• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

nampad

In cas you haven't been paying attention, every negative is overblown x1000 with gamers- Nintendo, MS or Sony gamers.

I'm not saying it can't scratch, I'm saying the worry about it is over-exaggerated and that make shift solutions may be more damaging.

Like the DualShock 4's bad analog stick plastics? Like the RROD? Like the YLOD?

The same holds true for the other side. Every issue has the same amount of people trying to downplay it.

I'm not sure if all these cables comply to the official specs. Seems that it's common to not get enough power to charge the battery with these extension cables. Plus there is the whole cheap cables can fry your battery situation.

But won't the dock prevent that from happening? At least passing through too much current?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was reading all this thread and thought about what if the Hori stand and this adapter work together?
We could get rid of all these scratch problems....

edit: this has the same switch ports (no memory or rj45 ports) and perhaps is more compatible... who knows...

In theory.. if the hori stand completely passes through the USB-C as-is, then a Hori stand + USB-C male-female extension cable might work? Connect the back of the hori stand to the bottom of the switch dock like a human centipede

You answered your own question there.
I'd be surprised if that's the case. It's not as if the Wii U gamepad sitting in a charging cradle is some iconic image that's been seared into the eyes of hundreds of millions of people. Even if that were a concern, just make a cradle with the same benefits that looks different.

Koren

I'm not sure if all these cables comply to the official specs.
I think they do... but I'm not sure AT ALL that Nintendo use the official specs. The fact they use USB-C connectors (and even the same connexions for power) doesn't mean they use data lines like the USB spec.

I remember them having non-standard Scart Cables (with capacitors in them) for older console... Switch a SNES and a GC cable (same connectors on both ends) and you'll get a black image in one console, even possible damage your console :/

Also, I remember seeing my GC power light on when the console was off... just because my PS2 was on and both consoles were on a scart electronic switcher... That's kinda scary.

I was excited that my screen protector was coming today, but its arriving at my parent's house...

So I have to wait until Tuesday at the earliest. I can't even order myself one for tomorrow because every Switch owner and their mums have ordered a screen protector.

It is, which is why many are now baffled why they didn't just go with a simple reclined dock setup like you see with most tablets.
That still isn't going to stop the cheap, soft screen from getting scratched in daily use. Gorilla Glass scratches occasionally, soft plastic has no chance. Even if you baby it.

javac

I feel that the main reason the dock is designed the way that it is compared to other styles of docks is the fact that it's easier to guide the switch in. The switch kind of just sits on the USB c connector and a more conventional dock would require you to click it in. There's other ways to design a dock that meets those requirements but this was probably the most elegant and also, it looks pretty different and cool.

That's something that I always thought was overblown over the Internet. Still have my launch PS4 controller and have none of that issue.

On my third controller for the first time in my life. I definitely disagree, in fact I feel as though people don't complain enough given the price of the thing.

Best wishes.

My first post at Neogaf! I've broken radio silence after three years because of the infuriating misinterpretations in this thread.

Sticking felt / cushioning to the inside of the dock will INCREASE the potential for scratching the screen:

1. Over time, felt and textile materials can easily attract and hold dust particles. Tiny particles of dust can on a micro level be abrasive, sand like and scratch the screen.

2. Cushioning the inside of the dock with textile material will make the space in the dock tighter for Switch to fit inside, and thus magnifying the chances of scratching.

Having spent a few years working closely with industrial designers, I would say that Nintendo's decision not to include soft material in the dock is absolutely right -- even though this may at first seem unintuitive. As for the plastic of the dock scratching the screen, I doubt it and I'm sure this has been rigorously tested by Nintendo.
Perfect first post. I wholeheartedly agree.

neoglow

Banned
* I may be wrong but...

I'm fairly sure the specification of all USB cables are the same. You have your different types with different connectors like A, B, mini etc but the pin outs on the end of a USB cable are the same.

