• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure |OT| This Is Not Your Father's Spyro

Dazzyman

Hi everyone.

I bought this for my wife for her birthday recently. For once in my life never heard of this but I was in hospital when it came out. Soon as I got her it she had quickly been bought 14 figures and 2 adventure packs.

I bought myself it last month but in hospital again so only started on it last night. Amazing game. I have been very lucky bought a lot at once cheap at 7 quid solos or 19 triple and had 16 up till last night. Bought another 6 today so we just need Clam shell between us for the full set :) As we now have all 4 adventure packs as well.

Just wanted to know regarding coop and how it works? We both have sys link next to each other but I know this is host and 2nd player one machine but I've heard conflicting reports that player 2 doesn't get the awards on the level for clearing in fastest time or treasures found etc, is this true? Same with gold how is that worked out.

Just before we start coop as both sat next to each other on a night on our screens playing hehe, newly weds and we both happy playing this.

We're already saving up for 2 copies of giants and talking about giving one the whole 32 chars to deregister etc.. Get 100% then same for other 1st Skylanders :)

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Hi everyone.

I bought this for my wife for her birthday recently. For once in my life never heard of this but I was in hospital when it came out. Soon as I got her it she had quickly been bought 14 figures and 2 adventure packs.

I bought myself it last month but in hospital again so only started on it last night. Amazing game. I have been very lucky bought a lot at once cheap at 7 quid solos or 19 triple and had 16 up till last night. Bought another 6 today so we just need Clam shell between us for the full set :) As we now have all 4 adventure packs as well.

Just wanted to know regarding coop and how it works? We both have sys link next to each other but I know this is host and 2nd player one machine but I've heard conflicting reports that player 2 doesn't get the awards on the level for clearing in fastest time or treasures found etc, is this true? Same with gold how is that worked out.

Just before we start coop as both sat next to each other on a night on our screens playing hehe, newly weds and we both happy playing this.

We're already saving up for 2 copies of giants and talking about giving one the whole 32 chars to deregister etc.. Get 100% then same for other 1st Skylanders :)

Hope everything is okay with you and your wife. Get better soon.

Cool story about getting into the game. I have met lots of friends locally, while standing at the Skylanders section of my local Toys R Us. One friend and I have even had a Skylander Tournament. I am hoping to have more in time.

Good to know you and your wife are enjoying the game. It truly is something special.

did anyone get skylanders in the mail lately. I got 2 today (wreckingball, dynamite guy) from that call in promo from a couple months ago. I really should have called in more than twice.

BooJoh

FYI: A new variant has popped up. Wal-Mart exclusive clear red Drill Sergeant.

uZCf1.jpg

RobbieNick

WARNADO! FUCKING FINALLY!

So, as I was picking up Lego Batman at Gamestop, on my way out, I glance at the Skylanders and there he was!! I've been wanting this character so badly for the past 9 months that it's been driving me insane! Thank God that's finally over with. They had Camo too but I didn't have enough cash on hand.

Also, I feel awful cuz I was at E3 as press and check out Skylanders Giants on Wednesday but no one told me they were giving away silver Spyro's that Thursday! ARRRRRRGH!

FYI: A new variant has popped up. Wal-Mart exclusive clear red Drill Sergeant.

My Toys R Us has purple Bash's.

Double D

Got a blue bash last night. TRU had a buttload of them. Kids will get a kick out of it I guess. Still need wham-shell. Really would be nice to be able to locate one.

I was worried with the release of Giants that my son would want every figure all over again. He turns six on Monday, but thankfully, even at that age he understands that there is no value in keeping any of his Series 1 figures that are getting a repose for Giants (having another identical toy, albeit reposed, seems pointless to him). So as soon as he's levelled them all up and we have a complete list of characters being reposed, I'll be selling all of the Series 1 versions and we'll put that money towards Series 2.

I'm glad the Series 1 figures won't retain anything in game that is unique to them. It certainly sounds like Series 2 is just Series 1 with a few added extras and nothing taken away, which makes parting with those figures so much easier.

