• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Wasn't sure if I should post here or in the other OT, so hope you don't mind me posting in both.

In the long wait for SF5, I decided to hop back to skullgirls, a game which I honestly didn't give much attention to when it first came out. With the new characters and numerous streams resparking my interest, I preordered it looking to have it as my "secondary" fighting game (which btw, Ravidrath, good job on you guys for having unquestionably the best theme on PSN). Been having fun doing trials and just hitting training mode, also lots of reading on Skullheart. Basically, I was wrong about skullgirls.

I've decided to main Beowulf, I wasn't to interested in him when he was announced, but after trying him out, I really dig his move set and mechanics(Plus anyone with a BIONIC ARRRRMMMM!!! is good in my books). Which brings up my question, Beowulf's big problem looks like its getting in, and applying adequate pressure from a distance. He definitely seems like he needs a strong assist to really maximize his game plan. So I was wondering who do you guys feel would be a strong assist to help Beowulf break through the mid range to get on the opponent? I like Big Band and his rush punch assist, but with my limited knowledge of the game, I cant help but feel that I'm just missing some better options.

Mr. X

Wasn't sure if I should post here or in the other OT, so hope you don't mind me posting in both.

In the long wait for SF5, I decided to hop back to skullgirls, a game which I honestly didn't give much attention to when it first came out. With the new characters and numerous streams resparking my interest, I preordered it looking to have it as my "secondary" fighting game (which btw, Ravidrath, good job on you guys for having unquestionably the best theme on PSN). Been having fun doing trials and just hitting training mode, also lots of reading on Skullheart. Basically, I was wrong about skullgirls.

I've decided to main Beowulf, I wasn't to interested in him when he was announced, but after trying him out, I really dig his move set and mechanics(Plus anyone with a BIONIC ARRRRMMMM!!! is good in my books). Which brings up my question, Beowulf's big problem looks like its getting in, and applying adequate pressure from a distance. He definitely seems like he needs a strong assist to really maximize his game plan. So I was wondering who do you guys feel would be a strong assist to help Beowulf break through the mid range to get on the opponent? I like Big Band and his rush punch assist, but with my limited knowledge of the game, I cant help but feel that I'm just missing some better options.
Cerebella H lock n load
Any horizontal assists really like Parasoul Napalm Shot, Peacock HP or M Bomb or M Item Drop, Double M or H Hornet Bomber, Fukua Shadow or fireball just to give ideas. Experiment! If you like Eliza, M Horus Dive is good/great choice.

ScOULaris

The ongoing support for Skullgirls is second-to-none in the genre, IMO. Great update, Lab Zero, and thank you for the very detailed patch notes.

Hope you add the high resolution sprites to a potential SG 2.
What resolution are they displaying at now? I know that they are hand-drawn and then scanned in, but they seem crystal clear to me in terms of resolution. The backgrounds do look a bit low-res at times, however. They have a more "digitally painted on a tablet" look when compared to the hand-drawn characters.

NEO0MJ

What resolution are they displaying at now? I know that they are hand-drawn and then scanned in, but they seem crystal clear to me in terms of resolution. The backgrounds do look a bit low-res at times, however. They have a more "digitally painted on a tablet" look when compared to the hand-drawn characters.

If I'm not mistaken the sprites themselves are 720p. According to Ravi the original sprites were drawn at around 4k res but they didn't want to add them even to the PC version.

ScOULaris

If I'm not mistaken the sprites themselves are 720p. According to Ravi the original sprites were drawn at around 4k res but they didn't want to add them even to the PC version.

Must be a memory limitation. With all of those frames of animation per character and up to six characters in any given match, 1080p+ sprites would take up a shit ton of memory. It would also significantly increase the filesize of the game.

But is it just me or are the backgrounds lower-res on the PC version than they are on PS4? The game just looks better on PS4 overall to my eyes for some reason.

Ravidrath

But is it just me or are the backgrounds lower-res on the PC version than they are on PS4? The game just looks better on PS4 overall to my eyes for some reason.

Literally the exact same data in both versions, so if there's any difference, it might be that PS4 has a better upscaler.

They're drawn at more like 1440p resolution.

But we did tests and determined that the differences aren't really noticeable with the higher res sprites, the performance hit is huge, and it greatly increases the size of the game.

Maybe we'll consider it in the future, but we like our games to run on as many PCs as possible and this would mean effectively doubling the testing to make sure we're not running out of memory, etc. All for something that's not even noticeable.

Top Bottom