• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Ravidrath

Regarding command lists...

They do work, the problem is using a controller to select them. Supposedly if you select the option with the Spacebar it works.

I have no idea why this is the case, but it's being fixed along with everything else that's been reported.

Argyle

I'm having trouble finding matches. Found one the whole night. After that, nothing. I know there's people playing the game, so this might be a network issue.

You are playing on a Portuguese copy of Windows right? There is still some attempt with Steam to match you with someone geographically close, since anyone near you (Portugal or Brazil most likely) is crashing right away and may not know about how to get the game running, that might be why you are having problems finding matches...

I have no idea why this is the case, but it's being fixed along with everything else that's been reported.

As you can repeatedly the button to get the menu to open, it might be an issue with controllers accidentally closing the window as they open it?

Squigly seems a bit ridiculous right now. She's going to be very important to the metagame.

As you can repeatedly the button to get the menu to open, it might be an issue with controllers accidentally closing the window as they open it?

Squigly seems a bit ridiculous right now. She's going to be very important to the metagame.

She's still a work in progress, and I don't think balancing has started yet, So, yeah, she's currently unbalanced as hell, although I expect the nerf bats to be flying in through the window before she's released.

I'm not seeing the OP stuff at all, but I'm usually kinda slow on the uptake when it comes to games like this one where all the characters have stupid good tool sets.

There's nothing extreme about her on point - it's the great variety of assists she has.

Sing, spear, tremolo, NO NO NO, both her flame breath normals, possibly even Draugen Punch, if that can be used as an assist.

And the fact that they can be charged up by tagging her out after she's got level 2 in either. So NO NO NO attacks seven times on the first time it's used.

And the fact that she can end her combo with the lvl 1 floating orb super and have time to get some charge and tag out.

I think it's terrific that she's super easy to use though. Her combos don't really require much grinding at all, and that's great news for newbies.

Squigly Stuff :
Some of the damage on her attacks seem a bit off in that moves that you'd expect to be seeing do more damage (her DP, Drag N Bite, Palm) do pretty paltry damage for what they open up in terms of options after the fact. Compare this to QCF+LK which is seemingly completely safe on block (may even leave you at an advantage which sort of discourages the use of her stance cancels to begin with), does more damage than every other level 1 stance move (more damage than Palm, DP, and QCF+HP), and allows you to link normal moves afterwards in the corner. I'd definitely consider tweaking that.

In order of damage for level 1 special moves I'd set it up like this
Palm -> DP -> Drag N Bite -> QCF+LK

Not sure where I'd put "Get Over Here!" and the weird ground snake move on this list though.

I feel like Squigly's supers are less oriented with tacking on damage at the end of combos and more oriented with setting up specific situations where your opponent is forced to block. Sing + Singing Super is REALLY effective at taking your opponent from wherever he is and forcing him to block. Really I just throw that super out there at any opportunity in order to get my offense started in situations where I'm a bit lost in the neutral.

I think charged Palm's (QCF+LP) hitbox should be bigger to reflect the effect of the skill itself.

Stances being QCF's instead of QCB throws me off like nothing other, don't ask me why.

None of this is OP persay because she's way more limited in terms of approach options compared to a character like Filia but I think things become a bit sticky when you take her singing special into consideration. She can cover it pretty well if she cancels into the LP+MP Singing super and if used as an assist ... yeah I need to play against it more. If anyone wants to run Rushdown Character + Sing against my Peacock I'd love to take you up on that offer. I don't want to say Sing completely destroys Peacock until I play against it a little more.

There's nothing extreme about her on point - it's the great variety of assists she has.

Sing, spear, tremolo, NO NO NO, both her flame breath normals, possibly even Draugen Punch, if that can be used as an assist.

I'll agree that Squigly's assist pool is nothing short of awesome but I don't think that that inherently makes her unbalanced or anything. Cerebella also has a large pool of pretty stellar assists but the difference is that where as Cerebella also has amazing DHC options Squigly just ... doesn't. Her supers are pretty difficult to utilize in that regard and do paltry damage, she gets some combos off of her supers but with undizzy being where it is right now you can't do Full Combo -> DHC -> Full Combo so the low damage really can affect her stuff.
And the fact that they can be charged up by tagging her out after she's got level 2 in either. So NO NO NO attacks seven times on the first time it's used.

Not a huge deal I think, they're only usable in their charged form once so I'm okay with a person occasionally getting the suped version of their assists out.

I think it's terrific that she's super easy to use though. Her combos don't really require much grinding at all, and that's great news for newbies.

