• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Dynomutt

Get a screen protecter folks! Can you guys imagine Switch consoles at the Best Buy/Target kiosks after a few months?

Salaadin

The screen doesn't seem to be flush with the dock and there's definitely some wiggle room. I'm not sure how it's getting scratched in curvy and jagged ways.

I might line my dock with microfiber cloth or something.

Edzi

The screen doesn't seem to be flush with the dock and there's definitely some wiggle room. I'm not sure how it's getting scratched in curvy and jagged ways.

I might line my dock with microfiber cloth or something.

This is what I'm wondering too, we've had people say that there's a visible gap between the screen and the dock.

Xdrive05

Glad I bought the Nintendo carrying case that came with a screen protector, sucky as it may be though. Will probably get a quality glass one whenever they're available.

By the look of the scratches in Blunty's video, they all follow a very similar pattern - probably when you have to rock the Switch slightly so it clicks in place, it might rub against the dock and scratch.

That's not very good industrial design.

CronoShot

Honestly....I haven't even taken the dock out of the box. Handheld mode is too good.

Still have a screen protector on the way though.

Got an email from Anker this morning advertising their new glass screen protector for the Switch.

Sadly they aren't shipping for three weeks.

I thought this was kind of known? One of the linked videos when they had the big switch hands on asked a rep if it'll scratch from sliding it in and out so much and the rep was like uhhhhhh I would recommend a screen protector. But yeah, kind of disappointed they didn't have some soft lining in the slot, there's no reason to have it scrape against plastic...

Izayoi

Banned
So I figured it out.

All we need to do is have someone pop the screen out, and then drop it on the ground.

If it shatters, it's glass, if it doesn't, it's plastic.

Mystery solved!

Edzi

Fingers crossed that this can be avoided by being careful while sliding the Switch in and out of the dock.

Mikke

Fingers crossed that this can be avoided by being careful while sliding the Switch in and out of the dock.
Yeah, I feel the same way. Not saying that it didn't happen to people or won't happen to me, but there's so much wiggle room between the dock and the switch that I hope I can avoid this by being careful.

Wallach

Put in an order for an amFilm. I don't generally like using these things but if they went with a cheap plastic bezel then there's not much choice, it won't be able to handle wear.

Fitts

Yeah, I feel the same way. Not saying that it didn't happen to people or won't happen to me, but there's so much wiggle room between the dock and the switch that I hope I can avoid this by being careful.

I don't have a Switch, but if the dock has wiggle room you should be able to stick some felt padding inside to avoid scratches. Just a small strip on both sides should do it.

I mean, you shouldn't have to. Nintendo should have. But at least there seems to be an easy solution to the problem they've created.

Mikke

I don't have a Switch, but if the dock has wiggle room you should be able to stick some felt padding inside to avoid scratches. Just a small strip on both sides should do it.

I mean, you shouldn't have to. Nintendo should have. But at least there seems to be an easy solution to the problem they've created.
I might try that. When I first set it up I was actually surprised how loose the thing sits in the dock, and even more surprised when I saw this thread. Definitely seems like an oversight.

eoa-swam

A felt strip or attaching some pads is really going to be required. I've literally taken my Switch in and out of the dock say 8 times today and you can already where the little plastic nubs on the dock inner rub against the screen.

The way the Switch unit sits in the dock is also pretty shoddy. There is a lot of play and it rattles around in there even with the lightest touch.

A felt strip or attaching some pads is really going to be required. I've literally taken my Switch in and out of the dock say 8 times today and you can already where the little plastic nubs on the dock inner rub against the screen.

The way the Switch unit sits in the dock is also pretty shoddy. There is a lot of play and it rattles around in there even with the lightest touch.

Four rubber nubs in the dock or two?

Pezking

Great, due to the heat from the system, my Hori Premium Screen protector just peels off.

It really does that?

There have been similar complaints from customers on amazon.co.jp.

Shit...Hori screen protectors are BY FAR the best you can get for 3DS, Vita and Wii U.

So what now? Does the cheaper non-premium Hori protector have the same issues?

Great, due to the heat from the system, my Hori Premium Screen protector just peels off.

This is why you go for a tempered glass screen protector.

Plastic ones are also shit for all the dirt and lint that'll eventually get caught under the edges.

It really does that?

There have been similar complaints from customers on amazon.co.jp.

Shit...Hori screen protectors are BY FAR the best you can get for 3DS, Vita and Wii U.

So what now? Does the cheaper non-premium Hori protector have the same issues?

Nah not even close. Tempered glass even from no name companies have always been way way better than anything hori makes.

I can't remember the last time I needed a screen protector. All my phones/tablets have had Gorilla Glass. I thought that was the norm now but I guess I was just spoiled.

vityaz

Ugh.... and I'm having trouble finding glass screen protectors like the amfilm one here in Europe atm, can't get it shipped here via amazon either. :/

Hale-XF11

Yikes, at least it's not the actual screen that gets scratched, but that certainly doesn't bode well for re-sell value.

Doesn't look like Amazon.ca has anything that will arrive till late March, early April when it comes to switch tempered glass screen protectors... I guess leave it in the dock till then and pray it doesn't scratch it.

I shouldn't have to do this Nintendo.

Edzi

So, does anyone think Nintendo will be forced to acknowledge this? I feel like they kind of have to if the main feature of their new system is actually causing damage to it.

ggx2ac

The screen is definitely plastic, too bad it isn't using gorilla glass.

I was trying to remove any surface level scratches with the cleaning cloth you get from Club Nintendo years ago for DS and instead it created more scratches.

The screen is very fragile. It's too late for me to get a screen protector, I don't think it will be a big deal for me, I've had scratched screens since the GBA and I got used to it since I wouldn't notice them while playing.

I just have to be careful figuring out what the deal is with the dock. It has no soft padding so you have to slide it down slowly and, the real annoyance comes when a game like Master Blaster Zero doesn't let you use the Pro Controller so you have to use the Joy-Cons which I haven't had the best time sliding them out of the console easily.

I was trying to remove any surface level scratches with the cleaning cloth you get from Club Nintendo years ago for DS and instead it created more scratches.

The screen is very fragile. It's too late for me to get a screen protector, I don't think it will be a big deal for me, I've had scratched screens since the GBA and I got used to it since I wouldn't notice them while playing.

I just have to be careful figuring out what the deal is with the dock. It has no soft padding so you have to slide it down slowly and, the real annoyance comes when a game like Master Blaster Zero doesn't let you use the Pro Controller so you have to use the Joy-Cons which I've haven't had the best time sliding them out of the console easily.

WAIT, you cant use the Pro Controller for Blaster Master Zero?

Thanks for all the warnings, picked up a screen protector before using dock.

I was so paranoid of bad pixels, was super happy switch didnt have any - so would have got really upset if I had scratched just by putting into the dock.

Cant believe they charge $90 for additional screen scratching pieces of plastic...

I just have to be careful figuring out what the deal is with the dock. It has no soft padding so you have to slide it down slowly and, the real annoyance comes when a game like Master Blaster Zero doesn't let you use the Pro Controller so you have to use the Joy-Cons which I haven't had the best time sliding them out of the console easily.

What the...scratches from a cleaning cloth? Thats nuts

ggx2ac

What the...scratches from a cleaning cloth? Thats nuts

I cleaned it the same way I would my DS and 3DS which would get rid of marks from the stylus and instead it made more scratches.

I'm not sure what I should do next time when I need to clean the screen from dust.

Top Bottom