• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Item Box

Just started up the game and it says data is corrupted... what?

Still looking for anyone to fight against now/tonight though. My XBL tag's in the post on the first page.

I'm free right now if you want to play. Probably going to be laggy since I'm not in the UK

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Ah man, I wish my brain liked fighting games, Skullgirls is so beautiful. I want to buy it just to look at all the animations and backgrounds.

Item Box

Thanks for those games ZXSythe - the lag's getting a bit worse now, but some of those matches were close... ;)

Good games, although the lag wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been for a US-UK connection.

Time for me to go learn a decent peacock combo without dropping it.

remist

Finally getting around to playing this. I'm pretty terrible,
Went down to tier one pretty quickly.
but still having a lot of fun. If there are any other terrible scrubs new to fighting games on east coast psn I'd be up for games.

Roubjon

Hey guys. I just downloaded the demo for this and I spent probably around an hour and a half in training mode. Then I bought it. It's such a great game, and holy shit does it look amazing. The fluidity of the animation is fantastic and the characters really come to life. The soundtrack is great too.

So I'm up for some matches online on PSN. It would be a fun way to learn a character or two.

PSN: Roubjon

Beats

Hey guys. I just downloaded the demo for this and I spent probably around an hour and a half in training mode. Then I bought it. It's such a great game, and holy shit does it look amazing. The fluidity of the animation is fantastic and the characters really come to life. The soundtrack is great too.

So I'm up for some matches online on PSN. It would be a fun way to learn a character or two.

PSN: Roubjon

I'll play :). I'll add you to the PSN chat also.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'll be picking this game up sometime tomorrow as I really liked the demo. Can't believe it's only 15$ for such a quality game.

Roubjon

I just played a bunch of games with Beats and they were fun as hell. The online was really good from what I could tell. Hardly any lag on my end. I also got to try out Parasoul and Valentine for the first time and learned some basic stuff.

And again, it looks amazing. I'm loving it.

Tobe

somebody help me extend this corner combo with fillia im trying to do.

cr.lp, cr.lk, cr.mp, jump cancel instant air dash j.mp, s.lp, s.mp, s.hp, j.mk(2 hits), air dash, j.hk, OTG cr.lk, cr.hp xx qcf+lp, s.lk, s.mk, s.hp ?????????

im not sure what else to do. yeah you can do supers but i want to maximize the usage of normals. also its possible to hit the combo midscreen by adjusting some things, like changing the first s.mp to cr.mk.

Dartastic

Fight for the Future at ACE (Albuquerque Comic Expo). I know our head guy sent you (or Autumn Games I guess) a proposal earlier this week but haven't had time to talk to him about what's up.
Albuquerque? Hey! Fellow New Mexican! I live in Portland now (and have since 2006) but ya know... I grew up in Santa Fe, and went to UNM for my undergrad. 505 por vida. Send me your XBL name. We should battle sometime. =)
buuu psn.
Yeah, this.

Tizoc

Anyone got any tips to making this Cerebella combo better? I tend to go to an OTG after a launcher combo at the corner-
C. LK, C. MP, C. HP, Jumpcancel, LP, LK, MK, HP, HP, OTG C. LK, C. MP, S. HKxxDP+HPxxQCF+PP

Shaowebb gets a manly hug and all I get is a question mark?

Eh, there's characters I like in U3, just... not enough to play it, lol. Too many more foundationally solid games to focus on, to worry about Mahvell.
Well in Mahvel 2 I use Jugs+Magneto+Kobun. I never wanted to use Mags but I ended up liking him after messing with him a bit. Yes my team isn't the most viable but I try to make them work, plus Kobun is so adorable <3

Steaks

Anyone got any tips to making this Cerebella combo better? I tend to go to an OTG after a launcher combo at the corner-
C. LK, C. MP, C. HP, Jumpcancel, LP, LK, MK, HP, HP, OTG C. LK, C. MP, S. HKxxDP+HPxxQCF+PP

My general combo is anything xx c.MK, jMP, jMK, land, c.LP, c.MP, c.HP, sj, LPx5, land, LP, MP, 2HP, j.LK, j.HK, otg, c.LK, c.MP, c.HP. dp+throw. In corner you can throw in a chain into c.HP, jHp reland in there.

