• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

s_mirage

Pic for what I am describing.
6j5vFRu.jpg

Oh dear! I wonder what degree of warp is acceptable for Nintendo's QA, because that really shouldn't be happening. Have they been cutting corners in order to achieve launch stock levels?

Guys it's a machine not a Picasso

I have a $10,000 guitar and it's covered with scratches. Each scratch is a story and makes the instrument cooler. Ever heard of distressing? Golden Goose Deluxe Brand sneakers?

You sound like a bunch of old women. Git gud.

PeterGAF

Banned

I have a $10,000 guitar and it's covered with scratches. Each scratch is a story and makes the instrument cooler. Ever heard of distressing? Golden Goose Deluxe Brand sneakers?

Bad comparison. Your guitar doesn't sound worse because of scratches. Trying to play on a scratched up screen is worse than a clean screen.

I mentioned this a few pages back. Someone is going to do that. I just know it.

Yea, I need that push of seeing it done to just say fuck it and go for it as well. Even if I didn't have any problems with it until now, even when I didn't have the thin cloth covering the plastic. I did notice some smudges at the very bottom of the screen, which I assume are from the small rubber things at the bottom. I could easily clean it off, but it kinda turned on my panic mode.

Not sure if anyone has done a similar test but I noticed yesterday. I got two switches - one for me and one for my wife. We put one dock upstairs and one downstairs. I noticed yesterday that the one upstairs felt fine but the downstairs one was SUPER snug on the switch. I had to like, force it down in. It smudged, but did not scratch my screen. I just compared the two docks side by side and on one dock the front panel piece is bending inwards, like someone cranked screws too tight and bent the panel inward. The other dock the frontpanel is totally vertical. I may try to take it apart later to see if I can relieve tension on that front panel but all it would take is some dust build up and i put that switch in and blam - scratch city. For now we are only using the one dock.

My dock is like this. I tried putting some foam strips on and I couldn't even put my Switch in because it was too snug. Ridiculous. Guess I'm not using the dock until I get my screen protectors.

eoa-swam

If you have previously spent $10k on a guitar, $300 is probably a drop in the water for you, hence the mindset of not worrying about the potential damage.

$300 to most people is a lot of money, so you expect an item you buy to be not so easily damaged due to poor industrial design.

Kinokou

Ouch, if the Switch was readily in stock, would it be realistic to get the dock replaced? Or would one need to exchange the whole Switch package?

I guess consumer rights vary by country, but it does seems like a faulty product which means those kind of rights should kick in since you didn't cause the problem.

I feel you and I've not even been going crazy over the potential issue, but people don't want their day one guitar or handheld device with a screen covered in scratches a couple of days in. I get a scratch two years down the line, then I'll maybe tell my grandkids about it.

Koren

Comparing the wearout of cheap plastic with overheating systems is kind of the very definition of hyperbole.
If it is, I really wonder which is worse... A system prone to cosmetic damage or a system prone to failure? Not sure I understand what you imply.

And yet to this day we still have people making blanket statements about Nintendo quality. Some fans even resorting to lying.
That's unfortunate, but I'm still not convinced it's really different from other devices with displays... The IPS/TN issue with 3DS was really annoying (even if Nintendo hadn't promised anything and I'm still not sure IPS is a clear winner) but variation in calibration is far from uncommon, even in pricey devices (unfortunately).

nampad

So you think it is weird and whiny that people don't want their new electronics to be built with flaws?

I can't wait for the stories of everyone regarding each scratch: "Hey, on "Wednesday after playing Zelda I put my handheld back in the dock"

So you think it is weird and whiny that people don't want their new electronics to be built with flaws?

I can't wait for the stories of everyone regarding each scratch: "Hey, on "Wednesday after playing Zelda I put my handheld back in the dock"

"Hard story bro"

Actually made me laugh a lot haha. I honestly wonder that if they ramped up packaging if they stuffed them in the boxes before the stands had enough time to set, then the pressure from shipping caused them to warp/bend. Mine definitely left some nicks in my screen protector.

And the guitar analogy is weak, do you stare at the face of your guitar in order to be able to make music? That is what the LCD is used for on the Switch.

Did that guitar come with a proprietary case that you were forced to use in order for it to function that is so poorly designed that it damages your guitar each time you use it?

RoyalFool

Banned

I bet your concerts are amazing when strings randomly fail to make the correct sound.

6j5vFRu.jpg

I was just asking someone yesterday if this might be what's going on. The Amiibo line had pretty much the same kind of random warping defects. I wonder if the real fix would be as easy was wedging something in there for a day to force the gap to widen a bit?

MrFlooD

Alright, so I took the plunge and removed the faceplate.

