• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

eoa-swam

I also took my dock apart like MrFlooD, and that inner section with the rails could essentially be replaced for something less damaging (or a non rail piece cut/printed and a soft finish applied. That entire section slides out of it's own accord.

(I have protective pads on the rails of mine as seen in the photos)

mN4CQ8G.jpg

lC3GIT2.jpg

after looking at the pictures I checked out my dock and sure enough it's bending inwards. It's not as bad as the picture above but it's certainly at an angle. I took some cloth that an old tablet had come in, cut some strips and put them on the rails. Hopefully it will be ok until the tempered glass protector I ordered arrives tomorrow

Caffeine

Alright, so I took the plunge and removed the faceplate.

Good News:
- Works Perfect
- Allows me to place the system in my entertainment unit
- Super easy to do *as long as you have a Y-Tip screwdriver

Cons:
- Ugly
- Not as easy to dock

Now with Pics:
oGHhAyP.jpg

GhBiETY.jpg

not bad I bet someone could 3d print a small cover for that lol

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Guys it's a machine not a Picasso

I have a $10,000 guitar and it's covered with scratches. Each scratch is a story and makes the instrument cooler. Ever heard of distressing? Golden Goose Deluxe Brand sneakers?

You sound like a bunch of old women. Git gud.

Do you accept scratches on your car/truck? Would you buy a dishwasher or TV with a big scratch in it?

Scratches might add to the cool factor for guitars and skateboards, but not other items.

A couple issues I didn't see mentioned ITT yet:

Discussion starts post #173 here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349755&page=4

--

And, the moleskin method:

(Also #paging immortald3ath)

For y'all using moleskin, are you concerned at all about the pressure on the screen issue that Kagoshima_Luke mentioned?

appleofenlightment made a related post:
Ugh I just ordered that tempered glass protector too. Well, I have time to cancel if this is confirmed true since it's backordered.

I have a $10,000 guitar and it's covered with scratches. Each scratch is a story and makes the instrument cooler. Ever heard of distressing? Golden Goose Deluxe Brand sneakers?

This is a joke right? If not this is one of the stupidest comparisons I have ever heard.

Like I said before it's a manufacturing issue with the dock being warped or too tight. I would hope Nintendo sends out a replacement dock for those affected.

I just checked mine and it's about as straight as it can get. Might be off by 1 mm at most. At least we've most likely found the cause, which means that people should be able to easily find out if they have any risk of this happening. This really sucks for those who have gotten it as bad as the left one in Tendo's pic. Nintendo really need to replace those asap.

Cranzor

For y'all using moleskin, are you concerned at all about the pressure on the screen issue that Kagoshima_Luke mentioned?

I'm using the packaging material that came with the Switch and I'm concerned about the pressure. I wonder if it's safe to take it off now that we know about some docks not being straight. I checked and mine is straight. If that's the only thing causing issues then I should be fine, but I'm not sure if it is.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I'm worried that some of the stuff people are attaching to the dock will actually scratch the screen more than the dock itself.

Especially those round felt stick-on feet. Those are usually some pretty coarse material to resist compression. Microfiber it ain't.

Personally I'm just going to get a screen protector. Although my dock is perfectly straight fwiw.

Also is it just me or is the dock more likely to scratch the bezel than the actual screen part? Not that that makes it OK.

Cepheus

I'm using the packaging material that came with the Switch and I'm concerned about the pressure. I wonder if it's safe to take it off now that we know about some docks not being straight. I checked and mine is straight. I wonder if that's the only thing causing issues.

Same here... If it is the only thing that's causing the issues, I think I might take the packaging material I put on the dock back off. I think my dock is straight. I can't tell for sure.

wyNOxq1l.jpg

clem84

Gold Member
I'm personally not crazy about the design of the dock. I would've preferred if it was something you simply place the Switch on, a little like the WiiU gamepad could simply be put on its base to be recharged. The base could be designed to lean a little to the back to make sure the Switch doesn't tip over. There wouldn't be any sliding in and out, it would be placed on the base. Easier to recharge too. It would be setup so that a contact needs to be made to recharge the unit, not an actual connection.

Maybe in a future iteration.

It will need an actual connection for the video out. I too would have preferred a cradle, but it always would need to be sort of "slid" in at the last moment.

omg the video out. You're right it needs to have a connection obviously.

Maybe a combination of the two? Some kind of cradle with a connection at the bottom?

KingV

I'm personally not crazy about the design of the dock. I would've preferred if it was something you simply place the Switch on, a little like the WiiU gamepad could simply be put on its base to be recharged. The base could be designed to lean a little to the back to make sure the Switch doesn't tip over. There wouldn't be any sliding in and out, it would be placed on the base. Easier to recharge too. It would be setup so that a contact needs to be made to recharge the unit, not an actual connection.

Maybe in a future iteration.

