• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Dabanton

I don't even want to imagine the state of these screens after a few weeks if you have young kids using one.

Much less taking this thing out around the city. Protective screen or not.

Hmm as someone suggested earlier, I used on of the bag things it comes in, to slide over the front of the doc to protect it. it is a very tight fit so seems like it wont harm anything.

Anybody think of why this would be a bad idea? The bag there can hurt anything can it? I'm thinking like heat problems or something? Obviously it looks dumb as hell but should protect it fine

cover.png

Heat might be a problem though, if I'm honest. Though I don't know how hot it gets, so it might be fine.

Seems kinda silly but this is what I did for now:

cM7UThO.jpg

It's tighter, but we will see. It should be less abrasive on the screen.

This looks much better.

Biske

Haha I might as well have done the same thing instead I cut the bags to size and taped two pieces to the ridges on the interior.

I hope it works alright too.

Personally I'm worried about the tight fit. The padding is better than plastic but it adds more friction in general.

Mine fits pretty good, doesn't really make it any tighter, the other bag seems thicker, but I think the one I used was just for the switch screen and its a bit thinner, so it fights almost exactly.

Such an awesome device, its incredible how they botched this part of it.

Can't you charge the system without using the dock?

Hopefully this problem may be solved by the time Splatoon 2 releases so I can buy a Switch without worrying about this...

:/

Schnozberry

I heard/read it was best to get a good glass screen protector and not those shitty plastic film ones that leave air bubbles on the screen?
(I have one like that for Vita and thankfully there's no bubbles where the screen actually is, but still...)

First thing I did was put a glass protector on it. The amfilm protectors on Amazon fit really well and come in a two pack so you'll have a spare.

Xdrive05

Can't you charge the system without using the dock?

Hopefully this problem may be solved by the time Splatoon 2 releases so I can buy a Switch without worrying about this...

:/

Yeah, you can plug in a usb-c cable directly to the machine, but I don't think you can play on the TV that way.

Mine fits pretty good, doesn't really make it any tighter, the other bag seems thicker, but I think the one I used was just for the switch screen and its a bit thinner, so it fights almost exactly.

Such an awesome device, its incredible how they botched this part of it.

Hmm maybe I'll swap it out for that one.

EDIT: lol I did use the one for the Switch screen.

Biske

I'm reading some amazon reviews about screen protectors...

ByBenjamin Pestaon March 3, 2017
style name: Premium Protective Filter (edition: Premium)|Verified Purchase
It appears when the switch is docked and begins to heat up the screen protector begins to peel away from the screen. It may have not been designed to accommodate a screen protector. Unfortunately I was among the guinea pigs in this experiment.
It applied nicely at first but now is littered with air bubbles. Save your 20 bucks and just take care of it. Mines going in the garbage can.

FWIW I got the Power A screen protector and although there were some bubbles on application it stays on fine now, we've had the Switch on and in the dock all day so it was plenty warm.

Biske

Hmm maybe I'll swap it out for that one.

EDIT: lol I did use the one for the Switch screen.

Hmmmm. Weird. Mine seems just like before.

Eh fuck it. I'll keep it there and see how it goes, its not as if there is a ton of air flow there anyways and there isn't any fan on that side (vents from the top of the switch it seems.

If it end up with some overheating melted mess, eh fuck it.

Can't be much different than having a cell phone in a case, certainly makes that shit heat more, but never been a real problem.

Fuck it. I don't care. If they really designed it so badly that it's a fucking problem... eh.

I'll keep it this way til the screen protector comes.

But fuck you Nintendo. Fuck you for making me break my "no screen protector life style"

First thing I did was put a glass protector on it. The amfilm protectors on Amazon fit really well and come in a two pack so you'll have a spare.

Since there are first hand impression on this I went ahead and ordered this one as well. I had the Orzly brand but I've not seen any impressions and decided to go with one that seems to be gaf approved.

I cant think of any reason why the dock covers the screen. I bought a screen protector and failed putting it on and i am now at a point id rather take the risk of not having one

With all the little problems adding up, I'm glad I didn't pick up a Switch on launch unlike the last two Nintendo systems. Nintendo products used to be the paragon of build quality and reliability in the past, but with the various issues between 3Ds and Switch, it seems they've lost their way. It's a damned shame, particularly as these issues really didn't have to exist.

shira

We hear every day from our passionate fans just how much they love the new system, how innovative it is and just how much they are enjoying huge hits like breath of the wild and 1-2 switch.
Its been such a successful launch all around the world that fans are passionately asking for more switch hardware news already.
We hear that the fans want a better way to protect such a beautiful piece of hardware.
And at this years e3 we will be showcasing some brand new screen protectors and brand new docking stations based around some our most popular franchises such as mario and zelda.
You can see them first at this years e3 and they will launch soon after, this holiday 2017.

Reggie?

Hmm as someone suggested earlier, I used on of the bag things it comes in, to slide over the front of the doc to protect it. it is a very tight fit so seems like it wont harm anything.

Anybody think of why this would be a bad idea? The bag there can hurt anything can it? I'm thinking like heat problems or something? Obviously it looks dumb as hell but should protect it fine

cover.png

The problem is the inside of the stand has plastic ridges, instead of like a soft bumper, cause apparently Nintendo are fucking dumb.

How do you fuck that up?

Something that is going to slide in and out constantly and you make that shit plastic???

Ghetto solution

charm_laugh.gif

microdot

So is there anyway to avoid making contact with part that scratches the screen? I want to open it up and play so I'll just leave it docked until the screen protector shows up.

I cant think of any reason why the dock covers the screen. I bought a screen protector and failed putting it on and i am now at a point id rather take the risk of not having one

Yea, it's also been a bit of a challenge finding a place that has enough clearance for the Tablet to fit on top of the dock so it can slide in the dock. I would much have preferred an angle so the Switch could fit in tighter spots, especially since Nintendo doesn't recommend it go behind the TV.

nahlakhai

With all the little problems adding up, I'm glad I didn't pick up a Switch on launch unlike the last two Nintendo systems. Nintendo products used to be the paragon of build quality and reliability in the past, but with the various issues between 3Ds and Switch, it seems they've lost their way. It's a damned shame, particularly as these issues really didn't have to exist.

I'm kind of getting tired of comments like this everywhere. There is literally a thread called "why didn't you buy a Switch". You belong in there if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread.

Owzers

I've regretted buying a lot of Nintendo systems at launch, gba and then they made it backlit, ds in the clunky form factor and then rebought the ds lite, 3ds with the tiny sweet spot that I kept losing and rebought the new 3ds.

Switch definitely seems like the next handled that gets tossed out there but this time I didn't bite since Zelda is on the Wii U.

Edit:

I'm kind of getting tired of comments like this everywhere. There is literally a thread called "why didn't you buy a Switch". You belong in there if you don't have anything constructive to add to this thread.

This is me, but I presume people are going to comment on something in the thread they read about it.

Malakai

I'm really starting to suspect that this device was designed for a much cheaper price-point. I guess we will find out once Chipworks release their review of the silicon of the Switch.

AESplusF

Gosh I gotta say I'm really glad I didn't buy a Switch at launch, the console seems to be marred with all sorts of hardware issues.

Biske

Reggie?

Ghetto solution

charm_laugh.gif

Yeah its a debacle.

But this is going to be a huge problem. Just looking at the plastic and feeling how you slide it in, unless you are insanely ginger with it every time, its going to consistently be rubbing on those plastic ridges. I had assumed that the inside would be protected for such things, some nice soft thing, rubber, that foam stuff, whatever...

but nope its 2017 and some genius thought having hard plastic ridges to cradle a very scratcheable screen would be a good idea.

TheExodu5

Banned
I really don't understand why they sandwiched the Switch in between two pieces of plastic buns. Why not just have it dock without the buns?

maxcriden

I draped a microfiber cloth over the edge and into the stand for now. Might look at a more elegant solution later.

any reason not to do this? heat etc.?

--

The recommended one is the Nintendo Switch Screen Protector Glass, amFilm Nintendo Switch Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Nintendo Switch 2017 (2-Pack) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV/?tag=neogaf0e-20), right?

Any just as recommended? This one isn't slated to arrive till 3/9 at the earliest with expedited shipping. Or if not, anything I should put on in the meantime? :/

Thanks all!

jay

Yeah, these negative posts make it harder to ignore buyers remorse.

darkwing

The screen protectors will end up being scratched up and you're pretty much looking at the same thing. The dock needs to be redesigned to avoid scratching anything.

better scratch the screen protector than the screen, besides glass protectors aren't easily scratched compared to plastic ones

nahlakhai

How many times have you docked it?

Maybe about 6-7 times before I noticed this thread. Since then I've taken a bit more care when docking and undocking. I was going to get the official screen protector anyway but if its inevitable over a long period of time then its worth the investment.

Biske

They could have kept the dock design the same.

All they needed was some rubber rollers or something.

Its not that hard, anyone could have seen this coming.

Top Bottom