Good News:
- Works Perfect
- Allows me to place the system in my entertainment unit
- Super easy to do *as long as you have a Y-Tip screwdriver

Cons:
- Ugly
- Not as easy to dock

Now with Pics:
oGHhAyP.jpg

GhBiETY.jpg

hwy_61

Banned
I was just asking someone yesterday if this might be what's going on. The Amiibo line had pretty much the same kind of random warping defects. I wonder if the real fix would be as easy was wedging something in there for a day to force the gap to widen a bit?

Hmmm. That's not a bad idea actually.

I'm fairly confident this post was satire. Well, I hope so.

magnetic

Yeah, well, I have a 30 million dollar mansion and the basement is on fire right now, and I don't even give a flipping heck!

I'm fairly confident this post was satire. Well, I hope so.

I'm quite certain it is satire

Tendo

That is the current plan. Failing that and nintendo not wanting to replace it I'll pop the front panel off like the poster below showed.

Lucifon

Mine appears to have a slight bend. I've docked it once and refuse to take it out until my tempered glass arrives. Even then it might be too late for me.
You make it sound like your Switch is going to start wiggling around and scratching itself in the dock.

Vexii

You make it sound like your Switch is going to start wiggling around and scratching itself in the dock.
No, he makes it sound like it's already in the dock, and the act of pulling it back out whilst the dock is bent will cause the screen to scratch.

maxcriden

A couple issues I didn't see mentioned ITT yet:

Apparently at least some AMfilm tempered glass screen protectors has shown signs of melting after a few hours of playing the Switch while docked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xlfxy/switch_melted_my_screen_protector/

i don't know if they just didn't apply the protector correctly, if it is due to the adhesive the protector uses or if the Switch just gets too hot for a screen protector while docked.

Some suggested that perhaps (hopefully) letting the adhesive settle for a day or so before playing the Switch while docked will prevent this.

Discussion starts post #173 here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349755&page=4

--

And, the moleskin method:

Cross posting my moleskin method for those interested:

Moleskin
51uoU9E6o5L._SY300_.jpg

Just cut into shape and apply. They're self adhesive.

rPpKtuS.jpg

WImPatk.jpg

Honestly feels like it's built into the system. The Switch glides beautifully into place. Honestly thinking about putting it on the back ridges too.

Obviously this situation should never have happened, but I'm super pleased with the result.

I did this as well (we always have moleskin in the house for Disneyland trips) and it worked really well. One thing I want to point out is if you don't cut the space out for the rubber spots Nintendo already did then it's a tight fit. I originally tried putting the mole skin across the whole strip and it didn't slide in or out comfortably. After looking at the pic I slapped my forehead and cut out those spots. Perfect now.

On the bad side mole skin strips seems to give off debris. Easy enough to blow off of the screen gently and I'm sure it will go away after time.

(Also #paging immortald3ath)

For y'all using moleskin, are you concerned at all about the pressure on the screen issue that Kagoshima_Luke mentioned?

Kagoshima_Luke said:
I tried putting a thin microfiber cloth between the dock and the screen, but there was clear resistance when putting in/taking out the system, so I decided against it. I honestly could see the added pressure ending up doing more damage.

I've been careful when inserting/removing and the only marks I ever get are at the very bottom on bezel where the rubberized portion of the dock touches. These wipe away with microfiber cloth very easily.

Basically, seems like an non issue if you are careful.

appleofenlightment made a related post:

My first post at Neogaf! I've broken radio silence after three years because of the infuriating misinterpretations in this thread.

Sticking felt / cushioning to the inside of the dock will INCREASE the potential for scratching the screen:

1. Over time, felt and textile materials can easily attract and hold dust particles. Tiny particles of dust can on a micro level be abrasive, sand like and scratch the screen.

2. Cushioning the inside of the dock with textile material will make the space in the dock tighter for Switch to fit inside, and thus magnifying the chances of scratching.

Having spent a few years working closely with industrial designers, I would say that Nintendo's decision not to include soft material in the dock is absolutely right -- even though this may at first seem unintuitive. As for the plastic of the dock scratching the screen, I doubt it and I'm sure this has been rigorously tested by Nintendo.

* I may be wrong but...

I'm fairly sure the specification of all USB cables are the same. You have your different types with different connectors like A, B, mini etc but the pin outs on the end of a USB cable are the same.

There is no crossover like in network cables, a USB C cable from one manufacturer is identical to a USB C cable from another manufacturer. Quality may be different but the spec is the same.

All this talk of damaging batteries is twoddle, unless a cable is faulty, a normal working cable will work just fine.

Basically a decent quality USB C extension cable will work just fine from the Dock to the Switch.

Only one way to find out! Try it.

Google engineer fries Pixel testing USB Type-C cable

ColdPizza

Banned
Decided to undock to see if I had any scratches. I'm happy report I don't, though I had some smudges from the rubber bumpers that were tough to get out. Needed a slightly damp microfiber towel and some elbow grease to get it to come out completely.

Redocked it by making sure the screen never made contract with the front of the dock.

Top Bottom