There is no crossover like in network cables, a USB C cable from one manufacturer is identical to a USB C cable from another manufacturer. Quality may be different but the spec is the same.

All this talk of damaging batteries is twoddle, unless a cable is faulty, a normal working cable will work just fine.

Basically a decent quality USB C extension cable will work just fine from the Dock to the Switch.

Only one way to find out! Try it.

kingkaiser

Like the DualShock 4's bad analog stick plastics? Like the RROD? Like the YLOD?

The same holds true for the other side. Every issue has the same amount of people trying to downplay it.

Comparing the wearout of cheap plastic with overheating systems is kind of the very definition of hyperbole.

nampad

That's something that I always thought was overblown over the Internet. Still have my launch PS4 controller and have none of that issue.

And all 4 of the Dual Shock 4s that I owned have that issue and the stucking trigger. Nearly every other PS4 owner I know also has issues.

Only because t doesn't happen to you, it doesn't mean that it isn't true.

My first post at Neogaf! I've broken radio silence after three years because of the infuriating misinterpretations in this thread.

Sticking felt / cushioning to the inside of the dock will INCREASE the potential for scratching the screen:

1. Over time, felt and textile materials can easily attract and hold dust particles. Tiny particles of dust can on a micro level be abrasive, sand like and scratch the screen.

2. Cushioning the inside of the dock with textile material will make the space in the dock tighter for Switch to fit inside, and thus magnifying the chances of scratching.

Having spent a few years working closely with industrial designers, I would say that Nintendo's decision not to include soft material in the dock is absolutely right -- even though this may at first seem unintuitive. As for the plastic of the dock scratching the screen, I doubt it and I'm sure this has been rigorously tested by Nintendo.

I have one the socks that is scratching my glass screen.

Do you think this is manufacturing or overlooked during testing?

I am wondering if these were packaged too tight in some instances and the plastic is now compacted incorrectly instead of being tested post processing by Nintendo.

Osorio93

Neo Member
I was also esceptical on this, but today i just found a little scratch on the left frame. This is so dissapointing, because i had special care with a cleaning cloth inside the dock, and later the foam things just where they were needed, but IT did nothing i supose... i think i will buy a screen protector asap, but this is incredible

And all 4 of the Dual Shock 4s that I owned have that issue and the stucking trigger. Nearly every other PS4 owner I know also has issues.

Only because t doesn't happen to you, it doesn't mean that it isn't true.

Yea I had that issue on my first DS4 as well as the rubber on the analog stick rubbing off in very short time under normal circumstances.

Thank god i decided to apply a screen protector day one, i have a very small scratch on it, it's barely noticeable, but this really sucks, i guess i'll buy some rubber pads to help out :/

zelas

Zy8TFLQ.jpg
And yet to this day we still have people making blanket statements about Nintendo quality. Some fans even resorting to lying.

ValeYard

Great first post! I agree on materials building up dust 100%.

Tendo

Not sure if anyone has done a similar test but I noticed yesterday. I got two switches - one for me and one for my wife. We put one dock upstairs and one downstairs. I noticed yesterday that the one upstairs felt fine but the downstairs one was SUPER snug on the switch. I had to like, force it down in. It smudged, but did not scratch my screen. I just compared the two docks side by side and on one dock the front panel piece is bending inwards, like someone cranked screws too tight and bent the panel inward. The other dock the frontpanel is totally vertical. I may try to take it apart later to see if I can relieve tension on that front panel but all it would take is some dust build up and i put that switch in and blam - scratch city. For now we are only using the one dock.

ColdPizza

Banned
There must have been a huge run on these tempered glass protectors. I ordered Friday as soon as the initial reports of scratching came outa and still haven't been shipped.

I wish these things were available in retail stores.

tommyguns

Forget the screen, I can almost guarantee that the back of everyone's Switch has several faint scratches on the plastic just from docking it or holding it normally. Nintendo never cease to amaze me with their shit hardware design, it's the Wii U all over again with plastic that scratches itself if you look at it the wrong way.