Chuckie

I was worried with the release of Giants that my son would want every figure all over again. He turns six on Monday, but thankfully, even at that age he understands that there is no value in keeping any of his Series 1 figures that are getting a repose for Giants (having another identical toy, albeit reposed, seems pointless to him). So as soon as he's levelled them all up and we have a complete list of characters being reposed, I'll be selling all of the Series 1 versions and we'll put that money towards Series 2.

I'm glad the Series 1 figures won't retain anything in game that is unique to them. It certainly sounds like Series 2 is just Series 1 with a few added extras and nothing taken away, which makes parting with those figures so much easier.

Why not keep Series 1 and not buy Series 2 reposed ones? Wouldn't that be cheaper? Or will the Series 2 versions be 'better'?

Oh and to all you Portal Masters who finished this game...
How do I beat Kaos :( Is it even possible with 4 Skylanders? And if not...how will you ever get that Trophy?

Why not keep Series 1 and not buy Series 2 reposed ones? Wouldn't that be cheaper? Or will the Series 2 versions be 'better'?

Oh and to all you Portal Masters who finished this game...
How do I beat Kaos :( Is it even possible with 4 Skylanders? And if not...how will you ever get that Trophy?

I've heard of people doing it with just the characters from the starter pack. I know my son and I went through a few characters doing it, but can't remember how many we had at the time.

As for Series 1 vs Series 2, Series 2 have all the stuff Series 1 have plus some extras. Makes no sense to keep Series 1 unless you're a collector or have kids that will cry when you sell them. ;)

Machine

I saw the blue Bash yesterday at TRU while picking up Lego Batman 2. Passed on it. I don't want all the variants but I DO want the last few characters I don't have. I still haven't seen Camo, Wham-Shell or Warnado in the wild.

Chuckie

For those in the UK, I ordered the Camo, Ignitor, Warnado triple pack from Tesco this week expecting a 4-6 week wait, but it was dispatched yesterday. I must have got very lucky as it's out of stock now, but worth checking this link daily:

http://www.tescoentertainment.com/s...yros-adventure-triple-character-pack/8:943206

That one seems to be very wanted. I wanted it too, especially because it would mean three new elements for me (with totally awesome figurines!)
So far only one shop in Holland lists it, but doesn't sell it online... only in the shop (where they ofcourse don't actually have it)

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Another update. If there should be no more Skylander variants released, this should be my next to last update until the release of Giants, as I am still waiting for my Flocked Stump Smash to arrive. Enjoy.

Left side of my Skylanders shrine -

IMGP0177.jpg

Right side of my Skylanders shrine -

IMGP0181.jpg

Main Skylanders display -

IMGP0178.jpg

Here is a close-up of the sealed single packs -

P1010251.jpg

P1010252.jpg

Here is a close-up of the sealed triple packs -

P1010253.jpg

Here is a close-up of the sealed adventure and legendary triple/single packs -

P1010254.jpg

Here is a close-up of the silver, gold, glow-in-the-dark, and ice variants, on top of the Toy Fair 2012 Cynder and Hex (New York and Nuremberg), E3 2012 Chrome Spyro, as well as Toys R Us exclusive Blue Bash and Wal-Mart exclusive Red Drill Sergeant-

IMGP0173.jpg

Skylander merchandise and game display shelves -

P1010259.jpg

Here is a group shot of the character cards -

P1010159.jpg

Here are both sets of my personal Skylanders collection. One set is for the first upgrade path. The second set is for the second upgrade path -

P1010164.jpg

Here is a group shot of my kids' collections, as well as my own, together. Top-left is my daughters. Top-right is my sons. Bottom two sets are mine, and the 17 Skylanders at the very bottom, are my two year olds -

P1010189.jpg

Here is a pic of the extra sets of cards and stickers accumulated by buying multiple figures -

