• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim VR on PS4 drops November 17th

golfham

I tried playing this for a few minutes and the graphics and controls were so bad. The controls are some of the worst I’ve ever seen—I wish I can just use standard DS4 controllers.

What a freaking disappointment

I was pretty pumped about this and what I'm reading is pretty disappointing lol

The motion controls have two major issues.

1) No good movement solution - You're either pointing and teleporting, which sucks in a big expansive game like this one, or you can use the left wand and the move button to move in whatever direction you want smoothly (including backwards), but this means that the left hand is basically useless for doing anything while moving like casting a spell, holding a bow, or hoisting a shield. Neither option is ideal, so you either play like this or end up using the DS4.

2) Something weird is up with the shield controls. There are two shield motion control options: The first has you hold the wand upright, like you were gripping the handle on a real shield, and the second has you point the wand forward, which makes more sense if you are using the left wand to move like I was detailing above. Here is the issue: There is a button that readies or puts away your weapon and shield so you can see what you are doing outside of combat. For whatever reason, when I have a shield equipped but not readied, pointing the left stick down even slightly while holding down the Move button to move results in my weapon and shield auto-equipping. This doesn't happen with bows or magic. Most people I've seen who are sticking with the motion controls (which it must be said are very neat for interacting with the environment) are sticking to bows or dual-wielding weapons or magic.

Sony desperately needed an analog stick on these Move controllers.

As a sneaky-archer (among the most popular ES builds), I am also running into another bug with the motion controls once I added the perk to zoom/slow time with the block button. This action uses stamina, but I've noticed that the stamina will often continue to drain after I've loosed my arrow until I am totally out. Then I have no stamina at all until I fix this, usually but not always by firing a second arrow in tandem with the block button. It's like the stamina drain gets stuck. I've had to quit and restart to fix this as well.

Grinchy

Banned
If you're someone who develops a strong opinion about something in 14 seconds, you're going to hate the Move controls.

fvng

This will be my first time playing Skyrim. I skipped it on release because I wasn't gonna play that buggy ass PS3 version

RavageX

I wish there were kill moves in the game still, especially for stealth kills.

How do vamp bites look?

Wolf eating animations?

Anyone got tips on how to aim spells? I can't seem to land anything when I fire from my hand unless they're right in front of me!

Green Yoshi

Play with move. The experience is night and day with move.

I hate the Move controls. Really a bad first impression. I had to use the DS4 for the charackter creation, but not all buttons are supported when Move controls are enabled.

BUT with DS4 only and smooth camera movement it plays really nice and it is as good as Resident Evil 7 in terms of controls.

gmoran

I hate the Move controls. Really a bad first impression. I had to use the DS4 for the charackter creation, but not all buttons are supported when Move controls are enabled.

BUT with DS4 only and smooth camera movement it plays really nice and it is as good as Resident Evil 7 in terms of controls.

Agree DS4 is implemented really well.

I'm sticking with DS4 for the mo while I'm doing all of that inventory, smithing, enchanting guff to get my character, armour and weapons to that pinnacle of light-armour-sword-spell I did the last time I played it. Then I'm going to switch to Moves and just destroy everyone and everything. Can't wait.

I tried playing this for a few minutes and the graphics and controls were so bad. The controls are some of the worst I’ve ever seen—I wish I can just use standard DS4 controllers.

What a freaking disappointment

Dude, stick with it. I thought the same and once I figured out how it worked it's seriously one of the best VR control schemes i've seen so far.

And i know, cause I've been a long time Rift user (since the DK2 days), I have a roomscale setup and cockpit I built for sims. I impulse bought PSVR for Skyrim and I am honestly impressed with the whole thing.

Figure out the controls, and I promise you next-level gaming. I'm obsessed.

fvng

Dude, stick with it. I thought the same and once I figured out how it worked it's seriously one of the best VR control schemes i've seen so far.

And i know, cause I've been a long time Rift user (since the DK2 days), I have a roomscale setup and cockpit I built for sims. I impulse bought PSVR for Skyrim and I am honestly impressed with the whole thing.

Posts like his remind me why I need to take amazon reviews with a grain of salt, with blatant falsehoods being stated

Tumle

Posts like his remind me why I need to take amazon reviews with a grain of salt, with blatant falsehoods being stated
Huh? Did you quote the right post?
Because I’ll second his response as a Vive and PSVR owner:)

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
How is the game guys? I have a PSVR and the kids love it and I enjoy myself, although I use my Rift more than anything.

Does the controller scheme work well? I don’t like teleportation stuff. However, it looks good from what I’ve seen.

Can someone give me kind of a deep dive? My kids are 16, 19, and 22. My oldest son has his own Rift but he enjoys Skyrim.

Is it something you can play for a few a day or do you need to play small amounts at a time? Thanks in advance, folks.

BANGS

Banned
This is honestly such a horrible game to make a VR version for. Even when playing normal versions, the game is full of all kinds of glitches that break immersion. I can't imagine how silly it would feel playing it in VR...

That said I did just kill Krosis today my god I hate that guy...

How is the game guys? I have a PSVR and the kids love it and I enjoy myself, although I use my Rift more than anything.

Does the controller scheme work well? I don’t like teleportation stuff. However, it looks good from what I’ve seen.

Can someone give me kind of a deep dive? My kids are 16, 19, and 22. My oldest son has his own Rift but he enjoys Skyrim.

Is it something you can play for a few a day or do you need to play small amounts at a time? Thanks in advance, folks.

Locomotion works well with the DS4 with varying comfort settings (I personally have them all turned off) in terms of length of play, that comes down to the individual, but I've managed 4 hour sessions with ease and the only issue being discomfort from my headphones.

RavageX

Well a complaint I have is that running full speed as a werewolf looks completely dumb. I dunno about anyone else, but the hands just sorta...flop around.

Not very becoming for a werewolf.

This is honestly such a horrible game to make a VR version for. Even when playing normal versions, the game is full of all kinds of glitches that break immersion. I can't imagine how silly it would feel playing it in VR...

That said I did just kill Krosis today my god I hate that guy...

Don't bother to read the thread or anything. Thanks for stopping by...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I'm sure they'd go nuts for it and I don't even own a headset. I bought Skyrim on launch day. The wait in line was two blocks. Apparently these things are selling out. Someone from work bought one for her son. She kept going on about how they sold out everywhere.

Pejo

Well a complaint I have is that running full speed as a werewolf looks completely dumb. I dunno about anyone else, but the hands just sorta...flop around.

Not very becoming for a werewolf.

Agreed, you can tell they didn't spend much time on making werewolf mode fun. It's not been as good for me lately anyways since you can't go 3rd person and the VR version doesn't have those animated critical attacks. I've been thinking about going Vampire anyways since I never played either of the DLC yet. Shame though, werewolf was a ton of fun for me in my first playthrough of Vanilla. It's still great when you're in a bandit hideout to just tear through everyone though and eat their hearts, lol.

RavageX

Agreed, you can tell they didn't spend much time on making werewolf mode fun. It's not been as good for me lately anyways since you can't go 3rd person and the VR version doesn't have those animated critical attacks. I've been thinking about going Vampire anyways since I never played either of the DLC yet. Shame though, werewolf was a ton of fun for me in my first playthrough of Vanilla. It's still great when you're in a bandit hideout to just tear through everyone though and eat their hearts, lol.

I hope they(but we know Bethesda)make a patch tweaking a few things like this. I do miss seeing criticals too.

Does the controller scheme work well? I don't like teleportation stuff. However, it looks good from what I've seen.

The controls work great. The game environments look great (a little blurry and shimmery but hey, it's VR), especially indoors. Seeing everything in it's massive scale is incredibly impressive and immersive. I highly recommend getting it.

You can play for hours on end or as long as you'd like.

Pejo

Controller scheme isn't very intuitive at first, but once you get used to it, it's very good. I use standard locomotion, I hated the teleportation movement method. Last Saturday I had a nearly 6 hour long session with no issues. Only stopped because I got hungry lol. This is the most I've played a game in forever, and it's amazing.

golfham

I stuck with it, turns out my camera wasn’t properly positioned hence the bad experience. I’ve been playing with the move controllers and I’ve had a really good time. I might get a PS4 Pro if it improves the graphics a bit.

Aztorian

Controller scheme isn't very intuitive at first, but once you get used to it, it's very good. I use standard locomotion, I hated the teleportation movement method. Last Saturday I had a nearly 6 hour long session with no issues. Only stopped because I got hungry lol. This is the most I've played a game in forever, and it's amazing.

A few hours more in and you would've eaten a steak in the game thinking that would fix the hunger. Imagine technology reaching this level. I am excited and scared right now.

Top Bottom