• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. Brawl 'Spoiler' thread. -- Denial phase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure if the "load" hadn't been blown all at once like this then there wouldn't be so many bitter tears. They would have come eventually though.

NO *INSERT PREFERRED CHARACTER HERE*?! WTF SAKURAAAAAAIIIIII

EvilMario said:
Even if this list of 35 characters is the final list (which is great by the way), it's just because everyone is spoiled
There. Don't even need the last part of that sentence.

And you guys wonder why I say Smash Bros. fans are whiners. :p

After all the great character reveals already (not including the metric fuckton of different stages, modes and features) I don't really think Sakurai and his team have more to deliver - they gave us the full package, postage paid and then some. Seriously, what more could we want?

And don't say Ridley. Or Geno. Or Mega Man.

Scalpel Knight said:
A lot of people are saying that the roster (as rumoured) is underwhelming - why? Anyway, I'm almost certain that there is maybe a super secret character (or two) we don't know about. I mean, we are talking about Sakurai here.

They didn't get a character they want. Give them time. Let them wrap their minds around what we did get and then they will be ok.

Amir0x, it looks like you won the day.

I'm really only disappointed in ROB and Wolf's inclusion, which is a really strange thing as Star Fox is my second favorite of the nintendo Franchises. But I really just don't see what wolf will do that will make him that different.

Oh well, hope for the best and expect the best is the name of this wait. When will this game come out.

Jenga

Banned
[Nintex] said:
We got Sonic, Olimar, Lucas and Solid Snake, what more could you wish for?
Characters that are actually unexpected? Solid Snake and Pokemon Trainer are the only newcomers I was really surprised about. Everyone else, well I could care less. If that roster is true, the only thing I'm looking forward to is C.Falcon and the new Ganon.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
[Nintex] said:
We got Sonic, Olimar, Lucas and Solid Snake, what more could you wish for?

mikejones.gif

I'd prefer Nintendo dig up some more obscure series from the Famicom/SFC eras for characters, or stuff that is so completely off-the-wall and plays so differently than you're accustomed to that you would never expect (G&W in Melee, for instance)

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
djtiesto said:
mikejones.gif

I'd prefer Nintendo dig up some more obscure series from the Famicom/SFC eras for characters, or stuff that is so completely off-the-wall and plays so differently than you're accustomed to that you would never expect (G&W in Melee, for instance)

No.

djtiesto said:

Like Olimar? Or Pokemon Trainer?

underfooter said:
My only WTF is JigglyPuff and Marth. I mean, who really would give a shit if they were cut for other characters? Marth is cool and all, but there are so many characters with swords.

Jigglypuff and Marth are my two most desired characters. The fact that it has taken so long for them to be confirmed has been eating away at my soul. Now I need definite Marth confirmation and I will be happy.

19 is probably ROB.

Which makes all the people saying he's a Starfox character confuse me further.

It's like saying Donkey Kong is a Mario character.

I think the Wii movie scandal is proof that Brawl has the greatest viral marketing team known to man. Brawl has invaded every gaming website in the last few days. Some of the prophets must be planted by Nintendo. Others are completely fake. Either way, I can't stop reading. If you think Neogaf's thread is humongous, consider that Gamespot and IGN also have a huge thread and Brawl board, Gamefaq's biggest board is Brawl's, and Smashboards' population has multiplied times 100 ever since Brawl was announced. The hype has only been increasing too.

They are fucking with our minds. And they are doing a damn good job at it.

Updated the original post a bit for those who wanted a 'list'.

I know this thread is really likely to get locked, so I only spent about 30 mins throwing it together.

Grecco

Scoop-Li said:
How could this game not have an Animal Crossing playable representative? It doesn't make sense at all. The game already has the leaf icon, at least one stage (Smashville), probably multiple musical tracks, at least one item (pitfall), at least one assist trophy (Mr. Resetti), multiple stickers and at least one normal trophy (Tom Nook with nephews). To have all that representation with no playable character seems wrong. A moveset involving a shovel, bug net, axe, fishing rod or tossing random furniture would be a given. Using the fishing rod to grab the ledge of a stage for instance wouldn't be hard to implement. A final smash with a summoning of a swarm of insects to devestate the stage or constructing a large fossilized dinosaur to wreak havoc would be sweet. Oh well, I'm skeptical...

Yup yup. It would be the first time there would be a stage from a game franchise without a representative.

