• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Havent opened my switch yet but is there room inbetween where the console would rest with the dock that you could attach a microfiber cloth or something?

Banditscout

Neo Member
My dock slot actually narrows toward the top. I brought it back to gamestop this morning to see if I could look at a dock from another unit. It had the same shape.

Essentially, the inner edges of the dock converge toward the top of it, creating some resistance when attempting to dock the Switch. WTF, Nintendo.

Ryoukai

Seems kinda silly but this is what I did for now:

It's tighter, but we will see. It should be less abrasive on the screen.

Thanks for posting this. Applied it to my dock, and even though it does look ridiculous. I'm glad I don't have to stress about my switch getting scratched.

Permanently A

I'm really confused how this could have possibly gotten past QA considering that the scratches are happen within just a few dockings according to some users. Its not like the 3DS problem where closing and opening it scratched the top screen over time. This is an immediate and noticeable issue within a day of normal usage. Its really quite surprising.

I've been pulling mine out very very slowly I don't see how it can scratch unless you are being careless. It's still a really stupid design flaw on a fucking system that is designed to be pulled in and out of the dock

leng jai

I'm really confused how this could have possibly gotten past QA considering that the scratches are happen within just a few dockings according to some users. Its not like the 3DS problem where closing and opening it scratched the top screen over time. This is an immediate and noticeable issue within a day of normal usage. Its really quite surprising.

Nothing is surprising when it comes to Nintendo. Why even have the big plastic part in the front anyway? Why not just make it like a normal dock with the screen exposed?

How do you guys think Nintendo will respond?

Will they not respond at all, send a DYI kit, or allow people to send their docks in for a quick fix?

Thanks for posting this. Applied it to my dock, and even though it does look ridiculous. I'm glad I don't have to stress about my switch getting scratched.

No problem. Pretty annoyed with Nintendo on this one, and I'm still worried something will go wrong because now there isn't any spacing at all..but yeah. Hope it works out.

Okada

I've gone with the microfiber cloth draped over technique for now, will make a more permanent solution tomorrow.

I took a thin sunglasses cleaning cloth, draped it over the entire front and inside, then secured it with a rubber band.

Works great?

Shouldn't have to worry about this.

Ghgghggh

Banned
I have a switch and this seems like more bullshit. I may get a screen cover just in case but nah it's not going to scratch up the screen.

I'm more surprised absolutely none of the previews/reviews from the press mentioned this.

Waiting for my glass protectors which I pre-ordered and shipped yesterday. Went out and bought some cheap Biogenik protectors to avoid any tiny bit of scratches in the meantime.

Maximo

How do you guys think Nintendo will respond?

Will they not respond at all, send a DYI kit, or allow people to send their docks in for a quick fix?

Doubt they will do anything, don't believe they did anything when 3DS's was scratching the screens, if anything they will do another dock later on or wait till a hardware revision.

leng jai

Poorly designed dock and dodgy frame rate for Zelda in TV mode. Looks like Nintendo are trying to tell us this is a handheld...

Samus4145

Is the only connection to the dock come from the USB C? Think a female to male USB C cable would work to hook both together without putting it in the dock?

Edzi

Played around with the console a bit in handheld mode to get everything set up, but now I'm scared of trying to dock it. I don't see any guide/instructions for how to attach and remove the switch from the dock. Do you just jam it in and pull it out? Seems way more snug than I was expecting too.

So why don't press units have the problem? Is it maybe a build quality variable and some units have something off in the dock build that is causing it? Just can't imagine that with the extensive coverage and decent reporting of issues with the system from the gaming community before launch that this wouldn't have happened to them.

Rootbeer

Banned
I placed a strip of scotch tape over both rails, it's wide enough to have slight overlap on both sides of the rail giving full coverage. It's very smooth so scratches shouldn't be a problem. Also has the added benefit that it's a nearly invisible solution that you can only see when looking inside.

After some testing I think it will be enough protection until I get a screen protector in the mail.

Vitacat

I probably need to post photos, but the ideal answer is Velcro, people.

I cut small rectangles of the soft side of black Velcro and placed them above each rail. Then I cut long strips and placed one on each side down the very center of the dock. Now my Switch slides in super smooth, quiet, and zero chance of scratches.

Velcro. It's awesome stuff. The soft side, in this case.

Is the only connection to the dock come from the USB C? Think a female to male USB C cable would work to hook both together without putting it in the dock?

It's a good thought. But given how dodgy many usb-c cable designs are, I'm not sure I'd want to use an extension cable that transfers power, data, and hdmi.

Still hoping for a simple usb-c hub like the apple one for their new laptops. Haven't heard of anybody with a standard usb-c hub trying it on the Switch.

I cut small rectangles of the soft side of black Velcro and placed them above each rail. Then I cut long strips and placed one on each side down the very center of the dock. Now my Switch slides in super smooth, quiet, and zero chance of scratches.

I'd be really interested in seeing pictures if you get a chance.

The only reason I can see for it is to the protect the screen being openly exposed when docked, or if god forbid it comes loose and falls flat on its face.

So then it could be modded to lean back like the Wii U or aftermarket docks could be designed better. Seems like an easy fix although it's really stupid this is a thing in the first place.

Meffer

Can you take some pictures of what your velcro looks like and how they're placed? This would be really helpful for me.

iPads main demographic definitely aren't kids
Have three iPads being constantly carried/dropped/stamped by my the kids and not one has any scratches or cracks. You'd have to drop it so the screen is the first point of contact, which is very unlikely with the Switch having the joycons connected in handheld mode and the buttons/joysticks are raised above the screen.

shanafan

Seems kinda silly but this is what I did for now:

cM7UThO.jpg

It's tighter, but we will see. It should be less abrasive on the screen.

Love this. Just doing it now until my tempered glass protector arrives. #NoChances

medze

Man that's kind of a kick in the nuts to have to stick pieces of Velcro on a brand new $300+ piece of electronics so that it functions properly.

For reference here's what I'm doing for now.

Side benefit is my screen gets nicely cleaned when I pull it out.

Don't notice much resistance/pressure at all. The cloth is super thin.

D3R37sFm.jpg

banjo5150

This is crazy. I would assume there was some kind of felt buffer. Kind like the material that is on a insert of when you insert a CD in a car stereo or something. I just don't understand how things like this do not get discovered in testing/engineering.

So why don't press units have the problem? Is it maybe a build quality variable and some units have something off in the dock build that is causing it? Just can't imagine that with the extensive coverage and decent reporting of issues with the system from the gaming community before launch that this wouldn't have happened to them.

Did you not bother to look at the OP?
It's Glixel (Rolling Stones gaming site) reporting their unit has scratches after a week of use.

Top Bottom