P1010163.jpg

Here are the Toy Fair 2012 - New York: Cynder, Toy Fair 2012 - Nuremberg: Hex, and E3 2012: Chrome Spyro -

IMGP0156.jpg

Here are the 3 silver Skylanders: Dino Rang, Boomer, and Eruptor -

P1300396.jpg

Here are the 3 gold Skylanders: Chop Chop, Flameslinger, and Drill Sergeant -

P2010423.jpg

Here are the 3 glow-in-the-dark Skylanders: Wrecking Ball, Warnado, and Zap -

P1010194.jpg

Here are the 3 ice Skylanders: Stealth Elf, Cynder, and Wham-Shell -

P1010261.jpg

Here are the Toys R Us and Wal-Mart exclusive Blue Bash (sapphire) and Red Drill Sergeant (Ruby) -

IMGP0168.jpg

Here is a group shot of the 3 silver, 3 gold, 3 glow-in-the-dark, and 3 ice Skylanders -

P1010268.jpg

Here are my "ONLY AT" exclusive Skylanders. These are actually different than the mass retail versions. Whirlwind has a solid white base, while Drill Sergeant has a deeper metallic red and glossy base -

P1010387.jpg

Here are the Volcanic Vaults I have accumulated from getting copies of the game or through various promotions -

P1230384.jpg

Strategy Guide -

IMGP0081.jpg

Here are three pics of ALL of the Skylanders toys and how they fit into three "Stanley Sortmaster Jr." cases. THIS is the best casing for Skylanders merchandise, as it can fit all 37 Skylanders, 8 magical items, and 4 expansion levels. Take note of how I place them, in order to place them in your Sortmaster Jr. cases, with little to no intrusion -

TOP CASE -

P1010162.jpg

MIDDLE CASE -

P1010160.jpg

BOTTOM CASE -

P1010161.jpg

Here is a shot of my Starter Packs -

P1230386.jpg

And to top it off, here is a cardboard poster the Gamestop manager at my local Gamestop gave me. I just don't know where to hand it yet, so at least I took a pic of it. This poster is quite big -

IMGP0157.jpg

Chuckie

Finally beat Kaos today :p Took me my third Skylander to finish him off. No idea how I am gonna beat his ass with just one. Gotta get all those trophies man :p

So question for you guys... are those adventure packs worth it? I need a rock skylander and am thinking of buying that pirate set.

BTW GameMaster78, you simply must be the guy with the biggest Skylander collection on earth haha.

Hale-XF11

Anyone play Dragon's Peak on the 3DS yet? If so, how is it? I haven't pursued getting it because I can't really afford it at the moment.

Finally found the camo, warnado, ignitor 3 pack, now im just missing whamshell. Im actually kinda bummed my skylander set is almost complete as since the game came out ive wandered into the skylander section looking for the ones needed to complete my set. I see you can preorder giant characters but im going to hold off so I can begin another skylander hunt later this fall :)

And wow gamemaster your collection is amazing, I havnt been in this thread in awhile, so it was nice seeing your still going at it. I bet your wallet is weeping knowing giants is coming out soon.

makaveli13

Neo Member
Hi all,
So most of the major toy companies in Australia are having sales on skylanders, picked up the 360 starter kit a few days ago for $48, I just wanted to check it out as it appeals to the big kid in me. Two days later I have the entire collection except the vault and all the specials. Also bought three of those stupid towers to keep them in.

It's been an expensive few days but I don't really regret it :D. Drobot is possibly my favorite gaming character this year :)

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Grats, Makaveli. I can't stress enough how addicting and fun this game is.

I've helped stores I don't work for, sell so many copies of this game, as well as my 47 year old neighbor across the street.

It's so easy to market to everyone, in all honesty. However, the hook is, most of us adults grew up in arcades. This game feels arcadey with a bit of depth to it, that most adults wouldn't have a hard time discovering should they look for it. The arcade feel, comes from the game, "Gauntlet." Sometimes when I'm low on health, I imagine the game about to tell me, "Spyro, needs food badly."