And you can be "violent" in Animal Crossing you can hit people with the Bug Net. So its not a stretch.

Draft

Fuck yeah, bitchesssss. Both of my go tos make their triumphant return. Jigglypuff for when I want to deliver the brutal beatdown, Ness for when I wanna fuck with some scrubs mind.

And don't say Ridley. Or Geno. Or Mega Man.

Ridley. And Tom Nook or generic Animal Crossing guy (would be cool if Animal Crossing Wii game saves supplanted the default Animal Crossing guy with your customized character).

djtiesto said:
mikejones.gif

Been playing Star Tropics all weekend. I think if Mike Jones had been included in this game, I would have likely been sent to the Asylum for testing do to delirious happiness.

Well, if that is the final roster, then I'm happy. I was happy with Charizard, and it looks like Ike will be fun to play. Roy and Mewtwo will be missed, and Geno would have been badass, but I think Wolf has some possibilities. Still not to sure about ROB.

SuperAngelo64 said:
Personally, I won't believe them until they have hard evidence.
For once, I agree with Angelo. :D

Odrion

Banned
People set themselves up for disappointment with "CAPCOM IS GOING TO HAVE A CHARACTER IN IT CAPCOM IS GOING TO HAVE A CHARACTER IN IT THEY HAVE TO IF I JUST WISH HARD ENOUGH."

Twig

Banned
Osaka said:
The fuck you say? Startropics > You
ShockingAlberto said:
19 is probably ROB.

Which makes all the people saying he's a Starfox character confuse me further.

It's like saying Donkey Kong is a Mario character.
http://www.nintendopedia.org/index.php?title=ROB_(Star_Fox)

Can't find a picture because I'm lazy and I also have no idea what he looks like or anything. But yes ROB is a Star Fox character (obviously paying homage to R.O.B., everyone's favorite buddy).

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_the_Star_Fox_series
Apparently he was called NUS in Japan. Who knew! (Clearly not me.)

According to Wikipedia, his name is ROB 64, according to Nintendopedia (lol) his name is ROB. Point being, someone who's more knowledgable of the series needs to take over from here because I'm just making a fool of myself.

Scribble

Is anyone going to miss all the anticipation and speculation for Brawl?

I'm generally happy that it's coming to an end. It's been quite mad, if you think about it -- all the huge threads across the internet, character lists, the memes, the podcasts, the daily updates, the 'leaks', the trailers, Snake and Sonic, individual megatons....I'll admit that I haven't seen anything quite like this in all my years of gaming, so it's been a pretty unique experience o_o

Scribble said:
Is anyone going to miss all the anticipation and speculation for Brawl?

I'm generally happy that it's coming to an end. It's been quite mad, if you think about it -- all the huge threads across the internet, character lists, the memes, the podcasts, the daily updates, the 'leaks', the trailers, Snake and Sonic, individual megatons....I'll admit that I haven't seen anything quite like this in all my years of gaming, so it's been a pretty unique experience o_o
It's been fun. But when I watch gameplay videos, I know I'm ready for this to end.

TheOneGuy said:
The fuck you say? Startropics > You

http://www.nintendopedia.org/index.php?title=ROB_(Star_Fox)

Can't find a picture because I'm lazy and I also have no idea what he looks like or anything. But yes ROB is a Star Fox character (obviously paying homage to R.O.B., everyone's favorite buddy).

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_the_Star_Fox_series
Apparently he was called NUS in Japan. Who knew! (Clearly not me.)

According to Wikipedia, his name is ROB 64, according to Nintendopedia (lol) his name is ROB. Point being, someone who's more knowledgable of the series needs to take over from here because I'm just making a fool of myself.
Yes, you are. I highly doubt ROB64 from StarFox will be the playable ROB, if he is even playable. He really had no major role in the Star Fox series.

Scribble said:
I'm generally happy that it's coming to an end.
It's just beginning. The fun will start when the game is in my hands.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm sorry, I'm not buying that ROB gets in over characters like Krystal and Ridley, who were requested by the fans on that big ol' Japanese poll way back when.

If he is in, may my face be slapped with a wet kipper at precisely 4:02am on May the 15th.

R.O.B. is in no way related to Starfox except for the name ROB 64 which was a tribute to R.O.B.

The character ROB 64's original name, as stated, is NUS64.

It's not even official, it's just something that North American Localization threw in because they enjoy meddling like that.

The same way people think Nester is a canon Nintendo character because the North American team saw the (coincidental) resemblance in the character Lark.

The true R.O.B. in Mario Kart and Brawl is based on the toy "R.O.B" (Robotic Operating Buddy), originally called "Family Robot" in Japan to go along with the "Family" franchise (i.e. "Family Computer" aka "Famicom").

RedBoot

Kjellson said:
Wait. Do you mean StarFox-ROB or NES-ROB? Then who is going to be icon #19? :/

Icon 19 could always be another Animal Crossing situation, a franchise with a stage but no character.

Twig

Banned
OliveJuice said:
Yes, you are. I highly doubt ROB64 from StarFox will be the playable ROB, if he is even playable. He really had no major role in the Star Fox series.
Oh don't get me wrong. I don't for a second believe that ROB 64 will be playable. I was just pointing out what people were talking about.

I was making a fool of myself because I didn't know what I was talking about, not because I believe unbelievable things. ): Jerk.

Neiteio

The MarkMan/Reno roster -- the one where Luigi, C. Falcon, Ness, Marth, GAW, and Ganondorf return, and Wolf, ROB and Toon Link are added -- is the first one I actually BELIEVE.

Why? Well aside from the fact they're established posters who are betting permabans, there's also the fact that a half-dozen other people are betting similar info with enough overlap for it all to add up. And among those "other people" are folks who predicted the delays, Olimar's inclusion and moves, when Sonic would be revealed (and the fact a movie would be included), and even the precise nature of the Dragoon parts a month before they were on Dojo.

My guess is Nintendo is conducting some beta testing with people in the fighting game community, and in the case of Prophecy of Ruin, who has in the past accurately predicted info on a half-dozen Konami games, I'm guessing he/she is connected to Konami and thus knows of Brawl by way of Snake.

Oh, and the regular ROB is already in SE:

modea06_070919h-l.jpg

So I'm guessing the playable ROB will be the extendo-arm one from Star Fox:

ROB.jpg

Like I said, with his extendable arms he could be the Dhalsim of the Smash World.

- N

TheOneGuy said:
Oh don't get me wrong. I don't for a second believe that ROB 64 will be playable. I was just pointing out what people were talking about.

I was making a fool of myself because I didn't know what I was talking about, not because I believe unbelievable things. ): Jerk.

A fool is a fool who will only make his foolish opinions of himself about being a foolish fool.

/von Karma

Scribble

I'm SLOWLY coming round to the idea of ROB being a PC. If this is true, it's actually pretty neat that he is playable:

Its most successful use was as a "trojan horse" to garner interest following the video game crash of 1983. Retailers, reluctant to stock video games because of huge losses they incurred during the crash, were willing to stock R.O.B. (with the NES) as a "robot toy." It worked, as retailers stocked the NES, giving Nintendo its first major foothold in the western market.[1]

He would have been a great WTF character if he wasn't in Mario Kart, tbqh.

Scribble said:
He would have been a great WTF character if he wasn't in Mario Kart, tbqh.

I hated him in Mario Kart and I'll hate him here. Looks like I've got a new comp character t beat up on though. Someone had to replace Pichu. :D

Scribble

crowphoenix said:
I hated him in Mario Kart and I'll hate him here. Looks like I've got a new comp character t beat up on though. Someone had to replace Pichu. :D

They should have used Tingle instead :D

Cynar

People saying the list is a letdown are a bunch of babies. This is a great roster. :D Just like someone said earlier, the only reason it may seem like a letdown is because they've already shown most of the heavy hitters.

Jenga

Banned
No, you see ROB is the kind of bad WTF character. Now let's say Simon belmont was in brawl. That would be the awesome sort of WTF, it took you by surprise and now you're hyped to see him in. ROB is the bad kind of WTF. Where you just go WTF and yell out SAKURAI over and over for ignoring the character you wanted in favor of a character no one really cares about.

tl;dr baaaaaaaaaw

Neiteio

NES ROB would be cool, but it'd be strange for a playable ROB to coexist with the non-playable, low-poly ROBs of Subspace Emissary.

For now, I think it's ROB 64. His name may be different in Japan, but these English-speaking leakers may be speaking of what they saw in the translated game. Plus, I can easily imagine a scenario where Nintendo, wanting to reposition the Star Fox brand for an upcoming Wii title, asked Sakurai to pick some Star Fox characters for inclusion, and so he brings back Falco and adds Wolf and ROB 64 because he thinks they're cool.

It could happen, crazy as it sounds.

Plus, ROB has been in Star Fox games as recent as Command. He always plays a support role, but he's always there.

Then again... If ROB 64 is the character's official name, and this character is simply called ROB, then I guess it IS the robot toy.

- N

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Guys, think about if they hadn't revealed most of the newcomers early, and only NOW did you learn that Lucas, Diddy, Wario, Dedede, Pokemon Trainer, Olimar, Pit, FUCKING SNAKE, and FUCKING SONIC were in the game.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Jenga said:
Most underwhelming roster evar
They've included almost everyone from last time, plsu they've added quite a few new faces, including snake and sonic. Now if we go back to before anything about this game was revealed, no one would have thought we would get just one third party character.

The roster isnt as big as everyone hoped for, but its not underhwelming.

Jenga

Banned
psycho_snake said:
They've included almost everyone from last time, plsu they've added quite a few new faces, including snake and sonic. Now if we go back to before anything about this game was revealed, no one would have thought we would get just one third party character.

The roster isnt as big as everyone hoped for, but its not underhwelming.
to you it's not

I was expecting master chief

Scribble

Crushed said:
FUCKING SNAKE, and FUCKING SONIC were in the game.

Yeah, Snake and Sonic's inclusion should put things into perspective. I was initially disappointed with the 35-character roster, but Sakurai and the Smash Team really hit the mark on most things playable character wise.

I honestly can't believe that people are actually calling the entire roster crap because of this news.

Neiteio said:
Why? Well aside from the fact they're established posters who are betting permabans, there's also the fact that a half-dozen other people are betting similar info with enough overlap for it all to add up. And among those "other people" are folks who predicted the delays, Olimar's inclusion and moves, when Sonic would be revealed (and the fact a movie would be included), and even the precise nature of the Dragoon parts a month before they were on Dojo

Here are the credentials of each leaker (from Gfaqs):

NyaseNya said:
- Predicted the exact day Sonic would be revealed.
- Predicted another delay.
- Said that Captain Olimar would be playable and have a whip-like move.
- Also said that Mega Man is not in the game.
- That Ridley is most likely a boss and nothing else.
- That Mr. Game & Watch and Ness are returning as playable characters.
- That Toon Link (Wind Waker Link) is a playable character.
- That there are only 35 playable characters in Brawl.

ChaosZero said:
- Accurately described the Dragoon months ahead of time.
- Said that Sheik is returning, and that she is still Zelda's Down-B.
- That Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Ness, and Falco are returning.
- That Lucario is joining as a playable character.
- That Mewtwo is cut.
- Wolf is in as a playable character.

Serebii said:
- Two more unrevealed Pokemon characters, one a veteran and the other a newcomer.
- Not all of the characters cut from Melee were clones.
- Has pretty much debunked any roster with Lucario and Mewtwo on it.

ShadowXOR said:
- Captain Falcon, Ness, and Marth are returning.
- That R.O.B. is in as a playable character.

MarkMan/Reno said:
- 35 total playable characters in Brawl (not counting transformations).
- 41 total stages in Brawl.
- Ridley is not playable.
- Falco is returning.
- Marth is returning
- Toon Link is returning
- ROB is returning
- Wolf is playable.

PortraitofRuin has said:
- 35 total playable characters in Brawl.
- 41 total stages in Brawl.
- Mewtwo cut.
- Lucario is in.
- Toon Link is in.
- Wolf is in.
- Falco is returning.
- Ridley, Takamaru, and Isaac are not playable.

As you can see, Nyase and Chaos Zero are the only ones who have actually proven their claims. Every other leaker has been a spinoff of these two. After the Dragoon update, there has been plenty of "leakers" who claim they know what they are talking about. Naturally, all of those leakers copied what Nyase and Chaos Zero have said. If you look at all of the 4 leakers after Nyase and Chaos Zero, the only real info that they added is ROB. And ROB is by far the least likely character to enter Brawl of the ones mentioned.

The new leakers are hoaxes in my opinion. Nyase and Chaos Zero have proven themselves ten times over. These guys are just riding the wave. Don't get so hyped about ROB just yet. ROB doesn't even make sense logically either. He is the goomba of SSE. If he's in it doesnt solve the mystery of who gets the missing icons. I would take what they say very lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom