• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

notworksafe

Well, well, well... look who's come crawling back...

Welcome - good to see you've come around!

Yeah, yeah I've got that coming. After playing the demo for a bit I realized that solo/two player teams are better for how I'm looking to play the game.

Also there may have been some (just a tiny amount of course) alcohol impairing me from making a fully realized opinion when I played at EVO. :p

NEO0MJ

I thought it was said in one route,can't remember which, that was only because Marie's will was so strong that she could fight it? It didn't really seem to work that way with Paraoul's mom

Plus, you have the Trinity to answer to if you accept that power.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Yeah, yeah I've got that coming. After playing the demo for a bit I realized that solo/two player teams are better for how I'm looking to play the game.

Also there may have been some (just a tiny amount of course) alcohol impairing me from making a fully realized opinion when I played at EVO. :p

I want a negative posts recap! >:p

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The way I see it, Double's ending is the game's way of telling you that none of the endings were canon

Although, well
Did anybody get the impression that being the Skullgirl is not a bad deal at all? Marie still had her own motivations and logic, plus all the power. The Skullheart didnt make her evil in any way... so how is it any different than having Samson as a parasite? You get a free wish and be this powerful demigod, not a bad deal really

Peacock made mention that one day Marie would slip up, and be as evil as the rest of them were. You also have to deal with the Trinity...which is probably worse than the Skull Heart, going by what was presented.

I really want story additions. >.>

Degen

i surrendered too, man... i surrendered too

I played it at a local FGC meet-up and was blown away. Bought it as soon as I got home and played offline Versus with friends the next night for a looong time.

My main issue with the game was the art style, but the gameplay is so good that it doesn't even matter that much.

QisTopTier has this game, right? Haven't played online yet, but I know some command throws now so I'm pretty sure his ass is mine.

notworksafe

I want a negative posts recap! >:p

Well...

Has Skullgirls improved since EVO? When I played it there the game was intolerably slow, ugly, and had an awful control scheme.

Yeah I'm not an anime style fan. But I can get over that if a game is fun. In the end, graphics are far from the most important thing in most games.

Speed-wise I guess I was expecting Marvel style. I just think tag games should be fast paced. When I last played it, the game was paced much slower and more like SF style. Makes me think I'd prefer playing in 1v1 mode.

And by control stuff I meant having to press diagonal buttons for assists. I found that awkward.

EDIT: I should add that I'm not trying to be insulting. I do hope the game does well. Just trying to see what has changed since I last played it.

FWIW I was right on one point. 1v1 is much more fun (to me) than 3v3. Though I'm settling into a two character team and enjoying myself. A two character team helps with the assist buttons issues I had as well. Plus Peacock is just too hilarious and awesome.

The art still isn't really to my taste (and something about the animation seems...off) but the gameplay makes up for any issues I have with the look.

El Sloth

Banned
Played about six hours of versus last night with friends and I'm going to eat crow on this game. While I still found the animation to be a little odd, I really enjoyed playing it and will be putting more time into it tonight (and this weekend as I'm adding it to our weekly locals roster).

I spent most of my time playing solo characters last night. Messed around with everyone but found myself drawn to Peacock, Filia, and Fortune...though Fortune is a little too much work for me to really concentrate on right now.

My favorite character by far is Peacock but I was having trouble playing her solo so I started using her as anchor (H Shadow of Impending Doom assist) with Filia (H Updo assist) on point. It's an enjoyable team and I was doing well, but just curious what other suggestions everyone might have for a good partner for Peacock and what assists people are using.

She has hair car too! :D No Lust Shaker though. :(
Vex prevails.

Ravidrath

ARGH I need a goddamn 360 HDD before I can play, USB sticks can't cut it at all

Do other games run fine on USB? I've never heard of anyone doing that, and in most cases they are a lot slower than HDDs.

I guess other games don't stream data as constantly as we do, and Flash memory in general isn't really set up to do streaming.

