• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slightly Mad: "Wii U is more than capable of providing core Project CARS experience"

However, one system that has managed to remain in the picture is the Nintendo Wii U, a console which in terms of raw power is closer to the PS3 and Xbox 360 than the PS4 and Xbox One. Tudor believes that despite the disparity in polygon-pushing power, Nintendo's platform will offer something unique that can't be experienced elsewhere. "The Wii U is more than capable of providing the core Project CARS experience. Sure, some super-high-level graphical effects may not be possible but in comparison it also offers a unique interaction experience via the GamePad controller, with the second screen potentially becoming your track map overview, rear-view mirror, telemetry, or simply mimicking a real race car steering wheel whilst you use the gyroscope to drive.”

“Plus there are great possibilities to extend our existing WMD community into the Mii Community with discussion and sharing of content and ideas. There’s no realistic racing game on the Wii U currently yet, and we hear the fans crying out for one. Project CARS provides a Forza or Gran Turismo-like experience for those gamers and it’ll be something to really show off what the system is capable of. From our internal playing, it’s looking extremely promising."
http://www.redbull.com/us/en/games/stories/1331625870374/project-cars-the-ultimate-racing-game

Orayn

Hopefully it turns out well on a technical level. Hard to be overly optimistic about the sales, but good on Slightly Mad for trying.

Is it even coming to Wii-U

Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, PC. 360 and PS3 versions were canceled.

pixlexic

Banned
If project cars is really good. They would get decent sakes from wiiu and PC gamers.

I for one would like a gt game on PC. I've tried all the ones currently out on PC and they all miss the mark.

Expected this to be a Krizz thread. Lol. Also, I feel like those guys talk more than most devs... do they not have NDA's or do they not give a fuck? I mean.. clearly this isn't breaking the NDA, but still, talking about CPU power for Wii U and PS4 and stuff isn't really kosher for those guys.

a worse looking game compared to x1/ps4 is better then no option of buying it at all if you only own a wiiu

surprised that they are not releasing it on 360/ps3 as well if they are doing a wiiu port though

Phazon

They have a great chance to make a good racing game on the Wii U. I hope it'll turn out to be good and that Nintendo will help them get some coverage or exposure next year :)

A couple of months ago there was a wip Wii U screenshot of the game, but I can't find it atm >_>

scitek

a worse looking game compared to x1/ps4 is better then no option of buying it at all if you only own a wiiu

surprised that they are not releasing it on 360/ps3 as well if they are doing a wiiu port though

Is the Wii U version a port, though?

Orayn

Is the Wii U version a port, though?

Everything but the PC version is a "port." The Xbox One and PS4 versions are obviously more direct ports due to architectural similarities, but it started as a PC game and that's undoubtedly their lead platform.

kudoboi

If project cars is really good. They would get decent sakes from wiiu and PC gamers.

I for one would like a gt game on PC. I've tried all the ones currently out on PC and they all miss the mark.

its already playable on PC. its just not buyable right now due to some investigation.

stuminus3

Hmm, I am very interested in this only because they seem keen on making good use of the gamepad. The pad has a pretty good form factor for gyro steering, too.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
One thing is true, that this is the only shot Wii U has at a realistic racing game. Given the fact that they give the Wii U version similar attention as for the other versions (and the development for it started early so they have enough time to polish it until next fall I really have confidence that the result will be good. Remains to be seen if the Wii U owners will can be bothered to buy it.
I hope the developers will show some Wii U footage soon enough or at list BEFORE launching it, not like the other 3rd parties.
It would be also great if they reopen the subscription.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The guy that works on the Wii U version has also the expertise from Criterion as far as I know, so they should be fine in terms of Wii U development.

FyreWulff

And yet nobody will buy this on Wii U, right?

Considering how long the Nintendo console base has been wanting a realistic car sim game, I'd imagine it could do really well. They have no competition in that space. On Xbox they're competing with Forza, and on PS4 they're eventually competing with Gran Turismo. First party isn't going to exactly fall over themselves to promote a competitor to their own software.

See also: RPG starved base made Symphonia the first Tales game to sell over a million in the west.

wsippel

Banned
The guy that works on the Wii U version has also the expertise from Criterion as far as I know, so they should be fine in terms of Wii U development.
They have at least one of the programmers who worked on Most Wanted U, and Andy Tudor seems to be quite a Nintendo fan. He was one of the featured speakers at iDÉAME this year.

Lima

No analog triggers on WiiU means no one should buy this. A racing sim will never work on the WiiU because the controller is not capable of providing an adequate input method.

fabprems

tumblr_lo2zqb6h5P1qzsyre.gif

It's nice to hear a developer being positive about the Wii U for a change !