Seriously the dumb limitations and flaws they continually come up with every time is nothing short of amazing.

This. Posted about this earlier in the thread. Shined a light on the back of the switch and the thing is covered in micro scratches. I baby this thing. Only been in the dock twice. Been wiping it down with micro fiber cloths and it honestly seems to micro scratch the back plastic material

ggx2ac

I haven't taken my Switch out of the dock often but, considering I did it now. I haven't seen any new scratches, just the smudges from the rubber pads in the dock.

Note: I still haven't applied a screen protector or did anything to the dock.

I'm still trying to figure out how the scratches occurred in the OP because that is where the rubber pads would be in contact with, I don't know what that person did.

One thing I am trying out although, I don't know if it will prevent scratches. I noticed that if I push the Switch back, it will hold still while I try to hold down the power button to turn off the Switch.

Maybe when I need to use the Joy-Cons for Blaster Master Zero I will do that again to see if it can hold still while pulling out the Joy-Cons.

AkumaNiko

So the PDP screen protector is getting railed on amazon, is there a good screen protector at all out there? I heard the official nintendo case w/ protector but its sold out

hlhbk

* I may be wrong but...

I'm fairly sure the specification of all USB cables are the same. You have your different types with different connectors like A, B, mini etc but the pin outs on the end of a USB cable are the same.

There is no crossover like in network cables, a USB C cable from one manufacturer is identical to a USB C cable from another manufacturer. Quality may be different but the spec is the same.

All this talk of damaging batteries is twoddle, unless a cable is faulty, a normal working cable will work just fine.

Basically a decent quality USB C extension cable will work just fine from the Dock to the Switch.

Has anyone tried it?

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Pic for what I am describing.
6j5vFRu.jpg

Can confirm, I have that too although not as bad. But it means having to wiggle it at a slight angle in order to slide the tablet in the dock correctly.

ColdPizza

Banned
This may very well explain the issue. I have not had any scratches from docking my unit carefully and its not bent.

Mine appears to have a slight bend. I've docked it once and refuse to take it out until my tempered glass arrives. Even then it might be too late for me.

nullpoynter

Not sure if anyone has done a similar test but I noticed yesterday. I got two switches - one for me and one for my wife. We put one dock upstairs and one downstairs. I noticed yesterday that the one upstairs felt fine but the downstairs one was SUPER snug on the switch. I had to like, force it down in. It smudged, but did not scratch my screen. I just compared the two docks side by side and on one dock the front panel piece is bending inwards, like someone cranked screws too tight and bent the panel inward. The other dock the frontpanel is totally vertical. I may try to take it apart later to see if I can relieve tension on that front panel but all it would take is some dust build up and i put that switch in and blam - scratch city. For now we are only using the one dock.
Let us know the results if you take it apart. I wonder if it takes a special screw driver?

Riptwo

* I may be wrong but...

In a perfect world, this would make sense. Unfortunately, this isn't the case, but at least we have someone testing cables.

kunonabi

I feel that the main reason the dock is designed the way that it is compared to other styles of docks is the fact that it's easier to guide the switch in. The switch kind of just sits on the USB c connector and a more conventional dock would require you to click it in. There's other ways to design a dock that meets those requirements but this was probably the most elegant and also, it looks pretty different and cool.

There is nothing elegant or cool about the switch dock. It's ugly as sin and a total eyesore.

Pic for what I am describing.
6j5vFRu.jpg

Has anyone tried applying heat to it and bending it back out? There's nothing sensitive in the front shield right?

I suppose if anything, it would be better to bend it slightly outward so you're got more clearance at the top of the dock.

tommyguns

This might be crazy, but has anyone attempted to just cut the front part of the dock off?

There are no internals in that bit of plastic correct?

Top Bottom