I think Toys for Bob should throw a nod to Gauntlet in Giants. Have Eon ramdonly say, "Player 1, badly needs food" - so not to infringe on any popular catchphrases - if the game is being played by 2 players. Otherwise, he could just say the Skylanders name during a single player session.

I don't know if TFB deliberately went with a Gauntlet feel for the game... or a Diablo lite. However, what I do feel from this game, is Gauntlet on steroids. That's not a bad thing what-so-ever.

I posted it elsewhere, but what the hey, you guys will probably like it too (but not as much as my belly did). Here's the cake I made for my son's 6th birthday:

exdmi.jpg

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Nice cake, Wes.

I will be taking down my last collection post, to post what MIGHT be the final collection post until Giants comes out (if there are no more variants).

I got my Flocked Stump Smash today. I also use a new camera. One that can fit my entire wall on the screen.

Here is a teaser -

DSC_0264.jpg

Been a while since I've checked out this thread as my 5 year-old daughter and I haven't played Skylanders in a few months. We're currently hooked on Minecraft and LEGO Batman 2. We just found Wham Shell, Lightning Rod and Zook last week and we just need to find Warnado and Camo in order to finish off our collection of regular ( ie- non-variant) figures. REALLY looking forward to Giants in the fall.

I just read all of the hullubaloo regarding GameMaster78 and the chrome Spyro. VERY happy to see that he ended up getting a couple of them out of this. If you don't know all of the tangible and intangible ways that he's promoted this game via his sheer enthusiasm for it, then his rant might seem uncalled for. But this guy's quite possibly THE most dedicated Skylanders fan in the world. He's got a frickin' WALL to prove it! And he doesn't just SAY that he's a big fan, he backs it up with his wallet - BIG time. If anyone deserved any kind of bonus swag, it's GameMaster78. He is, by no means, selfish with regards to collecting either. Both here and on the Dark Spyro forums (and who knows where else?) he has helped many people to acquire coveted figures. He's accumulated a ton of good karma with his actions over the past several months and it's great to see him cash in on it. Congratulations, buddy!

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Been a while since I've checked out this thread as my 5 year-old daughter and I haven't played Skylanders in a few months. We're currently hooked on Minecraft and LEGO Batman 2. We just found Wham Shell, Lightning Rod and Zook last week and we just need to find Warnado and Camo in order to finish off our collection of regular ( ie- non-variant) figures. REALLY looking forward to Giants in the fall.

I just read all of the hullubaloo regarding GameMaster78 and the chrome Spyro. VERY happy to see that he ended up getting a couple of them out of this. If you don't know all of the tangible and intangible ways that he's promoted this game via his sheer enthusiasm for it, then his rant might seem uncalled for. But this guy's quite possibly THE most dedicated Skylanders fan in the world. He's got a frickin' WALL to prove it! And he doesn't just SAY that he's a big fan, he backs it up with his wallet - BIG time. If anyone deserved any kind of bonus swag, it's GameMaster78. He is, by no means, selfish with regards to collecting either. Both here and on the Dark Spyro forums (and who knows where else?) he has helped many people to acquire coveted figures. He's accumulated a ton of good karma with his actions over the past several months and it's great to see him cash in on it. Congratulations, buddy!

Thanks, Peteza. I look at it as opinions. I did get a little bummed out about it, but it's just feelings. All worked out though, thanks to two kind people.

Thanks - also - for the compliments on the collection. I'm glad I was able to finally take a pic of the entire wall together.

One more thing before I go back to variants. I just took back a Camo and Warnado I bought for my son's friend, who couldn't afford them, just mere hours ago. Had I known you needed them, I would have shipped them to ya. I will keep an eye out. I will say I saw plenty of Camo/Warnado/Ignitor triple packs tonight.

It goes for anyone, though. I am always willing to help others. Let me know what you're needing, and I will keep an eye out.

Back to variants and who deserves them. I wish all who wanted the variants, could get them. Some of them are downright cool, and the more money that gets pumped into TFB's coffers, the better. They deserve that cash for their excellent show of imagination, and for making my favorite game of 2011.

It goes for anyone, though. I am always willing to help others. Let me know what you're needing, and I will keep an eye out.

Back to variants and who deserves them. I wish all who wanted the variants, could get them. Some of them are downright cool, and the more money that gets pumped into TFB's coffers, the better. They deserve that cash for their excellent show of imagination, and for making my favorite game of 2011.

At the moment it doesn't look like Sidekicks are coming to the UK, but I would love to get my hands on some. If you happen to get multiples (if you even collect them) my son would be over the moon to get some.

goldenpp72

Yeah I was going to try to find the sidekicks for my other half as a small part of an anniversary gift (in the US) but I can't find them on ebay, are they not out yet?

ElNino

So a local electronics store (Future Shop) is holding a Skylanders tournament this summer and I signed my son (who is five) up to take part. I'm not 100% on how it will be setup, but what I do know is that the participants are allowed to bring two Skylanders and they will compete in a best two out of three in Battle mode per round, and they are only allowed to use one Skylander per round.

We have had a few practice sessions going through the characters, but since not all of them are levelled up with upgrades yet it's not completely accurate. So far, he does well with Ghost Roaster using his skull head attack and has also had success with Drobot when he can stay away.

Has anyone here played enough Battle mode to get a feel for which characters are paticularly good in the versus modes?

GameMaster78

Neo Member
At the moment it doesn't look like Sidekicks are coming to the UK, but I would love to get my hands on some. If you happen to get multiples (if you even collect them) my son would be over the moon to get some.

Will do. I got ya covered. However, living in a smaller market, we may not see the promotion like we never saw the Flocked Stump Smash promo. I wouldn't have won one, if it weren't for the 800 number.

However, my eyes are peeled, and if I can grab a set for ya, I will get them to ya. :)

ElNino, if that tournament happens, I am willing to bet everyone will try and spam a Master Blaster Drobot. The only thing I've ever seen, that's capable of getting close to that Drobot, is Terrafin down the Sandhog path (burrow and go under lasers followed by a rising body slam), or Ghost Roaster down the Fear Eater path (Ectoplasm through the lasers followed by a Skull Charge).

I haven't seen many other Skylanders who can deal with that. However, in the event people don't spam Drobot, then I would still say those two Skylanders would be good in tournaments, as well as a Melon Master Camo.

The game has an added level of strategy that's hidden from those who like to button mash. However, if one plays with strategy, there is a lot of depth to Battle Mode.

ElNino

ElNino, if that tournament happens, I am willing to bet everyone will try and spam a Master Blaster Drobot. The only thing I've ever seen, that's capable of getting close to that Drobot, is Terrafin down the Sandhog path (burrow and go under lasers followed by a rising body slam), or Ghost Roaster down the Fear Eater path (Ectoplasm through the lasers followed by a Skull Charge).

I haven't seen many other Skylanders who can deal with that. However, in the event people don't spam Drobot, then I would still say those two Skylanders would be good in tournaments, as well as a Melon Master Camo.

The game has an added level of strategy that's hidden from those who like to button mash. However, if one plays with strategy, there is a lot of depth to Battle Mode.
Yeah, Drobot is one of my favorite characters so I thought of him right away. Only problem is whether my son can get good enough with Drobot to use him effectively; being five, he doesn't quite have the finger dexterity to consistently press two buttons at once (which you need to do with Drobot to be effective).

Camo is one of his newer characters, so I'll see how upgraded he is but I'd say we will 99% use Ghost Roaster as one of the characters but we are still deciding on the other.

Holy shit the unskippable dialogue boxes and cutscenes in the console version of the game are BRUTAL. I can't believe the developers thought that was acceptable. It's a shame because I'm enjoying the game otherwise. Please tell me they let up after a while.

