• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

neoglow

Banned
LTTP but could you just buy a USB C Male to USB C Female cable and just leave the Switch out of the dock?

Not ideal but it is an idea.

Will nintendo actually come out and address this issue?

Is this issue really so frequent? Is it really an issue? I slid the Console in and out very often in the past days and there is no scratch, not the slightest. And I'm using a screen protector, which should reduce the space even more and cause scratches. It doesn't.

Can it be, that some people are not handling their stuff normally and exaggerate things in this special case? Like bending the Joycons while attached to the console and then stating "Oh! Joycons are very wobbly after short time! Crap design!"

Edit: I've come to the conclusion, that my posting and maybe my answers may sound partly arrogant. I was called out for victim blaming. I don't want that, sorry if I did. Things seem to occur, no matter if they happen to many people or not. I am late to the thread and did not read to everything.
Also I need to add, that I use the original screen protector from the start. Maybe it slides better than the bare screen?

Maximo

Is this issue really so frequent? Is it really an issue? I slid the Console in and out very often in the past days and there is no scratch, not the slightest. And I'm using a screen protector, which should reduce the space even more and cause scratches. It doesn't.

Can it be, that some people are not handling their stuff normally and exaggerate things in this special case? Like bending the Joycons while attached to the console and then stating "Oh! Joycons are very wobbly after short time! Crap design!"

Come on I thought people were over making these assumptions, I doubt people are slamming their brand new consoles in the dock or mishandling them, its a design flaw that has effected the most careful of people (according to them) and its a issue that won't go away. Unless a new dock is made or you modify it yourself, I can't imagine how easily it will get scratched by teenagers/kids a market Nintendo has said themselves is for the switch.

leng jai

Forget the screen, I can almost guarantee that the back of everyone's Switch has several faint scratches on the plastic just from docking it or holding it normally. Nintendo never cease to amaze me with their shit hardware design, it's the Wii U all over again with plastic that scratches itself if you look at it the wrong way.

Seriously the dumb limitations and flaws they continually come up with every time is nothing short of amazing.

Shito

Forget the screen, I can almost guarantee that the back of everyone's Switch has several faint scratches on the plastic just from docking it or holding it normally. Nintendo never cease to amaze me with their shit hardware design, it's the Wii U all over again with plastic that scratches itself if you look at it the wrong way.

Seriously the dumb limitations and flaws they continually come up with every time is nothing short of amazing.
Came here to post this: the screen is not the only problem this dock can have, and a screen protector won't protect you from cases like this one:

C6JM8QDXEAEOyGx.jpg

From a French Twitch streamer.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

"It possibly couldn't be my own fault for not taking care of my shit. No! It must be the DOCK!"

Ghgghggh

Banned
I have a switch and so I find these claims over exaggerated. I don't see the dock scratching it up like people are claiming- unless they really are jamming in thoughtlessly.

The other problem I see are people adding in pads or the foam that came with the box- these are horrible ideas. The screen will slide past these and make contact with them and the friction caused by these things will cause tiny scratches. For the same reason, you shouldn't clean your glasses with tissue (Kleenex) but use the microfiber cloths which prevent tiny scratches.

Alucrid

Banned

i know right. it's not like nintendo has made hardware that scratches itself before.

Conan-san

There's a scratch on the back, which is a nucane but it's the back so I'm not entirely cut up about it. I was aiming to play it as a console anyway.

Still a bit of a nuscane.

fireflame

To everyone in the thread, is it possible to have other screenshots that point out this problem? Some people are pointing out this could be an attempt to promote screen protectors.

jj70

Neo Member
I was reading all this thread and thought about what if the Hori stand and this adapter work together?
We could get rid of all these scratch problems....

edit: this has the same switch ports (no memory or rj45 ports) and perhaps is more compatible... who knows...

nampad

I have a switch and so I find these claims over exaggerated. I don't see the dock scratching it up like people are claiming- unless they really are jamming in thoughtlessly.

The other problem I see are people adding in pads or the foam that came with the box- these are horrible ideas. The screen will slide past these and make contact with them and the friction caused by these things will cause tiny scratches. For the same reason, you shouldn't clean your glasses with tissue (Kleenex) but use the microfiber cloths which prevent tiny scratches.

To everyone in the thread, is it possible to have other screenshots that point out this problem? Some people are pointing out this could be an attempt to promote screen protectors.

And we are back to victim blaming or other "fake news" theories.

It's also starting to happen to the back side of the Switch so maybe "big backsdíde handheld protector" industry is making up these alternative facts.

fireflame

Nampad i totally trust you but could you take a picture of it on a diferent angle? This would help and contribute making light on the issue.

Edit:sorry, i thought you were talking about your own Switch.

Koren

LTTP but could you just buy a USB C Male to USB C Female cable and just leave the Switch out of the dock?

Not ideal but it is an idea.
Damn, that's actually a clever idea. I can't see why it wouldn't work, but has someone tried it? Any chance it could damage something (I have no idea how USB-C cables work, in case there's twisted pairs)?

Yeah, isn't the dock pretty much a passthrough?
It's not a simple passthrough, there's at least some electronics to split video and power. It's barebone, though.

I was thinking about opening the dock, extracting the electronics, and maybe 3D-printing a new, open dock, but the USB cable is a simpler idea till we see 3rd party docks...

Come on I thought people were over making these assumptions, I doubt people are slamming their brand new consoles in the dock or mishandling them, its a design flaw that has effected the most careful of people (according to them) and its a issue that won't go away. Unless a new dock is made or you modify it yourself, I can't imagine how easily it will get scratched by teenagers/kids a market Nintendo has said themselves is for the switch.

Assumptions you say. Well, I surely can not tell whom it happens to or not, despite being careful. It does not happen to me, I handle it normally and I did not modify the dock. That does not mean, it can not happen to anyone else of course. Maybe there is a variety in the production of the dock, I don't know. Or I am having luck. Or the careful people are out of luck. Or everybody tells the truth, since there might be an unknown a variety in the production process, which would be shitty.

i know right. it's not like nintendo has made hardware that scratches itself before.

Yeees, so that automatically means it must be the case again and everybody owning a Switch must have scratches by now. I know right. Thanks for your sarcasm.
I was just checking again, front and back, from reflecting angles that show every smallest grain of dust. There is nothing, fortunately. Yeah, maybe I'm just lucky.

fireflame

We would need a website or magazine specialized in tech to perform a test, like putting the switch on the dock and removing it 1000 times, something like that.

I can't even find a USB C male to USB C female cable.

I didn't want to bring this up, afraid it would make me look stupid. I found some pics via Google images. But females won't fit. The female is in de dock. You stick a male in dock. But I guess it is correct. You do need a female usb-c extension for the Switch tablet that ends with a male usb-c extension that you can stick into the dock.

Reading reviews for some usb c extension cables and they seem to have issues. Probably not worth risking damaging your Switch battery with one.

Koren

I can't even find a USB C male to USB C female cable.

EDIT: Nevet mind. Searched for usb c extension and found one.
I found several, such as:
61bt34ogTdL._SL1500_.jpg

Now, the question is:
- even if the Nintendo Switch use a USB-C type connector, is this really USB-C? I mean, there's several wires in the connector that are the same (to allow connexion in both directions, for example). Should the cable assume it's the case, will it damage the Switch if it's not?

- several users of those cables report issues with video signals (probably very low quality cable). Since you WILL transmit video in it, you still need to find a decent one :/

Ghgghggh

Banned

It's also starting to happen to the back side of the Switch so maybe "big backsdíde handheld protector" industry is making up these alternative facts.

In cas you haven't been paying attention, every negative is overblown x1000 with gamers- Nintendo, MS or Sony gamers.

I'm not saying it can't scratch, I'm saying the worry about it is over-exaggerated and that make shift solutions may be more damaging.

L.O.R.D

The fact that the Switch sits vertically in the dock would make that a pretty precarious proposition. You'd have very little keeping it from just falling straight out the front. Of course, if you leaned the dock back somehow, you'd be golden. Honestly, that's probably how the dock should have been designed in the first place; pretty much the same as a Wii U Gamepad charging cradle:

Hopefully there'll be a relatively inexpensive third-party version before long, because I don't particularly feel like Dremeling into my overpriced official dock :p

the new 3DS XL charging cradle is very good

tumblr_nb2fvgAQSD1qzp9weo6_r1_1280.jpg

Reading reviews for some usb c extension cables and they seem to have issues. Probably not worth risking damaging your Switch battery with one.

How can it damage your battery?

Edit: so okay, you need to be careful with the amps/voltage that are allowed to pass through the cable. But since the dock is connected to a power source it will prevent too much current to pass through the cable, i think.

This was not my intention. If I blamed anyone with my post, I want to apologise!

I want to add something: I use the screen protector that comes with the carrying bag (original). Can it be, that the surface of the protector slides better than just the bare screen?

M_A_C

I found several, such as:
61bt34ogTdL._SL1500_.jpg

Now, the question is:
- even if the Nintendo Switch use a USB-C type connector, is this really USB-C? I mean, there's several wires in the connector that are the same (to allow connexion in both directions, for example). Should the cable assume it's the case, will it damage the Switch if it's not?

- several users of those cables report issues with video signals (probably very low quality cable). Since you WILL transmit video in it, you still need to find a decent one :/

If this works that would be the best solution. Just hide the stupid dock in my entertainment stand somewhere and easily plug it in with just a cable coming out.

Dunlop

There are not many people who have had a Switch for an extended time yet, the original screenshot was from someone who was actively using it for a week.

Also...promote screen protectors for who? There are like a billiion companies that make them.

This is usual Nintendo oversight

Top Bottom