• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Brothers 3DS will support the C-stick on New 3DS but NOT the Circle Pad Pro

I bought a CPP for both the regular and XL and I don't give a fuck. The CPP is not, how you say, good. And C stickers are lame.

Scum

7MHUV.gif

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This ties in with my long held theory that the Circle Pad Pro was only made at Capcom's insistence in order to gain MonHun exclusivity. Nintendo themselves clearly never wanted it, and never supported dual stick controls in any of their games.

This ties in with my long held theory that the Circle Pad Pro was only made at Capcom's insistence in order to gain MonHun exclusivity. Nintendo themselves clearly never wanted it, and never supported dual stick controls in any of their games.

I can't understand why though....it's a cheap tool that dramatically increases the quality of the games....why are they are war with dual analog controls?

duckroll

Erm, Kid Icarus? :p

cacildo

When you say "c stick to ~smash~", are you takking about that charged attack that needs you to time correctly the button press with the stick pushing on any direction?

Is that it? The c-stick is a shortcut for this? Befause if it is.... its kinda lame....

Alfredo

Aw, that's super lame. I was thinking about getting a Circle Pad Pro XL if it was supported by Smash Bros.

I really prefer to use the c-stick for aerials.

flohen95

N3DS does not launch with an exclusive game.

Okay, you got me there. Didn't do my research properly. The point stands though - I can't remember an exclusive DSi game being announced alongside the system (and if there was, it would have been something like Eye Training or whatever that "game"'s called in English, and I'm under the impression that that came later on).

ZeroX03

Banned
Okay, you got me there. Didn't do my research properly. The point stands though - I can't remember an exclusive DSi game being announced alongside the system (and if there was, it would have been something like Eye Training or whatever that "game"'s called in English, and I'm under the impression that that came later on).

No, but they did announce DSiWare at the same time and it launched with 5 titles.

Sendou

Erm, Kid Icarus? :p

Supports dual stick controls?

As far as I know it only lets lefties use the added Circle Pad to control the character. It doesn't allow using both Circle Pads at the same time (one controlling Pit and the other reticule).

wilflare

sigh.
why did I even buy a CPP
I can't use it for normal gameplay..
(I would be happy enough if it's just the shoulder buttons remapped)

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardware/accessories/list_slidepad/index.html

Posted this on the Media Create thread, but it's probably worth a thread. So yeah, if you play Smash 3DS on a New 3DS, you get to use the full expanded control options, like using the C-stick to smash. But if you're playing it on the normal 3DS and hope to use the same control scheme on the Circle Pad Pro, you're out of luck. Nintendo has specifically stated on the support page for the CPP that Smash 3DS will -not- support the peripheral. Nintendo just gave a huge middle finger to anyone who supported that add-on. Lol.
Well, I guess I'll continue to have no further use for my CPP(bought it for RE:R and hoped it would herald more first and third person shooters on 3DS)

DSi launched alongside WarioWare: Snapped, and had other actual exclusive games such as Mario vs. DK and Shantae. Xenoblade is a 2010 Wii game.

I'm perfectly fine with the New 3DS getting ports. This decision, on the other hand, is complete bullshit.

Supports dual stick controls?

As far as I know it only lets lefties use the added Circle Pad to control the character. It doesn't allow using both Circle Pads at the same time (one controlling Pit and the other reticule).

Yup, pretty sure that's the case.

The point about the CPP blocking the IR port does seem most likely here. If Smash uses Amiibo, and the 3DS/3DSXL/2DS all communicate with the NFC scanner using IR, then anything that blocks it means you'd have to remove the CPP everytime you wanted to use the scanner.

If that is the case, and the choice for Nintendo is "Amiibo use" vs "supporting peripheral for some players" I can see why they went for the former.

EDIT:

Actually, even with the former being the case, supporting the CPP should still be possible, but with a big "non-optimal" disclaimer, unless there's some technical reason why the NFC scanner can't be connected/disconnected during play...
If it's not the case - if the NFC scanner for older models connects some other way - then yeah, it's shitty and I can't see the point ("Use the C-stick in Smash!" is hardly a massive plus for the New 3DS, for me at least...)

soxxx

Banned
This is even worse than not having Maps on the screen in Mario Kart 8.

Now I literally will have to buy a NEW 3DS otherwise I will be at a disadvantage when I play online.

Yup, pretty sure that's the case.

The point about the CPP blocking the IR port does seem most likely here. If Smash uses Amiibo, and the 3DS/3DSXL/2DS all communicate with the NFC scanner using IR, then anything that blocks it means you'd have to remove the CPP everytime you wanted to use the scanner.

If that is the case, and the choice for Nintendo is "Amiibo use" vs "supporting peripheral for some players" I can see why they went for the latter.

If it's not the case - if the NFC scanner for older models connects some other way - then yeah, it's shitty and I can't see the point ("Use the C-stick in Smash!" is hardly a massive plus for the New 3DS, for me at least...)
Good point, but regardless, it just means I'll be getting the Wii U version and may skip Smash 3DS entirely. By the time the NA N3DS launches I probably won't be interested on buying Smash again for a smaller screen.

New002

Smart/shitty move. I imagine Smash is going to be huge, so using it as a way to get people to upgrade to the new 3DS makes sense. I don't like it though, and I don't even own the system.

Another incentive to upgrade, I approve.
I don't want to be surrounded by OG 3DS's when I upgrade, that'll only lead to less interesting New 3DS Exclusives.

Do we know if the new "C-stick" and ZL/ZR will be usable in Circle Pad Pro games such as Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Resident Evil Revelations etc?
I've only seen Monster Hunter 4G use it and it's New 3DS enhanced I believe.

I'm going to assume that it won't.

GimMick

Wait, so does this mean that for a few months (until the new 3DS releases overseas), japanese players will have superior controls for online matches compared to all the other players, unless those players import a system for themselves?!

Nevermind the fact that you have to purchase a new system at all to get better controls?

Why has Nintendo allowed this to happen...

I do find it weird after Brawl and seemingly SSB4 Wii U support nearly every possible control scheme the 3DS version locks out one out of only two possible control schemes.

wrowa

Hey man, you need that extra CPU power to process those controls, duh!

Seriously though, this is a huge dick move and I see no legitimate way to justify this as anything else but a huge middle finger shown in the direction of every owner of an original 3DS.

Top Bottom