• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Workshop Now Supports Paid Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha holy shit. Bravo, truly the 'most popular' mods are getting the most store realty.

dYVLuuw.png

theultimo

...What? you can just use console commands for that stuff. I don't think that one is for sale though.
From the mod, . 99c pending

Why not just use console commands?

If you use commands like 'IncPCS' or 'setlevel' then you'll need other commands to raise the perk points, the levels or skill levels, and the Health, Magicka, and Stamina to match what you should have at that level. This mod will instead level you up the same way the game does naturally.

Using 'advskill (skill name) 999999999999' will give you levels, perk points, and skill levels but will only put skills at 100. If you use lower numbers to try to get a specific level it will have unpredictable results. This mod gives you the option to stop at whatever level you want within ten levels without numerous game breaking console commands.

Console commands have the potential to break the game if used incorrectly or too aggressively. CTD's and corrupted saves are not uncommon. This small and simple .esp file cannot break the game no matter how you use it's contents in the game and the chances of a conflict with another mod are slim.

I think I should make an in-game GUI that allows players to modify all of the safe globals and whatnot and then sell it as the "Better Skyrim Enhancement Pack." Assuming someone has not already taken that name in which case screw it.

MrHoot

If PC gaming is better than ever, which it is, than whatever those terrible practices are that keep winning in your mind can't really be all that bad in the grand scheme I'd wager...

What will be too late? Are you really worried that modding will be over/not done/all paid for at some point? I would love to see someone explain to me how you get from where we are now to modding being destroyed as we know it. Good Lord the hyperbole against this change is unbelievable.

PC Gaming being "better than ever" is extremely debatable. As a platform, yes it's cheaper and more efficient on a technical standpoint. But "PC Gaming" has nothing to do with gaming business practices which have gone worse from the pre-order hammering to releasing more and more unfinished products and additional content day one behind paywalls.

As far as modding, well you can already see it. Yes, I am afraid of modding being dead as a creative force. Between the ones having to take down their mods because others use them in return for money, with no real control (let's not fool itself, Valve already can't stop fucking shitty games to get on their platforms and release for 5 to 10 bucks. What makes you think they will even be able to keep control on the modding scene ?). And since Steam is the good ol' monopoly that it is, and people from the nexus are taking down mods by the hundreds, there's a very real chance that steam becomes the de-facto DRM platform for modding, in which the majority (of the useful ones) will be paid, rest will be scraps, and some unscrupulous devs, precisely like bethesda, will use a community by getting money to help their buggy games at release and still get cash for it.

To think that this scenario might never ever happen is incredibly naïve today, when we've seen far worse. Far from hyperbole.

Zabi

Banned
I'm not bothered by this because I'm one of those purists who prefer to play the game the way the developers intended the game to be played. If I need to install half a dozen mods to make the game enjoyable, there is a serious problem. The only mods I use are simple little mods like the mod to disable the story in Freelancer. Those are the kind of mods that will always be easy to find for free.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm not bothered by this because I'm one of those purists who prefer to play the game the way the developers intended the game to be played. If I need to install half a dozen mods to make the game enjoyable, there is a serious problem. The only mods I use are simple little mods like the mod to disable the story in Freelancer. Those are the kind of mods that will always be easy to find for free.

skyrim without mods is like a resses cup without peanut butter

Zabi

Banned
skyrim without mods is like a resses cup without peanut butter

Exactly. There is a serious problem when you need to load a game up with mods to make it any fun. That is why I consider the money to be better spent on a game that doesn't require modding up to be fun.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Exactly. There is a serious problem when you need to load a game up with mods to make it any fun. That is why I consider the money to be better spent on a game that doesn't require modding up to be fun.

well, i actually agree that you need mods to make skyrim good, and no amount of mods will ever make the combat fun. it's still a cool sandbox to dick around in and has great atmosphere.

You're dipping pretty hard into condescending territory. A lot of people enjoy Skyrim so much specifically because of its modding scene. How many other single player games do you see people sinking this much time into? Without mods, I was already well over a hundred hours so it's not like the game is an unplayable wreck beforehand.

Instro

I feel like this will inevitably shake out for the better in terms of the depth and quality of mods, and giving meaningful incentive for developers/publishers to provide mod tools, but this was not planned out well. Another plus; modders getting paid for fixing shit games like Skyrim.

Decado

I was tempted to pick up skyrim, but no way I'm doing that now given all the mods needed. Cost a fortune with no guarantee you'll wind up with a good game.

This whole thing seems like a mess and could only work in a perfect world.

reckless

I feel like this will inevitably shake out for the better in terms of the depth and quality of mods, and giving meaningful incentive for developers/publishers to provide mod tools, but this was not planned out well. Another plus; modders getting paid for fixing shit games like Skyrim.

Yeah and Bethesda getting paid for modders fixing shit games like Skyrim... Getting paid a lot more then the modders are too!

The Llama

Is that real? Because if it is... wow. That's a big step for Valve.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429226887

I can't verify the left, but it looks like the right now.

so 1500+ people bought that mod for almost 30 bucks and then rated it 1 star?

It looks like you used to be able to upvote or downvote things without having purchased them, but now they removed the ability to downvote things.

Welp this sux. I finally got a decentish pc and was looking forward to trying out modded Skyrim. I was only interested in Skyrim for PC because of the mods. The only reason I bought ck2 was because I wanted to give the GoT mod a shot. Guess I'll wait til this blows over, if it ever does. Seems like a good chunk of the good mods for Skyrim may be pay now, from reading the thread. I dont want to buy Skyrim if the modding stuff is all screwed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom