• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Meffer

Here is my velcro solution. Make sure you only use the soft side of the velcro, not the scratchy side. ;-)

More photos here:
http://imgur.com/a/jd8uX

iLxIBrW.jpg

Okay that's great to see thank you very much.
I suggest this solution be posted in the OP.

komorebi

For reference here's what I'm doing for now.

Side benefit is my screen gets nicely cleaned when I pull it out.

Don't notice much resistance/pressure at all. The cloth is super thin.

D3R37sFm.jpg

Doesn't the Switch warm up while charging and playing Zelda? I personally wouldn't want to keep a cloth on it no matter how thin but maybe I'm overthinking it. It's a good idea in theory though.

I'm just going to mollycoddle mine until my screen protectors arrive.

goldenpp72

Are there such a thing as microfiber adhesive strips or anything that wouldn't scratch the thing? I'd rather just do that now and not worry.

Vitacat

Are there such a thing as microfiber adhesive strips or anything that wouldn't scratch the thing? I'd rather just do that now and not worry.
That is what the soft side of Velcro is, basically. That's the whole point of my solution.

Also, anyone who also doesn't use a screen protector is foolish IMO, even if the dock was designed better. The first thing I did when I opened my Switch was put on a screen protector. Much easier to replace an $8 piece of plastic or glass than a $300 device.

goldenpp72

That is what the soft side of Velcro is, basically. That's the whole point of my solution.

Also, anyone who also doesn't use a screen protector is foolish IMO, even if the dock was designed better. The first thing I did when I opened my Switch was put on a screen protector. Much easier to replace an $8 piece of plastic or glass than a $300 device.

I usually do use screen protectors for game devices but, didn't because I don't know of good ones yet. Considering that one person reported theirs melted off, i'm still not sure. I am very careful with my stuff though..

DjRalford

I usually do use screen protectors for game devices but, didn't because I don't know of good ones yet. Considering that one person reported theirs melted off, i'm still not sure. I am very careful with my stuff though..

i put the offical one from the accesory pack on my daughters and it was played in the dock all evening without issue, they were playing 1-2 switch though so i don't know if Zelda would make enough extra heat to make it peel.

Vitacat

There are several very good ones. I'm currently using Illumishields because they were inexpensive and shipped literally last week, so I had them ready day one. Hori are excellent. I'm not sure about glass ones, but I'm sure people can offer good suggestions.

One thing about screen protectors, timing and technique make big differences. The best time to put one on is immediately out of the box when the new device is very clean with very few dust particles on the surface. I use the shower technique, and it has always worked well. I get very, very clean installations that way. But I'm super careful, and even wear a dust mask and head cover when I do it.

Belker

For reference here's what I'm doing for now.

Side benefit is my screen gets nicely cleaned when I pull it out.

Don't notice much resistance/pressure at all. The cloth is super thin.

D3R37sFm.jpg

This is very clever and impermanent too. Have you noticed if the Switch tugs on the rubber band at all?

nikos

Here is my velcro solution. Make sure you only use the soft side of the velcro, not the scratchy side. ;-)

More photos here:
http://imgur.com/a/jd8uX

iLxIBrW.jpg

I'm pretty sure the rubber pieces at the bottom of the dock are causing the scratching. If any dirt clings onto them, the screen will most likely get scratched. I noticed hey left some faint marks on my screen after docking it once.

Gurrry

As soon as I docked this thing for the first time last night, I knew it was sketchy.

Gonna have to get a screen protector now. Good excuse to get one.

Put me down as "paranoid as fuck" lmao.

Ordered those tempered glass screen protectors and my Switch isn't leaving the dock until then. I suppose I should cut the top open for ventilation, but it'll be okay while it's in sleep mode. I seriously got out of bed and checked my goddamn screen twice because I was nervous about the dock from the getgo. My screen is fine but I'm not taking any chances.

The dock really does seem like a piece of junk.

No idea why they didn't just go with a weighted version of the New 3ds vertical docks which wouldn't touch the screen at all.