Agreed, she's simultaneously really easy to pick up and VERY deep in terms of the amount of options one has to play with.

SerRodrik

As a fighting game newbie who has a hard time getting into Skullgirls partially because none of the characters really seem to click with me, this is good news. I hadn't done much research, but for some reason I wasn't expecting Squigly to be very beginner friendly. Can't wait for her to be released for consoles.

Nabs

bang__31339.1373043135.850.1133.jpg

sick. http://www.eightysixedclothing.com/skullgirls-weekly-tee-bang/

I'd like to see charged inputs added as assists in the game. It would be an easy way to give Painwheel a set of good assist options.

So guys.
WvCxzhD.png

http://www.twitch.tv/eightysixed/b/426349404?t=1h35m

Yup. I've been lobbying for this ever since they added the option for you to have Peacock's charged item drop as an assist. There's a distinct lack of really good projectile assists in the game anyway so I'd be all for it.
When did they add that, and why is there a double standard? Painwheel is the only character in the game without interesting assist options. I like the general design philosophy of every character having good assists, but it's like they forgot to apply the principle to her.

Big Band is looking good.

When did they add that, and why is there a double standard? Painwheel is the only character in the game without interesting assist options. I like the general design philosophy of every character having good assists, but it's like they forgot to apply the principle to her.

Big Band is looking good.

I think adding charging assists is more work than the way most of the assists are implemented now. It's something Mike has to go in and set up as opposed to it just happening with regular attacks and non charged specials.

Mike only has so much time, and there's only so much he can do, but if it's a good idea, or even if it isn't, he'll get around to at least trying it out eventually.

I think adding charging assists is more work than the way most of the assists are implemented now. It's something Mike has to go in and set up as opposed to it just happening with regular attacks and non charged specials.

Mike only has so much time, and there's only so much he can do, but if it's a good idea, or even if it isn't, he'll get around to at least trying it out eventually.
I understand that his time is limited. I would be content if I just saw it on his "to do" list so that I know that, eventually, Painwheel won't be the only character without good assist options.

shaowebb

I cannot express how much I am loving Squigly's play style. I found my go to for troublesome Peacocks now. Get over here, screen drag and that jumping HP. My God she can keep the pressure going. Plus the orb Special gets you some great opportunities to go in and wreck folks.

I understand that his time is limited. I would be content if I just saw it on his "to do" list so that I know that, eventually, Painwheel won't be the only character without good assist options.

Yea, I feel ya. My idea's on the to-do list and it feels good.

I think people bug him about charged assists somewhat frequently though, but if you want to be sure hit him up yourself. He's on irc on a regular basis and he uses his skullheart account.

I cannot express how much I am loving Squigly's play style. I found my go to for troublesome Peacocks now. Get over here, screen drag and that jumping HP. My God she can keep the pressure going. Plus the orb Special gets you some great opportunities to go in and wreck folks.
Does she stomp Painwheel? That j.HP is huge and scary.

Yea, I feel ya. My idea's on the to-do list and it feels good.

I think people bug him about charged assists somewhat frequently though, but if you want to be sure hit him up yourself. He's on irc on a regular basis and he uses his skullheart account.
Should I just PM him on Skullheart? What is his user name?

Painwheel is a point character, she doesn't need good assists.

#Nitsumalogic

ANYWAY When's Skullgirls Day 8 has begun. www.twitch.tv/fairlysadpanda

EDIT: Twitch is being useless, switched to http://hashd.tv/fsp for the time being. No kappa faces but at least the site works properly.

Where the heck do you read your comments from? I've been thinking about this since 2 days ago, but I forgot to ask. Skullheart IRC? Where am I supposed to go to harass chat with you?

I fought one Squigly so far. I'm pretty sure it was the same person three times so I went from Peacock/Parasoul to Solo Parasoul and a Solo Peacock to finish it off. Jumping heavy punch is no joke. It has better range than Parasoul's jumping heavy punch which is bonkers. I felt bad after I got a perfect, though. I can't play on Steam. It felt bad getting a perfect with Solosoul on someone that was probably new.

Peacock is ass with the limited tracking on her heavy punch item drop. True story, dawg.

Peacock is ass with the limited tracking on her heavy punch item drop. True story, dawg.

Naaaa, her zoning is still ridiculous. I'll grant you that it takes a bit time to get used to but once you get into the habit of expecting the inevitable pressure the item drop MP becomes really invaluable.

Naaaa, her zoning is still ridiculous. I'll grant you that it takes a bit time to get used to but once you get into the habit of expecting the inevitable pressure the item drop MP becomes really invaluable.
Those were just my first day impressions. I'm sure I'll adjust eventually.

What are some good Peacock combos I can practice mid-stage? I really need more than my day one combo lol.

Those were just my first day impressions. I'm sure I'll adjust eventually.

What are some good Peacock combos I can practice mid-stage? I really need more than my day one combo lol.

MK
jHP Airdash jLK MP
land -> jump
jLP jLK jMP
land
whatever ground combo you want

Kinda awkward on Cerebella, requires different timing during the first jump.

I have honestly never used IRC.

On Skullheart, there's a tab under the giant logo called IRC Chat where the Home, Forum, and other tabs are listed. Click on that and it'll load a client for you. Choose a nickname and it'll take you right into the irc channel. I think Mike has a tendency to stay up late into the night working, and he seems to be on irc then

I fought one Squigly so far. I'm pretty sure it was the same person three times so I went from Peacock/Parasoul to Solo Parasoul and a Solo Peacock to finish it off. Jumping heavy punch is no joke. It has better range than Parasoul's jumping heavy punch which is bonkers. I felt bad after I got a perfect, though. I can't play on Steam. It felt bad getting a perfect with Solosoul on someone that was probably new.

Aren't you picking Squigly up?

Yup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zdq3P5RVFw

He adds an extra jMP before the jHP but it totally works.
Man, Peacock's day one combos and Argus Agony are so good that I never felt like learning the advanced stuff. It's gonna be a long, but rewarding road if I stick with Peacock.
Aren't you picking Squigly up?
I was going to do this initially, but there is only one thing I dislike more than charge motions and command supers. The lack of a simple forward air dash really puts me at an awkward place right now(love Squigly's Jetsons ground dash though!). I was looking for someone to replace Peacock eventually, but I like mobility. Squigly's supers also don't really gel with me. Her daisy pusher is one of my favorite supers ever (Azure's geometric Sonic flower mention, the cool poems and how Darkstalkers it looks with that coffin drop haha), but everything else is weird. Her daisy pusher and level 3 do good damage, but her level ones don't do much and seem like they are more for placement. Her daisy pusher also doesn't seem to mesh all that well with Parasoul which puts me in an awkward place. Feels like I'm in a "wait and see" kinda place until Beowulf drops. I might end up going Beowulf/Parasoul. That was probably going to be the endgame until SG2.

I'm a really shallow player so I'll probably just end up watching higher level players until I see someone come up with good Parasoul/Squigly setups. Squigly's combos are amazing, though. Right now Parasoul, Squigly, Peacock, Filia and Cerebella(all in that order) all offer simple combo variety midstage or in the corner. Maybe I should try Cerebella again...

NEO0MJ

I was going to do this initially, but there is only one thing I dislike more than charge motions and command supers.

But brah, a man with your avatar needs to main Squigly.

Man that's it right there, my next potential team. I might finally be motivated to go past Solo Parasoul and pick up another person. Can't wait for Big Band

I love that he covers something the game needs, a slow and large heavy hitter. Hope his parry system is easy to use.
I wonder how popular Big Band will be, especially considering he'll be the first male character in the game.

But brah, a man with your avatar needs to main Squigly.
It could still happen. Parasoul is the walking embodiment of a character I normally wouldn't play (No air supers, air dashes and charge motions on lots of moves), but I'm using her now. Squigly is just a bit more awkward with her supers is all.
It'll look even better when we release the high-res sprite pack, with native 1080p sprites!
Will there be some sort of option to switch between current and native sprites if it impacts performance?

Beats

Finally got backwards wavedashing down with Filia. I don't think it's possible on a stick though. :x

Question about GGPO/online: I've had a few matches where the game would stutter/jump around on my end for the entire match even though the connection was good according to the ping. I always set the delay to the recommended levels, but if my opponent doesn't would that cause problems?

Finally got backwards wavedashing down with Filia. I don't think it's possible on a stick though. :x

I don't have any trouble with it on stick at least.

Question about GGPO/online: I've had a few matches where the game would stutter/jump around on my end for the entire match even though the connection was good according to the ping. I always set the delay to the recommended levels, but if my opponent doesn't would that cause problems?

Nope, it shouldn't cause any problems actually. Having played it in this fashion with darkstalkers resurrection (delay always set to 1), on PC with classic games, and with it on the console version I can't say that the delay my opponent has set has in any way affected my matches. There's a more fundamental problem here at work which we can only speculate about, a lot of people are saying that the issues you're experiencing are from individuals who are simply trying to play the game with settings their computers cant handle.

Top Bottom