So far I'd say the 3DS version is the best because it doesn't have any of that garbage.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Folks in the central states, you may wanna keep an eye out.

Crazy Skylander nut strikes again. I bought 9 bags, good - hopefully - for two sets of Sidekicks. The 9th bag, is just so I could have the outside packaging, decorated with Skylanders and the order form, which I will find spots for on my Skylanders wall.

Wes, next set of 4 bags I find, I have you in mind.

DSC_0324.jpg

Then could you tell me? ;) I think I tried every button to skip Kaos' dialogue and appearantly its not possible.
Oh sorry I had posted another question but I figured out the answer, no the dialogue is still unskippable at least the first time through a level. It's a real bummer. Really poor decision.

I also really don't like the time limits in the 3DS version. I dont mind that once you get a crystal the time limit kicks in; my problem is once you get all the crystals in the level, every time you go back in there's a very strict time limit from the beginning. That's no fun.

WatTsu

Crazy Skylander nut strikes again. I bought 9 bags, good - hopefully - for two sets of Sidekicks. The 9th bag, is just so I could have the outside packaging, decorated with Skylanders and the order form, which I will find spots for on my Skylanders wall.

DSC_0324.jpg

So where are you getting these at? I might have to go hit up the local whatever.

DSC_0324.jpg

Let me know if you have a choice of which Skylander or if it's going out in waves. I've read on Nintendo World Report that they were "releasing" a new Sidekick every two weeks but no one I talked to seems to know. :\

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Cheers! If they do a Skylanders Special Edition figure at Eurogamer Expo in London this year I've got your back.

Coolness. Someone locally, gave me a heads-up to where some more bags are. I will be going to check it out. Maybe I will mail you some chips with your Sidekicks - nom nom. :p

And, Eudaemonic, I will do even better. I will show you how the order forms look. This can also be for anyone who is curious as to how this will all play out when they find their bags.

Here is the front of the card, which is actual card stock, so I bought a 9th bag just to hang one of these on my wall, next to my sealed and opened Sidekicks, when I get them in -

DSC_0325.jpg

Now here is the back of the card, which gives a lot of information on how this promotion goes -

DSC_0326.jpg

I'm guessing they say they can't gaurentee which you will get, due to WHEN someone might actually find these. In other words, those who get in on the promo early, looking to get all 4, should get all 4. Then again, they could be taking into account that some might not even want all 4, thus stock of one will run out faster than the other.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just got Camo and Warnado on Amazon. I now have all 32 main Skylanders, this should make experience gaining much easier.

So... how important are the sidekicks?

Coolness. Someone locally, gave me a heads-up to where some more bags are. I will be going to check it out. Maybe I will mail you some chips with your Sidekicks - nom nom. :p

And, Eudaemonic, I will do even better. I will show you how the order forms look. This can also be for anyone who is curious as to how this will all play out when they find their bags.

Here is the front of the card, which is actual card stock, so I bought a 9th bag just to hang one of these on my wall, next to my sealed and opened Sidekicks, when I get them in -

Now here is the back of the card, which gives a lot of information on how this promotion goes -

I'm guessing they say they can't gaurentee which you will get, due to WHEN someone might actually find these. In other words, those who get in on the promo early, looking to get all 4, should get all 4. Then again, they could be taking into account that some might not even want all 4, thus stock of one will run out faster than the other.

Oh cool! Yeah, I should start scanning my local store then. Need to keep an eye out for some for my mom as well. Nice that you can just chose which one you want (although I can't see anyone not wanting all of them).

Prices seem pretty static for us in the UK. The standard price seems to be £9.99 for single packs and £19.99 for triple/adventure. That said, I notice Amazon have reduced some figures, while others are slightly higher than on the high street.

You need to shop around. Single figures can be had for as low as £5.99 and triples for as low as £17.99 (although only online).

Try play.com for starters

Gravijah

i was at wal mart and i noticed the drill arm guy in the single packs was clear, while it was colored in the 3 packs. is there a reason for that?

Top Bottom