• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
That wasn't what you said. You said modders make more than the developers. The devs get 50% of the mod purchase, the modder gets 25%.

Also, Midas magic sat unupdated forever until paid mods became possible, then he immediately comes back, updates it, puts it up for sale, and puts ads into the free version.

:l o fucking l

cVtoTn8.png

RIP modding

SMH.

This is why I think picking Skyrim first for this wasn't a good idea, with mods that were previously free to now not. Midas magic is also very expensive for a mod, so I'd see this as the wrong way to monetize mods overall. S/He got too greedy and probably will be burned for it.

This is that other side of the coin I mentioned. Sure, modders CAN release it for free, but there are 2 things against them-
1. Someone else may upload their content and claim it as their own. Like we saw before Valve put it on lockdown, was hundreds of hundreds of mods being put up on the store, some that required the use of other paid mods, some that were just jokes(Horse nuts, looking at you), but knowing Valve's track record with how they handle user submitted content....if Greenlight is any indication, the 'policing', the QA testing, the actual barrier to allowing mods get into steamworks will be nonexistent. Enough shit gets put on the store through Greenlight, and Valve doesn't look like they're going to enforce any quality control on this.

2.Like I mentioned before, Passion project mods will still exist for free. But for everyone else, like the Midas Magic mod...you're going to get people trying to gouge others for their mods. Can they do it? Definitely. But it's just going to create even more pirates, more people who download mods the old fashioned way. How will they justify it to themselves? 'Well these mods used to be free. Well, the owner isn't making the majority of the money I would be giving them. Well...'.

I mean....there is no upside to this except for Valve/Bethesda.

VariantX

I just don't understand of all the games to pick, you pick skyrim for this type of program. The problem isn't so much picking skyrim, its that you're picking skyrim after years of people modding it like crazy and building their mods off of other peoples mods and such. Had this been there at the launch of the game there would have been no where near this level of drama and stuff going on. Do this shit at the start of ES6 or Fallout 4, so all mod developers can at least be on the same page here and build and structure their mods accordingly.

That wasn't what you said. You said modders make more than the developers. The devs get 50% of the mod purchase, the modder gets 25%.

Also, Midas magic sat unupdated forever until paid mods became possible, then he immediately comes back, updates it, puts it up for sale, and puts ads into the free version.

cVtoTn8.png

RIP modding

Not like this.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
RIP Modding indeed.

Bethesda and Valve have single handedly ruined one of the best parts of PC gaming culture with one move.

ASTROID2

I remember a time when everyone was happy in modding Skyrim. This whole thing has done nothing but create problems from where there were none before. Everyone was happy Valve, why change it.

Etnos

Banned
I remember a time when everyone was happy in modding Skyrim. This whole thing has done nothing but create problems from where there were none before. Everyone was happy Valve, why change it.

I remember that time as well, it was like 2 days ago.

Money B·$che$

RK9039

Oh man. That's amazing. Can we make a mod where it takes 24 realtime hours to refill your stamina bar unless you pay money? I feel like that's something Skyrim also needs now.

All of your damage has been reduced by 75% unless you pay The Greybeards 100 Septims every 24 in-game hours. No refunds, only Sweetrolls.

Joyful

Dark day for PC Gaming

Im gonna blame Bethesda though as Valve is most likely just giving into their demands and obviously as serving content requires servers/bandwidth they deserve a cut.Bethesda making money off mods that improve their game however is ridiculous if you think about it.

Why would they bother putting in effort on the next ES game when they can just get a cut from modders hard work fixing their notorious jank

Dark day for PC Gaming

Im gonna blame Bethesda though as Valve is most likely just giving into their demands and obviously as serving content requires servers/bandwidth they deserve a cut.Bethesda making money off mods that improve their game however is ridiculous if you think about it.

Why would they bother putting in effort on the next ES game when they can just get a cut from modders hard work fixing their notorious jank

Yeah, you know the idea that Bethesda could make money off something like SkyUI is ridiculous. They should pay them a truckload for fixing their shit like that.

