waiting on those. (End of an ordeal, man... </3 USPS)

AX in general was a blast, but I gotta say I'm even more excited and proud to be working for L0 after getting to meet almost everyone in person. You guys are the best. :D
Sounds like you had a freaking blast. I really got to make it out to whatever event they attend in the East Coast.
I'll probably steal that line wholesale and try it out on my rig. I'll try to stream my FT25 with Zidiane when i come around to it. Y'all be able to watch me get blown up live and I'll have a recording to relive the horrors.
So... 25 matches exactly then? lol
I'd probably do about the same

Dude's "Yolobella" scares the crap out of me, but his honest play has inspired me to pick her up every once in a while. Right now is actually a good time to try an alternative with the beta and so many new people playing.
Is there a schedule related to his appearances, or do I just have to chill and hope I find him?
Some say the Wippler never sleeps. You'll run into him if you just lounge around in there. Just don't bring up EVA if you know what is good for you. Also, don't mind DDB's Annie mania.

Top Bottom