• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Great inspiration for a blog post, this topic.

http://writergamerfighter.tumblr.co...-sexualisation-on-its-head-and-why-you-should

TL;DR: Women have boobs, artists can design characters however they like, you shouldn't care how other people dress but it's okay as long as you don't force other people to conform to your opinion.

On Liberty, bitches. Still awesomely relevant 153 years later. Screw you Marx, smell you later Rand.
i really think you're going overboard here. i don't recall seeing many posts trying to deny the rights of skullgirls to create whatever characters they like. in fact, there are many people who have posted that they will be willing to give the game a chance despite the art direction, myself included.

El Sloth

Banned
Am I the only one annoyed that the wiki uses the Skullgirls terms for DHC's, assists, fighting-game-jargon etc.? I get confused reading the thing sometimes. Although, it's really only a minor inconvenience.
I asked him about the soldier cancels a long time ago. The implications of RC style shenanigans would have made her the ultimate assist character. A part of me hopes that Mike Z goes ballistic with a PC version of Skullgirls if it happens.

-Variable crossfever mode ala DC Marvel vs Capcom 1
-Crazy assist system that allows jump normals/specials, multiple inputs and permits all charge moves
-Multi spectator lobbies like the sites that allow us to watch several streams at once. Multi fight lobbies as well.
-Toggle switch for unblockable protection

Just some stuff of the top of my head. That would be hilarious and crazy.
I wonder if those two could be done using mods if the they aren't in the PC version.

Ravidrath

Always wondered, which character has the highest number of animation frames?

Technically it's Ms. Fortune, because we has every frame twice with headed/headless versions. We didn't have time to implement her the "correct" way, which would've been to basically implement a system that would delta only the sectors that are headed/headless as needed.

In terms of actual art effort, it's Peacock. She's got like 1700 frames, including all of her friends, item drops, etc.

i don't recall seeing many posts trying to deny the rights of skullgirls to create whatever characters they like. in fact, there are many people who have posted that they will be willing to give the game a chance despite the art direction, myself included.

There are a lot of people that take this weird... marketing-y approach to the game? Where they're like "Why would you make a game that isn't perfectly marketed to me by putting elements in that I don't like!"

I generally feel that games are usually praised for taking creative risks and not being overtly marketable, whereas there are a lot of people that attack us for it.

Dachande

Technically it's Ms. Fortune, because we has every frame twice with headed/headless versions. We didn't have time to implement her the "correct" way, which would've been to basically implement a system that would delta only the sectors that are headed/headless as needed.

That's interesting. Did that cause problems when both players have large teams with all different characters, with only one being Ms. Fortune? Obviously it would've been solved before you guys shipped, so how did you manage to get around that? [/devnerd]

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I just realized, there's no way for a pad player to get a one-button dash and have a 3 person team right with out giving up an assist right?

Daimaou

I just realized, there's no way for a pad player to get a one-button dash and have a 3 person team right with out giving up an assist right?

Assists are done by crossing inputs (LP+MK or LK+MP for Assist 1, MP+HK or MK+HP for Assist 2 iirc) so you could do them that way if you really wanted one button dash.

Ravidrath

That's interesting. Did that cause problems when both players have large teams with all different characters, with only one being Ms. Fortune? Obviously it would've been solved before you guys shipped, so how did you manage to get around that? [/devnerd]

Before we started optimizing in earnest, we definitely had situations where you couldn't run 6 characters or certain character combos on some stages because we were running out of memory.

And we just did all the usual memory optimization things. Reduced the bit rate on some less-used sound effects, scrimped and saved on background textures where possible, remade the UI stuff to use smaller, mirrored elements, etc.

I mean, that is part of the reason why we don't have the command list in the game - our memory is basically completely full when you've got six characters right now. There should be some other optimizations we can do that will help reclaim some of that, but none are really low-hanging fruit.

Shoutouts to Ravidrath!!!!
Still salty about getting DQ'd at the SCR tourney. I was on my way to top 8!! :D

This game is amazing and everyone needs to pick it up.....

Ravidrath

Shoutouts to Ravidrath!!!!
Still salty about getting DQ'd at the SCR tourney. I was on my way to top 8!! :D

This game is amazing and everyone needs to pick it up.....

Whoa, haven't seen you around for a while.

Will you be at some of the local tournaments coming up, like ReveLAtions?

Whoa whoa whoa?

No movelist in game? WTF?!

Is this true? Is there a patch? What's the ETA?

I'm not sure how the game that's supposed to be a love letter to fighters made by fighters overlooked including a move list, if true.

FSLink

Banned
Man I can't wait for tomorrow. Fillia/Cerebella/Peacock day 1 team. :D

XBL: FSLink
PSN: amodestproposal
I'm in Texas.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah, it's going to be kind of a mess fitting everything I want onto a 6-face 2-shoulder scheme. Probably going to be rocking a solo or 2-char team for a while for this reason alone. Diagonal button combos are bleh on pad.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, it's going to be kind of a mess fitting everything I want onto a 6-face 2-shoulder scheme. Probably going to be rocking a solo or 2-char team for a while for this reason alone. Diagonal button combos are bleh on pad.

Oh no. I just realized how much of a problem this is going to be. Are there a lot of diagonal button inputs?

If no one minds colossal lag since I'm playing in Australia

XBL

WearYourHat

BB is pretty playable once it syncs up. Hopefully this is comparable

Rorshock520

Neo Member
Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;36799156 said:
Are the movelists up for download yet!?

Not yet. Until then, here is a simple version of the movelist with all of the characters. You can easily print it out and look at as you play, it fits on one page perfectly:

http://i.minus.com/iRF0i8CGlkcV8.png
(Credit to worldjem7 on SRK)

Want a more detailed movelist? Check the SRK wiki! The wiki has detailed (and I mean detailed) information on each of the character's moves (specials, supers, normals, etc). The SRK wiki is here:

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls#Cast
Simply click on the character you want to check out.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Was going to pick this up, but the more I read, the more on the fence I am. No in-game move list is a big downer for me (yes I'm aware it's available online).

I've read a lot about how it's a fighting game for fighting game fans, and that's perfectly fine. I have enough trouble getting into fight games as is, so I'm not sure if this game would change my mind.

Saw the video review on IGN. The animation is very impressive.

I notice that on the character select screen there is potential for more character slots. DLC would be good in this case.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Saw the video review on IGN. The animation is very impressive.

I notice that on the character select screen there is potential for more character slots. DLC would be good in this case.

I think there are potentially 8-16 dlc characters over the years if the game takes off. Ultimately an upper limit on the cast of 24 characters.

2 DLC characters are already in production.

Top Bottom