Making money off a skin someone made, yeah sure whatever.

kingkitty

cVtoTn8.png

RIP modding

we are in the darkest timeline

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Dark day for PC Gaming

It's great you are putting your blinders on to only blame one party, but all evidence so far points to Valve having heavy responsibility in this debacle. Don't let some fanboy attachment blind you from the truth.

I would like to know which party approached the other one first with the idea.

OatmealMu

Mobile tactics in Skyrim. Goddamn.

What the author seems to be forgetting is that the people who spend their time modding Skyrim are a might bit different than those who game on their phone once in a blue moon. The tolerance levels for this kind of shit is very different. Then again, if they only came back once they could earn some scratch their motivations are plain to see. The greed is real.

I don't think I "trust" mods enough to ever pay for one unless it has a ton of positive feedback. This is an area where people do a lot of experimentation mainly because it's free. If that experimentation now has money on the line a lot of people will just stick to free mods. I think it will be very interesting to see who can actually get away with charging and who will have to go back to free or pay-what-you-want in the long-run.

This. I don't trust mods enough to pay for them, I rather have lower quality free mods that I can un-install without feeling like I wasted money.

Almighty

Because the argument seems to be most based on "Don't overreact guys free mods will still be there and awesome." and in my opinion at least pop messages asking you for money in a game like Skyrim not so awesome. And yes I know slippery slop, doom and gloom, and all that, but in this particular case it doesn't seem to be a huge stretch to believe this will catch on enough for it to be annoying.

Aselith

It was 72 hours ago.

It was an abandoned mod 72 hours ago.

Because the argument seems to be most based on "Don't overreact guys free mods will still be there and awesome." and in my opinion at least pop messages asking you for money in a game like Skyrim not so awesome. And yes I know slippery slop, doom and gloom, and all that, but in this particular case it doesn't seem to be a huge stretch to believe this will catch on enough for it to be annoying.

I don't believe the majority of people will accept a mod with ads and that means its a business model looking to fail.

In one mod that is designed to push you monetization. Consider it a demo of a for pay mod.

I want you to say that out loud to yourself.

No really, go back and say it out loud to yourself and consider just how absurd that statement is. The very fact that you can say that unironically is truly something.

draetenth

I wonder how many mod authors would go for a sort of compromise: new version of the mod behind a paywall for x length of time before it's released to the Nexus for free. IIRC, one of the modders will do this (I can't remember which one though). Those interested in donating could buy it and those who don't want to can just wait a bit for it to be free. I don't think it's a perfect solution, but it has to be better than having popups in your free version... Heck, just keeping your old version like SkyUI is doing seems to be better than popups. IMO, that Midas Magic guy is crazy. I really don't see that doing anything but push people even further away from his mod...

GaimeGuy

It was an abandoned mod 72 hours ago.

I don't believe the majority of people will accept a mod with ads and that means its a business model looking to fail.

And now it's an abandoned mod with ads telling you to go purchase 3rd party DLC with all the compatibility issues of a mod.

Dolor

Just curious, looking at your post makes me think you are 12 and have no history and experience by which to judge.
Those of us who have been around forever, especially with gaming as a hobby (personally, since Atari), can easily see the writing on the wall with this move.

Edit: Upon rereading my post, this did come across as a little harsh. Just keep in mind some of us have even gamed before there was such a thing as expansions, let alone DLC.
Expansions were "ok". DLC on average has been shit. There are countless more examples of shitty DLC then good DLC.

Yes, I am the one acting like I'm 12 says the one siding with the sky-is-falling reactionaries. /s

It's been one day. If you're so confident it's such a terrible idea, in time, it will lose. I am sure EA will be more than happy to swoop in and all of a sudden we'll all be eagerly waiting for the Origin holiday sales.

We already had nice things. They're going away now though. To be replaced with the loose parts version of our previous nice things with none of the interconnectedness that made the previous nice things great. Oh and we've gotten several added plausible impending doomsday scenarios as a bonus.

