• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: New Screenshots (Races)

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Gravijah said:
people care about different things in life. he doesn't care about mods, maybe he doesn't care to hook his computer up to his tv. people value different stuff.

you can come dual with me.

Not a single person here asked for a sensible reply. What are you trying to do, stir up trouble?

Derrick01

Banned
Marco1 said:
Some of us have a wife, kids and a career that won't allow us the time and patience to sit and wade through mods and problems associated with them.
And I know what I am talking about when I can say that I enjoyed fallout:NV on xbox 360 more than PC even though I own a GTX580 gaming PC.
I know it gets brought up a lot but the comfy couch gaming suits me perfectly even if I have to forgo the luxury that mods and 1080p can give me.

So you never ever have time to yourself? That excuse is tiring. You must have some time available otherwise you wouldn't be looking to get into a 100 hour game. It takes 30 minutes at most to get the setup for modding and finding a couple of small mods.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Derrick01 said:
So you never ever have time to yourself? That excuse is tiring. You must have some time available otherwise you wouldn't be looking to get into a 100 hour game. It takes 30 minutes at most to get the setup for modding and finding a couple of small mods.
The question remains why you or anyone else gives a shit how he plays his games.

bengraven

water_wendi said:
i find it almost unbelievable that people can play these games without mods. Especially Oblivion. The gameplay is so busted that vanilla gets boring an hour or two when i remember that there is no sense of danger, tension, risk, or reward regardless of where i go.

I have been a gamer for nearly 30 years and have played hundreds of RPGs on PC. And I love mods - each of my TES games has about 5-10 gigs if not more, of mods. Hell Fallout3 had almost 20gig of mods.

I will say that I have never modded an Elder Scrolls game to fix the balancing issue. I honestly do NOT find it that busted or maybe I just don't care that much because I'm having fun.

It's not because I'm an apologist or not paying attention, I just play these games at such a slow pace that I don't even notice the scaling.

Edit: once. Once I noticed that the scrub female orc that I'm supposed to help fight the black arrow folks was wearing full elvish armor one time I played and just light leather the next.

That's it.

Lakitu said:

pMun8.gif

Ponti

I'll be there day one modding away like a loony (release the CS on the same day as the game Beth!).

Still play Oblivion, modded. Would I still be playing it if I had it on a console? Ha, no. All the evidence I need to decide my purchase.

Loxley said:
Wait, there's a Limited Edition? As in separate
and cheaper
from the $150 Collector's Edition? Please say it's so.

*Edit - fuck it's only for Aussies >:[

I wish we were getting something like that here. I always get their collector's editions, but I can't justify paying $150 for Skyrim's.

Derrick01

Banned
Emerson said:
The question remains why you or anyone else gives a shit how he plays his games.

It's more the excuses and fallacies console oriented gamers always give. And the whole

complain about having no time or patience to mod

play 100 hour game.

Sounds like a new meme in the making. I just don't know what picture to put it with.

Seanspeed

Banned
Gravijah said:
oblivion is basically broken vanilla, but that has more to do with the leveling system, imo. i can't enjoy it because i find myself constantly trying to get "the perfect level up."
Which was fun for me to a degree. Lets face it, lots of RPG games are all full of 'filler' crap that acts as crack for us gamers. I did not mind sitting there walking down a road behind a guard on a horse sneaking while casting spells in order to gain my bonuses. The atmosphere in the game was captivating enough to where I still enjoyed what I was doing and I've never minded a bit of grinding.

Not that I prefer that system, but it wasn't something that made the game unplayable for me. For others, it was that big of a deal and thats understandable as well. Everybody has their own tastes and standards obviously. Although I will say that some PC gamers seem to have such high standards that it borders on elitism and these people become so cynical over anything less than perfect that it makes me cringe at how much it must suck to have that point of view. Believe it or not, I probably enjoy my gaming just as much as these guys, if not more because I'm not constantly trying to nitpick every little flaw and can just enjoy the overall experience.

Derrick01 said:
It's more the excuses and fallacies console oriented gamers always give. And the whole

complain about having no time or patience to mod

play 100 hour game.
Maybe some of us would prefer to actually use our time to GAME rather than play with files on the computer?

Marco1 said:
Apologies but I mean no offense, I accept that the mods can bring a lot to the game and its atmosphere but personally for me, the console version until I have more time on my hands will always win.
If the game has a bug or shit system then I move on to the next game with no love lost.
There's plenty of great games out there.

Whats funny is Obsidian hired one of the best modders for oblivion to work on New Vegas (oscuro), and hardcore mode, iron sights, and weapon mods were all user mods for Fallout 3 that were in the retail game of new vegas.

and Todd Howard said they changed the ways Bows work for Skyrim due to a mod of Oblivion and how much better it made them.

Vanilla Bethesda games were all pretty awesome when they came out if you ask me but they're even better a while after when mods come out and keep the game fresh and improved. It helps a lot because they come out every 3-4 years so the mods help pass the time.

Loxley

MiDNiGHTS said:
Vanilla Bethesda games were all pretty awesome when they came out if you ask me but they're even better a while after when mods come out and keep the game fresh and improved. It helps a lot because they come out every 3-4 years so the mods help pass the time.

I agree, while Bethesda's games have become notorious for being buggy when released, they're far from unplayable messes (I blame Obsidian for New Vegas :p). Even then, once they're patched, the vanilla product is excellent. Although reading some of the hyperbolic statements in this thread you could be forgiven for thinking Bethesda releases the Alpha code to the masses and just says "Good fucking luck, thanks for your money asshats XOXOX <3 Beth."

Durante

Morrowind and Fallout 3 are fine games in vanilla, and though there are tons of mods that vastly improve the games they're far from essential.

But in the case of Oblivion, multiple core RPG gameplay systems are incredibly broken out of the box. The main issues are character progression, which is broken by a counter-intuitive levelling system that punishes natural play, and exploration/immersion/world cohesion, which is broken by loot and enemy scaling. Personally, because of these issues, I just couldn't get much enjoyment out of Oblivion in its vanilla state even though I'm an old-school TES fan.

Marco1

It's a shame that some have taken offense to my statement about playing this without mods on a console.
I also enjoyed oblivion on xbox360 when it was released and I'll admit that I didn't notice one bug due to the amazement that game brought me, I suppose I just wasn't looking for them.
I also played new vegas with the high def texture packs and nevada skies. I also enjoyed it but not as much as on the xbox360. Also that bloody stutter bug annoyed the shit out of me, 60FPS meant nothing with that bug there.
I just don't like gaming at a chair and desk looking at a monitor. I prefer on my couch with a joypad, I suppose as I got older I now enjoy the switch on and game attitude that consoles brought to me.
Anyway I can't wait for skyrim and xbox360.

I've modded the shit out of Fallout 3 and NV, Empire and Shogun 2 Total War, GTA 4 and a few others. However I only do that once I've played through the vanilla game at least once. Usually you have to wait a while for any decent mods to come out. Then you have to see if they work okay without crashing the game. And then you'll need to probably re-install them once the game gets patched, as it inevitably will. So rather than wait I'll at least play the game. And I still want to experience the game in its vanilla flavour.
But I love mods. Let's you make the game you want. I think ALL games should be mod friendly!

Reuenthal

Banned
Since we are talking about mods, what I am most anticipating in that front is dragon related mods. Just imagine a mod that has you ride the dragons in Skyrim and travel that way by flying. I do hope we see some great dragon related mods.

Checking out the (semi-official) map, and my hype just went up a notch. I just want to get lost in that world. Kill a bunch of dragons, marry some Nordic woman and hunt Mammoths.

INTO MY VEINS.

hemtae

Slackbladder said:
I've modded the shit out of Fallout 3 and NV, Empire and Shogun 2 Total War, GTA 4 and a few others. However I only do that once I've played through the vanilla game at least once. Usually you have to wait a while for any decent mods to come out. Then you have to see if they work okay without crashing the game. And then you'll need to probably re-install them once the game gets patched, as it inevitably will. So rather than wait I'll at least play the game. And I still want to experience the game in its vanilla flavour.
But I love mods. Let's you make the game you want. I think ALL games should be mod friendly!

Dude, we are totally best friends. And don't worry if you already have a best friend, I went through the liberty of telling him/her that you slept with his/her significant other/sibling/dog because that's what best friends do!

Lakitu

st5fu
Map seems infinitely more interesting than Oblivion, just the fact that it has 9 different regions in the game makes it even more exciting.

I'm going to explore the hell out of that map. Will be even nicer without constant Oblivion gates popping up everywhere.

Someone played the demo on the Bethesda boards and was saying there's a lot more to do underwater now. They found a sunken ship full of treasure.

Edit: Also like all the roads leading into other provinces. I wonder how they're going to approach that? Will it be blocked off or will it be an invisible wall I wonder?

Gravijah

Blue Ninja said:
Checking out the (semi-official) map, and my hype just went up a notch. I just want to get lost in that world. Kill a bunch of dragons, marry some Nordic woman and hunt Mammoths.

INTO MY VEINS.

man, i smiled. gonna be so good.

Fjordson

Map looks awesome. I can't believe we're so close to November 11th...

Also, was watching the 3 part demo Bethesda put out on YouTube last month. Man, I forgot about that giant Spider. My crippling fear of insects is going to make it difficult to get through that dungeon.

Marco1 said:
It's a shame that some have taken offense to my statement about playing this without mods on a console.
I also enjoyed oblivion on xbox360 when it was released and I'll admit that I didn't notice one bug due to the amazement that game brought me, I suppose I just wasn't looking for them.
It's really not a big deal. If Todd Howard is to be believed regarding the audience of his own games, then most people play these without mods.

Just seeing all those tiny islands in the lakes near Riften, Windhelm and Morthal makes me all excited about what stuff could've been hidden there.

hemtae

Fjordson said:
It's really not a big deal. If Todd Howard is to be believed regarding the audience of his own games, then most people play these without mods.

Well that's because most of his audience is on consoles. If there was an opportunity to mod the game, I believe that most of the console audience would mod the game.

Fjordson

hemtae said:
Well that's because most of his audience is on consoles. If there was an opportunity to mod the game, I believe that most of the console audience would mod the game.
Oh, certainly. I don't think anyone is against more options. I just think a lot of people out there are mostly apathetic and happen to enjoy them out of the box.

Anyways, looking at the map, I just realized that I'm actually glad Bethesda has only been showing one general area and dungeon. Soo much in the world totally unseen.

I think I might walk in the complete opposite direction of Riverwood when I start simply because I've seen it so much at this point :lol

Edit: is Falkreath Hold where you start the game?

exYle

Blue Ninja said:

INTO MY VEINS.
I thought they said that there was something like only five huge cities in Skyrim, and then a collection of tiny towns for the rest?

I have this badboy preordered but I havent decided if I will play it day 1.
Bethesda games usually run awful at launch, full of game breaking bugs and other problems.
I might be better off waiting a lil bit before jumping on skyrim.

exYle said:
I thought they said that there was something like only five huge cities in Skyrim, and then a collection of tiny towns for the rest?
There are. As far as I know, Morthal isn't actually a major city. Towns like Winter Hold (etc.) are more than just tiny villages, though.

Fjordson

Blue Ninja, do you know if Falkreath Hold is where you start out in the game? Bethesda's probably talked about this before but I can't remember.

Fjordson said:
Blue Ninja, do you know if Falkreath Hold is where you start out in the game? Bethesda's probably talked about this before but I can't remember.
Looks like it, yeah, though the main quest will probably direct you to Whiterun Hold afterwards.

Derrick01

Banned
bizatch said:
What happens in Skyrim if you go past the border? What happened in Oblivion?

In Oblivion you had to play Marco Polo with the mountains and unless you had a mod, you eventually can't get by.

I thought I read that there is modeled land to the east of Oblivion's area, but there's no enemies, towns, npcs etc. Someone with a flying mod flew to it.

Lakitu

st5fu
Heh, had some fun yesterday in Anvil on Oblivion. Got frustrated because some guy wasn't showing up for a quest. So I decided to use Withering Bolt on a bunch of NPCs. Then the whole of Anvil just turned into a warzone. I was having a melee with 10 or so guards whilst others got involved, some angry woman was joining in with fisticuffs while some guys helped me (whom I presume were on my side due to some faction).

One of them was a mage who kept on summoning his zombie and I was constantly summoning Frost and Storm Atronarchs, Wraiths, Skeleton Champions and Dremora. By the end of it there have must have been 20 or 30 dead guards and my bounty was the highest it's ever been. I was the last one standing. I used acrobatics to make try and jump my way out of the city. It's amazing, considering the game is 5 years old and still to this day provides me with such amusement.

Simo

Autumn Thread said:
The media embargo ends Monday in the US, right?

Time to get my hype on.

Yeah, Pete Hines mentioned on twitter a whole slew of new previews and screens will debut tomorrow.

I'm rewatching GI's Art of Skyrim feature....I can't wait to get my hands on that art book.

Dmax3901

Been playing through Oblivion again recently. Currently doing the quest where you have to follow people for Glarthir.

The first woman Benise or something, you follow from her house to the chapel, where she sits for a bit. Then you follow her through Skingrad to the plantation outside the gates, where she pulls out a hoe and gets to work.

I was just standing by the fence there, watching Benise and some other dude working away, with the huge walls of the city just beyond. Five years later and this game still makes me go 'whoa'.

I was excited for Skyrim before this recent playthrough of Oblivion... Now it's just unbearable.

Simo

Spain has a preorder bonus where you receive a 5 track OST. I'd take that over the map, since I'm getting it anyway with the CE.

jgminto

Tricky I Shadow said:
Yup. And it wasn't shown but you get the cloth map with it too:

http://content.ebgames.com.au/website/images/detail/152697_detail_v2.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It should also be mentioned that this edition just replaces the Standard edition at no extra cost.

Top Bottom