• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

starmud

I've had 6 3DS's... some of the cheapest, jankiest touch screen devices ever and at that they ask you to use a stylus on one one of them. Even than my DS's never appeared tore up until I gave older ones to my younger cousins to play on... I've only had one scratch on a top screen ever and it's when I dropped a new 3DS just the right way to leave a scuff.

I honestly don't see this being an issue unless your digging/slamming your switch into the dock at uneven angles. that's a lot of damage for a week in and we've had many switches floating around a week to not see more units with the same issue.

if you've ever given a console to a younger person you should know the device will be tore up in no time, hell I know many grown adults who throw their systems around like trash and never clean them. If you want to test build quality by not being careful with a expensive device... I put the cause as the user. That said Nintendo is pretty good putting kids in mind, but this isn't a classic nintey box either.

If your paranoid about this, thankfully there's many cheap solutions to put your mind at ease.

So far this is kickstand 2.0; Let's complain it has a plastic screen.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
>Buy first iteration at launch
>Second iteration gets announced
>First iteration too scuffed and scratched by dock to get any good re-sell value for second iteration.

I will 100% always be in handheld mode so it doesn't affect me, but seriously. What the actual fuck? Its that badly scratched just after it launched? Damn Nintendo.

Izayoi

Banned
So what the fuck is it - glass or plastic?

There are a million different answers and I won't get home for another few hours to verify.

Skux

You would think the inner area of the dock where it slides into would have a thin layer of padding. But it's just regular plastic.

Strange oversight.

And yet the plastic is hard enough to scratch the "glass". Gorilla Glass, this isn't.

Theonik

So what the fuck is it - glass or plastic?

There are a million different answers and I won't get home for another few hours to verify.
Definitely plastic. Glass is too hard to scratch this easily. Even non hardened glass doesn't scratch easy.

LQX

Blows my mind such a oversight can happen with years of testing this thing. I would even say it is damn near impossible Nintendo is not aware of this but just said fuck it, they will all buy screen protectors.

Kyuur

Not really gonna affect me since it'll be getting scratched to shit with no screen protection just through regular travel just like all my phones. :lol:

Not noticing any scratches thus far though.

Ellite25

Wouldn't just putting it in carefully prevent scratches?

Edit: I see that the screen sits flush with the dock. Who decided this?

Älg

You'd really think that all portable devices with a screen would use gorilla glass at this point. Even if you don't scratch it with the dock, you'll inevitably scratch it just by carrying it around.

Really bad design by Nintendo, to be honest.

I suspected as much when I saw you slip the system into something instead of just setting it on a dock, from the initial reveal video.

Glad I got one with the official case. Put it on before I even played anything, lol.

Going to grab a tempered glass one as soon as a decent one becomes available.

Älg;231443068 said:
You'd really think that all portable devices with a screen would use gorilla glass at this point. Even if you don't scratch it with the dock, you'll inevitably scratch it just by carrying it around.

Really bad design by Nintendo, to be honest.

But their profits.

newarrior

I really have no idea. I don't think anyone does

If you have one it's very easy to tell it's plastic.

Just as it is to tell that the vita screen is plastic.

Any reason this would be bad for the system if it's just the front?

Because felt for clothing is actually not that soft or smooth over time it'll still scratch your screen if you're not putting a screen protector on. It just won't happen in a couple hours like it is now.

That felt will attract dirt and dust and when you slide your switch in and rubs against it it'll basically be like fine sandpaper on the screen.

Älg

Even the gorilla glass on the S7 Edge is prone to scratching.

The only material that you see in you day-to-day life that can actually scratch gorilla glass, is regular stone. Basically, if you scratch your phone, it's because you have sand in your pockets. Don't put sand in your pockets.

Lifeline

Nintendo just keeps making it harder for me to want a Switch. 2nd revision it is, gonna suck if the exclusives keep up the BotW quality.

Even the Vita 2000 has gorilla glass so this is just sad. But then again, Nintendo designs and build quality have always been lacking.

Monger

Have any other professional websites confirmed this as an issue? I'd hate to see people add fabric that ends up holding dust and dirt that scratches the screen to fix a problem that doesn't actually exist.

I have a tempered glass screen protector coming regardless for drops, bumps or whatever else I inevitably do to it.

Edit: just saw bumpy. Seems crazy they wouldn't have caught this.

zewone

Glass is a 5.5 on the mohs scale

Gorilla Glass is a 6.

The plastic is likely a 3 or 4, making it more prone to scratching.

Aenima

Even the gorilla glass on the S7 Edge is prone to scratching.
I still use an old galaxy s2 with gorilla glass and my screen dont have a single scratch. Just use a cover when i put it in the pocket but around house the scren never had any other kind of protection.
Its possible to scratch it but defenitly gorilla glass dont scratch that easy.

Top Bottom