I think maybe certain people had nice things, and if all parties are agreed that the current system is perfect, then nothing will change. My guess is that not all modders did think the current system of their work going unpaid is so great and so you will see some mods become paid (oh noes!).

It's a logistical nightmare, sure, but Valve and the devs are the ones that have to figure that out.

This much rage from people though seems bizarre and makes me think that this is more than just the fact that a handful of mods in an old ass game can now charge money. It's got be some kind of collective fear of change or fear of having to pay closer to the real value for the things that have been such an awesome part of PC gaming.

Aselith

I wonder how many mod authors would go for a sort of compromise: new version of the mod behind a paywall for x length of time before it's released to the Nexus for free. IIRC, one of the modders will do this (I can't remember which one though). Those interested in donating could buy it and those who don't want to can just wait a bit for it to be free. I don't think it's a perfect solution, but it has to be better than having popups in your free version... Heck, just keeping your old version like SkyUI is doing seems to be better than popups. IMO, that Midas Magic guy is crazy. I really don't see that doing anything but push people even further away from his mod...

Honestly the most reasonable solution is a paid mod and a free mod with exactly the same features if they're just going for donations anyways. No reason to hassle people if you're looking for a little kickback from people who are enjoying it.

And now it's an abandoned mod with ads telling you to go purchase 3rd party DLC with all the compatibility issues of a mod.

How do you think that's gonna work out for him?

These are the early days of this. The dude is obviously a prick looking to score some easy cash but let's be real and just recognize that this is almost certainly going to end badly for him. He's not gonna get the big score he's looking for.

I want you to say that out loud to yourself.

No really, go back and say it out loud to yourself and consider just how absurd that statement is. The very fact that you can say that unironically is truly something.

It's absurd and dumb. That's why it will fail.

Apparently over 30 mods have been taken off the Nexus hub-I believe over fears that they will be stolen and uploaded to Steam. This post goes into detail of it(From the nexus forums), and he also talks about Valves 'ecosystem' regarding refunds and how they give back money-IE if you brought a mod with stolen assets, you don't actually get money back, it goes into Valves funny money wallet.

Unless the thief is pants on head stupid they're not going to talk about stealing assets from other mods or put up pictures that would suggest assets have been stolen. The only way the authors of the assets that have been stolen will know it's happened is if someone buys the mod and then tells the author. At which point the author is either going to have to engage in the new world of mod piracy (which began yesterday in earnest) or they're going to have to buy the mod for themselves. So you want to say, "But Dark0ne, the author can buy the mod, investigate, then ask for a refund, as there's a refund system!". Yes, there's a refund system. A refund system that refunds you in Steam Wallet money that you can never take out of Steam. So once you've bought that mod, that money will always be Valve's from that point on. Refund or not. That, I'm sorry to say, is batshit. Freaking. Crazy. Add to that the fact that the mod may have made substantial sums of money before it's spotted, some of which may have already been paid to the thief, or alternatively has been removed from the thief's account before they could get the payout and, guess where the money goes then? That's right. Valve's coffers.

So if you're wondering why some mod authors have pulled their mods already, if you think it's silly or a daft knee-jerk reaction, you might want to rethink your position. I'm most definitely not trying to encourage more mod authors to do that, but I won't begrudge them doing it, and I'm also not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend like it isn't happening just so some mod authors don't find out the ugly truth and stick around. I think everyone should know everything there is to know about this. What I'd rather people did was put some pressure on Valve to find a way around this awful idea of profiting off stolen mods. Even if it's a way of refunding money properly instead of it being Steam Wallet money, that'd be a good start. My other idea would be for Valve to offer to donate any money that came from proven stolen mods that have been taken down to charity. That would be an awesome gesture.

Haha, some people are making 'protest' mods.

