• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: New Screenshots (Races)

mollipen

If you want to see exclusive new shouts, enemies, and dragon-on-dragon action from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, you must venture no further than back here to GTTV.

I won't accept Skyrim until they allow dragon-on-human action, and not just dragon-on-dragon action! I wish Bethesda would be a little more open-minded about the marriage options they allow.

(Seriously though, I would totally buy this game and marry a dragon if they allowed it, just for the awesome craziness of the idea.)

bengraven

Icefire1424 said:
Waaaaaaaaaaait a minute. COMPLETELY unrelated to Skyrim, but this picture just gave me a flashback to when I was about 10 years old. Wasn't there an animated TV show or something with this exact premise? I seem to recall having a bunch of Dinosaur toys as a kid where they all had guns and rocket launchers and stuff.

...or am I completely off my rocker, which is entirely a possibility.

Fuck yes, son. Dino-riders.

Under-rated.

Seanspeed

Banned
Icefire1424 said:
Waaaaaaaaaaait a minute. COMPLETELY unrelated to Skyrim, but this picture just gave me a flashback to when I was about 10 years old. Wasn't there an animated TV show or something with this exact premise? I seem to recall having a bunch of Dinosaur toys as a kid where they all had guns and rocket launchers and stuff.

...or am I completely off my rocker, which is entirely a possibility.
Somebody posted that same picture in another thread a while back and I had the exact same reaction as you. Brought back some fuzzy memories of playing with these dinosaur toys with crazy stuff on them but I didn't know if I was just crazy or what.

spirity

Lionel Horsepackage said:
Wow, fella...getting a little defensive, aren't we, here? LOL. What's your big dog in this hunt? Way to take a trifling little, offhand, took-two-seconds-to-type comment and build a whole Spanish Inquisition around it. (Over gaming mods? I mean...seriously.)

Jesus, chill out.

It's not just the modders themselves, but certain members of the PC Master Race (I'm a PC gamer, incidentally) who proclaim that Bethesda's games can "only" be played using mods, or whatever. Also, using "direct quotes"? I was paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it, to be sure -- that Todd Howard and his crew "should be fired," etc. Standard hardcore-gaming-nerd forum boilerplate. Head to most any modding forum, and you'll find comments similar to these.

Your first paragraph is a response I knew I'd get. I was only joking, chill out dude, omg wow, etc etc.

Mods are created for people who wish to use them. They're authored by people who want to provide an alternative experience, or an accompanying experience to the games Bethesda make. They would not exist without Bethesda's excellent tools. I don't know of a single author who thinks they are doing a better job than Bethesda, and most mod authors would laugh at that very notion. They don't earn a living from it but are commited, active in the community and very talented individuals who provide content for others for free.

Don't confuse mod authors with people who are vocal about the mods they've downloaded. If you've detected an arrogance about a certain mod author, its more likely to come from replying to the latest question outlined in a faq that was already answered 5 times on that page, and not from a belief they are gods gift to gaming. If you feel I've lost my shit with you, it's a response to the random shots you took at people that doesn't deserve it. Next time, aim down the sights.

MrBig

Yoshichan said:
This is what we should get in every collectors edition for that price.
Yeah. Retailers aren't allowed to sell promotional items like this either, so they will either be kept by employees, or kept by employees and sold for ridiculous prices in a few months.

Looks to just be molded plastic, not worth more than $50.

hemtae

It's not the moddability itself that I take issue with -- it's this idiotic notion that Bethesda's games are "unplayable" without them.

That's all I said.

I use mods, too -- many of them are wonderful, and add new layers to the gaming experience. It's the faulty syllogism behind that whole attitude that annoys me.

I still have a problem with this even if I don't believe it myself. Vanilla Oblivion had some pretty big problems that I could easily see it becoming "unplayable" for some and to a far lesser extent, Fallout 3.

Laekon

Oblivion was unplayable to me. The level scaling made the game frustrating and boring at the same time. There were ways to game the leveling system but doing that effected the regular game play. I never even bothered with trying mods since the game just didn't seem worth it. I loved Morrowind but never finished it. I also loved and finished both of the new Fallout games without mods.

Have they released PC specs for Skyrim yet? I'm wondering if my C2D E6600 2.4ghz/460 GTX system can live a little longer. It's did fine with Deus Ex HR. Might be time to try over clocking it.

spirity

I didn't mind the scaling in Oblivion. I did enjoy it more though when I started adding mods that changed certain aspects of the game. Bethesda gave people the tools to change (or fix, if you like - doesn't really matter) the game to your taste. What you change is your choice. Anything from tweaking the encumberance, all the way up to total conversions like Nehrim. People can do this because Bethesda have allowed them to do so.

Ultimately, use mods or don't. Nobody's wrong in choosing one or the other.

Yoshichan said:
This is what we should get in every collectors edition for that price.
yhp2vicki.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Even with Batman and Uncharted dropping between now and Skyrim... 11.11.11 seems so far away.

:(

MrBig

Skyrim's physical offerings look really nice. One of the best game packaging designs I've seen in a long while. Same style as the UI. I like.

For a game coming out in one month, they haven't shown much footage at all. It's kind of preferable to Oblivion, where they blitzed us with a huge amount of video (which was fucking awesome, but a little beyond what they delivered), but I still wish I could see something more.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i find it almost unbelievable that people can play these games without mods. Especially Oblivion. The gameplay is so busted that vanilla gets boring an hour or two when i remember that there is no sense of danger, tension, risk, or reward regardless of where i go.

Gravijah

oblivion is basically broken vanilla, but that has more to do with the leveling system, imo. i can't enjoy it because i find myself constantly trying to get "the perfect level up."

Effect

This is crazy. I don't know when it fully happen but lately I've been looking forward to this game. I kept thinking of Skyrim early on with just Oblivion in mind and how I couldn't get into it as much as I tried. I should have been factoring in the work they did in Fallout 3 (which I loved) and how much better that game felt to me when it came to simply playing it. How much better the menu, etc were as well. Since I'm sort of done with FPS until prices drop and my interest really peaks again on those (kinda FPSed out at the moment) that leaves a huge opening in games to pick up in the coming months. So between Zelda: Skyward Sword, Star Wars: The Old Republic (finally started paying more attention to that as well) and now Skyrim it looks like I'm going to be on fantasy/adventure/RPG overload for the foreseeable future. Yikes. The last time RPGs and adventure games were the primary games I played and were seriously looking forward to was during high school. Feels good. :)

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Gravijah said:
oblivion is basically broken vanilla, but that has more to do with the leveling system, imo. i can't enjoy it because i find myself constantly trying to get "the perfect level up."
No way. Its the scaling system thats implemented that makes the game worthless. There is no reward because there is no risk.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
water_wendi said:
No way. Its the scaling system thats implemented that makes the game worthless. There is no reward because there is no risk.

And no reward because there is no point. "Why go into that cave. It's going to have the same shit I have on, the same enemies that I'm fighting now, and it'll look like the first three I just finished."

Playing without OOO is just so painful.

Marco1

water_wendi said:
i find it almost unbelievable that people can play these games without mods. Especially Oblivion. The gameplay is so busted that vanilla gets boring an hour or two when i remember that there is no sense of danger, tension, risk, or reward regardless of where i go.
Some of us have a wife, kids and a career that won't allow us the time and patience to sit and wade through mods and problems associated with them.
And I know what I am talking about when I can say that I enjoyed fallout:NV on xbox 360 more than PC even though I own a GTX580 gaming PC.
I know it gets brought up a lot but the comfy couch gaming suits me perfectly even if I have to forgo the luxury that mods and 1080p can give me.

Gravijah

water_wendi said:

i can deal with the scaling system, as much as it annoys me, because it doesn't completely stop me from playing. with the level system, i just sit in a cave fighting mud crabs, grinding skills for hours on end.

