• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

KAL2006

Banned
So much this.

I would have preferred a dock like this:

psvita_cradle2-large.png

Exactly my thought

Cradle over dock anyway

Also cradle could have been used as a stand as well for off TV okay and would have allowed charging in table top mode.

How many times have you docked it?

Upon inspecting the dock after opening my switch box it's pretty fucking obvious the screen can rub against the side of the dock during normal insertion/removal.

Unless you're very aware of the possibility of scratching and are super careful I could definitely see it happening. Especially when using it in an entertainment center where you may need to angle it to get it to fit.

How someone at Nintendo didn't figure to use soft material coated on the interior of the dock is truly beyond me.

KAL2006

Banned
I know I'm trying to justify me cancelling my preorders I'm quite glad this happened as I have a backlog of games Zelda perfect scores nearly made me a launch owner but I know if regret it after finishing Zelda. Waiting for a revision is definitely the best choice. I'm gonna aim to finish my Vita backlog in time for when upgrading to a Switch.

Biske

One other thing to note, its not just from putting the switch in and taking it out.

For me, to get the joy cons on takes some doing, which wiggles the Switch.

If you notice in some of the videos, the scratch has a zig zag from the switch wobbling back and forth in the dock...

I just checked mine Switch. It has some marks on the lower right corner of the bezel that look like it is getting rubbed against something in the dock. I have literally docked it twice since i got it. Looks like this might be a portable only system for me until I can find a way to connect it without a dock.

One other thing to note, its not just from putting the switch in and taking it out.

For me, to get the joy cons on takes some doing, which wiggles the Switch.

If you notice in some of the videos, the scratch has a zig zag from the switch wobbling back and forth in the dock...

the area on mine is a straight line maybe half a cm wide by a cm tall .

I just checked mine Switch. It has some marks on the lower right corner of the bezel that look like it is getting rubbed against something in the dock. I have literally docked it twice since i got it. Looks like this might be a portable only system for me until I can find a way to connect it without a dock.

I ordered self adhesive felt pads from Amazon. Going portable only until then. Ridiculous.

Arjayes

Banned
Man, thank goodness for this thread.
Picking up my Switch and seeing if there were scratches was like waiting for paternity results. Luckily, there weren't any (it might be due to me always taking it out and putting it in very slowly) I did the microfiber drape thing so I should be okay from here on.

Funny story behind this microfiber cloth. It was my birthday and my friend asked me what I wanted. In anticipation for the Switch I said "Just a Geo gift card would be nice" so as to not seem boring she got me a gift card, the cloth, and scissors lol. I asked why the cloth and scissors and she said the cloth so I can clean my glasses (I don't wear glasses, she does) and scissors because she doesn't know lol. Maybe the next Switch problem will involve scissors.

Rorschach

We hear every day from our passionate fans just how much they love the new system, how innovative it is and just how much they are enjoying huge hits like breath of the wild and 1-2 switch.
Its been such a successful launch all around the world that fans are passionately asking for more switch hardware news already.
We hear that the fans want a better way to protect such a beautiful piece of hardware.
And at this years e3 we will be showcasing some brand new screen protectors and brand new docking stations based around some our most popular franchises such as mario and zelda.
You can see them first at this years e3 and they will launch soon after, this holiday 2017.

*crowd goes wild*

Biske

the area on mine is a straight line maybe half a cm wide by a cm tall .

I've taken the liberty of highlighting the zig-zag-itude.

vityaz

Yeah... probably won't be taking mine out of the dock until my screen protector arrives. I'm curious as to how this got by QC, and what Nintendo's response will be.

What about putting the dock on its side so it wouldn't chafe against those edges? Heat issues, risk of tablet sliding out or something?

modsbox

Just a heads up, the hyperkin screen protectors on Amazon aren't great imho.

I put it on literally immediately after taking the switch out of the bag and I've got bubbles and little flecks of something in between. The Switch screen looked pristine so I can only guess that there were little flecks of stuff on the screen protector itself.

The screen protector came with a microfiber cloth and an applicator thing, but no soapy spray like I'm used to with Zagg products for example.

I'm glad I have it on there because of this dock debacle but it looks bad when playing in portable mode.