Ravidrath

BTW, I asked our network guy about Steaks' ranking concerns, and he wrote a giant e-mail... which I'm going to adapt into a blog post since I think it will be interesting and informative for all.

Ties

Banned
Is there a tentative date for when Player Lobbies will be added?

I love Ranked and all but playing the same 4 people on rotation gets to you. @_@

Ravidrath

Is there a tentative date for when Player Lobbies will be added?

I love Ranked and all but playing the same 4 people on rotation gets to you. @_@

No idea - we're still trying to figure out what will be in the first patch, which will likely be hitting when the first DLC character is released.

We'd LOVE to get it into the first one, but we only have one network guy, and adding that stuff is not trivial.

Jintor

Do other games run fine on USB? I've never heard of anyone doing that, and in most cases they are a lot slower than HDDs.

I guess other games don't stream data as constantly as we do, and Flash memory in general isn't really set up to do streaming.

I'm actually using a USB HDD and load times were not optimal for most other games, but the Skullgirls demo has minute-long load times even for things like the tutorials. i haven't grabbed the full game yet since I don't have a proper HDD just yet. (the HDD i need is discontinued, and I can only grab it second-hand for nonsense prices)

El Sloth

Banned
Guys, remember to check out Spooky's stream on Saturdays for Savage Saturdays at Next Level which will have Skullgirls.

Although I think this Saturday Spooky will be at NYU streaming Spring Fighter.

Edit: Actually, Henry Cen might stream it while Spooky's away.

Edit2: Spooky just mentioned on the Big Two stream that Skullgirls had the most viewers during PowerUp. Around 6,000.

Ravi, any odds we'll see the Double logo on the Skullgirls Store anytime soon? Still waiting with cash in hand... she's in the Customize link but she doesn't have the same total spread of options the other characters do, including a large logo.

Steaks

BTW, I asked our network guy about Steaks' ranking concerns, and he wrote a giant e-mail... which I'm going to adapt into a blog post since I think it will be interesting and informative for all.

Yeah, if there's some odd stuff going in the background, I'd love to hear it. It's very bad from an observer standpoint when there's no explanations and I can't even see win rates of other people, which means I can't even discern what's going on by myself if there's something happening.

When you win and go down on the leaderboards, especially when you have something like a 95% winrate, it's kind of frustrating.

I appreciate hearing what's going on, when there's no information available, it looks REALLY really bad and makes me not want to play ranked. Especially when I consistently beat people in the top 30.

Steaks

On another note, I've figured out some sick Cerebella mixups but I need to test them against humans before I hit up next level on saturday. If someone wants to play on XBL in an hour or tomorrow morning, hit me up. East coast preferred.

Guys, remember to check out Spooky's stream on Saturdays for Savage Saturdays at Next Level which will have Skullgirls.

Although I think this Saturday Spooky will be at NYU streaming Spring Fighter.

Edit: Actually, Henry Cen might stream it while Spooky's away.

Edit2: Spooky just mentioned on the Big Two stream that Skullgirls had the most viewers during PowerUp. Around 6,000.

Wow, that's awesome.

Steaks

So after talking to a bunch of people who know a lot about fighting games and are pretty intelligent we all came to the conclusion that the game probably won't last that long, and almost all high level play will devolve into a really long 60%+ damage combo involving as many variations of a loop as possible with the first hit change into a reset -> 3 way mixup into the same combo or some slight deviation of this formula.

So basically this game is HnK and Marvel 2 as one game.

I don't think it'll be very healthy for the long term.

So after talking to a bunch of people who know a lot about fighting games and are pretty intelligent we all came to the conclusion that the game probably won't last that long, and almost all high level play will devolve into a really long 60%+ damage combo involving as many variations of a loop as possible with the first hit change into a reset -> 3 way mixup into the same combo or some slight deviation of this formula.

So basically this game is HnK and Marvel 2 as one game.

I don't think it'll be very healthy for the long term.

That comparison makes it sound awesome, TBH.

Steaks

That comparison makes it sound awesome, TBH.