It does a lot of damage. Probably the easiest high damage combo I've found.

Tizoc

My general combo is anything xx c.MK, jMP, jMK, land, c.LP, c.MP, c.HP, sj, LPx5, land, LP, MP, 2HP, j.LK, j.HK, otg, c.LK, c.MP, c.HP. dp+throw. In corner you can throw in a chain into c.HP, jHp reland in there.

It does a lot of damage. Probably the easiest high damage combo I've found.

Thanks I'll try this combo out in training.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Shaowebb gets a manly hug and all I get is a question mark?

Well in Mahvel 2 I use Jugs+Magneto+Kobun. I never wanted to use Mags but I ended up liking him after messing with him a bit. Yes my team isn't the most viable but I try to make them work, plus Kobun is so adorable <3

Only so many manhugs a month! XD

But yeah, it's worth playing games if you can find characterw which make those worth it. Did that so long with SFIV, glad not to have to now, though:)

Btw, I'm glad IPS in Skullgirls kinda makes combos a bit more intuitive. As in, they give you a reason to explore moves, which makes you see all the different hit properties, and therefore, you think in the fly easier about "what hit should I use now?" rather than just getting stuck to the same 1 combo.

I still personally like KoF XIII's HD mode a bit more, in a way, because the meter dependency gives it more control and specialization, whereas SG's just means we're gonna see insanely long combos ALL THE TIME once people get REALLY good at the game, but that's not horrible, every game needs it's own style.

Will it be offputting to some? Sure! But should still have it's fans, of course.

alstein

This is the reason I decided to give up on the game right there. If it wasn't for that and KOF, I'd be playing this.

Doesn't mean I think the game is bad by any stretch- just not for me at all. I'm hoping if there is a Skullgirls 2 it will go in a different direction, or they make some non-fighters.

Oh, on that Skullgirls soundtrack- the second name listed is a longtime SNK fan- makes Fersis look like a young whippersnapper.

Deps

somebody help me extend this corner combo with fillia im trying to do.

cr.lp, cr.lk, cr.mp, jump cancel instant air dash j.mp, s.lp, s.mp, s.hp, j.mk(2 hits), air dash, j.hk, OTG cr.lk, cr.hp xx qcf+lp, s.lk, s.mk, s.hp ?????????

im not sure what else to do. yeah you can do supers but i want to maximize the usage of normals. also its possible to hit the combo midscreen by adjusting some things, like changing the first s.mp to cr.mk.

In the corner with Fillia you should do the ringlet spire/cr.hp loop. It works on everyone off a throw, and everyone but Double/Val normally. It's long, but the combo is pretty easy.

anything into S.HK, c.mp c.hp, dash s.mk c.hp lp drill, s.mp s.mk c.hp lp drill -> then do 3 loops starting with c.lk/s.lk/c.lp -> end with s.hp j.mk(1) airdash j.mp j.hp, s.lp s.mk s.hp, j.lp j.mp j.mk(2) airdash j.lk j.mk(2) hairball, super

loop is: s.mp s.mk c.hp lp drill

Folks on SRK are talking about the possible PC port of Skullgirls and I figured I'd just say my piece here.

No GFWL makes me a happy camper. Being available on all digital storefronts as a DRM free title or a steamworks game is fine with me. No GFWL makes me a very happy camper.
Only so many manhugs a month! XD

But yeah, it's worth playing games if you can find characterw which make those worth it. Did that so long with SFIV, glad not to have to now, though:)

Btw, I'm glad IPS in Skullgirls kinda makes combos a bit more intuitive. As in, they give you a reason to explore moves, which makes you see all the different hit properties, and therefore, you think in the fly easier about "what hit should I use now?" rather than just getting stuck to the same 1 combo.