Something thin like that would take up less packaging space and be a cleaner look from behind as well. This dock has three thick black cables routed haphazardly halfway up the dock. It looks like a mess head-on.

Seriously considering just dremel-ing off the entire front of the dock. Even if it wasn't scratching screens, it's just an ugly and cheap-feeling piece of kit.

Maybe I'll disassemble it and duct-tape together my own little portable hub.

Persona7

Banned
I set my switch in the dock and I noticed the screen warping in a few spots right before the screen shut off like when you apply pressure to a LCD.

Is it really that hard to create a docking system like this?

en-INTL-L-Prometheus-Docking-Station-GJ3-00001-mnco.jpg

Or just a simple USB C adapter that has a port for charging and to plug in an Hdmi cable. The dock seems largely unnecessary. It helps a bit with attaching and detaching the Joycons but that's easy enough to do without it.

Imagine Nintendo is laughing at us because some people will throw more money at them to buy the official screen protectors. Sounds crazy but I'm sure they'd be able to do that. They love money way more than they love their customers.

Put me down as "paranoid as fuck" lmao.

Ordered those tempered glass screen protectors and my Switch isn't leaving the dock until then. I suppose I should cut the top open for ventilation, but it'll be okay while it's in sleep mode. I seriously got out of bed and checked my goddamn screen twice because I was nervous about the dock from the getgo. My screen is fine but I'm not taking any chances.

Lol at that the pic.

This situation is very unfortunate. I removed the screen protector before viewing this thread. Guess I'll be buying one hoping that it will really work (and also not leave ugly bubbles on my screen).

I set my switch in the dock and I noticed the screen warping in a few spots right before the screen shut off like when you apply pressure to a LCD.

Scary.

WTF Nintendo?

Do you have any pics from other views? Does it go all the way down to the bottom of the dock? Also, did you use double sided tape?

I did the lazy man version of this and just cut a hole in the foam wrap the Switch came in for the port. If you do it like this, you could use electrical tape since it has a very smooth, rubbery surface. I know some people have been using only electrical tape, anyway.

Imagine Nintendo is laughing at us because some people will throw more money at them to buy the official screen protectors. Sounds crazy but I'm sure they'd be able to do that. They love money way more than they love their customers.

Lol at that the pic.

This situation is very unfortunate. I removed the screen protector before viewing this thread. Guess I'll be buying one hoping that it will really work (and also not leave ugly bubbles on my screen).

Don't buy the official screen protectors because they don't even cover the whole screen. Anyway, you might already know this from past experience or this thread, but let your shower run hot for a couple of minutes and apply the screen protector in your bathroom. Bring a microfiber cloth and some scotch tape to pick up those stray pieces of dust.

I do not see how those two little rubber pieces at the bottom front of the dock are causing that kind of scratching.

I have only taken it out of the dock 3 times today and then i noticed some smudge looking marks on the lower screen sides, where the rubber pads touch the screen constantly. I took a really soft cotton t-shirt and rubbed both spots of the screen for about 10 seconds and the rubber smudge marks are completely gone. I know those would have gotten much worse and noticeable over time, but there are no scratch marks in the slightest.

The marks i saw posted here looked like someone may have seen those rubber scuff marks, had a fit of panic and tried to fix it with their car keys.

Anyway, i took some of that soft white wrapping from the switch box and taped 2 strips on each side of the dock. It was a very snug fit afterwards, but i'm not removing the Switch from the dock until my tempered glass screen protector arrives next week. The Pro Controller is too awesome to not use anyway. I'm fine going TV only right now.

I did the lazy man version of this and just cut a hole in the foam wrap the Switch came in for the port. If you do it like this, you could use electrical tape since it has a very smooth, rubbery surface. I know some people have been using only electrical tape, anyway.

Don't buy the official screen protectors because they don't even cover the whole screen. Anyway, you might already know this from past experience or this thread, but let your shower run hot for a couple of minutes and apply the screen protector in your bathroom. Bring a microfiber cloth and some scotch tape to pick up those stray pieces of dust.