Well, if you like that kind of game, yeah. The problem is a lot of those games come down to a very small amount of actual player interaction vs the length of the combos. Let's be real here: long combos are bad for game health. They're not fun to get hit by because they remove player interaction, long combos skew the tension curve of a match and ruin pacing, long combos are HARD, and when you need long combos to do better things, you retain less people. I don't think this game will last. Marvel 3 has better match pacing and I think that game is undeniably a thousand times worse than Skullgirls on so many levels.

This game has a lot of the worst parts of Marvel. I mean, Mike Z made the game he wanted, but I'd rather keep a lot of the decision making in Marvel without the bloated combo system.

IPS did nothing to fix stupid long combos. It's actually worse because it's far more complicated than fall out/dizzy and improves very little. I'd rather have Marvel's combo system. That probably sounds brutal to say, but I think after playing the game, IPS is pretty much the biggest load of bloated garbage the game pretended to offer. I like the game a lot on a fundamental level, there's lots of fun things and room to explore if the game can hold interest long enough without devolving into something bad because of a problem (people may have already discovered near inescapable uncombos in a week, BTW). But I think this game will not last.

I'm probably being pretty brutal, but from a design standpoint, there's a chunk of things I find problematic about the game. I feel good for supporting it and purchasing it. These are my feelings and I could totally be wrong here, for those who enjoy it, I'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun, but I think a lot of people will stop playing this game in less than a year.

El Sloth

Banned
I see where you're coming from, Steak, but I think we should, at the very least, give the game a month and see what direction high level play takes before declaring the thing dead in the water.

Steaks

I see where you're coming from, Steak, but I think we should, at the very least, give the game a month and see what direction high level play takes before declaring the thing dead in the water.

I'm stating that this is what I feel the game is going to turn into. It's impossible to predict with certainty. We should play the game and see what happens, it's ridiculous to just give up on a game without playing it because I think it's going to be bad. I'll stop playing it when it hits that point, and so should everyone else. If I'm wrong, that's good :)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I just think the conversation itself is premature this early in the game's lifespan.

Agreed. It's only been one week. People are posting jump in combos and corner combos like they're the most grand things ever. A lot of them have dumb requirements too.

I don't think long combos are bad, especially when they force you to remember all of the buttons you pressed. I think that sounds like more of a problem with this gen of fighters being lazy, then anything else (I got your point tho). Using Marvel as an example:

The fact that Dante works as hard as he does, and doesn't get the most damage out of it, because people bitched about the very same thing(long combos), is a crime. I guess that's another topic for another thread tho.

edit: Also, is that taking into account MikeZ patching things?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's annoying as hell. I decided to use that team since I needed someone to tide me over until Squigs, but the amount of people using those two is ridiculous.

Not that surprising. I decided I was going to main the two of them based on the whiteboard drawings alone, just because I'm shallow like that. Their popularity kind of makes me want to switch.

NEO0MJ

Not that surprising. I decided I was going to main the two of them based on the whiteboard drawings alone, just because I'm shallow like that. Their popularity kind of makes me want to switch.

No Painwheel or Ms.Fortune, please. Those are mine!

Anyways, what's the best place to look up functional combos? Dustloop?

I just got this and enjoying it thus far....basically just for local play and I went straight for Valentine cause, like above, im shallow. so i can def see her being overly used on-line if shes 1/2 decent (im not a tech-fighter so i dont really know the OP guys vs regular)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Valentine / Parasoul was a starting team for me (In opposite order), but now I've started to use Fortune / Parasoul / Cerebella.

I feel like I see a lot more IAD Filia's, personally... And runaway Peacocks of various support mixes.

I see such a small amount of 3 character teams... singles are much more popular than I'd have predicted (though I understand why), and 2 charas seems like the majority.

Definitely don't see much Painwheel at all, though. I find that kinda suprising, you'd think the most angry, rage-filled, violent-tempered character in the game would have more fans. With a side of MvC flight-cancelling to boot!