WanderingWind

Marco1 said:
Some of us have a wife, kids and a career that won't allow us the time and patience to sit and wade through mods and problems associated with them.
And I know what I am talking about when I can say that I enjoyed fallout:NV on xbox 360 more than PC even though I own a GTX580 gaming PC.
I know it gets brought up a lot but the comfy couch gaming suits me perfectly even if I have to forgo the luxury that mods and 1080p can give me.

Wow. Did you do this one on purpose? This is like the condensed version of every post in a console vs. PC shit thread.

Gravijah said:

Yeah, the leveling system (mixed with the scaling) is what generally holds me back from playing it again. I feel like if I'm not getting 3 5Xs every time I level up I'm doing it wrong and I'm going to get left behind by the enemies. And it's a fucking pain to get those 5Xs after awhile. Glad this shit is at least mostly fixed for Skyrim.

Marco1

WanderingWind said:
Wow. Did you do this one on purpose? This is like the condensed version of every post in a console vs. PC shit thread.
Apologies but I mean no offense, I accept that the mods can bring a lot to the game and its atmosphere but personally for me, the console version until I have more time on my hands will always win.
If the game has a bug or shit system then I move on to the next game with no love lost.
There's plenty of great games out there.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Marco1 said:
Good for you. i work 10 hours a day in a furniture store so the last thing i want to do when i come home is sit on a couch.

Marco1

water_wendi said:
Good for you. i work 10 hours a day in a furniture store so the last thing i want to do when i come home is sit on a couch.
No problem, I am sure skyrim will be a great game for whatever platform it's purchased for.
Also I don't work at a desk looking at a monitor all day, I work on a building site.

spirity

Marco1 said:

You could mod Oblivion in less than an hour with the biggest and most comprehensive mod available. Considering the length of Oblivion, that hour is a mere tick of the clock.

Not trying to persuade you into modding, I'm just saying. It really doesn't get time consuming until you're running lots of mods together.

Nocebo

I've never felt that non-modded Oblivion was ever unplayable -- we're spoiled, as a culture. Here, Bethesda designs this gorgeous game-world for us to sandbox in, and we bitch and complain that "it's not gonna be pretty until it's modded," or that the majority of the official quests aren't viable.
I don't think I ever said "it's not gonna be pretty until it's modded" but as far as I'm concerned Oblivion absolutely needed mods. The leveled loot and enemies were ridiculously stupid. Couldn't stand the leveling system either. I was enjoying Oblivion at first of course but after a couple of hours I felt restricted by some of the core mechanics and exploration was not fun at all.

Concept17

Marco1 said:

I sort of feel the same in this regard, and I primarily play on PC. I'll be getting the PS3 version because its easier for me to play console games during the day, and not worry about how much time I've spent on the computer. Wife sometimes likes to sit and watch as well. (depending on the game)

Also, by the time any worthwhile mods come out, which I would imagine would be a year or so down the road, I'll probably re-buy on PC during a steam sale or what not.

WanderingWind

Marco1 said:
Apologies but I mean no offense, I accept that the mods can bring a lot to the game and its atmosphere but personally for me, the console version until I have more time on my hands will always win.
If the game has a bug or shit system then I move on to the next game with no love lost.
There's plenty of great games out there.

Yeah, no doubt. However, I have a 60 hour a week job, a wife and can still find time to figure out basic mods. I mean OOO fixes every complaint about Oblivion and is as easy as downloading a file, unzipping it and checking a box on the first startup.

Plus, get an HDMI cable and your comfy couch WILL be attached to your computer. Best of all worlds.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My work is scattered and I'm single.

I like mods.

foreveralone.jpg

Gravijah

people care about different things in life. he doesn't care about mods, maybe he doesn't care to hook his computer up to his tv. people value different stuff.

EatChildren said:
My work is scattered and I'm single.

I like mods.

foreveralone.jpg

you can come dual with me.

Top Bottom