FyreWulff

A Million worldwide, you mean? I cant find any figures over 200K-250K for the US or over 1 million for GC total

That's probably what I was thinking of. It helped that Nintendo actually advertised it, too.

No analog triggers on WiiU means no one should buy this. A racing sim will never work on the WiiU because the controller is not capable of providing an adequate input method.

Gas on right analog stick, like most sim racers have supported. And some non-sim racers.

Not optimal, but not exactly a new control scheme either.

wsippel

Banned
The sticks are analog, and so is the gyro - which, by the way, is a lot more precise than the accelerometers used in the original Wiimote and Dual Shock 3. Slightly Mad plans to emulate a racing wheel on the GamePad, so gyro steering should make perfect sense.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
"The Wii U is more than capable of providing the core Project CARS experience. Sure, some super-high-level graphical effects may not be possible...

Oh dear. I wonder how much this title will be gimped on WiiU. Well done Nintendo for releasing hardware in 2012 that has the same performance level as machines released in 2006.

MYE

Is it even coming to Wii-U

Wasn't it Kickstarted with Wii U on the list?
Would be kinda horrible to axe away shit you promised in exchange for money (if that was the case).

I'd get it on Wii U (a retail release)

Oh dear. I wonder how much this title will be gimped on WiiU. Well done Nintendo for releasing hardware in 2012 that has the same performance level as machines released in 2006.

What exactly was the purpose of this post?

Orayn

Is it a retail or digital game?

$5 downloadable title, I hear they're planning freemium iOS and Android versions too.

It's a fully featured simulation racing game, all the consoles are getting a retail version. PC too, I'd assume, though most people who care will buy it digitally anyway.

Very excited to see the differences between the Wii U version and the other consoles. I don't know if they are putting in as much effort on the others, but they have been pretty open about how seriously they are taking the Wii U version.

They are actually trying. At least it seems like it.

Hex

Banned
Yes, because there is nothing that I like better than looking down at my controller for my overhead map or my rear view mirror.
Take the positivity when it comes, but it makes no sense in this case at all.
The Gyroscope is something that the DS4 has quite easily and the Xbox one can dupe it with Kinect if needed (not sure how well but I am sure it would work).
It is good to see devs given the chances to shine though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What exactly was the purpose of this post?

Because I really don't see the point of them bringing this to WiiU. It's going to look like a poor cousin to the rest of the systems and I really can't imagine how they will implement a decent driving model using digital triggers.
It's going to be horrible.

Surely you have another system you can buy this game on?

Log4Girlz

1 copy sold or 100.00 copies sold its all pure profit is it not, I mean devcost is payed for, and every copy of every platform is covered right?

Every minute spent programming the Wii U version will cost money. The game doesn't code and optimize itself on each platform. So will it be worth the investment?

MYE

Because I really don't see the point of them bringing this to WiiU.

They apparently did though. And its paid for so yeah...

It's going to look like a poor cousin to the rest of the systems

So do you copy/paste that post in every cross-gen multiplat. Wii U game?
See you in the Watch Dogs thread I guess.

and I really can't imagine how they will implement a decent driving model using digital triggers.

I play Gran Turismo 5 with face buttons.

PC. But I will wait and see how it turns out as I prefer playing racing sims on consoles and have no reason to buy either a PS4 or X1.

AGoodODST

Because I really don't see the point of them bringing this to WiiU. It's going to look like a poor cousin to the rest of the systems and I really can't imagine how they will implement a decent driving model using digital triggers.

It says right in the OP why they are bringing it to the Wii U, they feel there is a gap in the market for them.

What does it matter if it doesn't look as good as the PC/PS4/Xbone versions? It's still going to look fine, or are we pretending that every game for the PS3/360/WiiU looks like shit now that "next gen" is here?

The right stick will be used for acceleration I imagine and while not ideal, is far from "horrible".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes, because there is nothing that I like better than looking down at my controller for my overhead map or my rear view mirror.
Take the positivity when it comes, but it makes no sense in this case at all.
The Gyroscope is something that the DS4 has quite easily and the Xbox one can dupe it with Kinect if needed (not sure how well but I am sure it would work).
It is good to see devs given the chances to shine though.

Gamepad's gyroscope is the best on the console market.

And if you use the gamepad as a steering wheel, you can hold it slightly in front of you looking at it shortly as you would do also in real life driving with the mirror or the gps. Shocking concept, I know.

Top Bottom