---

The only thing that really drew me to Valentine was the Instant Air backdash stuff (so KoF) and Mai-like folding fan-like projectile. Then the lvl 5 revival and Kasumi-like Counter DM... err... Blockbuster. Her normals also just seem to gel very well with what I wanted out the game. Ms. Fortune has kinda taken her place though... really like the sneaky detatched head traps and mechanics.

Really never intended to play Cerebella, but she answers my Clark/Maxima grappler desires... packed with all the grapples, but also with the versatility to work as straight rushdown bruisers when needed. That plus Excellabella is like one of my favorite things from SFxT Marduk... but with the ability to combo after it!

good lord everybody online is playing valentine/parasol

Yeah I can see the low cast count really could hurting this game long term, at least from a tourny / streaming perspective. For a strict 1vs1 fighter like SFIV this matters a bit less, you have a mirror match and 7 different matchups to learn with the Skullgirls cast of eight. And as long as your balance is pretty solid no one character should be too overwhelming online, especially if the top characters have weaknesses to one another (A beats B, B beats C, C beats A).

But with what I've seen so far the metagame for Skullgirls does seem rather MvCish in that there are going to be some very strong combinations of characters / assists that pretty much have to be countered with custom built teams that fight them well. Which is where the cast count becomes an issue. With team construction you need to fix X number of pieces together to create something special. MvC 2 had 56 characters with 3 assists each, leading to literally millions of possible combinations. Of all those combinations after years of play it shook out to about what, 10 teams being really tournament viable? With this type of game you need all those possible options to find ways to defeat some of the unbalanced teams that folks are going to discover and start to play continually online. Skullgirls does have custom assists and the ratio system so maybe that will allow enough flexibility. But I'd really not be shocked to start seeing tournaments that are like 75% whatever A team is, 20% B team which can stand against A team and 5% people who just like to be different.

All just theory fighter though, and rather less likely to be an issue online where people will more often play the characters that they like as opposed to "optimal" teams.

Deps

Valentine/Parasoul won powerup. I think at least until the next major with skullgirls, that team will be the most popular.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
If we have learned anything from fighting games is that a small cast wont matter because everybody plays the same 4 characters.

So just make sure your game has 4 characters, youll be fine.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If we have learned anything from fighting games is that a small cast wont matter because everybody plays the same 4 characters.

So just make sure your game has 4 characters, youll be fine.

I do find it funny. "This game has too few characters" "However, the majority of us only make use of 2 out of 8!"

You'd think having too few would mean that all characters would be used equally as much, as people wait for the ability to expand their options even more...

Raging Spaniard

I do find it funny. "This game has too few characters" "However, the majority of us only make use of 2 out of 8!"

You'd think having too few would mean that all characters would be used equally as much, as people wait for the ability to expand their options even more...

People just want the ability to scroll through 500 characters before they go back and pick Ken.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
People just want the ability to scroll through 500 characters before they go back and pick Ken.

Reminds me of Filia's "They look nice..." fight intro. A pointless little glance over things, only for everything to resume as always.

Most fighters online feel like they have the cast size of SFII after a days play...

V_Arnold

..so Valentine/Parasoul is a thing, huh?

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuse me, Princesses.... -.-

Valentine has the best body of all. Too bad that she is too popular, alright.
But I will NOT give up Parasoul, simply not. She is amazing. I do not care what she won (I have yet to watch any Skullgirls FG stream or championship recording...any!), I knew I will main her the moment I saw her outfit and movements. The moment. So.... deal with it :p

I guess it is time to find a replacement for Valentine. Actually, Cerebella looks fine for that role. She got the looks, she is a grappler (another new direction where I have never been before), so...

I love Double/Peacock as well, but they are so retarded together that I will refrain from using them out of clarity :p

El Sloth

Banned
Good lord. Double's butt slam assist is gonna force me to actually learn a combo instead of just flinging shit from the other side of the screen.

I just decided to finish story mode. Valentine and Painwheel have some sort of fucked up quasi-mother-daughter relationship, huh.

Also, I still can't hear/understand a single thing Double or Marie says in their intros.

Top Bottom