Any experts out there want to let me know how to properly clean both the screen and the protector and reapply it without bubbles I am all ears.

saskuatch

The dock design is dumb I agree. But I don't think Nintendo chose plastic screen because of the cost, a very large part of their demographic are clumsy kids. And if you look at the video below on drop tests, dropping this thing would almost certainly shatter a glass screen very quickly. There is some serious bendage in the slow motion parts of the video, I doubt glass would do well with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=533&v=kqMgv9hHmrY

darkwing

The dock design is dumb I agree. But I don't think Nintendo chose plastic screen because of the cost, a very large part of their demographic are clumsy kids. And if you look at the video below on drop tests, dropping this thing would almost certainly shatter a glass screen very quickly. There is some serious bendage in the slow motion parts of the video, I doubt glass would do well with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=533&v=kqMgv9hHmrY

but kids with ipads

ColdPizza

Banned
This thread is seriously making me. It want to open my Switch until I get my protector. The only reason I haven't so far is my brother just flew in town and I'd rather hang out with him.

This thread is seriously making me. It want to open my Switch until I get my protector. The only reason I haven't so far is my brother just flew in town and I'd rather hang out with him.

It's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. It's probably possible to scratch it when docking but the best thing to do is make sure when you dock it that the backside of the console is what's making contact with the walls of the dock. Have it lean against the backside rather than the front.

ColdPizza

Banned
It's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. It's probably possible to scratch it when docking but the best thing to do is make sure when you dock it that the backside of the console is what's making contact with the walls of the dock. Have it lean against the backside rather than the front.

Can you dock from either direction? Or thick part in the back?

Cannot fucking believe this. It's OG 3DS all over again. Jesus fucking christ Nintendo.

They better be offering free repairs to people that scratch their screens using the dock, because this is just unacceptable. It was as easy as putting soft pads on the fucking thing.

Just fashioned a protective pad like some in the thread before this happens to me. I know if I hadn't caught it until it was too late I'd be raging at Nintendo until the fixed my screen and made me a new dock that doesn't fuckin do this.

ggx2ac

This thread is terrifying. I couldn't imagine having it scratched in less than a day.

I've already gotten over it. As long as it's just surface level scratches I won't notice it during gameplay.

Now, if it was deeper than that. I would be worried. But I never had that happen with DS/3DS.

So of course, I need to be careful with the dock.

Vitacat

Just put the soft side of Velcro strips just above the rails. Cut out little rectangles. Now my Switch slides in super smooth and quiet, and is not gonna get scratched.

Easy to do and highly recommended for peace of mind.

dyergram

I would loose my mind over this. I scratched my psvr by wearing glasses (which you don't even need to do) and it still pisses me off.

Biske

There is no way you can manage to do that by merely sliding it up and down in the dock. Lower corner is very likely, but not zig-zag lines in the middle.

The black lines are mine, mimicking the actual circle zig zag scratches, which I'm guessing is from the Switch rocking back and forth as the Joy Cons come on and off. Mine are such a tight fight I cant easily just slide them both off, have to do one at a time and it rocks the switch

Murugo

I'm heading to go get a screen protector from game stop now. Any recommendations please?

Visited today and they only had the official kit that comes with a carrying case. But I've read reviews that the screen protector is too large for the screen.

pixelation

This is fucking stupid.

It is and Eurogamer had mentioned it previously too, quite dumb that it slipped through their cracks. And it's not the only thing they got wrong with the Switch in its first iteration (hello lackluster battery life and sync issues!).

Afrodium

Banned
My IKEA entertainment center came with some padded nubs I forgot to put on the bottom. I'm gonna slap them on the inside of my dock.

Thankfully I'll be using my Switch as a handheld only device. I put my console in the dock once, just to see if it was working, but took it out shortly after. I saw this thread and immediatelty put the dock in the closet. That's a huge oversight by Nintendo and really lazy, honestly.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I've already gotten over it. As long as it's just surface level scratches I won't notice it during gameplay.

Now, if it was deeper than that. I would be worried. But I never had that happen with DS/3DS.

So of course, I need to be careful with the dock.

Yeah I'm usually pretty casual about scratches actually but I still wouldn't feel comfortable not even getting 24 hours out of it. I'd probably get over it but I'd feel pretty frustrated it scratched so quickly. Even the OG 3DS gave you like a week before the top screen got scratched to hell

Neff

Zero scratches on mine after a dozen or so dockings and un-dockings because I'm careful with my expensive new electronics.

Top Bottom