• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Coming to XBO/PS4 on 10/14/14

The game is fantastic but I'm a bit worried about all the games from last gen which come over to this gen as an definite edition or something like that. I have to pay a full pricr again for a better resolution of a game I played 2 years ago...and no one is even mad about it. But when a publisher is releasing a sequel every year than its milking the cow...

But wahtever...the game deserves to be played by more people but after done with ths definite edition they should use all their manpower to make a sequel.

The game is fantastic but I'm a bit worried about all the games from last gen which come over to this gen as an definite edition or something like that. I have to pay a full pricr again for a better resolution of a game I played 2 years ago...and no one is even mad about it. But when a publisher is releasing a sequel every year than its milking the cow...

But wahtever...the game deserves to be played by more people but they should use all their manpower to make a sequel.

You don't have to buy it, it's for people that missed out and fans that would like the upgrades. I doubt it takes many people to port it over, and doesn't take long to do, so it doesn't really impact development of new games. At the very least, they will fill the gap left by all of the delays and the extra revenue could be good for sequels or new ip's in the future.

GTA V is the better game, that takes nothing away from SD though. Both are great in their own ways.

By better game, what aspects we talking about? Gameplay? Cause I couldn't stand playing GTA 4/RDR/MP 3 with the clunky player movement, cover system, or restrictive mission design but haven't played GTA 5. Or the open world is just better with side quests or activities? Which I can believe more.

braves01

Banned
Yet another remaster that will probably outshine new current gen titles. Pretty damn sad fall lineups from the current gen consoles. Thank god for these remasters picking up slack and giving us the definitive holiday 2013 experience.

UrbanRats

By better game, what aspects we talking about? Gameplay? Cause I couldn't stand playing GTA 4/RDR/MP 3 with the clunky player movement, cover system, or restrictive mission design but haven't played GTA 5. Or the open world is just better with side quests or activities? Which I can believe more.

We don't see eye to eye on the matter, but i'd say:

Shooting is not ideal in either, though GTAV is better.
Hand to hand is better in Sleepy Dogs.
Driving is better in GTAV.
Missions are better in GTAV, SD is very restrictive as an open world game.
Open World stuff is obviously better in GTAV.
Story is better in SD.

Sleepy Dogs is one of my favorite games from last gen, but it gets idolized a bit from its fans.
it has a lot of problems that people see in GTA and other such games, like very rigid and scripted missions.

The comment I was replying to is talking about DLC pricing on PC. You try to keep up.

He was showing how all the dlc comes with the new version on XBox One and PS4, your claim that its $8 on PC has no bearing here as, again, this is aimed at people without a decent PC, as many have pointed out.

Personally the character movement doesn't bother me, it's not ideal, but I don't seem to have the issue you experienced. The open world is just better realised and more varied, the main characters better written and the npc's feel more authentic. What Gta lacks in hand to hand combat it makes up for in car handling. Also SD's combat system is a lot like the Arkham games, so whilst it was good at the time, I'm getting a bit fed up with it by now. I'm not sure about side missions as I haven't played most of the SD dlc, they could have added more.

Most of those can be chalked up as personal preferences, and considering the difference in budget it's a bit unfair to compare the two. Also, some may be completely fed up with a US setting (again), which is understandable, it's great to have a change of scenery.

Doesnt that game run at 30fps on xb1 and around an average of 50 on ps4?

53fps on PS4 apparently

THDNOtj.png

xrnzaaas

I liked Sleeping Dogs and I would love to play it again on my PS4, but not for 60 bucks. I'll wait until it costs less than 20 dollars or until it lands on PS+.

f@luS

More than a member.
The only définitive édition i can get from last gen have to be 1080p60

A last gen game even improved has to be able to push these performances

Tomb raider wasnt far off. Tlou is perfect. Ill get Sd If he does

leng jai

Played the shit out of the PC version but I'll probably buy it again on PS4 if it's a competent port. Yeah, I'm part of the problem.

Oh how great the start of this generation has been to those of us who completely missed all three consoles last gen. Looking forward to playing this (along with TLOU, GTAV, Metro) this fall! Perfect intermission before we get those great games made for the new generation.

jacobeid

Banned
It's hard to justify this on PS4 at $60 when I played it on PC for $5. Good for those who haven't played it I guess, but I'm hoping for an incoming sequel announcement.

jett

D-Member

I'd have to play SD again, but when it comes to game mechanics I think SD is better in every way.

I'd have to play SD again, but when it comes to game mechanics I think SD is better in every way.

It really isn't though. Just take driving for example. I admit, it's not everyone's favourite activity in an open world game, but it's one of my favourite things to do and it's objectively better in Gta 5.

jett

D-Member
It really isn't though. Just take driving for example. I admit, it's not everyone's favourite activity in an open world game, but it's one of my favourite things to do and it's objectively better in Gta 5.

I think I liked it better in SD. Shooting from a vehicle is done in a much smarter way in SD too.

Did they improve it from GTA4? Because I thought the driving in GTA4 was awful.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I want to see a game play video before deciding. If the improvements graphically aren't as good as can be, I'll pass. I bought everything for Sleeping Dogs on PSN and the visuals were really held back by last gen consoles.

If it looks great, I'll consider it.

You've already backed yourself into a bit of a corner, because almost every video will be compressed and run at 30fps which will make it very difficult to tell.

I mean I use the record on PS4 all the time, especially for Last of Us, but when I actually watch the video's it's honestly indistinguishable from the PS3 version. The difference between the PS3 and PS4 version of Last of Us is honestly like night and day, but videos couldn't come close to doing it justice.

UrbanRats

I think I liked it better in SD. Shooting from a vehicle is done in a much smarter way in SD too.

No way.
driving is shitty and shooting is, too.
driving + shooting is what it does better than GTAV, because of the slowmotion (though you can have that with Franklin) as well as hand to hand combat, obviously.

DMiz

But wahtever...the game deserves to be played by more people but after done with ths definite edition they should use all their manpower to make a sequel.

I think there's a slight difference between the two instances you mentioned.

Re-releasing a title from the last generation to the current generation won't, I imagine, distract a team from also focusing its efforts on new titles.

However, the practice of publishers making developers pump out iterative sequels reduces manpower on teams that could be used to generate new IP. Much as I'm a squeab for Assassin's Creed, the art series that Ubisoft has been putting out hints at how developers are itching to make games that don't follow modern conventions and could give us something new. I'd be more up for that than another AC title.

The only good thing about this besides the graphical upgrade is that ALL DLC will be included in this version. If you preorder they'll also throw in an artbook as well.

Help me GAF, I have the game on PC. I just have a low end laptop. It has a discrete AMD card and the game runs fine for the most part on normal and it looks decent enough for me but @720p. I am like 5-6 missions in, not much and I really like the game, I am always bored of open world games but loving this game.

Should I continue playing and finish it or just wait for a price drop on the PS4 version? I payed less than $10 for it on a steam sale.

Strange, I want to play it but I am finishing Wolfenstein and will get TLOUR (first time player). Don´t know what to do. I also have a lot of games to play so might end up waiting.

Help me GAF, I have the game on PC. I just have a low end laptop. It has a discrete AMD card and the game runs fine for the most part on normal and it looks decent enough for me but @720p. I am like 5-6 missions in, not much and I really like the game, I am always bored of open world games but loving this game.

Should I continue playing and finish it or just wait for a price drop on the PS4 version? I payed less than $10 for it on a steam sale.

Continue playing man.

Would pick it up at $20.

Also hope they target 60fps but I will guess they will just lock it at 1080/30 on both systems and call it a day. I dont think they will do another TR:DE 30/60 difference between both versions again.

Kikujiro

Strange, I want to play it but I am finishing Wolfenstein and will get TLOUR (first time player). Don´t know what to do. I also have a lot of games to play so might end up waiting.

If you're liking the game just continue and finish it. Then if you really loved it don't buy any DLCs and wait for the PS4 version price to drop, buy it and get the platinum with all the DLCs too. It's one of the few games I'd gladly replay again.

SD's melee is great largely thanks to the environment interactivity, regardless of how OP you are and I wish that Rockstar would've done something more with theirs over the years, yeah you get melee weapons but it's just uninteresting and flat out boring. It's one of the many areas Rockstar hopefully puts a good deal of work in with the next GTA.

I might've enjoyed the story more than GTAV's which felt incomplete,SD's was more satisfying. The fact that Rockstar still hasn't released any single player story content is embarrassing considering the interviews that were given in the past about the mistakes made with taking so long with GTA IV's DLC and other things. Figured it'd take about as long as Undead Nightmare took after RDR's release (like, five months IIRC) but it's been almost a year now. I guess they're more concerned about GTAO.

Echoplx

Is the DLC actually substantive? Some seem just like skins and things.

There's only three that are actually substantial (Nightmare in North Point, Zodiac Tournament and Year of the Snake) the rest are either cosmetic or small content packs like extra side missions.

A few of them are essentially cheats too, hopefully they can be disabled.

FFXIV: ARR
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Thief

They actually have put out more Xbox One/PS4 games than most publishers.

Lightning Returns: FFXIII was also this year, as well as Bravely Default (Nintendo published), and I'm sure I'm probably forgetting a few more.

Yeah, I remembered about Lightning after I made the post, but I guess I forgot them cause they didn't exactly set the world alight, except Bravely Default.

They're two of my top 5 last gen games, but I've played GTA V (not including online) over 500 hours but SD barely 100 hours. Biggest difference is scope.

Sleeping Dogs is basically designed as a great crime movie in terms of pacing, world, and scope. GTA V is much more like a drama, and I think much more enjoyable if you play it slowly a little every day over many weeks like watching a drama, taking the time to really appreciate and engross yourself in all the small details of the world and grow attached to the characters. The story is better that way. SD, on the other hand, is paced fast enough that it works with movie pacing. The gameplay and world design lends itself also much better to a faster playthrough, where as GTA V gameplay gets better with age (if you play on manual aim) and most of the world, weapons, cars, etc go unappreciated unless you spend hundreds of hours in the game world. I've beat GTA V almost 6 times now, and I'm still finding new surprising corners and details in the game world, fun new places to have cop or gang shootouts, enjoy experimenting with different weapons or cars, and in general just free roaming with different ideas every day. SD doesn't have the same scope to do that. But it has a perfect simplicity in its storytelling that is cliche but still manages to make you care about the main character yet retaining a great movie-esque pacing speed.

Plus the character Winston is a spitting image of a friend of mine, tattoos, hair, chain, tanktop and sweatpants, and all. So the story is a little bit charming in its cliche self-awareness.

vypek

I think this is really great for the people who missed out last time. I dont think its meant for people to double dip unless they are really dedicated and want to support the team. Im sure a price drop will happen soon (if $60 truly is the opening price). Maybe this definitive edition will get it on the radar for people who didnt buy it before and aren't playing last gen as much.

Once the price drops a little, I'll buy it again.

jbw

Banned
You know how stuff nags at you sometimes? I hated how you couldn't just walk around in this game, you could only jog or run.

Actually you could walk if you pulled the trigger, I think. There was some method, but it was less than ideal.

Also, steering a motorcycle while going slow in tight spaces was impossible, like when simply trying to turn around in an alley.

Basically this game was not a leisurely game, and made for high speeds. Still I thought those nagging issues killed some of the immersion.

I wonder though, will there only be visual upgrades? Or will there be more populated streets, and other performance upgrades as well?

Marvel

could never
I never did complete it... backlog and all that but hot damn did I enjoy it. Looking forward to playing again properly.

RooMHM

You don't have to buy it, it's for people that missed out and fans that would like the upgrades. I doubt it takes many people to port it over, and doesn't take long to do, so it doesn't really impact development of new games. At the very least, they will fill the gap left by all of the delays and the extra revenue could be good for sequels or new ip's in the future.
This always gets brought up but even if true, publishers usually don t launch two games at the same time so its could push other releases and it only serves for filling the awful drought of new games coming out on next gen...

BigDug13

My problem with providing all the DLC with the game is that much of it broke the balance and was basically buying cheat codes. If they don't allow you to disable it, this will be anything but the Definitive Edition.

Top Bottom