I already knew this personally but still thank you for reminding me and some other people :)

I do not see how those two little rubber pieces at the bottom front of the dock are causing that kind of scratching.

I have only taken it out of the dock 3 times today and then i noticed some smudge looking marks on the lower screen sides, where the rubber pads touch the screen constantly. I took a really soft cotton t-shirt and rubbed both spots of the screen for about 10 seconds and the rubber smudge marks are completely gone. I know those would have gotten much worse and noticeable over time, but there are no scratch marks in the slightest.

The marks i saw posted here looked like someone may have seen those rubber scuff marks, had a fit of panic and tried to fix it with their car keys.

Anyway, i took some of that soft white wrapping from the switch box and taped 2 strips on each side of the dock. It was a very snug fit afterwards, but i'm not removing the Switch from the dock until my tempered glass screen protector arrives next week. The Pro Controller is too awesome to not use anyway. I'm fine going TV only right now.

I noticed those same smudges and it freaked me out enough to rewrap my entire Switch. It fits in the dock very snugly, but it's a solution until my screen protectors arrive, as well...

Beepos

I don't think you can even get glass switch screen protectors in Aus yet, and amazon doesn't ship them here...

I really hate plastic ones, they always end up making the IQ worse, even just a tiny bit. Might just fashion a cloth around the screen every time I dock it and take my chances sigh.

ngower

Is this widely reported or just what's in the OP? I've been traveling all day and don't want to read this entire thread.

I am super paranoid about this now even though I know it's probably a way overreaction

Just be careful and at the very least put some electrical tape down the inside of the dock where it rubs against the Switch itself. As some others have said, those scratches aren't straight lines and could have come from detaching the Joycons in a wiggling motion.

Serious question.

If the glass gets too scratched, can you send it back for a new one? I mean since it's not your fault and you are using it like you are supposed to?

EVO

Haha loving these ghetto ass solutions. Not sure about the velcro one though. Looks like it would leave a ton of micro scratches.

Is this widely reported or just what's in the OP? I've been traveling all day and don't want to read this entire thread.

Several other people in this thread, including a prominent and pretty trustworthy youtuber have had it happen as well. Will most definitely be getting more and more data as Switches spend more time in the wild. But yeah, even in a small sampling like GAF it seems to maybe be an issue.

I feel like we might need a dedicated thread to keep up with all the Switch issues,

-Left Joy-Con desync.
-Spotty Wi-Fi & can't access public Wi-Fi if a web browser is needed for user agreement.
-Screen gets scratched by poor dock design.
-Frame-rate worsens in docked/TV mode.
-Charging trouble/confusion - poorly indication on when the battery is being drained and when it's properly being charged.

Seems like Nintendo really rushed this bad boy out of the door.

I think a lot of people would find this useful. Best to keep launch hardware issues all consolidated in a single thread.

freefornow

Love the creative and simple solutions you guys are coming up with:)
But seriously Nintendo, you could have just added four 5mm x 5mm square of felt tabs to avoid all this unnecessary nonsense.

majik13

Probably already discussed, but now seeing the Hori Screen protector reviews on Amazon, and they dont work? They peel off after the Switch heats up in the dock? I was just about to apply mine.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I haven't had any issues with scratching yet. Will report back if I do. Additionally my hori protector is holding up fine

Is there no dockless solution? Isn't it just a Usb-C to HDMI cable in a plastic box?
The dock and the switch do a handshake of sorts. Another member in the switch OT got access to the code that talks to the switch. He said that regular docks won't work but if he can reverse engineer the code he can make his own dock.

Just be careful and at the very least put some electrical tape down the inside of the dock where it rubs against the Switch itself. As some others have said, those scratches aren't straight lines and could have come from detaching the Joycons in a wiggling motion.

Sounds reasonable. Has it happened to anyone who doesn't remove the joycons? I doubt I'll ever remove them.

What are the chances of Nintendo sending out free , bespoke to this issue smooth nobs/patches to place in the dock?

They were really proactive with the free wiimote silicone covers when wii remote-caused damage was an issue.

Top Bottom