• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Clones

Platy

With the rumor about the Sony Smash Bros surfacing again (thread here if you want to discuss this new rumor) ... this made me think ...

For such a fun game, why there are so few party-fighting games like that ?

I onlly know the Snake/Bomberman/Optimus Prime one ( Dream Mix TV World ), a very bizarre Digimon game for gba (but it may be 1x1 only) and Jump Superstars (and it's sequel) in the realm of "4 people on screen with specials being made with button+direction"

I'm missing anything or is this a really ignored "genre" considering smash bros sales ?
I know that the character's appeal have lot to do with the sales, but still, if it was only that people would have stopped playing/complaining about wavedash a long time ago =P

Then again, Zelda and Mario clones are very rare too, specialy these days...

I'm missing anything or is this a really ignored "genre" considering smash bros sales ?

I've always felt the same way. It's really annoying to see such a fun genre be mostly ignored. I guess a game like smash can take a lot of work to get right though, but still, I wish someone would try.

Big One

Banned
Been playing this a lot lately, One Piece: Gigant Battle 2

xprzE.jpg

45 characters, a huge and really hard campaign mode, a crapload of stages. Great sequel. Developed by the Jump Ultimate Stars guys.

Degen

It's a shame that Rag Doll Kung Fu was so bad. I got it while it was free and still wanted a refund

Gameboy415

Other than the Smash series proper, here are the clones I've played:

DS - Jump Super Stars - featuring various Jump chars
DS - Jump Ultimate Stars - featuring even more Jump chars
Gamecube - Dream Mix TV World Fighters - Hudson, Konami, and Takara characters. Examples include Master Higgins, Solid Snake, and Optimus Prime!
Gamecube - Battle Stadium D.O.N. - Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, and Naruto characters.
Wii - TMNT: Smash Up - TMNT characters and Rabbids. I believe some members of the original Smash team worked on this one.
PS3 - Rag Doll Kung Fu - Not a fan, but I like the theme song! haha
PS2 - Evangelion: Battle Orchestra - a decent clone featuring various Eva units and Angels from the anime "Neon Genesis: Evangelion".

And apparently there is a Smash-esque multiplayer mode in:
Wii - Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

I wouldn't really consider Power Stone to be the same kind of game (although Power Stone is a great series too!).

Platy

Well .. there ARE some games !

DON battle stadium is that one?

edit: I think its the same as jump my bad..

Googled Don and no, jump has THOUSANDS of manga franchises and is for Nintendo DS while DON has 3 anime franchises and is for ps2/cube

How was TMNT Smash-up?

Oh yeah ! Remember that one !

It was good, but the insanely small character selection decreased the replayability insanely ... i mean .. even Turtles Tournament Fighters had more characters !

There's the Cartoon Network one on 3DS and Wii this year.

*googles*
Is it good ?
I mean .. besides being able to play with Captain Planet xD

O
PS2 - Evangelion: Battle Orchestra - a decent clone featuring various Eva units and Angels from the anime "Neon Genesis: Evangelion".
Holy undergroundness !
How that flew past my radar ?
That don't sound easy to get =|

Forkball

Jump Ultimate Stars was an awesome Smash Bros. clone. Actually to call it a clone is a disservice, since it did a lot of really new and interesting things. But yeah, I always wondered why there weren't more four player fighting games like Smash Bros. Someone needs to make a Marvel vs. DC Smash Bros. clone, that's free money right there.

I always thought that the Naruto fighting PS2 games were very, very similar to Smash Bros. Very pick-up and play, very easy to understand but had some depth in them.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
There was a Medabots game on GBA kinda like it.

udivision

Typically it seems like most of clones aren't clones or at all, or are badly made. More like non-scrolling beat-'em ups that only feature 2-4 characters... Essentially no depth.

rpmurphy

*googles*
Is it good ?
I mean .. besides being able to play with Captain Planet xD
No idea really since I haven't played them. They look as much of Smash Bros. clones as one can get though. The Wii game apparently has its own SSE-like story mode.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
There are some good Smash Bros clones out there, but no high profile AAA ones which is disappointing.

Wallach

PS3 - Rag Doll Kung Fu - Not a fan, but I like the theme song! haha

Aha! I have been looking for this game for a while; my brother's kids used to have this game idling on their PS3 all the time (maybe for the same reason), and the tune would get stuck in my head for a while every time I would visit them.

Tain

The only really similar game I can think of is The Outfoxies, but it's more of a case of "Smash Bros is a clone of The Outfoxies" than the other way around.

DON and Jump Super Stars are really good, but it's hard to get that Smash Bros feeling right without using the Smash mechanic.

Dream Mix TV is pretty bad. I actually have the GC import of that. It's not good.

The Naruto GC and Wii games are nothing like Smash Bros. They're just 3D fighters. They're really good for anime fighting games though.

This reminds me that I should import Gigant Battle 2.

Seik

Banned
Jump Ultimate Stars was fantastic and I heartly reccomend it. Great characters and specials system.

Yeah I tried it once, a friend of mine imported it. The combat system seems awesome, the only downside is that I wasn't able to read/understand jack shit. If only it could be doable to patch the original japanese game with an english patch, that would be freaking sweet.

Platy

I edited the OP so fast that even giving a reason, it didn't saw that i edited =O

Another one i forgot !
The funny thing about thinking about this game these days is that it was a totaly unrelated capcom fighter .... THAT HAS MEGAMAN AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER, right UMxC3 ? xD

Oh yeah! Guilty Gear: Dust Strikers.
I'm surprised I forgot about that one, considering how much I love the franchise.

A guilty gear smash bros ????
How does that works ?
They made the specials simple or you still have to do all the complex stuff ?

Syril

Another one i forgot !
The funny thing about thinking about this game these days is that it was a totaly unrelated capcom fighter .... THAT HAS MEGAMAN AS A PLAYABLE CHARACTER, right UMxC3 ? xD

Yeah, but it was Megaman.exe.

Top Bottom