It will need an actual connection for the video out. I too would have preferred a cradle, but it always would need to be sort of "slid" in at the last moment.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
How much should I be worried about the added pressure the packing material adds? I cut it into a single sheet and it looks like it only adds a millimeter to the dock. I held a ruller next to my dock and I have one of the curving inward ones so I'd rather not remove this until a screen protector arrives.

Cranzor

Same here... If it is the only thing that's causing the issues, I think I might take the packaging material I put on the dock back off. I think my dock is straight. I can't tell for sure.

That's how mine looks too. I think I'll probably end up taking mine off later today and being really careful until my screen protector arrives.

dafodeu

Mine is bent. I don't trust Nintendo will fix this in a timely manner. I know they said they would sell additional docks for $90 are those available to purchase anywhere?

Koren

I know but whats the cause of this? does the dock have some sort of microprocessor or something?
Nintendo using USB-C connectors doesn't mean they use the USB spec for pinout and usage... Even using a USB-C extender is not a given, and that's assuming the cable follow the spec :/

Mokujin

After thinking it a bit I'm probably going to use some black velvet ribbon to cover the rails, should be both super soft and not too noticeable.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Mine is a tiny bit bent. It's like right between the two examples Tendo posted.

I figured I'd just be careful until my glass screen protector arrived, but now there's reports of those melting on the screen too? Christ, you can't win.

Mine is bent. I don't trust Nintendo will fix this in a timely manner. I know they said they would sell additional docks for $90 are those available to purchase anywhere?
Nintendo sells replacement docks from their online store (store.nintendo.com) for $60. Just the dock, no cables or power adapters.

TheJoRu

I measured mine as it was difficult to see just by looking. My dock doesn't appear to be bent; I'm not the best at measuring as I got a little variance as I did it again and again, but at most it was like 0,3-0,4 mm shorter at the top but in reality probably less than that as I got no difference in width most of the time.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I may just resort to pushing the back against the rails on that side and risking scratching that instead of the front.

First light scratch done on the unit by slidding it out and in. Its a straight line. Not on the screen but on the black border.
Yeah, for people that may not realize it (based on the alarmist topic of the thread), the screen will not be scratched by docking the unit unless you are crazy uncareful. The rails that face the screen are on the sides, so what will scratch is the bezel, not the screen.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Yeah, for people that may not realize it (based on the alarmist topic of the thread), the screen will not be scratched by docking the unit unless you are crazy uncareful. The rails that face the screen are on the sides, so what will scratch is the bezel, not the screen.

I guess I can live with some scratches so long as it's just the bezel.

hoserx

I have installed a row of velour pads on each rail so far. They are very thin but I think they will prevent scratching. I bought the hori screen protector (cheap version) and it too started to warp off due to heat. I ordered glass ones before that, and was just looking for a temp fix. Will wait until the glass protectors arrive. Velour pads seem to be working well though.

Hawk269

I know there are some in denial that this is an issue, but I removed my unit from it's doc, I only use it as a console, no need to use it as a portable and it has been slid into the doc only 3 times since launch and sure enough it did scuff up the bottom left/right. I only removed it since I bought a screen protector. It took about 10 minutes using a lint free cloth to rub out the scuff that the doc caused...but fortunately I got it cleaned up and applied the protector. Can't believe Nintendo jacked this up and there are the casuals that most likely wont even know about this and wonder why the screen is jacked up.

pompidu

This thing hasn't been out a week and people are already using tape and fabric; and out right tearing the dock down. This thing is a POS, I hope Nintendo will have some replacement program for you all.

Weevilone

This thing hasn't been out a week and people are already using tape and fabric; and out right tearing the dock down. This thing is a POS, I hope Nintendo will have some replacement program for you all.

I have more faith that someone will offer 3D printed dock parts that can be swapped in.

Ghgghggh

Banned
Finally we have some answers!

For anyone unsure if their dock is straight take a picture so a window is on the other side and have the camera showing straight through the open space of the dock.

Manac0r

I think I have spent more time obsessing about docks, scratches, cables and power packs than is healthy... so last night I just stopped. I sat down, docked my switch, picked up the pro controller and just gamed for a few hours with Zelda. Loved it! Please keep your Switch safe, but don't forget to enjoy it too!

My dock is ever so slightly bent, but it is not as bad as the pics posted. The screen doesn't seem to touch the dock when I take it out even when I try picking the unit up out of the dock while bringing it towards the bend.

This is a shitty comparison. You're comparing a guitar whose function is to make sound to a tablet whose function is to DISPLAY content.

Of course people will feel some kind of way when their displays get scratched.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I haven't docked mine yet, and likely won't until I tear the dock apart and construct something better. Padding and screen protectors seem ineffective against a warping dock opening.

I feel sorry for anybody who puts their Switch into this thing. It's the selling point of the system and you shouldn't use it. That's not good.

Top Bottom