I still personally like KoF XIII's HD mode a bit more, in a way, because the meter dependency gives it more control and specialization, whereas SG's just means we're gonna see insanely long combos ALL THE TIME once people get REALLY good at the game, but that's not horrible, every game needs it's own style.

Will it be offputting to some? Sure! But should still have it's fans, of course.
I didn't realize it until now, but that makes a lot of sense. I often find myself experimenting with moves I'd never try in UMvC3 simply because I already found a half decent combo and left it at that. I knew SG's combo system was open, but it's also crazy that the game kinda nudges you towards custom combos. I'll never be able to do 30+ hit combos consisting of normals and special moves so I'll have to learn some good resets and better defense.

This game could be nuts in another year or so after more DLC characters are announced.
Skullgirls OST - 28 tracks, $10, out April 24 via iTunes & Amazon MP3 (and I think a few other places too)

http://squareenixmusic.com/reviews/don/skullgirls.shtml
Damn, I expected like fifteen tracks at most. Definitely a good deal.
Anyone up for some matches? I'm practicing Parasoul as of now.
I saw this post, but I'm tired after going at BlazBlue for the first time in a couple of weeks. I spent forever and a half playing ranked matches so I could unlock the metric ton of art in the gallery. :p

Infinite

Anyone got a decent bnb for Filia? Need something I can use midscreen.

A lot of combos are character specific since hurt boxes are different between the cast. I found this combo pretty useful though

ADF j.lk, j.hk, 2lp, 2lk, 2mk, hp, slight delay j.mp(6hits), j.mk(2hits) ADF j.mp (6hits), j.hk, ( may or may not restand vs light), cr.lk, mk,, hp, j.lk, j.mp (6hits), j.mk(2hits),Hk Hairball land fenrir drive. Does 5101 damage.

ADF = Air Dash Forward
2 = Crouching

You can omit the super to save some meter and go for a reset by calling an assist or something especially when they're cornered. You can also do the lk hairball into metamorphosis super for the wall bounce and extend into fenrir drive after.

You gotta practice your combos against the whole cast so you can see what works on who and then make adjustments from there.

EDIT: Changed the combo up a bit.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I should use the hitbox viewer in training mode more often, because I most definitely didn't know you could hit someone with the Needle Reload...lol. Anti-aired my brother with it.

New Mission: Kill someone with the Needle Load. lol

Edit: Also, Valentine with 5 meters on a two man team is scary shit. Just lost a match thanks to me forgetting she could revive people.

notworksafe

Albuquerque? Hey! Fellow New Mexican! I live in Portland now (and have since 2006) but ya know... I grew up in Santa Fe, and went to UNM for my undergrad. 505 por vida. Send me your XBL name. We should battle sometime. =)
Nice! Glad to see another New Mexican! No XBL for me but I'm notworksafe on PSN if you can get games on there. :)

Not being able to do Parasoul's napalm loop makes me a sad panda.

Time to go back to playing like an idiot and having fun

Yeah I have issues with that as well, link combos bring back nightmares of trying to learn SSF4 Ibuki. USually I can get in 2-3 reps before dropping it inevitably.

Masaki_

Great seeing Spooky finally stream Skullgirls and really happy with the positive reception from everyone who played it and the stream monsters as well. And maybe now people will finally realize they need assists.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Great seeing Spooky finally stream Skullgirls and really happy with the positive reception from everyone who played it and the stream monsters as well. And maybe now people will finally realize they need assists.

the only assist i need is back forward kick.

notworksafe

So yeah..played some Peacock/Double online and wow people get really mad about that team. Sheesh. Also the online is pretty good. I'm impressed.

Now I have to learn to actually play Double and not just use her for assist spam. This chick is crazy!

Top Bottom