Extra Apple

UPDATE 1.1 NOTES:
Ever since Extra Apple's initial public release, which was about 13 hours ago, I have strived to improve the mod in all ways possible. With this update, which I have dubbed "The outStanding Update", the Extra Apple now stands on the counter rather than resting on it's side. This simple aesthetic change elevates the apple to a symbol of Nordic strength and independence, further increaseing immersion. Due to the immense amount of time I have taken to produce this update and also the increased immersion provided, I have raised the price of the mod from .25 cents to $29.99. I thank you for your continued support. I have also added some new features to the "future features list."

Have you ever walked into the Bannered Mare and thought to yourself: "Man, this place could use an extra apple."? Well, worry no longer! "Extra Apple" adds another apple to the counter in the Bannered Mare.

This mod took many years to fully develop. Skyrim released in 2011, and only now do I feel that the mod is ready for a public release.

Extra Apple is still in beta, but I have decided to open it up to the public for further testing and developement. By purchasing Extra Apple, you are making an investment in one of the most exciting mods in Skyrim history. The price will continue to rise as more features are added.

Future features I am planning include:

-Custom modeling, animation, and voice acting for the extra apple

-Adding more than one apple to the counter, possibly two or even (if this mod's revenue can support me full time for several months) three extra apples

-Massive overhaul to every single gameplay system that there is no way I can feasibly develop

-Yet another shoddy attempt to fix the Civil War questline

-A custom follower who is just a clone of another NPC. This follower will behave exactly like all the followers in the base game, and have no custom dialogue. They will however have a different name, and perhaps a poorly constructed backstory

-A New Lands section of the game featuring a fully voiced 50 hour questline based on my awesome story idea I had in class last Tuesday

-As per user demand, production has begun on a green apple. This update will take many months if not years to develop, so I appreciate your patience

-A handful of vanilla swords with mediocre enchantments

-Reduced loading times for Grand Theft Auto V online

bounchfx

so I'm hearing the modders now have the option of setting it at 0$ and it's effectively a 'donation' button now. that solves a chunk of the issue, right?

GaimeGuy

so I'm hearing the modders now have the option of setting it at 0$ and it's effectively a 'donation' button now. that solves a chunk of the issue, right?

75% of the donation still goes to bethesda and valve

They're ealso removing donation links from the workshop pages.

MrHoot

Partly, the problem of the huge cut that valve/bethesda takes is still a major eyesore for me. That and it won't stop people wanting to put it behind paywalls

Almighty

If the business becomes selling mods instead of just making mods and the free versions are considered demos like you said then it doesn't need a majority to work. All a modder needs is enough people to convert from the free version to the paid version and the whole thing is worth it. It is pretty much a boiled down version of the F2P businesses model right there or how demos have worked since the beginning . You don't need a majority to pay you to be profitable. And yes this first attempt is a little rough, but that doesn't mean future attempts won't be more refined.

you'd think it would at least be 33/33/33 split, but no.

Valve and Bethesda need money. Hats and Horse Armor weren't enough. Tomorrow they'll announce a horse fitted with Horse Armor and a top hat. $9.99.

There is a mod that has pop ups for the 'premium' version, listed earlier in this thread. Truly gaming has hit rock bottom ._.;

mitchlol

This is all about misdirection guys, Bethesda are worried about Skyrim still being so popular so they paid valve to implement this cash for modders scheme to make everyone hate the game and not want to play it. Then at E3 they can launch Fallout 4 and have a big press release how creators of mods will not be able to charge for the mods they make and valve will re-instate the way things were before all of this.

Look at whats NOT being said rather than what is.

/sarcasm

Dolor

Not talking specifically about PC gaming.

If PC gaming is better than ever, which it is, than whatever those terrible practices are that keep winning in your mind can't really be all that bad in the grand scheme I'd wager...

And that attitude is just plain dumb. "Dude, stop whining now, just wait if it gets worse when it will be then too late !"

What will be too late? Are you really worried that modding will be over/not done/all paid for at some point? I would love to see someone explain to me how you get from where we are now to modding being destroyed as we know it. Good Lord the hyperbole against this change is unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom