• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Crocodile

Apparently, Hsien-ko is MikeZ's favorite Darkstalker and one of his favorite characters ever :)

Was going to pick this up, but the more I read, the more on the fence I am. No in-game move list is a big downer for me (yes I'm aware it's available online).

I've read a lot about how it's a fighting game for fighting game fans, and that's perfectly fine. I have enough trouble getting into fight games as is, so I'm not sure if this game would change my mind.

Considering nothing has changed for the worse concerning the game in the last 24 hours aside from learning about the movelists (which the developers talked about a few weeks ago and will patch into the game in the near future) I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion. Considering the input design and the tutorial system this should be more accessible than many fighters.

Holy shit :lol

o9aIF.png

Oh my goddddd. All the Alpha counter shenanigans change EVERYYYYYTHING. Holy shit, the potential team setups just went through the roof. Fuck the Marvel 2 setup of going antiair assists and good to go with alpha counters shit goes down.

Alpha Counters retain whatever properties the assist has regarding invincibility and such without the vulnerability period that assists have

You can air alpha counter.

Dash assist with alpha counter leads to instantly switching your character out into a situation where they can use any move at their disposal (invincible) or blocking, so you can say choose to alpha counter into your dash assist and cancel into your DP or cancel into your invincible super or do whatever the fuck you want. Sickk.

Hmm...

-Dash assists are freaking crazy. I never expected them to have that kind of use as alpha counters
-Air Alpha counters sound awesome
-Custom alpha counters is kick ass news. This game must've been made in the Marianas trench. It's too deep
-Being able to tech assist throws is good news
-I liked that 360 demonstration with the stick in front of the camera haha

This is surprisingly informative so far!
I FUCKING KNEW SOLAR WAS MIKE Z THIS ENTIRE TIME
I was just as surprised as you when I found out he liked Hsien-Ko so much.
I thought Solar didn't really care too much about Hsien-ko, though?
I don't care about that thing in UMvC3. The real Lei Lei in VSav is awesome though.

I love all of this stuff. So very much. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of watching this stream with a friend, and now he's scared himself away from the game. His last words were "when did fighting games stop being about hitting the other person until they fall down?" I'm really hoping that randoms will pick up the slack after the first week.

I don't care about that thing in UMvC3. The real Lei Lei in VSav is awesome though.

So different appearances count as separate characters now? Fuck it, Real Bout 2 Li Xiangfei is my muse.

Whoa, haven't seen you around for a while.

Will you be at some of the local tournaments coming up, like ReveLAtions?

I will be at Battle at the Capitol so hopefully Dacidbro can get a side tournament going for that in May, and I will try to hit up ReveLAtions.....I gotta hit up XsK Samurai and Cynistar to se if they would be down to make the trip to socal.

Tizoc

Good morning GAF, as of this post, it is 8:50 AM...Tuesday, where I live...
Please tell that #^@!#$%&*%^&Y@#$%&*($%^#ing @#$%$%&%*@#!!%&$%&, Grace Chen to update the PS Store early.
KTHXBYE <3UALL.

Skullgirls isn't about that?

He doesn't think so, apparently. He's weird, though, I've long accepted that. He's some type of hybrid between an OK player and a bad sport; he'll memorize long combos all day, but insist that fighting games should only have two buttons, hard punch and hard kick.

I definitely can't play it with him until he decides whether or not he'll actually accept the game's existence as a game - and I think it's a credit to the staff that he's eager to pick the game up for everything except the gameplay, since he doesn't do that often.

We went over this. MvC3 Hsien-ko is actually Mei-Ling in disguise the entire time. That's why she's so weak and you should only ever use the alt costume when picking her.

Everything makes so much sense now.

Too bad we'll never get a new version of Sasquatch.

6O7Jd.gif

shaowebb

Been thinking of who I'm going to partner with Peacock since I wanted to go with a 2 person team. 3 if I'm just feeling uncertain on a matchup may happen, but I think a dynamic duo would suit me best.I'm thinking of using Miss Fortune. I like the character a lot and the head mixups seem super fun. If this doesn't work then Valentine because I absolutely love how awesome her body bag into Izuna Drop looks. Nothing special. I just love the body bag moves and saw.

So hype...take my money Reverge Labs. If I won the lottery I'd fund your studio and Skullgirls and outsource you an animation studio to help your production times to give you more time to play with movesets. Game looks so perfect.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'll probably double dip and grab the "Master Race" port when they're done. I'm so glad he acknowledged the need to make it for pc users and not half ass it. Please be on STEAM.

Spruchy

Might buy this for both ps3 and xbox after this informative as hell stream. Mike Z and his team clearly cares about making a quality product and has put TONS of thought into every single nuance, meanwhile Capcom is seemingly living by the creed of shipping broken ass products.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Might buy this for both ps3 and xbox after this informative as hell stream. Mike Z and his team clearly cares about making a quality product and has put TONS of thought into every single nuance, meanwhile Capcom is seemingly living by the creed of shipping broken ass products.
An amusing distinction you make when both are selling technically incomplete games with plans of future DLC.

Almost as good as the OP explaining how this game has no "comeback mechanics" in the same sentence it mentions that the defender gains more meter than the attacker. If I'm not misreading that, anyway.

I'll probably double dip and grab the "Master Race" port when they're done. I'm so glad he acknowledged the need to make it for pc users and not half ass it. Please be on STEAM.
Yeah, I hope this news doesn't dissuade many people people from picking up a console version. Good sales early on will make it easier for them to get the money for a PC version, DLC characters and substantial patches.
An amusing distinction you make when both are selling technically incomplete games with plans of future DLC.

Almost as good as the OP explaining how this game has no "comeback mechanics" in the same sentence it mentions that the defender gains more meter than the attacker. If I'm not misreading that, anyway.
Not exactly 100% my opinion on the matter. It was originally a "more relaxed comeback mechanic", but folks felt differently so I cooperated. Eh, both games are complete to me so whatever. I'm not gonna get dragged into this.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Yeah, I hope this news doesn't dissuade many people people from picking up a console version. Good sales early on will make it easier for them to get the money for a PC version, DLC characters and substantial patches.

If I pick this up down the line, it'll be on PC. Not double dipping for the hopes of a good PC version. Deliver it or move out of the way.

Spruchy

Pretty sure they said the characters aren't completely finished, and my comment was about things that are broken/unaddressed in SFxT (no real button check at character select screen, inclusion of shortcuts after the outcry in SF4, among other things like a terrible timer, infinities, gem selection awful even post-patch).

Tizoc

Yo Ravi, I took a stab at trying to figure out what the Trophies mean and how to get them-
1- Happy Birthday
You got a present!
*Could be Peacock related? She has a special move wherein she throws random objects (think Lei-Lei/Hsein-ko's projectile attack in Darkstalkers/(U)MvC3) so maybe one of her throwable objects is birthday related?
**Or maybe the game keeps track of which character you use the most and when it's that's characters birthday you get the trophy? You can view character's birthdates in the official site:

2- World Warrior Princess
Wander the world... unintentionally.
*Prob. beat the game's arcade mode.

3- Call the Wardrobe Department
Make dozens of costume changes.
*Pretty sure you must play a match with each character's colors. Whether this'll pop up if you use training mode is to be seen.
...but to be safe, better do this in any mode but Training.

4- Breaking the Cycle
Retaliate against repetition.
*The game has a Burst system like in Guilty Gear/BlazBlue, so I believe performing one will net you this trophy.

5- Toil and Trouble
A sesquidecemvir of seven simulacra synergizing simultaneously.
*Looking up sesquidecemvir via a dictionary doesn't yield much, but it's apparently a combination of two words: sesqui & decemvir. I'm guessnig this is a Double related trophy since it says...seven smulacra synergizing. Maybe it's performing a combo while transforming into the 7 other characters?

6- Medical Board Will Be Notified
Your opponents aren’t the only ones under the knife.
*All I can guess about this trophy is that it is Valentine related...maybe you need to use her Lvl. 5 super in Tag team mode? Since her Lvl. 5 super ressurects a fallen character.

7- My Pain Will Be Visited Upon You
Sometimes you can take it, and sometimes you just want to lash out.
*Painwheel related, I don't know much outside of the basics about her moves sad to say.

8- Getting A Head In the Game
Sometimes you just need to relax and take the weight off your shoulders.
*Ms. Fortune related, maybe you need to do her head-off move 100 times or some such?

9- Good Hunting, Commander
A good commander knows how to wield her forces effectively.
*Parasoul related, prob. you must summon all her soldiers in one match?

10- The Kitchen Sink
Throw everything at them, including...
*Peacock related, I think it's self explanatory~

11- Real Circus Damage
And now, for the main attraction... Grappling!
*Cerebella related. Perhaps one needs to win a round or match using only her grab specials and super(s)?

12- Instant Hair Dash
Let your parasite feel the wind between his tendrils.
*Fillia related...I got nothin', maybe you need to get her winpose which has her hair pose much like Ryu's classic arm cross pose?

13- An Ensemble Cast
There may be no I in “team,” but there is in “variety.”
*Make every team combination possible when playing as Tag team. For 3-character teams there's around 21 combinations. For 2-character teams there're 28 combinations.
At least that's what I think =p

14- Prolix
Words are fun - expand your vocabulary.
*Prob. view every character's winquote?

15- Sküllgirls
Graduation day has arrived at last! Mrs. Victoria’s so proud of you.
*Pretty sure you gotta finish the Tutorial mode...which is very robust from what I hear.

16- Threads of Fate
Follow all threads of fate to their inevitable conclusions.
*I think this is gained by completing Story mode.

Crocodile

A) I don't think anyone is opposed to DLC as long as the content is worthwhile and reasonably priced. People are annoyed (not going to go into if it's right/wrong/etc. here) when significant content is complete in time with the shipment of the product but not included with said product to be sold later as piecemeal. There is no secret vault/server of characters already done waiting to be unleashed onto the world; they still gotta get made.

B) The attacker gains more meter than the defender in any normal situation. Once a combo gets to about 40 hits, the defender starts gaining meter faster than the attacker. I can't imagine except in the most impractical of scenarios (100+ hit combos?) that the defender would end up meter positive over the attacker.

alstein

There's a big distinction to many folks between held back content (disc-locked content) and content that hasn't been made yet (mini-expansions)

Also, that defender gaining more meter, that's for super-long combos. KOFXIII also uses meter as a comeback mechanic, and is much more blatant about it.

And yeah, the soundtrack is awesome.

I really think this game has the potential, if the gameplay holds up (always a big if with any fighter), to become a franchise like King of Fighters or Blazblue. The followups are going to be critical though.

Ravidrath

Tizoc, all the character-related trophies are things that should unlock after you play with that character for a while.

They're based on specific things the character does, but not just doing them once.

And all the trophies can be gotten in any non-training mode.

Tizoc

Tizoc, all the character-related trophies are things that should unlock after you play with that character for a while.

They're based on specific things the character does, but not just doing them once.

And all the trophies can be gotten in any non-training mode.

Aha thanks for clearing it up.

Sixfortyfive

There's a big distinction to many folks between held back content (disc-locked content) and content that hasn't been made yet (mini-expansions)
Oh, when I say "incomplete," I'm talking more about yet-to-be-implemented basic features (move list) and--correct me if I'm wrong about any of this; wouldn't want to spread misinformation--the lack of stuff that people absolutely rage about when Capcom omits it (3+ player lobbies, spectator mode, online training mode, etc.), no matter how pointless much of that stuff ultimately is.

Although this argument is kind of moot since the specific things Spruchy was complaining about are worth complaining about, imo.

I'm so tsundere about this game. ._.

Ravidrath

Oh, when I say "incomplete," I'm talking more about yet-to-be-implemented basic features (move list) and--correct me if I'm wrong about any of this; wouldn't want to spread misinformation--the lack of stuff that people absolutely rage about when Capcom omits it (3+ player lobbies, spectator mode, online training mode, etc.), no matter how pointless much of that stuff ultimately is.

Although this argument is kind of moot since the specific things Spruchy was complaining about are worth complaining about, imo.

I'm so tsundere about this game. ._.

Do you make no distinction between a $15 game and a $60 game?

Capcom has a significantly larger staff and vastly superior budgets. They probably spend more on promotional CG in a year than we spent on this entire game, and put less art and design effort into their characters than we did, yet it sounds like you want to hold us to the same standard.

Not to mention that we built this game from scratch, while Capcom has a completed engine they can just keep dumping content into and adding features to.

We focused on making the best game we could within our means. We did not have the option of quantity, so the team worked their asses off to deliver quality. As we see it, all those kinds of additional features are useless if your core game isn't good - quality really can't be patched in later, but quantity can.

Do we have every feature you could possibly want now? No. Can you have lots of fun now? Yes.

joe2187

Banned
Gotta question for ya ravi:

about reverge, are you guys primarily focusing on skullgirls in the future or will you guys be working on new IP's as well, I know it's early to be asking this but You guys are already one of my favorite new game designer.

Keep up the good work guys, I've been following this game from the shadows since forever.

Ravidrath

Gotta question for ya ravi:

about reverge, are you guys primarily focusing on skullgirls in the future or will you guys be working on new IP's as well, I know it's early to be asking this but You guys are already one of my favorite new game designer.

Keep up the good work guys, I've been following this game from the shadows since forever.

We have other projects we're pitching (including my game), but until one of those is signed, we're a Skullgirls-only studio.

Hopefully Skullgirls' hype and success gets some more interest from publishers to revive interest in our other projects.

Sixfortyfive

Do you make no distinction between a $15 game and a $60 game?
Actually, I don't. I buy maybe half a dozen games per year these days because my time is way more valuable than my money (despite wasting so much of it on GAF >_>), so this thing could be $10 or $100 and it wouldn't make a difference to me. I also value results waaaay more than effort or intention, because the latter doesn't at all make a difference to the end user experience when it comes down to it.

Please don't take that as a slight, as I expect this game to be good by that metric alone and I honestly do agree with almost all of your priorities. I'm just tired of the hype cycle and almost every facet of the stupid consumer/publisher arguments that crop up these days.

Top Bottom