• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleepy Dogs & Lara Croft Guardian of Light for January Games With Gold

Matriox

Lococycle seems made for GwG, I think that will be the first one. Given previous months I think this is a step in the right direction.

Slashlen

They still got a ways to go to catch up to Plus, but this feels like the first month that they tried. Hopefully they keep it up.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Blah.

I can't join the love-in. Why the Playstation Plus title sloppy seconds?

Give me a reason to keep the 360, Microsoft...

Synth

Nice offering for once. I already have SD on PS3 and Steam, and GoL on 360 an Steam, so they don't benefit me much. Great for others though.

I think comparisons with PS+ are pointless until the service migrates to XB1 though. There is simply no way we're getting games of similar timeframes when the person can keep them forever without renewing their subscription. Unless the XB1 switches it over to a rental based model like PS+, the games will never be equal.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I just redeemed a 14 day Xbox Live Gold trial in order to download Sleeping Dogs (I own it on PC with all the DLC but why not free as well?), only to find out that they aren't eligible for Games with Gold. I was going to use one of the 3 prepaid cards I have left to get it, but I read this on the site:

Q. What if I am on a 30 day Gold credit card trial?

You are eligible. You must be enrolled to a paid Gold Membership or a Gold trial that requires a credit card.

Q. What if I am on a non-paid trial and I go Gold during the trial period to take advantage of a free game offer? Will I get the game?

If you upgrade to Gold during the duration of your non-paid Gold trial, your Gold membership will not start until the end of your free trial. As such, you will not be eligible to download a currently offered free game until your trial period ends and your Gold membership begins.

Q: If I redeem a promotional Gold token, will I be able to download the free games?

No, sorry, you would not be eligible. You must be enrolled to a paid Gold Membership or Gold trial that requires a credit card.

Shit out of luck. Seems like a terrible flaw in the Xbox Live Gold and Games with Gold system. Why can't I download a game if I upgrade my subscription? This is some terrible oversight on their part.

Falagard

That's cool about keeping them forever. I would guess MS crunched the numbers and figured that these offerings are not a significant factor leading people to subscribe to Live, since online play is the much bigger carrot for consumers. Therefore they have little to lose by letting people keep them and it's a favorable bullet point in comparison to the Plus service. Sony on the other hand, before PS4, needed a solid reason for people to pay for Plus.

It's more likely they don't have a system in place to restrict the games only when you have an xbox live subscription

Top Bottom