• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

joe2187

Banned
The Digital Art Compendium is now available for download on qualifying Humble Bundle claim pages!

02_msfortune_1p_zps373d1a15.png

Awesome thanks!

The images in the compendium are pretty large. I've been waiting a while for this and I'm not disappointed in the least. The scary thing is how it still has room to grow since Big Band, Eliza, Beowulf and Robo Fortune aren't done yet.

Kioshen

The Digital Art Compendium is now available for download on qualifying Humble Bundle claim pages!

I am so regretting not having access to it right now. I didn't have enough money during the IGG campaign but I have spare change now ... is there a possibility of buying access to the digital art compendium ?

NEO0MJ

The images in the compendium are pretty large. I've been waiting a while for this and I'm not disappointed in the least. The scary thing is how it still has room to grow since Big Band, Eliza, Beowulf and Robo Fortune aren't done yet.

Yeah, it's gonna be awesome when the rest of the characters arrive. I always wanted a clean version of this frame (It's all right to show, right Ravidrath?)

Wish I ordered it as a cell, but I didn't have the cash on me at the time.

Beats

I have to say that the recently implemented real time frame data display in this is definitely something that I've always wanted in training modes for fighters. I thought it was cool when NRS put the data in the movelists for Injustice and I was kind of hoping for the same thing to be brought over to Skullgirls, but this is even better.

Saikyo

Ravidrath I have a strange request, can you share a hi-res version of the "Skullgirls encore" logo? I havent found one yet...

CrossRhythm

Neo Member
I get that Matt and woolie are being ironic but I just don't think it's funny. Threatening to shoot and stab people because video games?

Yeah, it's gonna be awesome when the rest of the characters arrive. I always wanted a clean version of this frame (It's all right to show, right Ravidrath?)

Wish I ordered it as a cell, but I didn't have the cash on me at the time.
I checked the frame for Parasoul's level 3 and I see that there are no egrets with her. I would have been super disappointed by this during the IGG campaign haha. Valentine has some cool solo frames I would have used, though.
They're acting out what would happen if Lab Zero actually asked SG fans to take matters into their own hands.

joe2187

Banned

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I get that Matt and woolie are being ironic but I just don't think it's funny. Threatening to shoot and stab people because video games?

I think it means that they're probably going to be doing a couple videos on skullgirls.

Also, when Matt pulled down the mask I lost my shit. I want one of those masks.

Kioshen

Oh man why do combos always look easier in videos than when trying to pull them off in game. My hands hate me so much while trying to learn Mrs. Fortune. If somebody wants some easy wins add me on steam !

steam id : Kioshen

NEO0MJ

Oh man why do combos always look easier in videos than when trying to pull them off in game. My hands hate me so much while trying to learn Mrs. Fortune. If somebody wants some easy wins add me on steam !

steam id : Kioshen

I'll add you! Not sure how good our connection will be but it won't hurt to try.

Kioshen

My bad connection is legendary stuff, I blame all my loses to it xD.

Yeah I still have headaches from our matches lol.

@Beats

Pretty sure you don't need help on your combos but here's some nice ideas for midscreen burst baits. I noticed you didn't use them as much as you did when Squigs came out. Also, after I receive my new ssd I'll try to record my matches from now on if you don't mind since I've played the most against you at this moment. I won't stream them because I won't have enough up speed because lol qc interwebs but if you want i'll upload them to youtube afterwards.

Edit: I find it funny in a way that the old combo for Filia that I used from all the way back in SDE still works today in Encore. Okay the undizzy bar is maxed out but the resets are still available and all. I even get undizzy setups now out of it.

Unicorn

I bought this yesterday on Steam. Played very casually on console, but jumping back in to actually learn a character.

So far, Ms. Fortune seems really fun, what with her head being able to be a hit-adder, allowing for some seemingly freeform comboing. I'll probably skim through the thread to find advice (I see there's a Ms. Fortune video posted up above - excellent!)

Cheddahz

Banned
I recently bought this on Steam and wow, I sure do suck at it (I haven't put time into a fighter in ages)! I do think the game looks amazing though and it plays well too

Beats

@Beats
Pretty sure you don't need help on your combos but here's some nice ideas for midscreen burst baits. I noticed you didn't use them as much as you did when Squigs came out. Also, after I receive my new ssd I'll try to record my matches from now on if you don't mind since I've played the most against you at this moment. I won't stream them because I won't have enough up speed because lol qc interwebs but if you want i'll upload them to youtube afterwards.

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I don't mind if you record. I usually do anyway, but I forget sometimes. : p

joe2187

Banned
So I was doing a give away in the steam sale thread, had SG, Guacamelee and Dark souls. everything went great, had over 140 entrants for skullgirls nearly twice as much than the other two games.

The rest of the people redeem their games without a hitch.

except for the guy that wins Skullgirls. As soon as he made a post declaring he's won, he's immediately banned.

Skullgirls claims it's first victim on GAF.

The curse is real.

Ravidrath, what evil hath though wrought upon the world?

Kioshen

I bought this yesterday on Steam. Played very casually on console, but jumping back in to actually learn a character.

So far, Ms. Fortune seems really fun, what with her head being able to be a hit-adder, allowing for some seemingly freeform comboing. I'll probably skim through the thread to find advice (I see there's a Ms. Fortune video posted up above - excellent!)

Add me on steam so that we can
suffer
enjoy learning Mrs. Fortune together !

I recently bought this on Steam and wow, I sure do suck at it (I haven't put time into a fighter in ages)! I do think the game looks amazing though and it plays well too

Welcome and if you have questions ask away.

So I was doing a give away in the steam sale thread, had SG, Guacamelee and Dark souls. everything went great, had over 140 entrants for skullgirls nearly twice as much than the other two games.

except for the guy that wins Skullgirls. As soon as he made a post declaring he's won, he's immediately banned.

The curse is real.

At this point I can't help but laugh at the whole thing
:'(

-------------------

Excellent matches FT7 Taluda vs Dekillsage. Disgusting mix-ups in there damn. Starting to agree with Keninblack here that Cerecopter works beautifully with the cat. Might as well pick back the brawler again *sigh*.

The curse is real.

lol

Ravidrath

The curse is real.

So now Skullgirls is to blame for people being dicks on GAF?

Now I've heard it all.

joe2187

Banned
So now Skullgirls is to blame for people being dicks on GAF?

Now I've heard it all.

Admit it Ravi, the game is evil.

We know you made a deal with the devil to make a game that would have so many roadblocks against it, that it would one day destroy the world.

Hey fellas. I've been playing this game for a while, and I managed to finish the tutorial (the air combo one took me like 1 hour...), and I'm just doing Arcade/Story mode at the moment because, well, I suck huge amount of ass in every fighting game. This game is no different.

What are some tips to improve my game? Peacock and Filia are my favorites. But I know very few combos and just spam some moves. >_>

At least Skullgirls was one of the most downloaded games on JP PSN for the year iirc. That's pretty good if you ask me. I also have to assume that Marvelous AQL is happy with the PC sales these last couple of weeks.

The curse is real.

omg lol

At this point I'd be afraid to fund SG2 if I ever won the lottery. I may very well get struck by lightning. Eh, it can't be worse than playing 20 matches with Elda Taluda or Duckator.

Gbraga

What happened with this game? Now the green burst even catches my fucking bnbs.

So much for "We have an anti infinite tech but if you get creative you can make really long combos".

Yes I'm salty, fuck. Oh well, time to learn new shit because my simple ass shit doesn't work anymore.

FUCK DOGEYES

Kioshen

Hey fellas. I've been playing this game for a while, and I managed to finish the tutorial (the air combo one took me like 1 hour...), and I'm just doing Arcade/Story mode at the moment because, well, I suck huge amount of ass in every fighting game. This game is no different.

What are some tips to improve my game? Peacock and Filia are my favorites. But I know very few combos and just spam some moves. >_>

Late reply ho ! Since I didn't play against you it's a little hard to suggest stuff to get better at but here's some generic tips :

• The order I'd recommend for the characters you like would be Peacock on point with Filia at the back.
  • Try boxcar George as an assist pick for Peacock because it's fast and can keep up with Filia's shenanigans
  • For Filia, it depends on your approach. Try HK Hairball to help with keepaway or Updo for an invincible get off me assist.
  • As Peacock, try keeping a Shadow of Impending Doom on your opponent as much as possible to keep them on their toes
  • You can only have two George bombs out at all times but you don't have to do two qcf to call them out. You can say press qcf + MK, then right away HK to call two consecutive bombs
  • Don't be afraid to chip the other guy out. It's ok you don't have to show off combos to win.
  • Keep moving as much as you can to be harder to catch for your opponent. Cover your teleports with bombs if you can or with SoID
  • For a simple combo with Peacock just confirm with 2xLP, MP then if it hits continue with HK xx Argus Agony or if it's blocked just cancel with a LK bomb or a teleport (use sparingly)
  • Argus Agony is not safe if you use it in the corner on hit. Keep that in mind. Use the big ass George super instead and keep the opponent in the corner.
  • You can run away by using jump back HK canceled into a back airdash. The critter that will pop up during j.HK will hinder your opponent to follow your trail.
  • j.MK hits low on the ground
  • For Filia ... uh for now go nuts xD

Add me on steam if you want to play and get better tips if I can find something.

What happened with this game? Now the green burst even catches my fucking bnbs.

So much for "We have an anti infinite tech but if you get creative you can make really long combos".

Yes I'm salty, fuck. Oh well, time to learn new shit because my simple ass shit doesn't work anymore.

FUCK DOGEYES

Welcome to the brave new world of the Undizzy mechanic that has been implemented in SG to curb the prevalence of long dhc combos (among other things) that goes on forever. MikeZ wanted a reset focused FG at it's core so that's why he added a mechanic around the IPS. It's a compromise because the modifications he was supposed to do the IPS would have made you even more pissed but I disgress. So Undizzy and you (http://pastebin.com/TJNbpmkj) :

Undizzy is a mechanic that Mike Z implemented in the Squigly update of Skullgirls (MDE - Mildly Different Edition) that aims to stop overly long combos, while the existing Infinite Prevention System (IPS) aims to stop infinite combos. The green bar shows you how close you are to triggering undizzy, and once it is filled you cannot start a new combo chain or else you will trigger undizzy.

In MDE, the undizzy limit is 350 with undizzy building at stage 5. It decays from 350+ to 0 in 90-ish frames after an opponent enters a neutral state (not in hitstun or blockstun). In Encore, the limit is currently 240 and it starts building at stage 3. It decays from 240+ to 0 in 45 frames after blah blah blah. Undizzy resets after an opponent bursts or tech rolls, but it does not reset on a neutral wake-up, sliding knockdowns (hard knockdowns), or when a character dies.

As for how undizzy builds up, light attacks give 15 undizzy, mediums give 20, and heavies give 30. Special attacks give 20 just like mediums, no matter the strength of the special. In the Big Band Beta, counter hits give you negative undizzy. Lights give -25, mediums -50, heavies -100, and specials -50. What this means is that if you get a counter hit with a heavy, then you have basically 340 undizzy to work with as opposed to 240.

The Skullgirls community calls it undizzy, but it's not at all like Marvel 2 undizzy. It just gives you a burst like IPS.

For the problem that you expressed, what combo did the new mechanic destroy to pieces ?

Gbraga

Yeah, I get why they made the Green Burst in the first place, and I had no problems with it, but it's WAAAAAAY more strict now. My bnbs were made after the new burst was implemented, and yet they're not doable anymore. It's not even about not wanting to learn new combos, but I'm not a fancy player, my combos were already simple.

Yeah, I get why they made the Green Burst in the first place, and I had no problems with it, but it's WAAAAAAY more strict now. My bnbs were made after the new burst was implemented, and yet they're not doable anymore. It's not even about not wanting to learn new combos, but I'm not a fancy player, my combos were already simple.
I ran into this too. I feels like it hits mid tier or below Parasouls way more than some other characters. Oh well, there isn't much we can do about it. At least it's better than vanilla SG combos going on for days.

Kioshen

I think MikeZ reduced the max undizzy from 240 to 200 recently so that might explain why. He's touching a little too much the engine recently but I think he wants to put it where he wants it before the big console patch lands so that it settles down. I've watched a couple of upper tier match videos recently and they seem to be doing fine even with the new changes. Care to share a combo that breaks now ? Maybe have a look at various reset points you can use instead to stretching it as far as you can. Building a vicious loop is way more effective than building long combos especially with all the options you have available in SG.

Trying to be more active in Skullheart and I've stumbled upon this timely article from IsaVulpes (from as far as october but whatever ...). It won't ease the pain but maybe from a better worded post you'll have another perspective to look at.

Kioshen

Top Bottom